• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilms

Banned
Apologies if old. Apparently, the reason the ps5 is huge is because of its cooling solution.

sP9oE9i.jpg

Last edited:

aclar00

Astro's Playroom PS5 gameplay screenshots from a video, not direct feed from the console:
(A FREE GAME THAT COMES INSIDE EVERY PS5 CONSOLE)

astros-playroom-hug-controller.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-01.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-02.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-03.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-09.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-08.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-07.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-06.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-05.original.jpg

astros-playroom-screenshot-04.original.jpg

Nice to have a game for free on each console to play around it and test it, not sure how long it'll be though. But it's a great gift from Sony.

The 4K trailer:

Doubt it will be too big, but it should be bigger than PS4's Playroom

ethomaz

Banned
That is way different from my estimate from USB port.

It is more like 36 x 19 x 8.5 cm (top... on middle it is 6.5 cm) or 38 x 20 x 8.5 cm.

Edit - He says 9.5cm is the bottom of the BD drive... it is accurate... that part is indeed 9.5cm... without the BD drive (the digital version) it is 8.5cm with the middle being 6.5cm.

Last edited:

icerock

Lmao at the disingenuous fanboi in the comment

Additionally, when asked about Sony's June vs Microsoft's July he said

"Sony will have a nice June.
Microsoft will have a great July"

When what he actually wrote :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Shinobi said "I skimmed through the whole thing and there's literally nothing really new in there besides Hellblade on UE5, which they kind of indirectly said before anyway. Which signals to me they put this out just to stay in the conversation before tomorrow's onslaught.

All to be expected really. Sony's going to have a nice month this month. Microsoft's July event will be great. Back and forth."

I don’t even know why do this? There has been enough chatter from unpaid Xbox PR to legit insiders/journalists about MS putting on a big event and yet they feel the need to continuously try and one up the competition. Even if it means selective quoting and providing misleading context.

Let's hope all this hype is backed up in July.

sircaw

Banned
I think for the first time in....6 years... Microsoft's will have the superior games lineup. Sony messed up releasing GoT on PS4. Should have switched that game over to PS5 back in 2017.

When you think about it, its really 16 years.
Never mind me, just having a giggle.

They seem to have a good line up, lets hope we get lots of game play.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Only uneducated people and liars say that current gen won't drag next gen gaming.

Yep and its going to be come more prevalent the further we go into the generation.

I do feel sorry for game designers sometimes, having to meet a wide variety of different devices or having comprises can be tad bit soul destroying to your vision. Maybe not so much for big companies who have resources but small companies with few people, it must be a real pain in the you know what.

If i was a developer i would just say nope, ps5 or equivalent and that its.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Btw Bo, i was checking my reactions today, according to the fire emote, i have been set on fire 103 times.

YOUR RESPOSIBLE FOR LIKE 25 of them

I understand that you live out in the desert, and the wars over their had a lot of oil derricks burning, but this is not a good way to devolp a long term friend ship.

Just SAYING.

If bloody brave heart was not bad enough, i got another scots man now burning me, Damn you Geordie.

bloody pyromaniacs.

For all you people setting me on FIRE DAMN YOU ALL< MODS HELP

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Yeah, totally. That 1080p stream really did a great disservice to the game and to many others that were shown. Rewatching the trailer in 4K on Youtube is a must, you'll see a huge difference, the visuals are significantly better, the colours pop so much more, the resolution is sharp and the game is fluid. This is only a in-engine cinamatic trailer. I cannot wait to see how the gameplay and mechanics will look like.
Screw YouTube, download the 4K @ 13,500 Kbps version from here and watch that. YouTube is still terribly compressed no matter what resolution you set, it's just impossible to catch all the small environmental details (and there are a lot).

realcool

Maybe this is an alternative sequel to HZD where the woke culture eventually leads to robotic dinosaurs and humans "intermingling" and starting indie rock bands? In all seriousness I have no idea what in the heck is going on here...

I'll tell you about some things that went on...

hHL9vDX.jpg

... SonGoku SonGoku shows up for orientation, skips like three semesters, and as soon as he gets back he gets suspended for passing illicit notes in class.

At some point there was a brief issue where a flock of pigeons got into the school. Shit everywhere.

There was a scandal involving a group of students who were coordinating outside of school in order to spread foul rumors throughout the school.
Eventually, the operation was exposed and they left the school. However, sometimes they try to wear Groucho glasses to fool security so they can gain reentry.
Sometimes, they'll get caught and removed from the premises.
Sometimes, they'll get caught, removed from the premises, and come back 5 minutes later with a different mask on. Weird.

If you're in the middle of class and hear raptor-like footsteps coming from the hallway, that's just a student who enrolled here with the longest talons ever recorded in school history.

For a while there were a couple of students who were trying to peddle snake oil on campus. They were outed as charlatans and haven't been seen since.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
With all due respect to Insomniac and Guerrilla, Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are a cut above them. Guerrillas' Killzone looked brilliant at launch, but was later toppled by Uncharted 4 and Order 1886 (SSM assisted development). Same with Horizon: Zero Dawn, it was toppled by God of War and now TLOU II.

Games get better and prettier with time, it happens on every gen. I genuinely don't get so many concerns about visuals, they are leaving a lot of power on the table by pushing Native 4K and RT. That can be harnessed later on. Not to mention the tools generally get better over time as they learn more about the machines.
yeah i thought the same. i thought lost legacy looked better than horizon and then same with gow.

then i went back and played horizon last year and had my mind blown all over again. no offense to SSM and ND, but they are like step children to me now. only game that looks better than horizon is rdr2 and thats because it had like 3000 people working on it for 7 years.

So can anyone help me understand this - given that the transfer of data is so big and fast with the SSD and I/O importing assets straight from zbrush, etc, losslessly means the gpu just only has to display it/render it without LODs but a ton of processing to spare?

As a Sony fan I really liked Sonys latest show and I am hyped about the PS5 Design.

However I do not dare to be to cocky about it. We haven't seen all from either side. So I will wait for MS and Sony to unveil everything about their next gen consoles, services and games.

Only then I would feel save enough to jugde them. So far theres still much to be seen. And I would really love MS to close the gap in terms of quality AAA Games.
So I hope MS will show off a good amount of 1st Party AAA Games with a good diversity in gamedesign and gameplay.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How "near" is near launch?

If Sony manages to release R&C, Demons Souls and Horizon 2 in 2021 then it's going to be pretty difficult for Microsoft to top that

Well, consoles usually sell out (or close to) for the first 2-4 months. Sales start slowing down sometime in January-March.

If Ghost of Tsushima was a beautiful next gen game and released in March, April, or May it would give the PS5 a shot in the arm and allow Guerilla Games to release Horizon II closer to Holiday 2021.

I'm also going to push back on the idea that Ratchet and Clank or Demons Souls are needle movers. Ratchet and Clank will sell well but it's a pretty stale/consistent/"solid" franchise at this point. I don't think it's moving units for our demographic.

I'm a Sony fan. I haven't been impressed with Microsoft's offerings since maybe early XBox 360 (and by that time I was tiring of Halo, Gears, Forza), but I think Sony has completely left the door open to steal the hype during it's first year. I think Halo Infinite will be roughly 4x bigger than most people let on here, and I wouldn't be shocked if we see Fable/Perfect Dark/New IP dwarf the hype we see from non Horizon II games.

I think it's a bad look if Sony fired all their salvos at the June 11th event. I think they "need" more. Maybe they have a round two coming. Maybe they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom