• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
VT1XE4R.jpg

dWetMsa.jpg

2IK8ePJ.jpg

qRL2BVg.jpg

oJdh0JF.jpg

La78FkM.jpg

e31M4oI.jpg

I really start to love those custom made PS 5 Designs. Cant wait for some great limited editions

Wow. Those are AWESOME! I would definitely buy one of those if they were available at launch!

SSfox

If i would complain about something related to PS5 event, it would be that there's no next gen fighting game announcement. But it was expected tho, usually fighting games take 2 years at least to show up in next gen, and the time they showed up in the past it was tech demo, or a game that would launch as F2P with 5 characters like KI.

GeorgPrime

Banned
So what do you think are the next problems for the consoles? YLOD? Somrthing else?

So now studios with 100 people make AAA games? Strange times.

They said its an "aaa" game not an "AAA" game. You have to read between the lines... or in that case focus on the capital letters.

;)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Indeed man and I couldn’t agree more. There are matters of taste and matter of a sort of objective science (if such a case existed for Sony’s choices). I don’t prefer the awesome looking B&W aesthetic for PS5 (earth tones, gunmetal, space or charcoal gray, etc., is my preference) but it is far from some kind of objective “wrong” lol.

The entire analog “symmetrical/asymmetrical“ debate is nothing more than one group saying strawberry tastes “better” to them than chocolate lol. How silly it is when we literally attempt to prove those personal or subjective preferences objectively. It is called ice-skating uphill:messenger_ok:.

I explained before and showed footage that DS4 has superior finger reach than Xbox conotroller that you would need to change the grip a bit due to the unnecessary wide grip offset. Anyway, if someone is fine with his preferred controller then good for him anyway.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The game says "designed for PS5", which I understood that the game is made to use the PS5 I/O SSD advantages, but like you said will come to PC, but even PC doesn't have a System I/O like PS5, so I have my doubts.

Probably the game will be different, or the PS5 Assests will be higher and heavily. If my interpretation is right I can see some elevators or other loading things.

I believe the PC ultra version will be the new Crysis if they push for PS5 as mentioned. Just like the PC version of Godfall looks like a PS4 game with insane frame drops and shown only at 1080p.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Digital Foundry has said that Cerny will invite them to tear down the PlayStation 5. When do you think this will occur? Also, do you think that they'll tear down both versions or just one?

EDIT:

I was mistaken; I misrecalled was Richard said in a Digital Foundry video. He said that Cerny/ Sony would be doing their own tear-down, not that Digital Foundry would do one.

20:35

Last edited:

Nowcry

So can anyone help me understand this - given that the transfer of data is so big and fast with the SSD and I/O importing assets straight from zbrush, etc, losslessly means the gpu just only has to display it/render it without LODs but a ton of processing to spare?

To avoid overloading the GPU, before rendering polygons, a rasterization step is added before calculating the fragments (lighting and textures of each polygon), only the polygons aligned with the pixel are calculated and the others are omitted, the Polygons would be impossible to appreciate if they are smaller than the pixel.

The farther or closer the camera is from the object, the more polygons are rasterized from the object and are represented. This gives the feeling of infinite quality and allows to eliminate the LOD.

I hope the translator is working fine.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Andodalf

Banned
To avoid overloading the GPU, before rendering polygons, a rasterization step is added before calculating the fragments (lighting and textures of each polygon), only the polygons aligned with the pixel are calculated and the others are omitted, the Polygons would be impossible to appreciate if they are smaller than the pixel.

The farther or closer the camera is from the object, the more polygons are rasterized from the object and are represented. This gives the feeling of infinite quality and allows to eliminate the LOD.

I hope the translator is working fine.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So instead of having to author LODs, which takes a good bit of work, the engine create LODs on the fly perfectly for the amount of screen space the object takes up. Beyond not needing to author LODs, this means you’ll always have a “perfect” LOD, never rendering more tris than you need, but always having enough to resolve an object as best you can given the amount of screen space/number of pixels it takes up.

GRIEVEZ

Feel the need to reiterate that portion:

Now to the crux of whole VRS debacle and PS5's inherent hw efficiency that voids the need to use VRS in the first place
Remember Matt Hargett ex Sony principle software engineer on Playstation when he tweeted this gem:

and also this thread where someone working at MS gets in on the discussion and says MS also have GE (but from GCN μArch, then Matt retorts and says what PS has is specific to their platform and what MS has is generic version - and MS employee deletes his tweets after breaking NDA and making a fool of himself in the meanwhile)

Let me try to explain it to you guys, GE - Geometry Engine is not something one and done, it has versions just like GCN, RDNA 1, RDNA 2, and what MS didn't work on with their consoles were primitive discards right on the primitive shaders, which unsurprisingly what Sony was working on for during last gen, both in PS4 and then later on PS4 Pro consoles. Their efforts were mostly unused because of some reason that are not clear, but it is safe to say they botched that aspect up until now. However on PS5, with their past mistakes, they implemented the correct hw to discard geometry that is
1 - not in the FoV of the screen with some safety margins, (++ perf gain)
2 - in the screen but behind objects thus are unseen (+++++ perf gain)

#2 is important because up until now, the objects behind were still being calculated in the GPU (before GE) but then later on discarded, since they are not drawn on the screen anyway, however as you can see even some calculation for those unseen/behind objects are completely unnecessary. PS4 Pro botched the implementation of this step (did the #1 very well and you can see HZD documentary for it - timestamped for exact visualization and explanation to #1)

Back then it was (trade marked) called as frustum culling which lead to the no loading, no cut open world designs like the ones found in God of War, HZD etc.

Now at this point they could do #2 as well but not on hardware, and not before whole lot of calculations were done on the object that will end up non-drawn anyway. Doing it in software not only loads CPU, but also not all GPU cycles were freed for those occluded objects, only a portion of it (and most likely very small one).

Now GE on PS5 is capable of doing it in hw and freeing up those precious cycles for other things, and on the next gen consoles only PS5 has the new version while MS gone ahead with the old one (but instead they went with VRS way).

There's a patent deep dive in a post if you want to read further

Bonus points for Death Stranding

EDIT: You know what watch the whole thing

Dude... Thats an AWESOME channel!!

How the f!#@$ have I never heard of this :lollipop_flores:

Thank you!

Life is Strange is a masterpiece though, and has one of the best soundtracks.:messenger_smiling:
You are a good person but your taste in some games are... oh my god so different from my for said in some way hahaha :lollipop_squint_tongue:,
I mean I don't think is a bad game and yes the soundtrack is good but not in that level to be a masterpiece.
I am in two minds about Godfall, that last trailer did more damage than good to me, I think its that's shitty gangster music/rap or what ever they call it, they keep using in the videos.

I know i am old but come one, Beautiful looking games about knights and swords needs more orchestral tracks or classical music in their surroundings.

Every time i hear vocals of i wanna flip flop, canon top wanna make you my pop kinda throws me off the games.

Its probably why i am not a fan of GTA5.
I like rap also I like the gameplay of Godfall but that trailer almost kill the few hype I had for that game.
I remember this. The PlayStation 2 also demo'ed it in real time on the vector units. Vectors are very good for processing high speed math needed for RT.

Article that sourced Gaf:

As you say the use of rays are not necessary new what is new is it use is so huge quantity for example now you use rays in engines is for things
like collisions and even in order to make some basic reflections like Decima engine use in this gen.

Stray when it was know as HK_Project back in 2016

vid_20151024_141113.gif

hk_wip_03_2017.gif

int_hallway_0000_2.gif

GOTY

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People are really going too far with the lies and delusion! The PC version looks like PS4 and has severe framedrops at 1080p!

It takes a hard drug to think that's better, just look at the dislikes and the jokes about the severe frame drops. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

People are really going too far with the lies and delusion! The PC version looks like PS4 and has severe framedrops at 1080p!

It takes a hard drug to think that's better, just look at the dislikes and the jokes about the severe frame drops. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

The game could have problems of optimization but the game is part of the first wave of this new gen, from a small (Counterplay Games)
and the release date is close so in my opinion this combination of factors doesn't make possible the game looks better in PS5 than ultra in PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The game could have problems of optimization but the game is part of the first wave of this new gen, from a small (Counterplay Games)
and the release date is close so in my opinion this combination of factors doesn't make possible the game looks better in PS5 than ultra in PC.

Didn't understand you well, my friend. The PS5 version looks smoother, better lighting, and stable 60fps. That PC version looks like PS4 with 15fps on some occasions. The people are laughing at the PC version and throwing dislikes:

llll.jpg

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
“ This post is Out of the subject please don’t reply unless you are a master race person “

sorry guys is anyone here pro in PCs ? I’m gonna build a PC and I want someone who really knows the thing .. you can DM me if you like

Last edited:
Didn't understand you well, my friend. The PS5 version looks smoother, better lighting, and stable 60fps. That PC version looks like PS4 with 15fps on some occasions. The people are laughing at the PC version and throwing dislikes:
I can assure you a high end pc and ps5 will run this game 4k 60 fps with RT, yes I know you see issues in the videos but I think this caused for other reason
aside to the PS5 be stratospheric better from the start.

The studio is small a probably don't have enough time to use as they want the PS5/Turing GPUs or maybe they focus is "disproportion" way their efforts to optimize
the game first to PS5 devk kit compare to the PC environment then yes the drops in framerate will be in retail product but this is more a problem in
optimization or even bad design than other things.

I mean if my PC version has so many problem I will prefer to remove some of the ultra options instead to have bad critics for this avoidable problem and then added
in a later patch.

Last edited:

HAL-01

So what do we think? $499 disc version, $449 digital? Saw some rumors today of them pushing digital down to $399 figuring on no used games, higher percentage of online subs, and higher profit margin on games bought digitally as an offset for a larger loss on hardware
Sony will be aggressively pushing for all digital, we can expect a $100 difference. I’d say 400 all digital, 500 regular. MS may price their series x $500, and series s $350. Sony has incentive to keep the all digital at 400 both for the profit margins and to offer a much better price value in comparison to the Series S

Tiago07

I believe the PC ultra version will be the new Crysis if they push for PS5 as mentioned. Just like the PC version of Godfall looks like a PS4 game with insane frame drops and shown only at 1080p.
Yeah its possible, PC Gamers is already accustomed with Bad Ports and Highly Heavy games so this is a great possibility.

But the game trailer says "console timed exclusive", so they can launch someday with a PC better hardware and architecture.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah its possible, PC Gamers is already accustomed with Bad Ports and Highly Heavy games so this is a great possibility.

But the game trailer says "console timed exclusive", so they can launch someday with a PC better hardware and architecture.

No it'll release at the same time on PC, I think. But they can always play on 1080p with their tiny 27" with 144Hz on ULTRA LOW graphics to hit 96fps. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

husomc

The end of this fiscal year will be a huge loss for SIE, probably billions huge. The amount of money they've invested in PS5 R&D and games is staggering. It will return with profit in the following years, though.
Wouldn't most of the money going into R&D have be invested earlier on in the development cycle ? I think Sony have been smart about it and spread out the R&D costs over the years from the time time PS4 Pro was released. But still they will have to fork out for the manufacturing costs in this fiscal year.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i was disappointed as well, it was definitely not a Driveclub moment
I expected the game to look the way photo mode looks on current gen racing games

DduSW9P.jpg

Actually current gen GT Sport looks better than Forza 7:

It only suffers from 1440p compared to native 4K on Forza 7, but without a zoom the GT Sport is always the obvious winner.

Now the realistic photo mode which was snatch later by Forza.

thx36ip6nsqz.jpg

IMG_9382.jpg

Gt-Sport-He.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom