• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
30fps

vomiting-gif-9.gif

If that makes you feel sick, try this one:

J_Gamer.exe

I called it. "Concern" over the broadcast. Fact is, MOST people still cannot reliably stream 4k. 1080p is pushing it for a lot of the world but bottom line, this is obviously a choice to ensure that the most people possible do not have streaming and quality issues while still maintaining HD for the visual presentation.

I saw 1080p 30 and was like hmmm. But doesn't matter as I dont own a 4k device yet and watch all gaming thing on phone or tablet.

I watched UE5 on phone and was blown away at 1080p so not an issue at all.

Actually when watching YouTube I dont watch on my tv anymore as the picture quality seems poorer and more noticeable on the bigger screen. On the phone its much sharper.

I imagine the majority watching would so in similar way anyway.

You can see the difference between 60 and 30fps on YouTube, why make me wait until after
Once I watched a the famous 60fps rabbit movie on youtube I always thought the movie was on fast forward. Thank god I am one of the few people that doesn't care about fps as long as they are steady. Played tlou1 on ps3 never saw some hiccup or drops, played das1 on my igpu with 22 fps and never saw something out of place, played botw on my wiiu, where the game randomly freezed when you beat up a moblin and still had incredible fun. As long it's fixed I will have my fun.

Mr Moose

At the launch of this gen, Ryse was the best looking game. I think it's debatable what game on the PS4 Pro looks better than Gears5, but there's no point in arguing because everyone has an own opinion on what they find pretty. Besides that, the XSX has the better GPU, CPU and RAM. That's basically why I think they'll deliver at launch, but bookmark my post, I have no problem with saying I'm wrong once we've seen gameplay on both sides.
Ryse wasn't cross-gen, it was also 900p, ran like shit and reused enemies for fun.
If we're counting launch-ish, Second Son > Ryse IMO.

Last edited:

Joey.

Whoa no please link!

Dang, I loss the links as I was scrolling through Twitter but I did save the images.

The Brazil one looks fake (12 months of PS+ free lol?) but here it is and then another completely different leak showing a similar design. This could be old...not even sure

Hmmm.....

Prob both fake :D
Dcc11sy.jpg

tqkJWPM.jpg

It also coincides with other rumours saying that its rectangle shape, bulky/thick with rounded edges.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Once I watched a the famous 60fps rabbit movie on youtube I always thought the movie was on fast forward. Thank god I am one of the few people that doesn't care about fps as long as they are steady. Played tlou1 on ps3 never saw some hiccup or drops, played das1 on my igpu with 22 fps and never saw something out of place, played botw on my wiiu, where the game randomly freezed when you beat up a moblin and still had incredible fun. As long it's fixed I will have my fun.

giphy.gif

Please don't try and justify 30fps and why would you watch a move in 60fps
why.png

See, you are fine now. Sometimes you need to smell stinky socks if you feel dizzy. :lollipop_fearful:

s-l640.jpg

Have a play before bed time then i'll tuck you and Rusco in to the bunk bed in a min, alright.

Please don't try and justify 30fps and why would you watch a move in 60fps
Where do I do that? I am talking about this thing here (not a movie a blender short film) regardless looks like someone pressed fast forward most of the time. I just don't care about fps, as long as they don't jump 10 frames every 3 seconds.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where do I do that? I am talking about this thing here (not a movie a blender short film) regardless looks like someone pressed fast forward most of the time. I just don't care about fps, as long as they don't jump 10 frames every 3 seconds.

24fps on movies help with some shaky cams and so to blend more naturally, but gaming is another plate. Anyway it's a stream, after that we'll get the 4K with the targeted fps version of them.

Last edited:
this is dumb.

just watch timdog and co run with this.

uploading some 1440p gameplay via home servers shouldnt take that long.
Redgamingtech speculated that they are running it in 30 FPS for PR purposes so that graphic analyzers like DF wouldn’t point out any dips in framerate , to say 52 FPS, that could have been caused by YouTube, and then Sony gets blamed for it.

Night.Ninja

Banned

Have you played any games at 60fps this gen?

Have you played any games at 60fps this gen?
- RottR
- Shadow of the Tomb raider
- NIer:A
- Dark souls 3 (and 2 but it was cross gen)
- Sekiro
- Prey
- Hollow Knight
- Ori 1 and 2
- plus some other fps like ghost reacon, sniper, metro etc.

I honestly didn't played that much current gen games afaik. But yeah I got a pc with a not that bad gpu, so I played basically every last gen game also on 60fps (except my ps3 games).

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
- RottR
- Shadow of the Tomb raider
- NIer:A
- Dark souls 3 (and 2 but it was cross gen)
- Sekiro
- Prey
- Hollow Knight
- Ori 1 and 2
- plus some other fps like ghost reacon, sniper, metro etc.

I honestly didn't played that much current gen games afaik. But yeah I got a pc with a not that bad gpu, so I played basically every last gen game also on 60fps (except my ps3 games).

Do you see a difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Gediminas

Banned
Dang, I loss the links as I was scrolling through Twitter but I did save the images.

The Brazil one looks fake (12 months of PS+ free lol?) but here it is and then another completely different leak showing a similar design. This could be old...not even sure

Hmmm.....

Dcc11sy.jpg

tqkJWPM.jpg

It also coincides with other rumours saying that its rectangle shape, bulky/thick with rounded edges.
i hope it is not the design. but of course, they can always make it worst :D

Faithless83

Banned

Hmmm.....

Dcc11sy.jpg

tqkJWPM.jpg

Very likely fake, but BRL 12k?
This is around US$2500.
This part is nuts, but very likely real. :messenger_weary:

Last edited:
Do you see a difference between 30fps and 60fps?
Depends. For games like kh, where I have the ps3 game it feels natural in 30fps, while the ps4 version (which I didn‘t played and only saw on youtube) looks like it‘s fast forward. On games like shadow I notice drops but not if its 45 or 60 e.g. didn‘t even know that tlou1 on ps3 is sub 30fps sometimes. If I switch from 60 to let‘s say 30 in a drop or because of a cutscene, I need a little time and just get used to it. Like I said, I don‘t care about fps as long there are no drops.

TGO TGO , someone wants to talk to you about boarding the train:

Amanda-Cerny-big-busty-gif.gif

TGO TGO

27 people want her to join us.

Tbh guys that 1080p@30fps isn't a good first impression we need for a next gen console, it's been 2 weeks they could've rendered that shit on a bicycle 🤦

Ok now time to get some heat up 🤣

Side note: I'm serious 🥺
First of all, professional editing requires footage or source that is much higher resolution than you will encode your final video. Like requiring 4K footage for 1080p video render, requiring at least 6K but preferable 8K source for 4K video render.

Now everyone got up to speed that they were most likely editing with 4K footage, it needs AT LEAST 1TB of high speed disk (that eliminates HDD I'm afraid) on your rig and 128GB RAM if you are not using proxy videos off server farms, which in that case the streaming capabilities between your rig and server farm must be really high, or if you are using proxies on the rig itself then you need monster GPUs with really high encode/decode performance.

All of these most definitely are problematic in current work at home situations. Using proxy off your farm in studio isn't feasible in current data cap and BW capped internet speeds worldwide, considering the number of iterations necessary for an hour long video. So whatever rig they used could do 4K only barely to output 1080p, but I'm sure separate game video bits can be uploaded in 4K later on. They can port their projects with Edit Decision List and have it output the whole 1h video too if they want at a later time when they can access their servers directly (and using 8K or 6K sources this time)

Also for a 1 hour long video, if they've given 4K option, all 4K owners would switch to it maybe making it millions of people asking YT servers too much and it could literally crash some of them for an event this size in this current BW capped internet age. It would be a real problem if some people couldn't watch it at all, some heavily buffering all the time etc. and all angry at Sony instead of real problems like the ISPs or sucking YT servers. This was a good choice.

FRIENDLY PSA:

REMEMBER FOLKS... Basic stereo headphones/headset, make sure you disable "virtual surround", "7.1+" or "3d audio" processing.

The spatial sound and HRTF are baked into the stereo 2.0 stream. You only have two ears, you only need two channels.

If they are in fact demonstrating Tempest 3D Audio over the stream, then don't worry if it doesn't work so well for you, your HRTF profile may differ from the norm and this should be adjustable on the final console.

Also, a general rule of thumb for binaural audio + general hrtf: In-Ear > Over-Ear > On-Ear
Are we sure about this is with some default HRFT baked in stream for demonstrating Tempest Engine? If so I would turn off VSS on my Platinum headset.

Fake

FRIENDLY PSA:

REMEMBER FOLKS... Basic stereo headphones/headset, make sure you disable "virtual surround", "7.1+" or "3d audio" processing.

The spatial sound and HRTF are baked into the stereo 2.0 stream. You only have two ears, you only need two channels.

If they are in fact demonstrating Tempest 3D Audio over the stream, then don't worry if it doesn't work so well for you, your HRTF profile may differ from the norm and this should be adjustable on the final console.

Also, a general rule of thumb for binaural audio + general hrtf: In-Ear > Over-Ear > On-Ear

One question: And from those who will watch on TV using TV speakers? Bistream or PCM linear?

Night.Ninja

Banned
You can't be that dumb. Its just a stream. I watched GoF lower than 720p and after they updload the conference rewatched at 4k.

Who cares of its "Just a stream" :messenger_neutral: its a pre-recorded video

We are seeing the start of a new generation no excuse for a 30fps video.

but it is what it is

Depends. For games like kh, where I have the ps3 game it feels natural in 30fps, while the ps4 version (which I didn‘t played and only saw on youtube) looks like it‘s fast forward. On games like shadow I notice drops but not if its 45 or 60 e.g. didn‘t even know that tlou1 on ps3 is sub 30fps sometimes. If I switch from 60 to let‘s say 30 in a drop or because of a cutscene, I need a little time and just get used to it. Like I said, I don‘t care about fps as long there are no drops.

So on PC do your play your at 60FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom