• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaztu

The Unreal Engine 5 demo on PlayStation 5 was the culmination of years of discussions between Sony and Epic on future graphics and storage architectures

That demo felt like a push, from Sony and Epic, to the whole gaming market (customers and manufacturers) into doing things their way. Epic can always change their software if the gaming community don't end up in their path. Sony has a bigger risk by betting their hardware (and PS5) in pushing the market to doing things similar to them. Sony made the same risk in PS3 Cell architecture, but x86 architecture ended up being the default standard. But, this streamlined SSD & IO bet looks way more calculated with years of planning ahead.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That demo felt like a push, from Sony and Epic, to the whole gaming market (customers and manufacturers) into doing things their way. Epic can always change their software if the gaming community don't end up in their path. Sony has a bigger risk by betting their hardware (and PS5) into doing things similar to them. Sony made the same risk in PS3 Cell architecture, but x86 architecture ended up being the default standard. But, this streamlined SSD & IO bet looks way more calculated with years of planning ahead.

Indeed, they took a quite bold bet, but doing it alongside one if not the biggest game engine maker whose middleware is in (and collecting analytics of) tons and tons of games seem to me one of the biggest differences with theIr bet on CELL for example.
I do not think they paired only with Epic either as they went on their tour of the industry over the years while building PS5.

Last edited:

SAMZ

XSX - lots of power, can't get off the line as it keeps spinning the tyres and can't put it's power down. Looks cool I guess.

PS5 - less power than XSX, has a nice 4WD system and rockets of the line without burning tyres.

Is this a good analogy? Bottlenecks I guess.

People keep asking for PlayStation reveal over xbox but I feel we know more about PS5 than XSX.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I disagree, the most effective way to market a console is compelling content you can't find on any other platform. Marketing specifications/performance is fine at the start, but all that is forgotten once people actually see next gen games for themselves. It's arguably why MS have been investing more in their first party studios.

Well of course, but the games sell themselves. When selling a new tech, you also need to sell the promise of that tech, in the sense that you are selling potential gamers a new experience when they get home and plug it to the TV.

Look at the Switch for example, it’s clearly a piece of hardware that sold you a new experience. A console that you could plug to your tv or play on the go.

I think XSX will probably lean more on gamepass than they will on power, because there simply isn’t enough there for them. And that’s why XSS will be a bigger deal than the XSX if it exists. MS has the data, they know Xbox One is still outselling the Xbox One X...

XSX - lots of power, can't get off the line as it keeps spinning the tyres and can't put it's power down. Looks cool I guess.

PS5 - less power than XSX, has a nice 4WD system and rockets of the line without burning tyres.

People keep asking for PlayStation reveal over xbox but I feel we know more about PS5 than XSX.

It’s a terrible analogy but we’ve all been there.

It feels like we know more about the PS5 only because Unreal 5 caused a bigger impact. It’s a fact that at the moment, Unreal 5 is the promise of next gen and Sony stroke gold by having it associated with the PS5 name.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

F1 cars aren't 4wd but I'm not sure if fastest accelerating car is 4wd

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
And you'll get that eventually. But right now we're going to the cross-gen period.
I think now the battle is elsewhere, everything set in stone now, both good machines, one loads faster one a bit more powerful, if any of thse machines can release £$50-£$100 cheaper than the other. It will be like wow all that for that much less. That applies to both either way.
As long as they're not highly priced in the first place.

It's like build up to a big boxing fight. The Ps5 has a more (in this thread of recent weeks ) confident I'm going to knock you out in the 2nd round boxer (followers/so called experts) I just want the fight to happen soon. Let's bring it on, let's see who runs of into the bushes when the fight starts.

GPUs as reach, SSDs as footwork, games as technique in putting it all together, going toe to toe for 7 years.

Vaztu

Indeed, they took a quite bold bet, but doing it alongside one if not the biggest game engine maker whose middleware is in (and collecting analytics of) tons and tons of games seem to me one of the biggest differences with theIr bet on CELL for example.
I do not think they paired only with Epic either as they went on their tour of the industry over the years while building PS5.

Yeah I agree Epic are the biggest engine makers, so it dilutes the risk as devs don't need to spend too much time trying to get it right.

But, PS3 CELL bet was well hedged too. With Sony, Toshiba and IBM working together. Big difference is that they are all far away from game devs (compared to Epic).

geordiemp

Ok it was a very shit analogy.
In fact it's the shittest anology ive ever heard

Here is another attempt.

Races used to take place on a straight track until this year, and as such the car with the most power that could be transferred properly to the track (HP) won the race, every time.

Some races in 2020 will still use straight track, and the 120 HP car will have lots of king memes.

But a new race starts, that looks so much better, and its a rally in the country with lots of sharp bends and few straights. Even a few hairpins.

Will a 100 HP car beat the 120 HP car if teh 100 HP car has better suspension, tyres and gears set up for a Rally and been designed as a Rally car ?

Well yes, but depends on the track being raced. Will race tracks have lots of bends and mud, yep looks better, might make the 120 HP car go slower in them bends.

:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Here is another attempt.

Races used to take place on a straight track until this year, and as such the car with the most power that could be transferred properly to the track (HP) won the race, every time.

Some races in 2020 will still use straight track, and the HP car will have lots of king memes.

But a new race starts, that looks so much better, and its a rally in the country with lots of sharp bends and few straights. Even a few hairpins.

Will a 100 HP car beat the 120 HP car if teh 100 HP car has better suspension, tyres and gears set up for a Rally and been designed as a Rally car ?

Well yes, but depends on the track being raced. Will race tracks have lots of bends and mud, yep looks better, might make the 120 HP car go slower in them bends.

:messenger_beaming:
Alright alright mate is that your partner or something.

Andodalf

Banned

XSX has less power than a GPU like a 2080 TI, and the 2080TI provides performance advantages over any other GPU. IE, It is not bottlenecked. There is absolutely no reason to assume it has any substantial issues

Fordino

still dumb game made with 30 fps unlocked will probably go under 40 often and tear....
freesync solved this if i remember well.
As it is this feature don't seems well thought for games or made without caring about reality of it.
Yeah it’s frustrating. My LG C9 TV has a VRR range of 40-120hz, which is fine for 60fps games that struggle to reach that target, but as you say bad for unlocked games that don’t hit above 40.

zaitsu

Banned
2080ti is bottlenecked by CPU on lower resolutions . In 4K the 2080ti is bottleneck. Every configuration has a week spot. The most important thing is not having one part of the system bored all the time. I was mosty PCMR before Cerny Road to PS5. After i saw that i sold my triton 500 with rtx 2080 because i have a feeling that it Will age badly in coming years. After doing some research, ( im junior medical doctor but i was hardware enthusiast my whole life and im good at undestand thigs, at least I think I am 🤣) reading what Sweeney and Carmack have to day in 2009-2010 im trusting Sony to deliver something we have not seen before. Of course i could be wrong. I think i havent been so excited for like 14 years to see what comes next. Common Sony show us games already !

Dolodolo

b1Z7y3o.png

5gRCVNb.png

Alright guys, here’s how I think it’s gonna go down for Sony’s plans in June:

1. We get a console reveal this Tuesday along with a set date for the upcoming June event.

2. We get a tease from Sony this Tuesday for the event in June and maybe the they’ll reveal the console at the event along with a few games.

3. Number 2 but Sony only shows off the games but not the console itself at the event.

OR...

PS5’s been cancelled by Sony due to overheating issues and Xbox wins next-gen.

No @ your spoiler.

tumblr_mnzv4kakW21s8njeuo1_r1_400.gifv

Gamernyc78

Banned

"The Xbox Series X (Lockhart) is a console with enough graphics power to run games at above 1080p at 60 to 120 fps with hardware accelerated ray tracing and 3D acoustic audio"

About PS5: "Giving developers plenty of power to deliver the highest in visuals at dynamic 4K paired down at 30 fps or a bit less to achieve a next generation experience at 60 fps on the PS5. Sony has not elaborated on VRS -- but the implementation on VRS on console can offer the developers more access to 10 to 20 more frames, meaning the difference of running a next generation game at 30 instead of 60 fps"

Oh, man, what a way to downplay a console and overpower another. I mean, he seems to be talking about the absolute best scenario on Lockhart and the worst scenario on PS5.

Why do we post or acknowledge known company fanboys? Tht continuously get caught out lying and making shit up?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it seems like the only thing holding PS5 back is its weaker GPU and CPU and Ram and everything else. Jst look at Godfall and this is the supior pc version. Can't wait to see wait to see the worse version on ps5. But hey that SSD right? Given how the world economy it turning im happy xbox is giving people who don't have as much money an option to get into next gen at a cheper price. I know its pro consumer and I guess sony doesn't want to do that you know. Lets let the games do the talking because right now xbox has sony beat on shown next gen games. Im fan of both consoles but this is bs

Anyway here is an actual ps5 game

First that video is over a year old of early PC development, second here is an XSX launch game:

See how stupid your disingenuous fanatical spat looks now? Clown.

xacto

"The Xbox Series X (Lockhart) is a console with enough graphics power to run games at above 1080p at 60 to 120 fps with hardware accelerated ray tracing and 3D acoustic audio"

About PS5: "Giving developers plenty of power to deliver the highest in visuals at dynamic 4K paired down at 30 fps or a bit less to achieve a next generation experience at 60 fps on the PS5. Sony has not elaborated on VRS -- but the implementation on VRS on console can offer the developers more access to 10 to 20 more frames, meaning the difference of running a next generation game at 30 instead of 60 fps"

Oh, man, what a way to downplay a console and overpower another. I mean, he seems to be talking about the absolute best scenario on Lockhart and the worst scenario on PS5.

He is just a smidge on the delusional side of things, but it's ok, he's not the only special snowflake 😂

xacto

i would wait to see it running on a final hardware.
so far i've seen no ps launch (or any console) without overoptimistic fake stuff.
your ms tiral of intent is not good and unnecessary here...it only makes your reasoning less audible.

Don't even wait, it's already over, MS won this generation hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom