• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jose4gg

Remember this news from 2016? the sky was the limit for MS at the beginning of the generation

dave.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It also puts Lockhart in a VERY odd position of devs are targeting lower than 4k....

What will Lockhart run UE5 at? 720p?
seeing as how 1440p looks near identical to 4k thanks to the new upscaling techniques in the UE5 demo, i think 900p should upscale rather well to 1440p. i remember doing some rough calculations, and you are basically looking at 1.4 million pixels when going from 3.7 million 1440p pixels rendered at 10 tflops down to 4 tflops which is roughly 900p. of course, i dont know if things scale down 1:1 like that but UE5 is very scalable.

i fully expect some games to be 720p though. however, with dlss 2.0 taking a 560p image and making it look just as good as a 1080p image, who knows what MS has cooking up. lockhart might be their ace in the hole. if you cant tell the difference between native 1080p and fake 1080p then who cares if every game on the xbox series s is running at 720p. and DF might no be able to count the pixels this time around either.

Mobilemofo

There is no such quote in that article.

It actually is. At the end of the article. 'This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”

It's like.. Not even hard to find. 😅

Corndog

Banned
You can...

Let’s forget Xbox and PlayStation for a while.
Think about a game that will take heavy use of the SSD in next-gen console and try to imagine how it could run on HDD.

Unless you don’t take advantage of the SSD (make a game to run well on HDD) you will end having a game that is basically unplayable on HDD.

That is a simple example that show why you don’t want to have the same game on both this gen and next-gen consoles.

BTW my exemple exists and it is called Star Citizen... it is near unplayable on HDD.
I honestly think it depends on the game. Some games can scale well across a lot of hardware especially if we are just pushing pixels. If it has some cpu intensive mechanics then it maybe a poor candidate to run as cross gen.

Shmunter

I’m talking about this thread. People post these Xbox or statements not because they are interested in Xbox but just to complain about how bad they think they are. I get it. Most here are Sony fans and their is nothing wrong with that. But continuously whining about every Xbox executive or reporter that makes a pro Xbox statement gets really old.
It’s not so simple. Most wish all the best for all things gaming which includes the platform holders. The more, the better, it’s all for us.

However Xbox strategy is doing a disservice to progressing our beloved medium. No bonafide gamer can be excited for a strategy that dismisses the advancement that a generational leap brings. It’s the opportunity to pump the gas, not step on the brake pedal.

Needs to be called out bro, anyone supporting this puts blind brand loyalty first parroting this narrative to their own detriment.

We shall see how influenced 3rd parties are by this shit show. Certainly MS is applying the gamepass access pressure and old gen support upon the industry. They must fail in this endeavour. So it shall be written, so it shall be done, amen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I honestly think it depends on the game. Some games can scale well across a lot of hardware especially if we are just pushing pixels. If it has some cpu intensive mechanics then it maybe a poor candidate to run as cross gen.
Yeap I only used the HDD/SSD example because it is the hot topic but CPU uses are the same.
Of course you can turn a lot of physics or CPU related tasks down but at some level you will to give up some things too due the lower denominator.

That is why PC hardware is so underused... you need to set a minimum to run a game that ends holding the high-end hardware to be better utilized.

DeepSpace5D

Train is getting full
Oo0m7di.jpg

Wonder if anyone can spot the Easter Egg lol
That looks insane, 1 ticket please!

Hey guys I’ve been following a long time on this thread since right before Cerny’s presentation. It’s been fascinating to read all the opinions on next-gen from people much more knowledgeable than myself on how tech works.

With them announcing the show to be a little over an hour in length, I wonder if Sony‘s plan is to show maybe 5-6 games with longer demos of each, or a larger number of games with shorter demos.

I’m personally hoping Bluepoint Games makes an appearance to show their next project. I’ve been thinking about what they will do next since the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not so simple. Most wish all the best for all things gaming which includes the platform holders. The more, the better, it’s all for us.

However Xbox strategy is doing a disservice to progressing our beloved medium. No bonafide gamer can be excited for a strategy that dismisses the advancement that a generational leap brings. It’s the opportunity to pump the gas, not step on the break pedal.

Needs to be called out bro, anyone supporting this puts blind brand loyalty first parroting this narrative to their own detriment.

We shall see how influenced 3rd parties are by this shit show. Certainly MS is applying the gamepass access pressure and old gen support upon the industry. They must fail in this endeavour. So it shall be written, so it shall be done, amen.
Sony really must deliver launch games that aren't playable on previous systems by just down scaling the graphics otherwise a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

When it comes to 3rd parties, they always do cross-gen games so I don't think it really has an influence on them.

LED Guy?

Banned
Not to derail your enthusiasm but aren’t those screen shots from the PS4 pro? All the trailers I looked at including screenshots say taken from PS4 pro. Still impressive though.
Yeah of course, they were all from PS4 Pro, but just like you know, the game will look the same whether it is on PS4 Pro or on PS4, because the normal PS4 will run that game at 1080p while PS4 Pro will run it at 1440p or maybe a bit higher.

But it’s still the same game 1 : 1

However Xbox strategy is doing a disservice to progressing our beloved medium. No bonafide gamer can be excited for a strategy that dismisses the advancement that a generational leap brings. It’s the opportunity to pump the gas, not step on the break pedal.

XBOX has done PLENTY to push our beloved medium forward. What was the first console that brought a broadband online gaming service to consoles? Which console included a hard drive with every console so that games could be stored locally improving gameplay experiences? Which console introduced a unified memory structure allowing developers to control how much memory was used for what purpose on their games?

You might not like game pass but there is no other service like it and it allow games that might never have gotten a shot to be played. I would have never played Minecraft Dungeons without it. There is nothing about the design of the Xbox Series X that shows that any corners were cut. If it wasn't for the goalposts being moved by Sony fans things like a more powerful GPU and CPU meant something. Game pass is pro-consumer as is back compat and Xbox is pushing those things more than SONY has in years. I like my investment being respected and at this point I have not seen anything to indicate that Xbox is holding ANYTHING back.

I agree with your statement about blind loyalty and parroting narratives but you are directing those comments in the wrong direction. I get it. Sony has been in the industry longer, Nintendo even longer than that but I'm glad we aren't relying on them to push our beloved medium forward.

Shmunter

XBOX has done PLENTY to push our beloved medium forward. What was the first console that brought a broadband online gaming service to consoles? Which console included a hard drive with every console so that games could be stored locally improving gameplay experiences? Which console introduced a unified memory structure allowing developers to control how much memory was used for what purpose on their games?

You might not like game pass but there is no other service like it and it allow games that might never have gotten a shot to be played. I would have never played Minecraft Dungeons without it. There is nothing about the design of the Xbox Series X that shows that any corners were cut. If it wasn't for the goalposts being moved by Sony fans things like a more powerful GPU and CPU meant something. Game pass is pro-consumer as is back compat and Xbox is pushing those things more than SONY has in years. I like my investment being respected and at this point I have not seen anything to indicate that Xbox is holding ANYTHING back.

I agree with your statement about blind loyalty and parroting narratives but you are directing those comments in the wrong direction. I get it. Sony has been in the industry longer, Nintendo even longer than that but I'm glad we aren't relying on them to push our beloved medium forward.
Xbox broadband, hardrive, Xbox live. All legit, I was there. 360 was a dream machine and Sony had a lot of work trying to follow in those footsteps. Back compatibility also wonderful.

But nowhere in your defence do I see anything promoting the merits of next gen in what is a next gen discussion.

"Why would you advocate for something that is bad for you? Oh right, fanboyism nvm."

I'm sure he's an expert on fanboyism. He really showed us with his article on the PS5 having overheating issues.
Honestly I can't get my head around the idea that wanting a platform to push games and gaming forward as much as they can with new hardware and what that can do to new game design ideas, storytelling and so on, is something bad for gamers. Like, how is that a bad thing?

BC is not a huge deal for me, but, just in case, I have all my consoles, all generations, ready to go if I feel like playing some OG Xbox, or some PS2 or whatever, but with new hardware, I think wanting new horizons to open up is perfectly normal and good, not only for the gamer, but the industry itself.

ToadMan

Notice something? Look at what you wrote and consider it....

Did you get it yet? Ok I’ll help you.

All those features were in the OG Xbox. And then .... oops.

Another little tidbit. Broadband gaming and HDD features were copied from the PC gaming world. Now that’s not to unduly smear MS - they brought those things to console and that is to be congratulated. The OG Xbox was great.

Since then though, they’ve gone nowhere - maybe even backwards. 360 HDD optional and with xb1 and Xsex non-unified memory.

Now with all the talk of BC it’s like MS is stuck in the past - trying to regain their glory by dredging up old content as an excuse for why there’s nothing new.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Stay safe man.

Two young relatives passed away because they wanted to pass through a flood:lollipop_crying:. If you stay home, you're safe, all the dams and canals have done a great job with the last gigantic cyclone (Mekunu) that moved all the way to the desert while still spinning! 3rd degree, the eye of the cyclone was ~110km wide and entered my city! The massive flood canals saved the city from drowning.

This one might be as much in terms of water, still not finished and it's still entering. :lollipop_thescream:

EDIT: Only 9-11 died back then, and most of them after the cyclone (forcing themselves through floods).

%D8%A8%D8%B1.jpg

879306.jpg

The army did a great job restoring roads as fast as possible on some areas and providing food and supplies for rural villages

66347-502399.jpg

DeHus0hXUAYnQe7.jpg

DeHus0jW0AAAez1.jpg

image.jpg

It turned the Empty Quarter desert into a sea!

cb6c5805-e731-42af-bccb-8c3d3ca20f04.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This gen was short or something and I don't feel the need for new one yet.
Graphics are still amazing, image quality is perfect. Last gen we had fun of 720p or less no aa jagged mess image quality that you could not wait for PC version or new gen.
Now I am playing uc4 and it honestly looks perfect and some scenes even make it looks ray traced.
The only thing is that some games look a bit soft since I got used to 4k 60 on PC.
But fun good of war and it really weird abandoning this perfectly fine gen with games that don't lack anything and perfect iq. Next gen remasters will just be 4k huh?

But if graphics can get more amazing? Count me the f in hype train !!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I can't get my head around the idea that wanting a platform to push games and gaming forward as much as they can with new hardware and what that can do to new game design ideas, storytelling and so on, is something bad for gamers. Like, how is that a bad thing?

BC is not a huge deal for me, but, just in case, I have all my consoles, all generations, ready to go if I feel like playing some OG Xbox, or some PS2 or whatever, but with new hardware, I think wanting new horizons to open up is perfectly normal and good, not only for the gamer, but the industry itself.
There are positive things to say about both strategies. One believes making a clear distinction between generation will push gaming forward, great. The other believes in letting people play new games on the older consoles, also great.

There is no real right or wrong here, but depending on which company people support they'll try to find some so they can feed their own insecurity.

Last edited by a moderator:

kensama

XBOX has done PLENTY to push our beloved medium forward. What was the first console that brought a broadband online gaming service to consoles? Which console included a hard drive with every console so that games could be stored locally improving gameplay experiences? Which console introduced a unified memory structure allowing developers to control how much memory was used for what purpose on their games

Seems you start console gaming with Xbox OG no?
Because:

Sega and Nintendo does some of thing you tell like broadbrand adapter before MS entered the console market.
For storage don't forget that before Playstation the game was on cartridge which are a way far better for loading, etc...

There are positive things to say about both strategies. One believes making a clear distinction between generation will push gaming forward, great. The other believes in letting people play new games on the older consoles, also great.

There is no real right or wrong here, but depending on which company people support they'll try to find some so they can feed their own insecurity.
I agree, both approaches do good things. It's just that I keep seeing how bad is for gamers the fact that you can't play a game on older hardware and I just don't get it. I can understand having a preference for one thing or another, but saying is downright bad? Not at all.

zaitsu

Banned
Metal gear steals the show.
Cyberpunk you say Guerrilla games hold my beer.
It not a sequel but p I.g is my 90s dream game.
Bluepoint may kill off xsx when the console pre orders come in. I'm out. lots more to be revealed.
k*n*i *u*a* :) over and out.
Anyone want to play DICE on Wednesday.
Dude did you forget your meds? What are you writing about ?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, both approaches do good things. It's just that I keep seeing how bad is for gamers the fact that you can't play a game on older hardware and I just don't get it. I can understand having a preference for one thing or another, but saying is downright bad? Not at all.
I think it's to balance out people saying games will be shit at launch on XSX because they also need to be able to run on Xbox One.

TLZ

Banned
Two young relatives passed away because they wanted to pass through a flood:lollipop_crying:. If you stay home, you're save, all the dams and canals have done a great job with last gigantic cyclone (Mekunu) that moved all the way to the desert while still spinning! 3rd degree, the eye of the cyclone was ~110km wide and entered my city! The massive flood canals saved the city from drowning.

This one might be as much in terms of water, still not finished with use yet. :lollipop_thescream:

%D8%A8%D8%B1.jpg

879306.jpg

The army did a great job restoring roads as fast as possible on some areas and providing food and supplies for rural villages

66347-502399.jpg

DeHus0hXUAYnQe7.jpg

DeHus0jW0AAAez1.jpg

image.jpg

الله يرحمهم

Seriously stay safe inside man. That looks pretty scary.

Last edited:

ToadMan

The other believes in letting people play new games on the older consoles, also great.

This is clearly an argument of convenience not a belief. MS are going with that now because they lack any first party titles. The closest they have is Halo which has taken so long it’s fallen onto Xsex from xb1.

In the much talked about “2 years time” when MS think their newly purchased 1st parties will have something to show, the xb1 gen will be dropped like a stone.

MS aren’t proposing to support the xb1 out of altruism or business strategy, they’re supporting it out of necessity.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This is clearly an argument of convenience not a belief. MS are going with that now because they lack any first party titles. The closest they have is Halo which has taken so long it’s fallen onto Xsex from xb1.

In the much talked about “2 years time” when MS think their newly purchased 1st parties will have something to show, the xb1 gen will be dropped like a stone.

MS aren’t proposing to support the xb1 out of altruism or business strategy, they’re supporting it out of necessity.
That's your view on it, but not the only way to look at it. Purely your interpretation. I see it as Microsoft just doing something for the gamers who don't want to upgrade yet because consoles are too expensive in the beginning or have teething problems. While at the same time try to keep people within their ecosystem. You can do good and help your business at the same time.

Shmunter

I don’t believe in sitting on the fence on this one. Making new games for old hardware is contrary to next gen, not much else to it.

The discussion on pro consumerism by supporting creaky old hardware is a different conversation and mutually exclusive to taking a step forward while having the other foot stuck in the mud. So what are we talking about here, next gen or not next gen??!?

next generation(Adjective)
Of or pertaining to any method or technology that is expected or intended to supersede present day techniques.

Shmunter

Two young relatives passed away because they wanted to pass through a flood:lollipop_crying:. If you stay home, you're safe, all the dams and canals have done a great job with the last gigantic cyclone (Mekunu) that moved all the way to the desert while still spinning! 3rd degree, the eye of the cyclone was ~110km wide and entered my city! The massive flood canals saved the city from drowning.

This one might be as much in terms of water, still not finished and it's still entering. :lollipop_thescream:

%D8%A8%D8%B1.jpg

879306.jpg

66347-502399.jpg

DeHus0hXUAYnQe7.jpg

DeHus0jW0AAAez1.jpg

image.jpg

Damn, lookout for yourself and loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom