• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are thy getting ahead of exactly? Almost everything Microsoft has done has been Rea tionary starting with Sony's wired article and Microsoft coming out a week later with same taking points of next Gen, following Sony's blueprint just in a video version. At this point its not about coming in front or after its about quality and what you have to show.
I mean they try to reveal similar stuff to what the competition will show before them to try to get the spotlight. Remember the PS5 deep dive week? 2 days earlier the Series X specs got revealed including that quick resume video.
But I agree with what you said about quality, it didn't matter the Series X specs were revealed days before the PS5 ones, because everybody, everywhere was talking about PS5 and about how fast it would be as if no one was impressed by the quick resume video.

zubairali2

Don't worry I've got you covered
55rFrNZ.jpg

If I've missed anyone, don't worry you will be seated soony

any room left for me? 🤭

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Take-Two CEO Discusses Next-Generation and The Future; Argues that Cloud Isn’t a Game-Changer

During the Bernstein Annual Strategic Decisions ConferenceTake-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick talked about the next generation of consoles and the future.

Zelnick mentioned that Take-Two is “very excited” about the new consoles will allow the publisher’s creative teams to do. They’ve been developing with new tech for some time and they’re very familiar with where that can lead.

Usually, this includes better memory, better graphics, more fidelity, more beauty, more subtlety, more speed, more richness, more depth, and more characters.

Zelnick brought up the example that the increase in background interactivity in Red Dead Redemption 2 compared to the first game is huge. There is way more happening in the world leading to more realism.

He believes that over time tech will be so sophisticated that you won’t be able to distinguish between computer-generated entertainment and live-action. He admitted that we’re not there yet, but we’re getting closer, and a point will come when photorealism will be possible.

Speaking of Stadia, Zelnick admitted that the launch of Google Stadia has been slow, he believes there was some overpromising which caused consumer disappointment.

While he believes that every time a company broadens distribution it also potentially broaden its audience, which is why Take-Two supported the release of Stadia with three titles and will keep supporting high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense.

Over time, he believes streaming will work but Zelnick believes it’s “not a game-changer.”

“People who want our games now can get our games now. The fact that you could stream them and not have a console interface is not that big a deal. People have PCs and you can get all of our big titles on PC – maybe not immediately but eventually 40% of what used to be a console release now goes over to PC, and it’s going to grow – The world is moving into an open system.
If you’re going to pay 60+ dollars for a frontline release and more internationally, are you really unwilling to buy a $300 console?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
minecraft is a good example as is Flight Sim - both bought from outside and now seemingly left to drift along in zombie mode.
Both are doing absolutely perfectly fine.
Flight Sim was bought by MS in 80s. They stopped it's development in late 2000s when they decided to focus on xbox and closed most of their internal studios (FASA, Ensemble, Aces Game, Digital Anvil). After a decade they decided to go back to making PC games and started working on new one in series.

Msamy

I can't login into my account in playstation press site hopefully that because they updating it with new ps5 news

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
To be honest i belive in 100-200 GB AAA games.
Thats what many people expect and developers must know 200 GB is the upper limit. With my current internet connection even 200 GB download is too much for me (over 24 hours) and games with CGI like assets everywhere would be much bigger. Time will tell how big next gen games will be exactly and if they will match UE5 tech demo assets fidelity, but lets be realistic. If the majority of textures will be in 4K I will be still happy.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Thats what many people expect and developers must know 200 GB is the upper limit. With my current internet connection even 200 GB download is too much for me (over 24 hours) and games with CGI like assets everywhere would be much bigger. Time will tell how big next gen games will be exactly and if they will match UE5 tech demo assets fidelity, but lets be realistic. If the majority of textures will be in 4K I will be still happy.
If a company wants to put out a game physically, it still needs to fit on Blu-ray somehow. PS5 supports BDXL (100 GB max), so I don't think most AAA companies would be willing to use more than 2 disks anyway, especially if the third one is there just for 10-20 extra GB.

In regards to textures, I guess a mix of 2K and 4K could be a good standard going forward for most games, at least initially. Super-high fidelity textures and models might work for more confined or linear games (think sport games, MP-only shooters with just a bunch of maps, or weird stuff like Devil Daggers), but unless a Sony first party eventually finds a way to work some insane magic, don't expect open world games to look as crazy as the UE5 demo.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
OH shit! Shots fired 😂😂🔥🔥BTW all those Halos are giving to much credit imo. Halo has been feeling generic and old for awhile. I bargain bin them now. Waiting for a new, hopefully good Fable though.
The last good Halo was Reach. It's been a steady fall after that. I somehow don't think Fable will do well in this climate. MS needs new IP's for next gen and badly.....

Updated just now:

kyiTJz9.png

Added ps5 and no more different blog region. All under one site. Jim ryan is making PS United under one link. Thats great imo

Guys today is the day ???👀👀👌🥳
People misunderstand Jim Ryan, even some PS fans. I think he is going to do great things for PS. Rumor is that PSN is getting a major overhaul, Jim is about inclusiveness and expansion. He has already expanded PSNOW to many new countries and Sony has intentions of linking all their services under one ID. Games, Music, Pictures etc...There was also talk about Sony using the services of the music and pictures technology in their games and vice versa, better collaboration amongst the different departments. So you might hear more Sony music and productions/tech in games, you might see a Kratos like appearance in a movie or billboard or movie appearance in some part of a game. Spiderman was one of the games that bolstered that synergy between all of Sony's divisions and I think we will see more of that going forward, especially under Jim Ryan.

As a whole, I think Sony wants to be a better oiled company. They are privy to many resources across their divisions, which they can share, cultivate and grow; similar to how SWWS shares and help each other to push game technology and know how. It's why you will see many popular game IP's making their way to movies etc....Their intention is to maximize the expansion and demographic of all their IP's. So if more people who don't even play Uncharted or LOU sees a movie, they can be drawn into the gaming ecosystem, and of course they can use the same ID used for music, pictures, PSNOW etc.. I think Sony is hellbent on growing this market, it's about time really, as opposed to being relegated to 100k consoles. Of course you need strategies to do so, and theirs seem to be a very good one. 200-500K PS consoles sold should be a fair enough goal for next gen IMO. An entertainment device that lasts 7 years with great content and all your steady apps like Plex, Video Chat, VR, Netflix etc....In truth, such a device should be pulling out a much larger subset of the world's population....

Obviously, there are other strategies, like making more inroads into China, India, Africa etc....Expanding marketing and reach in actual current markets and under-ratioed markets are also sound strategies, which they are working on as well...But yes, the console market needs to grow and Sony is privy to that fact....There's certainly more money to be made and more households to put a PS in worldwide....

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Updated just now:

kyiTJz9.png

Added ps5 and no more different blog region. All under one site. Jim ryan is making PS United under one link. Thats great imo

Guys today is the day ???👀👀👌🥳

Interesting.
EU and US have definitely merged but there’s still a Japan one currently.

No idea how many others existed. The change may also still be in progress since I can’t find any articles about it yet.

BGs

Industry Professional
Take-Two CEO Discusses Next-Generation and The Future; Argues that Cloud Isn’t a Game-Changer

During the Bernstein Annual Strategic Decisions ConferenceTake-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick talked about the next generation of consoles and the future.

Zelnick mentioned that Take-Two is “very excited” about the new consoles will allow the publisher’s creative teams to do. They’ve been developing with new tech for some time and they’re very familiar with where that can lead.

Usually, this includes better memory, better graphics, more fidelity, more beauty, more subtlety, more speed, more richness, more depth, and more characters.

Zelnick brought up the example that the increase in background interactivity in Red Dead Redemption 2 compared to the first game is huge. There is way more happening in the world leading to more realism.

He believes that over time tech will be so sophisticated that you won’t be able to distinguish between computer-generated entertainment and live-action. He admitted that we’re not there yet, but we’re getting closer, and a point will come when photorealism will be possible.

Speaking of Stadia, Zelnick admitted that the launch of Google Stadia has been slow, he believes there was some overpromising which caused consumer disappointment.

While he believes that every time a company broadens distribution it also potentially broaden its audience, which is why Take-Two supported the release of Stadia with three titles and will keep supporting high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense.

Over time, he believes streaming will work but Zelnick believes it’s “not a game-changer.”

And Sephirot?

I know, I know. Sorry.

geordiemp

If a company wants to put out a game physically, it still needs to fit on Blu-ray somehow. PS5 supports BDXL (100 GB max), so I don't think most AAA companies would be willing to use more than 2 disks anyway, especially if the third one is there just for 10-20 extra GB.

In regards to textures, I guess a mix of 2K and 4K could be a good standard going forward for most games, at least initially. Super-high fidelity textures and models might work for more confined or linear games (think sport games, MP-only shooters with just a bunch of maps, or weird stuff like Devil Daggers), but unless a Sony first party eventually finds a way to work some insane magic, don't expect open world games to look as crazy as the UE5 demo.

You realise that that UE5 demo with the cliff face cleverly used approx 6 rocks multiple times acording to a dev video on the topic but its hard to see with teh way it was done. Expect allot of that next gen,

What creativity and tricks can accomplish...........

GRIEVEZ

On the blog it was never before ps4. It had a separate section where it gave you that one page. Now its moved to front of blog before ps4
No that tab has been in that exact spot for some time now. I've been clicked on several times over the past month or two. Hell you can go to the web archives and see that. You got people on that other site thinking it's new just b/c they don't pay attention. Same goes for sites that cover PlayStation. People need to pay attention.

mitchman

Gold Member
They recompile the games to get better performance because they have the source game for that something that most emulators doesn’t.
They might only use source code for first party games, not external games. They recompile the PPC machine code to x86 code, this is what they mean here. They might also recompile shades in a similar fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom