• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
current gen has come real close to closing the gap in the IQ on realtime gameplay. I feel it's possible on next gen!
Absolutely not. Even ancient stuff like Toy story has IQ that current gen can’t quite touch. Things look better in many other ways. But offline rendering is unmatched in IQ. Look at hair in nice CG, and it’s so perfect and clean compared to even the best solutions we have today

Fake

Hey guys, today our Brazilian TimDog. Probably @ethomaz Fake Fake knows him (He is famous in console community even in PC too), has been down by Microsoft.

Xbox mil grau
"even Microsoft doesn't like me, f*ck"

Xbox BR
"The content of the Mil Grau account does not reflect our fundamental values of respect, diversity and inclusion. We already demand the immediate removal of our brand from its channels, through social media companies."

Good. He is a fucking racist.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Absolutely not. Even ancient stuff like Toy story has IQ that current gen can’t quite touch. Things look better in many other ways. But offline rendering is unmatched in IQ. Look at hair in nice CG, and it’s so perfect and clean compared to even the best solutions we have today

lol what? We have already surpassed that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Real Time graphics won’t have the IQ of pre rendered CG for many many years yet.
it might be possible next gen if devs stick with linear game worlds. the order looks cgi as fuck, and its because of the post processing giving it a cg look.

Eqpy.gif

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

to me, a cgi image has this thickness to it that realtime games lack. it has to do with chromatic abberation, deffered lighting and this dense thick fog and other post processing effects that in a way dilute the image. its why rain levels look so good.

xacto

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes I'm sure Sony employees willing to leak important company info to.... sknr.net.

Well now that the other political racist in the Floyd forum kicked me out on here I'm back to games. I've now decided I don't care anymore and am tired. Where is the PS5 reveal. I'm over this. Country will never change.

Uzupedro

icerock

it might be possible next gen if devs stick with linear game worlds. the order looks cgi as fuck, and its because of the post processing giving it a cg look.

Eqpy.gif

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

to me, a cgi image has this thickness to it that realtime games lack. it has to do with chromatic abberation, deffered lighting and this dense thick fog and other post processing effects that in a way dilute the image. its why rain levels look so good.

Even though likes of RDR2, GoW, Horizon have done more technically impressive things. The Order 1886 to me is still the most visually impressive game on consoles, mixture of art direction and post processing effects really make it stand out from the rest.

How I wish RAD is working on a big budget next-gen game!

yewles1

Yes, this means the next-wave of upcoming GPU will have to have even higher texture/pixel fill rate with even higher memory bandwidth to draw more assets as well as push more pixel count simultaneously without being overtly expensive because with this SSD based game-design, Mark Cerny claims of 8 TFs being optimal for 4K gets thrown out of the window, isn't it? Hope Mark Cerny has taken this aspect into account when designing the PS5.
He only said 8TF being optimal for 4K in the context of 8th gen level games, he was advertizing PS4 Pro when he said that.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Hey guys, today our Brazilian TimDog. Probably @ethomaz Fake Fake knows him (He is famous in console community even in PC too), has been down by Microsoft.

Xbox mil grau
"even Microsoft doesn't like me, f*ck"

Xbox BR
"The content of the Mil Grau account does not reflect our fundamental values of respect, diversity and inclusion. We already demand the immediate removal of our brand from its channels, through social media companies."

One down a legion of dozens still to go 😂😂😂❤️❤️

Tripolygon

Banned
Does anyone know what spec/ratings the 12 individual NAND chips in PS5 need to be to reach the 5.5GB/s speed and what spec chips do the 4-8 channel PC NVMe drive have?
Going by my research into the cost of the SSD, based on the types of NAND i see in manufacturer catalogs and bulk retail sites that deal in ICs like digikey and mouser. I see PS5 using something in the range of 533MT/s NAND.

zaitsu

Banned
Ok now this is insane 😳😳😳

TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX/PC same SSD ? - NO :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX/PC same I/O - :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX/PC same I/O - NO:messenger_beaming:

c) " While it’s true that both Xbox Series X and PS5 have NVMe SSDs, Sony took things furtherby boosting the transfer speeds well beyond what’s possible on even the most expensive consumer-grade products available today, and certainly faster then Xbox Series X."

MY conclusion after reading article :So can anything run demo lN THE SAME WAY like PS5 ? - NO

Last edited:

Frederic

Banned
Ok now this is insane 😳😳😳

TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX similar SSD ? - Yes :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX similar I/O -YES :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX similar I/O - YES:messenger_beaming:

MY conclusion after reading article :So can anything run demo lN THE SAME WAY like PS5 ? - YES
MY conclusion after reading article :So will multiplatfom devs built their games around a single SSD, I/O of a single platform or will they just use the lowest common denominator? - They will build their games around the lowest common denominator

And I believe - based on specs and raw numbers - that the XSX is the better system overall. It makes it very easy for developers, since it offers sustained performance, it's does not use any variable frequencies or anything, which is great.

And regarding DualSense, that's the thing: Are Devs really going to use all those features, especially multiplatform devs? I mean, how often has the Touchpad on the DS4 been used by multiplatform devs? Not many times, so I guess it will be the same with DualSense, so all those "revolutionary" features might be totally wasted.
Yeah, that's an interesting reasoning if you're not a creative type. Creative people are supposed to break the mold, think outside the box, try new things as time and budget allows. Part of the fun if you're a game developer or a system architect like Cerny and others is to try and drive change. Not only to iterate on what's existing, but bringing new experiences to light.

With that mentality comes an acceptance that not every new experience and idea will be successful immediately. Some ideas will die off, but others will plant seeds to disruptive ways of doing things. It's ok to try and fail, it's only worrying if you're not trying at all.

Imagine how gaming would look like if we thought things were good enough when people were playing space invaders on a joystick and 1 button controls.

5586168230_920f1124cb_b.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX similar SSD ? - Yes :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX similar I/O -YES :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX similar I/O - YES:messenger_beaming:
This post is so desperate it should be used as an example on dictionary.com.

zaitsu

Banned
TLDR

Tittle
:

Inside Article
:

_jw67mdsy2b5Gxj_lIFFChANEpqXyI7fnpA7ChGvJqkZsymt__5jV-StfnARa3U-GsX3u2KHoURh_mewqs67B6I4aMHr1ox_seOu5H7PIwCnYpW_rDlYbyNsNYx9PdtvOhmvjCGU3yrzX-GkZA

schaft0620

Its going to be very interesting to see how close Sony kept this to their vests. I wonder if sites like IGN and Digital Foundry have stuff set for the 5th, 6th or even the night of the 4th (US) for games related to this. IGN has a lot of "unannounced games" to show next week. There are other things too like the TV ads and the "Days of Play" sale. Things of that nature that are in motion already. The games getting shown are set to "release the hounds" when it comes to marketing after this event.

Two thoughts

- I hope nobody puts there stuff out there just to do it before Sony goes. Sony made a delay in good faith with the people of the US to bring attention to a huge problem.
- I think this makes them more likely to have the event sometime between Tuesday and Thursday of next week.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, that's an interesting reasoning if you're not a creative type. Creative people are supposed to break the mold, think outside the box, try new things as time and budget allows. Part of the fun if you're a game developer or a system architect like Cerny and others is to try and drive change. Not only to iterate on what's existing, but bringing new experiences to light.

With that mentality comes an acceptance that not every new experience and idea will be successful immediately. Some ideas will die off, but others will plant seeds to disruptive ways of doing things. It's ok to try and fail, it's only worrying if you're not trying at all.

Imagine how gaming would look like if we thought things were good enough when people were playing space invaders on a joystick and 1 button controls.

5586168230_920f1124cb_b.jpg

Loved that silly controller.

My hands are pretty large so the bottom of that controller sit in my fingers and my thumb on top of the stick to control it.

That new micro Game Gear would look like a postage stamp in my paws

Last edited:

Msamy

Yes they need to wait couple weeks or couple months , until : 1 - third parties showed their multiplets games running in xsex in 4k 60 fps which may not be the case for ps5 2 - Microsoft showed first parties exclusives and announces new studio's acquirement 3- it's better to have event for ps5 one day before it's release date, to convince people's to buy it, 4- they need to wait to see what Microsoft doing in full year , so
based on that Sony needs to have ps5 event in holiday 2020 and if they have problem in production they need to wait until 2021 , even they can skip upcoming next gen and wait 6 years then make reveal event for ps6

Last edited:

Extended spot, PS5 footage

j/k

"The Last Of Us 2 apparently pushes Sony's PS4 to its limits. As Washington Post journalist Gene Park announced on Twitter, the game should ensure that the fans are very loud. Park points out that he is using a first generation PS4 Pro with the fans cleaned. Nevertheless, when using the blockbusters, these should become louder than the journalist's air conditioning."

Vaztu

They always go in production months before release. Supposedly Sony Production on PS5 got delayed because of a shortage of parts. Sony even came out and said they would only have 3-5 Million PS5 available at launch and the first 3 Months. That was a few months ago. The issues worsened with The Covid-19 outbreak.

I can see The PS5 selling on eBay now for 1500 a console because of the rumored Shortage at launch.

Can I have the receipts for what you are saying ? Sounds like FUD.

Never heard about this 'delay due to shortage of parts'. Sony hasn't come out saying jack shit.

The only thing I've read is an article, quoting unnamed sources. It says, Sony forecasts demand to be lower due to their high priced PS5 and economy. If pre-orders smash it out of the park, they will produce accordingly.

Source:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom