• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldergamer

Man, Let's rewind a little. The Xbox Gameplay Event was a missed opportunity to have MASSIVE pages of discussions and speculations. The biggest differences between XSX and PS5:

- XSX is tied to Xbox One for at least 1-2 year, then tied to weaker PC's for its eternity.
- PS5 will try its best to lure as much gamers as possible by providing next-gen only games that can't be found elsewhere.

Most gamers are excited about PS5 because it has a larger player base and it's the only platform to bring next gen experiences, not hindered by PC's, current gen, or potentially Lockhart. Everybody is going crazy to see how 1st party games will look like. Even if you prefer Xbox, it's more than likely you'll get a PS5 down the line if the games look too good to be ignored.

The biggest hitter to the Xbox sales is merging with PC gamers that already have insane attachment to Steam. I would expect the sales of X1X would be A LOT higher than now, and we all know that Xbox already has very little attractive games but Forza Horizon games around here are a console seller. Same goes to Zelda on the Switch, I might buy the Switch just to play Zelda.

Lockhart, XB1, and PC attachment is really fading the vibrant colors of the XSX.
This is a tired argument. No the older console isn't going to hold back a title any more than a low end PC held back how gears of war 5 looked and played ( Which it didn't ). Games that scale is nothing new. Single games could have different features, render paths, you name it. Xbox is NOT tied to PC in anyway. I don't know where you get that failed narrative from.

When MS shows first party games ( and we have already seen glipses of a few) that look as good or better then anything you have seen coming, then i'm sure you will change the argument back to "Xbox has no exclusives", or "MS should sell the xbox division", or the best one ever - "It only sells in america and england anyway".

bitbydeath

you guys know that Sony has more than a PS5 reveal or games reveal or even specs reveal .. right ?

well .. don't forget Software FEATURES regarding :

UI
Download methods
Voice Command
Party
Standby mode ( Enhanced or Optimized hee hee )
and so many we don't know

I'm more interested in these more than a PS5 reveal

Same. Thinking we won’t see that until at least August though. Firmware is often a work in progress right up until release.

B_Boss

Man, Let's rewind a little. The Xbox Gameplay Event was a missed opportunity to have MASSIVE pages of discussions and speculations. The biggest differences between XSX and PS5:

- XSX is tied to Xbox One for at least 1-2 year, then tied to weaker PC's for its eternity.
- PS5 will try its best to lure as much gamers as possible by providing next-gen only games that can't be found elsewhere.

Most gamers are excited about PS5 because it has a larger player base and it's the only platform to bring next gen experiences, not hindered by PC's, current gen, or potentially Lockhart. Everybody is going crazy to see how 1st party games will look like. Even if you prefer Xbox, it's more than likely you'll get a PS5 down the line if the games look too good to be ignored.

The biggest hitter to the Xbox sales is merging with PC gamers that already have insane attachment to Steam. I would expect the sales of X1X would be A LOT higher than now, and we all know that Xbox already has very little attractive games but Forza Horizon games around here are a console seller. Same goes to Zelda on the Switch, I might buy the Switch just to play Zelda.

Lockhart, XB1, and PC attachment is really fading the vibrant colors of the XSX.

Interestingly enough Bo, some here have rationally argued that 3rd parties (for example) will indirectly hold back PS5 due to its unique features such as its super speedy SSD 🤔...that 3rd party devs will not spend the time (assuming certain contexts of course...) creating a unique experience for each platform’s player base. I must also say that this wasn’t the case when it came to pixel counts (earliest I remember for PS4/XBO was BF4, with BF4 being 900p/PS4 and 720p/XBO) so I’m not sure how strong that argument is but we’ll certainly see.

I think it’s also interesting that Tom (Moore’s Law/MLiD) stated that DICE had mentioned that they’re pretty much taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware/software, which is music to my ears if true 🔥.

This is a tired argument. No the older console isn't going to hold back a title any more than a low end PC held back how gears of war 5 looked and played ( Which it didn't ). Games that scale is nothing new. Single games could have different features, render paths, you name it. Xbox is NOT tied to PC in anyway. I don't know where you get that failed narrative from.

When MS shows first party games ( and we have already seen glipses of a few) that look as good or better then anything you have seen coming, then i'm sure you will change the argument back to "Xbox has no exclusives", or "MS should sell the xbox division", or the best one ever - "It only sells in america and england anyway".
Funny.

That "failed narrative" comes from Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry) :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👇
Lowering world detail may be a potential strategy in getting games designed for an SSD to run from a mechanical hard drive too - but as well as density of objects, the variety of them may well need to be cut back too. This is where I feel that the generational leap may cause some genuine issues.

It's right here where we have to wonder if the scale and scope of new games will be limited by the need to also support the 5400rpm mechanical laptop drives found in the base Xbox One.

Source:

Last edited:

jose4gg

This isn't a tired argument, let me explain why...

- Before Nanite game developers needed to create multiple versions of the 3D objects they built, this is a manual process that takes time, effort, and money. To do this not just for the next generation of consoles but for the old generation is a hard thing to do and can take one of two things, time or quality of the end result for one of the devices. And... Nanite isn't even out there, So don't think developers can just throw assets so easily.

- Game design can vary depending on the machine, there are some areas in the latest God Of War (and in most recent games) that aren't possible in PS3 no matter how much low-quality assets and animation you use. How big is the map, how many elements it has, how many enemies should have, how strong the enemies should be, and how demanding the code behind the interaction of these enemies is for the actual machine? You limit game design by having these limits you can't react in old machines.

- New APIs missed. Every console introduces new APIs that helps the overall performance of the games, you will have a hard time trying to use a new API for a new machine knowing that you will need to use other strategies for the old machine, you can't simply update the old machine, especially when some of these technologies are tight to the actual hardware of the new consoles. I can give you a great example of this in the phone market, have you seen how fast people implement the new APIs for IOS like AR functionalities, but how they take a little more time for Android, is simple, in Android you don't expect all users to have the latest version of Android with the new APIs. but in IOS you can guarantee that almost all users have the latest software upgrade.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Funny.

That "failed narrative" comes from Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry) :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👇

Source:

Well, that may be DF's opinion, but for my part, I hope that developers will take the time to modify their code for each piece of hardware and platform as well. I do hope that their patch for a game for XSX will take advantage of it's strengths over the XBoX for example. By the same token I hope that multi-platform games for PS4 and PS5 will get a patch that takes advantage of the PS5. Or even if it's just a "next gen" game, I'm hoping the developers will take a bit of time to make the PS5 version take advantage of it's strengths and the same for XSX. I do think MS has a tougher road on this one and if the developers DON'T do this, MS will have to find a way to hold their feet to the fire because that would obviously be very bad for their new XSX hardware and user base. I think Sony's got an easier time of it here, as "next gen" games won't be required to run on other, earlier Sony hardware.

But still...if the Devs don't make the PS5 version take advantage of that speedy SSD over the XSX version for example, Sony will need to find a way to get them to do it. Fortunately, I don't think this is likely to be an issue for Sony. I'm still not thinking it's TOO likely but it's definitely MORE of a possibility that MS has to fight this type of issue due to the much larger variety of hardware they are looking to support. We shall see. I guess the driving factor for both companies will be how well their new hardware sells. If the PS5 picks up where the PS4 left off with market domination, developers might be less inclined to support all these new features for Microsoft's hardware family. Vice versa as well if the XSX takes off like a rocket. I think we all know that in the end, each company's first party offerings are likely to do the bulk of the positive advertising for them.

Exodia

Banned
regardless, that employee is most likely busy with his RTX 2017 laptop and updating his CV in 60 fps

What settings though? Medium, high, or ultra?

Obviously the exact same demo.
Here is the live stream on Youtube.
Hurry and watch before Tim finds out and takes it down.
You can Google translate the time stamps and confirm that he was talking about running it on a dev laptop in editor and getting 40 FPS.
This was in exact response to a question of can the demo run on PC.
  • 53:00, he said their dev laptop can already run the tech demo at 40fps+ in the editor, their current optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:07:00, Someone asked whether 8gb bandwidth on PS5's SSD is true, the developer said that's a question to ask Sony. And then he said high-performance SSD will definitely help streaming, because Nanite and Lumen require good IO but the requirement to run the demo they showed doesn't require the specs as high as PS5's SSD (decent SSD is ok).
Remember this is a Q&A Livestream where they are answering questions from the chat.

YTFwGbV.png

Last edited:

ToadMan

Well, excuse me for trying to understand the Xbox. It's not as if we already know most things regarding the PS5 architecture, and relatively little of the XSX...

The xsx is already much better understood than the PS5... what are you talking about?

They've released more specs and we know what it looks like and the cooling solution they've gone for.

With all of that information, MS is releasing a console which follows the same paradigm as OG xbox, 360, xb1, xbx. Its the most understood of any console currently in discussion - in fact it may be the most well understood pre-release console ever! Which is why not too many people are talking about it - there's nothing new, there's no revolution, there's no risk - its a "safe" iteration of what has come before.

I remember John Lineman also said some things about that as well.
From a comercial point of view I get why MS is doing the non exclusive thing, but man, you are about to relase a 12tf monster machine and you are not going to use its full potencial for 1/2 years? 🤷‍♂️

I hope they re-think this and we dont have to wait 2 years to see a fully developed game only for the Series X.

It is time to left the PS4 and XB1 behind.

Personal opinion here.

Last edited:

The things is a game as you describe which always scale doesn't matter the hardware is not about if is impossible, the word should is unrealistic.

The games even in PC establish a minim spectrum when the game is playable and recommended when is the dev think is the optimal experience, yes
most games are designed for be played in PC to 60, if you increment the spec of your PC you only will increment the framerate until the engine is capable
but in the end a game experience is the same if you play in 60,120,240 Hz, I mean the game experience not the fluidity of the game.

But that doesn't mean is realistic from a studio use as minum the GT 210 and the recommended the RTX 2080, because the quantity of work in order achieve this will
require a stupid number of time and money which you will not find in this world. That is why the development establish a goal, also usually for this reason the biggest
steps in graphics and some mechanics happens in the jump of generation, basically as being the main market for most the studios its threshold moves with the consoles
so now the can focus in do other things.

You usually see example of game which looks better than before but are not so impressive because those games are intergenerational, so in this situations they only have a couple
of options:

1-Dev the game as always and only use the high settings of PC in the new console (Assassin's Creed Valhalla) this is the most common
2-Make two versions of the same games and mechanics (Titanfall) this is weird as is expensive
3.-Something similar as the first but also they need to remove mechanics because in order to make it work they needs something of a most recent hardware has (Nemesis system of Shadow of Mordor )
4.-Base your game in the new console and then cut probably with not enough time to optimize for the weaker console (Forza Horizon 2) even this games can have worse graphics than its prequel

Note: you should avoid the use of strawman fallacy as in your last paragraph.

Last edited:

HAL-01

From a comercial point of view I get why MS is doing the non exclusive thing, but man, you are about to relase a 12tf monster machine and you are going to use its full potencial for 1/2 years? 🤷‍♂️

I hope they re-think this and we could see a Series X game coded & developed only for their new console in only 1 year.

It is time to left the PS4 and XB1 behind.

Personal opinion here.
The only way MS would be able to squeeze as much as they can from the series x while still supporting older consoles would be if the xbox one & x versions of games look like absolute shit, as in 720p sub 30fps on the one, and perhaps 1440p on the X. Similar to Ground Zeroes on last gen where the ps360 versions ran at around 600p, while PS4 ran 1080p60.
Even then there'll be a few features (mostly ssd exclusive ones) that the Series x wont be able to fully benefit from due to the game being designed around hard drives

Have we already seen XSX IO capabilities in the quick resume tech demo they showcased ?

All games have a consistent 5-6 seconds load time between switches. They flush out 13.5GB RAM between the switches.

If my amateur speculation is correct, it takes 5-6 seconds to fill up 13.5GB RAM. This is 2.25 GB/s to 2.7 GB/s of transfer speeds and does not depend on type of game.

As those games wasn’t even optimized for Xbox Series X yet. So rough Game swapping loading in 5-6 seconds is impressive. I would assume PS5 could do that in half the time. Which means everybody will benefit next gen.

FeiRR

Banned
They could do 2160p at 120hz for PSVR2 too. I am not sure which should be the best for VR. I think with a great screen 1440p could be enough and downsampling from higher resolution image should help (particularly with PS5 Pro). But what I am pretty sure is that they are going to max out the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth (like they maxed out the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth with PSVR1). So it should be either 2160p at 120hz or 1440p at 240hz.
My friend dev who made games for PSVR and also has experience with probably all major headsets told me that refresh rate is the crucial thing so even lower resolution is a good trade-off if you can hit more FPS. It is tied to other factors like responsiveness of the headset (sensor lags) and ghosting of the display. Basically, the less lag and higher Hz, the more immersive a VR headset is. He also told me that PSVR is a very good balance between price and specs. Personally, I'm not a big fan of VR because the tech is quite immature yet. I hate the big bucket on my head and sweating in it. I had a chance to try several prototypes of PSVR before it was even announced, in game playtests and then I was given one as a gift but I didn't use it much, probably around 10 times when I owned it. I sold it because it was collecting dust (I don't like things lying around if they can be enjoyed by others) and I'll hold my judgement until I can try the next iteration.

Congrats! Is that Kitboga in your avatar? I love watching tech scam videos and his are something.

🤔
Days of play in June:

Isn't days of play always next to E3?
Correct but since no E3 this year, they'll have them around the reveal. I read somewhere that PS+ will be on 30% discount. I'll bite since mine ends in September. What a pity they don't make Platinum headsets anymore. I really need a new one.

In just a few months, these next gen beasts will be released and we'll all be smiling with tears in our eyes, and some lotion.

On another note, Xbox Series X has up to 5 suspended games and PS5 up to 4, right? Or did I imagine that stuff when I was drunk (which is often).
I hope there's an option in the OS to choose how many slots you want to have. I'd choose 2 and have more precious SSD space for games.

Xbox is NOT tied to PC in anyway. I don't know where you get that failed narrative from.
Surely that Xbox icon in my Windows start menu is probably just a link to some website...

the best one ever - "It only sells in america and england anyway".
This is also true. If you claim otherwise, show your tickets.

Interestingly enough Bo, some here have rationally argued that 3rd parties (for example) will indirectly hold back PS5 due to its unique features such as its super speedy SSD 🤔...that 3rd party devs will not spend the time (assuming certain contexts of course...) creating a unique experience for each platform’s player base. I must also say that this wasn’t the case when it came to pixel counts (earliest I remember for PS4/XBO was BF4, with BF4 being 900p/PS4 and 720p/XBO) so I’m not sure how strong that argument is but we’ll certainly see.

I think it’s also interesting that Tom (Moore’s Law/MLiD) stated that DICE had mentioned that they’re pretty much taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware/software, which is music to my ears if true 🔥.
Same here. I probably spend half of my gaming time with Battlefield so how it looks and performs is very important. I don't think I need higher resolution than BFV has on Pro but better framerate would be great. This comes from someone who plays 1 metre from a 55" screen. I don't know anyone else who does that. My favourite style is close to mid-range DMR with minimal scope or iron sights.

Well, that may be DF's opinion, but for my part, I hope that developers will take the time to modify their code for each piece of hardware and platform as well. I do hope that their patch for a game for XSX will take advantage of it's strengths over the XBoX for example. By the same token I hope that multi-platform games for PS4 and PS5 will get a patch that takes advantage of the PS5. Or even if it's just a "next gen" game, I'm hoping the developers will take a bit of time to make the PS5 version take advantage of it's strengths and the same for XSX. I do think MS has a tougher road on this one and if the developers DON'T do this, MS will have to find a way to hold their feet to the fire because that would obviously be very bad for their new XSX hardware and user base. I think Sony's got an easier time of it here, as "next gen" games won't be required to run on other, earlier Sony hardware.

But still...if the Devs don't make the PS5 version take advantage of that speedy SSD over the XSX version for example, Sony will need to find a way to get them to do it. Fortunately, I don't think this is likely to be an issue for Sony. I'm still not thinking it's TOO likely but it's definitely MORE of a possibility that MS has to fight this type of issue due to the much larger variety of hardware they are looking to support. We shall see. I guess the driving factor for both companies will be how well their new hardware sells. If the PS5 picks up where the PS4 left off with market domination, developers might be less inclined to support all these new features for Microsoft's hardware family. Vice versa as well if the XSX takes off like a rocket. I think we all know that in the end, each company's first party offerings are likely to do the bulk of the positive advertising for them.
I think we have a lot of examples how it works since we had a mid-gen refresh. Look at Pro and X enhancements of games: they are mostly resolution/framerate and a few effects here and there, nothing much. The reason is that both enhanced consoles are quite niche. The majority of customers on both sides have the base machines and those have to be catered to. Since we're getting BC, it'll be much easier for devs and publishers to patch their current games than release new ones so, I think, we're going to get patches for a lot of current titles, definitely for most "game as service" ones and those which still sell either the game or DLCs. Unfortunately, the huge success of PS4 is going to drag some titles back because it's over 100 million potential customers. However, at the same time, the difference in gaming experiences between generations seems to be huge this time, too, at least in the PS camp. People like new, flashy things and they'll buy new consoles to have those experiences. I'm going to buy as many next-gen only games as I can to support that shift because I like new technologies. I used to travel quite a lot, spending most of my money on that. Since that world is mostly dead now, I think gaming is what I have left.

HAL-01

You can Google translate the time stamps and confirm that he was talking about running it on a dev laptop in editor and getting 40 FPS.
  • 53:00, he said their dev laptop can already run the tech demo at 40fps+ in the editor, their current optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:07:00, Someone asked whether 8gb bandwidth on PS5's SSD is true, the developer said that's a question to ask Sony. And then he said high-performance SSD will definitely help streaming, because Nanite and Lumen require good IO but the requirement to run the demo they showed doesn't require the specs as high as PS5's SSD (decent SSD is ok).
Where do i find these translations? subtitles arent enabled on the video so i dont know what you mean by google translating

Exodia

Banned
Thanks - I hadn't seen this yet.

So it really was just an mp4 video playing.... seems like whoever tried to say this was running on a laptop was.... grossly misinformed let's say.

No....did you even read anything i posted? The cheif engineer wasn't talkng about the video they are playing.
I feel like people are purposeful refusing to acknowledge this obvious truth.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I think RedGamingTech might be onto something when he was talking about a possible Zen 3 feature on the PS5's CPU. It gives Sony's recent cooling patent more credence since it all has to do with minimizing latency.

(timestamped)

CCX (stands for CPU CompleX/Core CompleX) is a term used by AMD to describe a four-core cluster and their L1, L2 and L3 caches, found in Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 processors. So, ASSUMING the PlayStation 5 has this Zen 3 feature, this is the layout for an 8-core Zen 2 CPU (ignore the amount of MB in the caches):

RW3ve7U.png

L1 cache memory is on the core itself with L2 being right outside the core, the L3 cache is also located outside the cores but are also split into 4 different sections. By looking at this image, you can tell there are 2 CCX's linked by an Infinity Fabric interconnect to form an 8-core CPU. Now, the point Paul's trying to make is that some calculations require a core like core 1 for example on the top CCX, to access the L3 cache of core 6 & 7, both of which reside on the BOTTOM CCX, and that causes latency issues.

Here is Zen 3's layout compared to Zen 2's:

I9gy4Vz.jpg

You can see that the L3 cache is unified now, minimizing latency in the process because this is now technically a ONE BIG 8-core CCX chip WITHOUT an Infinity Fabric interconnect linking them. There aren't 2 separate CCX's anymore because of this microarchitecture design, which is pretty insane to think about. How does this give credence to Sony's cooling patent? Well, Paul says that one of his sources told him that Sony's trying to minimize latency as much as possible overall with the PS5, referencing the PS Vita with stacked chips when asked about the cooling patent. I personally think it's highly likely that we're going to see everything stacked together on the cooling solution when they show off the teardown of the console, reducing power consumption and latency in the process.

He does go on to talk about how PS5's CPU doesn't have the massive 15% IPC gains you get from the jump to Zen 3 from Zen 2, but I don't think he realizes the PS5 doesn't need that feature at all cause it's useless. The IPC gain you get in Zen 3 only benefits single-thread performance and PS5's CPU is running at 3.5GHz with SMT/hyper-threading turned on by default, which uses all 8 cores & 16 threads. So maybe the Xbox Series X might have this feature when the CPU is running at 3.8GHz with SMT turned off, only using 8 threads.

I can't wait until the Digital Foundry comparisons drop, people like Dealer hyping up a "massive" delta in terms of performance between the two consoles because of the TFLOPs difference are only setting themselves and their hardcore fans up for disappointment. I think PS5's gonna be an absolute beast and it's going to potentially perform like something we've never seen before, honestly can't wait to see it in action.

Last edited:

xacto

Because we have alot of members on this forum are either idiots or trolls or both.

These Twitter nobodies are given exposure on this forum by clown members who think they are have legitimate information. Heck I could post to twitter right now and claim to know the PS5 launch lineup and it will get quoted here within the day.
All this does is serve to spread false information. I mean we even have TimDog tweets being quoted in this very thread. Let that sink in.

I'm not saying Era is the holy grail of gaming forums but one has to appreciate they have standards in place when trying to quote certain Twitter users or media outlets that are known for spreading bad information.

If we have standards to prevent every tom dick and Harry's twitter posts being quoted here then we are on the right track to limit the avalanche of shit hitting the threads.

EDIT: will probably get a warning for this post but dont really give a shit. If half of the forum actually took the time to research information before just hitting post, it would lead to less rubbish in these threads.

I agree with what you said, aside from the fact that Era has standards. Better standards than Twitter randoms, yes, but sometimes that's not nearly enough.

People feel safe dropping all kind of bull in here, and they even feel entitled to, because "hey, it's a speculation thread!" I just hope when PS5 will be revealed, with games running on it, that we get a new thread without the "leaks" and "speculation" parts; there are days when this thread is nothing but a hunt for informed, technical posts from which at least myself, I can learn what is there to know so far.

We also need those standards, otherwise we can just go to Twitter or Reddit, and really let ourselves go.

Exodia

Banned
Where do i find these translations? subtitles arent enabled on the video so i dont know what you mean by google translating

Use the Google Translate on your phone from the Play store. Select Chinese to English and go into transcribe mode.

Last edited:

xacto

Funny.

Source:

Can anyone with a better tech background than me answer this: how was it possible (and still is) for games to run on a multitude of PC configurations, so actually developers can scale them games up and down, or make them run with bells and whistles on high-end PC's taking advantage of "godly" specs, but then we do a 180 on console hardware, saying that developers will not take the time to code for PS5 because... reasons?!

How does that even work?

Andodalf

Banned
Does nobody on gaf speak Chinese? I woulda thought with how many people there are there’s be at least one who could translate it directly for us. It’s crazy how this event in China is basically like it took place in another world, even Tim seemed to have no idea it happened until after the fact.

xacto

Does nobody on gaf speak Chinese? I woulda thought with how many people there are there’s be at least one who could translate it directly for us. It’s crazy how this event in China is basically like it took place in another world, even Tim seemed to have no idea it happened until after the fact.

I am curious too about this; I mean we have an engineer at Epic Games taking the piss out of the CEO of the company he works at? That's a ballsy move, but until we get exactly what's going on here, I am not putting too much into it.

Last edited:

ToadMan

No....did you even read anything i posted? The cheif engineer wasn't talkng about the video they are playing.

Do you speak Chinese? I don't... I read people saying the demo could run on a laptop - I saw the video you posted and its an .mp4 just like Sweeney said.

So why would I believe the mis-translation of Chinese if some people were gullibile enough to believe a video being played was in fact a gameplay demo being executed on the laptop hardware?

Those claims are discredited.... as are you now I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
Remember this is a Q&A Livestream where they are answering questions from the chat.

YTFwGbV.png

You are only confirming that Tim Sweeney was 100% right. It was a *.mp4 video.

Calling him a liar for this is disingenuous and very dishonest.

Before you made up that shit about that he had deleted a tweet and now this new shit.

Capture: *.mp4 file

3fxSE3k.jpg

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
I did the thing he said and as expected its a pretty horrible translation. Though "not unplayable" doesnt exactly scream "runs great"

YGLTnAX.jpg

There you go.

'not unplayable' is just a mistranslation of playable.

It says its now playable in the editor on our notebooks at 40 fps. This is what over 5 independent native translators translated accross several forums (Reddit, Era, Beyond3d).
Its not perfect. so instead of fps you get 'people'. But you see what the native translators translated. Just run it a few times.

Last edited:

Exodia

Banned
You are only confirming that Tim Sweeney was 100% right. It was a .mp4 video.

Calling him a liar for this is disingenuous and very dishonest.

Before you made up that shit about that he had deleted a tweet and now this new shit.

3fxSE3k.jpg

Do you speak Chinese? I don't... I read people saying the demo could run on a laptop - I saw the video you posted and its an .mp4 just like Sweeney said.

So why would I believe the mis-translation of Chinese if some people were gullibile enough to believe a video being played was in fact a a gameplay demo being executed on the laptop hardware?

Those claims are discredited.... as are you now I'm sorry to say.

Reading comprehension?

HAL-01

I am curious too about this; I mean we have an engineer at Epic Games taking the piss out of the CEO of the company he works at? That's a ballsy move, but until we get exactly what's going on here, I am not putting too much into it.
Im gonna go out on a limb and assume he means that the demo runs good on the editor, as in, not the live gameplay, but that the program they use to design the level and place the assets runs ok, which i would hope it does otherwise it'd be a pain to design a game in this engine.
Theyre likely running it on a window like this

OA9QnYI.jpg

Exodia

Banned
Im gonna go out on a limb and assume he means that the demo runs good on the editor, as in, not the live gameplay, but that the program they use to design the level and place the assets runs ok, which i would hope it does otherwise it'd be a pain to design a game in this engine.
Theyre likely running it on a window like this

OA9QnYI.jpg

Even better. Because the editor is very resource heavy. You are looking at around 10 fps being lost, give or take. So it running at 40 fps in editor is actually around 50 fps if he built it.

Last edited:

We already know it can run on XSeX and high end PC. Tim Sweeney said it himself that it will run awesome on both.

That's because Unreal Engine 5 is SCALABLE and it will scale down to slower I/O such as PC and XSeX.

Heck you probably can run the demo on a PS4 if you dial the details a lot lower. 😉

Last edited:

The demo will run in other systems that is not the point, you want to compare without
have enough info.

You don't know how the system scale in things the assets for example, we thought before
this demos that was impossible to use in a scene models of hundred of millions of polygons, you know things you
will need streaming and if you increment the framerate also the minimum bandwidth will increment:

A game/demo with VSYNC put to 30 is because can run in an higher average framerate than 30 (from 30+ to almost 60) not because his average is just 30.

If your theory is the SSD of the PS5 is just too much if a decent ssd can run that (whatever is the range of decent), then you can say same the of XSX as you have many
post saying the XVA will close the gap between both system. So in the both companies spent money in something without reason if a decent SSD can do anyway.

Last edited:

pasterpl

We already know it can run on XSeX and high end PC. Tim Sweeney said it himself that it will run awesome on both.

That's because Unreal Engine 5 is SCALABLE and it will scale down to slower I/O such as PC and XSeX.

Heck you probably can run the demo on a PS4 if you dial the details a lot lower. 😉

i am assmuing that since both, High End PC and xbsex are more powerful than ps5 that demo would run better on these devices (higher FPS and prob. Resolution), i haven’t seen anything re. That demo that would suggest that it maximises PS5 io (And please don’t give me epic pr statement as an answer). Are there any exacts specs re. That demo io (ssd) speed requirements?

The US is ramping up our trade war with China. I'm beginning to truly worried that we may not be getting the next-gen console this year, or in very, very limited numbers for the holiday season.

HAL-01

Even better. Because the editor is very resource heavy. You are looking at around 10 fps being lost, give or take. So it running at 40 fps in editor is actually around 50 fps if he built it.
actually, because it is in editor that usually means the live preview is not running at max settings, as having every bell and whistle on during editing would be unnecessarily performance intensive. No one wants to work on a laptop running hot.
The engine editor is probably designed to create low LOD versions of the assets to load into to ram at once so as to being able to preview and edit the whole level on most pcs, without needing an ssd

i am assmuing that since both, High End PC and xbsex are more powerful than ps5 that demo would run better on these devices (higher FPS and prob. Resolution), i haven’t seen anything re. That demo that would suggest that it maximises PS5 io (And please don’t give me epic pr statement as an answer). Are there any exacts specs re. That demo io (ssd) speed requirements?

All I know is that Tim Sweeney has been saying that the PS5 I/O enabled the highest detail possible in the PS5.

He's not afraid to let everyone benchmark it come 2021. He said it's for us to see for ourselves.

Until then this is all about endless bickering.

You can doubt Tim Sweeney all you want, that doesn't make the XSeX I/O faster than the PS5. 😂

Sinthor

Gold Member

Sorry, but I'll believe the executive of the company over an engineer and a badly translated transcript of a chat that simply can't be verified. Bottom line, they were playing the video is all we know as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom