• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX/PC same SSD ? - NO :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX/PC same I/O - :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX/PC same I/O - NO:messenger_beaming:

c) " While it’s true that both Xbox Series X and PS5 have NVMe SSDs, Sony took things furtherby boosting the transfer speeds well beyond what’s possible on even the most expensive consumer-grade products available today, and certainly faster then Xbox Series X."

Why is C in quotes?

Dibils2k

i dont know how automatic these advantages are for PS5... but they said same thing about checkerboard and literally no 3rd party dev used it (not even sone 1st parties didnt use it)

so can people guarantee this wont happen again

Last edited:

Brudda26

Can I have the receipts for what you are saying ? Sounds like FUD.

Never heard about this 'delay due to shortage of parts'. Sony hasn't come out saying jack shit.

The only thing I've read is an article, quoting unnamed sources. It says, Sony forecasts demand to be lower due to their high priced PS5 and economy. If pre-orders smash it out of the park, they will produce accordingly.

Source:
From what I remember the rumour is they aim to have 5 to 6.5 million produced by march. Because of parts being harder to manufacture. Dont know where that dude got 3 million from. I also dont know where that other dude got the 10 to 15million xsx number from. When they only started entering mass production just recently. People pulling numbers out of their arse again.

Can I have the receipts for what you are saying ? Sounds like FUD.

Never heard about this 'delay due to shortage of parts'. Sony hasn't come out saying jack shit.

The only thing I've read is an article, quoting unnamed sources. It says, Sony forecasts demand to be lower due to their high priced PS5 and economy. If pre-orders smash it out of the park, they will produce accordingly.

Source:

I will try to find the article. But if I remember correctly. In the same article they said they would be cutting back on PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro Production. That because of an issue with parts from a supplier they was going to be a shortage of PS5 at launch. That the projected 3-5 Million Consoles available for world wide release. That was before Covid 19 shut down a lot of Production around the world.

I’m on my way to the doctors and then I got a pedicure appointment after that. But when I get time I can try to find the article and post a link to it. I’m also not trying to spread fud. Just like I said Sunday there was talk of canceling the June 4th PS5 event, and the decision would be made Monday.

Vaztu

From what I remember the rumour is they aim to have 5 to 6.5 million produced by march. Because of parts being harder to manufacture. Dont know where that dude got 3 million from. I also dont know where that other dude got the 10 to 15million xsx number from. When they only started entering mass production just recently. People pulling numbers out of their arse again.

All these rumours came up from this one Bloomberg article: Source

"The company has told assembly partners it would make 5 to 6 million units of the PS5 in the fiscal year ending March 2021, according to other people involved in the machine’s supply chain. When Sony released the PlayStation 4 in November 2013, it sold 7.5 million units in its first two quarters. "

The source is "people familiar with the matter". Nothing to do with parts harder to manufacture, its mostly to do with supposed increased price of PS5 - and Sony thinking demand will be low due to it.

Hence, I'm taking all of this with a huge grain of salt.

Ok now this is insane 😳😳😳

Yup that is what custom built hw does for programming. It heralds industry wide changes which will create a domino effect for PC to do the same. Question is how as when is 'already late'.
it might be possible next gen if devs stick with linear game worlds. the order looks cgi as fuck, and its because of the post processing giving it a cg look.

Eqpy.gif

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

to me, a cgi image has this thickness to it that realtime games lack. it has to do with chromatic abberation, deffered lighting and this dense thick fog and other post processing effects that in a way dilute the image. its why rain levels look so good.
No matter what anyone says it is a great looking game and feels alive but also grounded at the same time, just like your said.

Vaztu

I will try to find the article. But if I remember correctly. In the same article they said they would be cutting back on PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro Production. That because of an issue with parts from a supplier they was going to be a shortage of PS5 at launch. That the projected 3-5 Million Consoles available for world wide release. That was before Covid 19 shut down a lot of Production around the world.

I’m on my way to the doctors and then I got a pedicure appointment after that. But when I get time I can try to find the article and post a link to it. I’m also not trying to spread fud. Just like I said Sunday there was talk of canceling the June 4th PS5 event, and the decision would be made Monday.

Cool. Take your time dude. Don't rush the pedicure. Afterwards, take a picture and post it here. Users in this thread were very much concerned.

If your birdies are talking, do keep us in the loop.

Last edited:
Was 5-6 million March this year? Or March 2021 next year. I’m also basing what I said of what I have read and the Covid -19 issues.

Probably you would need to take off some of those needles surrounding the ears :messenger_winking_tongue: Here, just please listen for at least 40 seconds, except if you're doing it intentionally to spread misinformation, which I hope you're not: (Timestamped)

Receives over 5GB/s of compressed data, then decompressed to average 8-9GB/s, and up to 22GB/s of well-compressed data. Meaning if the SSD in PS5 could deliver 22GB/s of raw data, it'll handle it.

giphy.gif

This...

All these rumours came up from this one Bloomberg article: Source

"The company has told assembly partners it would make 5 to 6 million units of the PS5 in the fiscal year ending March 2021, according to other people involved in the machine’s supply chain. When Sony released the PlayStation 4 in November 2013, it sold 7.5 million units in its first two quarters. "

The source is "people familiar with the matter". Nothing to do with parts harder to manufacture, its mostly to do with supposed increased price of PS5 - and Sony thinking demand will be low due to it.

Hence, I'm taking all of this with a huge grain of salt.

I believe I did read the Bloomberg article. I also believe I read another article that went more in depth then the Bloomberg article. I think this the other article I read besides Bloomberg article.

I believe in the second article. It said the part was more difficult to produce. Which is leading to a shortage of that part.

I also said they would have 3-5 Million for worldwide launch and the first 6 months. Which lines up with the number the Bloomberg article states. Once you add in the effect of Covid-19 Production Lowering Production for round a month or two.

My Info For the Xbox Series X. Came from a bunch of different sources and rumors. Rumors stated Microsoft started production of Xbox Series X retail units production in small batches in December and full in February.Phil Spencer himself one a podcast said the Xbox Series X was in full production. There is also a quote saying that Xbox Series X was ahead in production. Rumor states Microsoft wants 10-15 Million unit produced in the First Six Months. It’s honestly is very doable and realistic.

I also stated that it was all hear say and rumors. That fit everything know so far. I was also trying to help those wanting PS5 at launch to know to be ready to pay full retail for their preorder so it is secured. Or risk waiting to find one. I plan to by both consoles at launch. As soon as they start to take preorder paying for both in full.

Also Just because Microsoft Produces more consoles at launch over Sony’s PS5. Doesn’t Mean Xbox Series X will sell more.

Last edited:
I believe I did read the Bloomberg article. I also believe I read another article that went more in depth then the Bloomberg article.

I believe in the second article. It said the part was more difficult to produce. Which is leading to a shortage of that part.

I also said they would have 3-5 Million for worldwide launch and the first 6 months. Which lines up with the number the Bloomberg article states. Once you add in the effect of Covid-19 Production Lowering Production for round a month or two.

My Info For the Xbox Series X. Came from a bunch of different sources and rumors. Rumors stated Microsoft started production of Xbox Series X retail units production in small batches in December and February. Phil Spencer himself one a podcast said the Xbox Series X was in full production. There is also a quote saying that Xbox Series X was ahead in production. Rumor states Microsoft wants 10-15 Million unit produced in the First Six Months. I honestly is very doable and realistic.

I also stated that it was all hear say and rumors. That fit everything know so far. I was also trying to help those wanting PS5 at launch to know to be ready to pay full retail for their preorder so it is secured. Or risk waiting to find one. I plan to by both consoles at launch. As soon as they start to take preorder paying for both in full.
Let it go man ;)

You cant even source the piece of FUD you want to spread here.

PC Gamer talking about how the UE5 demo being rewritten for PS5, how next-gen console SSDs can change PC gaming for the better

As Tyler wrote about a few weeks ago, fast SSD storage is the key to super detailed scenes showcased in a recent UE5 demo. He talked to Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, who said "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially one outfitted with an NVMe interface (which shuttles data through the PCIe bus), we can expect "awesome performance" from games based on UE5. Naturally, a fast CPU and GPU will also be needed, or even the speediest SSD won't be of much help. It would be like putting tires built for racing on a Ford Pinto.

SSDs have been available for the PC for several years now. As things currently stand, however, gaming performance is roughly the same on an NVMe SSD as it is on a comparatively slow (but still fast) SATA SSD.

That means there is untapped potential. The fastest SATA SSDs hover around 550-580MB/s for sequential reads and writes, whereas NVMe SSDs are typically at least four or five times faster, and sometimes much more. And in the case of NVMe SSDs that leverage PCIe 4.0 (only available on AMD's X570 and B550 chipsets at the moment), sequential reads and writes can hit a whopping 5,000MB/s, with even faster models on the horizon.

Bear in mind that there is more to be gained than just load times. This is where game optimizations for next-gen consoles come into play. Sony sort of stuck its neck out in the public eye by putting so much emphasis on the PS5's SSD performance, considering SSDs have been around for years. But if it does fundamentally change how game engines and games are coded, all that untapped speed on PC SSDs could be realized in ways that it just hasn't been up to this point.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Hey guys, today our Brazilian TimDog. Probably @ethomaz @~Fake knows him (He is famous in console community even in PC too), has been down by Microsoft.

Xbox mil grau
"even Microsoft doesn't like me, f*ck"

Xbox BR
"The content of the Mil Grau account does not reflect our fundamental values of respect, diversity and inclusion. We already demand the immediate removal of our brand from its channels, through social media companies."

Sifu

Did he really think he could go on offending journalists, women and now black people? I'm only sorry Xbox BR didn't do that before, that's what happens when companies endorse toxic fanboys.

Last edited:
Not spreading fud. I also linked the other article I read in my last post. I read the Bloomberg article and the IGN article.
What a dishonest reply.

You edited your post, put a link that says nothing about what you said in your original post (SX 10M-15M v PS5 4M-7M), then quote me back to tell me that you provided a link.

This is not fucking youtube, where people can be misleaded easily.

Last edited:
Not spreading fud. I also linked the other article I read in my last post. I read the Bloomberg article and the IGN article.
Where does the IGN article mention parts being difficult to produce? It mentions a scarcity of components, but that could be COVID related, as the supply lines in China were completely shut down (the article is from mid April). Saying difficult to produce sound like you think there is some yield issues.

What a dishonest reply.

You edited your post, put a link that says nothing about what you said in your original post (SX 10M-15M v PS5 4M-7M), then quote me back to tellme that you provided a link.

This is not fucking youtube, were people can be misleaded easily.
I added the link to the article I read about PS5. My numbers are almost the same as Bloomberg’s. If Sony can produce 3-7 Million PS5s with part shortages and a lower production run. Why can’t Microsoft with the Xbox Series X at full production run and no part shortage do double the numbers of production?

Don’t let your fanboy in you. Blind you from logic and critical thinking.

Where does the IGN article mention parts being difficult to produce? It mentions a scarcity of components, but that could be COVID related, as the supply lines in China were completely shut down (the article is from mid April). Saying difficult to produce sound like you think there is some yield issues.

I don’t know if any yield issues. I believe the Bloomberg article mentions some parts being difficult to produce. I will link the Bloomberg article in that post also.

My Info For the Xbox Series X. Came from a bunch of different sources and rumors. Rumors stated Microsoft started production of Xbox Series X retail units production in small batches in December and full in February.

Interesting. So the APU of the One X is made in Malaysia. Which is only now reopening from the lockdown in the country. Factories were shutdown. The One X is made in China. Factories there were shutdown since lunar new year, and began the slow process of reopening early April.

Yet somehow XSX manufacturing is unaffected and is in full swing since Feb? Do you know where it is being manufactured?

zaitsu

Banned
Interesting. So the APU of the One X is made in Malaysia. Which is only now reopening from the lockdown in the country. Factories were shutdown. The One X is made in China. Factories there were shutdown since lunar new year, and began the slow process of reopening early April.

Yet somehow XSX manufacturing is unaffected and is in full swing since Feb? Do you know where it is being manufactured?
Under Phils house in bunker

I added the link to the article I read about PS5. My numbers are almost the same as Bloomberg’s. If Sony can produce 3-7 Million PS5s with part shortages and a lower production run. Why can’t Microsoft with the Xbox Series X at full production run and no part shortage do double the numbers of production?

Don’t let your fanboy in you. Blind you from logic and critical thinking.
Another dishonest reply, using a strawman about the "fanboy in you" bullshit.

I am not even chalenging the numbers, I dont care, but your disability to source your own FUD.

You made that shit up, reason why you cant source it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thats a lot of bullshit to be honest.
Stadia costs as much as PS Plus/Xbox Gold/ any other Gampass/Ubisoft etc shit. So yeah I'm not buying that.
For all of the aforementioned things you also have to buy more pricey equipment and games that you want to play. Well on pc games are at least comparably cheap to consoles.

Most of my games are digitsl nowaday anyways. This will only get worse with time obviously.

I would want Sony to make all your purchased games accessible through PS Now, that makes more sense.

No only the rumors. And what I have heard Microsoft is supposedly been running full speed. The other rumor I heard is if the Covid 19 issues continued into July or so then Microsoft would be effected. Like I said all a long The Microsoft stuff isn’t on record like the Sony Stuff is.

Last edited:

dr guildo

TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX/PC same SSD ? - NO :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX/PC same I/O - :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX/PC same I/O - NO:messenger_beaming:

c) " While it’s true that both Xbox Series X and PS5 have NVMe SSDs, Sony took things furtherby boosting the transfer speeds well beyond what’s possible on even the most expensive consumer-grade products available today, and certainly faster then Xbox Series X."

giphy.gif

No only the rumors. And what I have heard Microsoft is supposedly been running full speed. The other rumor I heard is if the Covid 19 issues continued into July or so then Microsoft would be effected. Like I said all alone The Microsoft stuff isn’t on record like the Sony Stuff is.

When you say only rumours ... you obviously believe them to post here. So ... how did production go into full swing in Feb when China was shutdown? Foxconn only reopened in April, with ~ 15% of staff.

Sorry I need to edit this ... The Sony stuff is on the record? You mean "sources familiar with the matter". That is NOT Sony on the record.

Last edited:

In his mind, probably.

When you say only rumours ... you obviously believe them to post here. So ... how did production go into full swing in Feb when China was shutdown? Foxconn only reopened in April, with ~ 15% of staff.

Sorry I need to edit this ... The Sony stuff is on the record? You mean "sources familiar with the matter". That is NOT Sony on the record.

Sony sources on record. Your correct Sony never Has commented on record about the production.

Last edited:

dr guildo

TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX similar SSD ? - Yes :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX similar I/O -YES :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX similar I/O - YES:messenger_beaming:

Not at all because of the extraodinary scalability of UE5, they won't have to. You can develop for the highest common denominator and the engine will scale down automatically on weaker hardwares. EPic was clear about that.

So what about the other part of the post? How did MS go into full production in Feb when China was shutdown from mid Jan till April?
I don’t know. The Microsoft stuff as I said all along is all rumor. Phil comment a month or so ago production was in full swing and going good in a podcast. I can not comment on that I do not know. Just putting the pieces together.

I do know at one time Didn’t Microsoft uses to have a huge production line in Mexico also?

husomc

And I believe - based on specs and raw numbers - that the XSX is the better system overall. It makes it very easy for developers, since it offers sustained performance, it's does not use any variable frequencies or anything, which is great.

And regarding DualSense, that's the thing: Are Devs really going to use all those features, especially multiplatform devs? I mean, how often has the Touchpad on the DS4 been used by multiplatform devs? Not many times, so I guess it will be the same with DualSense, so all those "revolutionary" features might be totally wasted.
Are all the devs really going to use 12 Tf on the XSEX? i mean for me personally, the best looking game on the xbox platform is Ori 2. Beautiful art design but hardly a showcase for a 12 TF console. So the revolutionary 12 Tf will mostly be wasted. Unless Microsoft orders an abundance of raytraced mirrors in all their games.

I don’t know. The Microsoft stuff as I said all along is all rumor. Phil comment a month or so ago production was in full swing and going good in a podcast. I can not comment on that I do not know. Just putting the pieces together.

So no sources on your Xbox numbers. Mentioned production in full swing since Feb which looks pretty much impossible.

Okay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom