• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

"Sony do not have equivalent of Smart Delivery"

Turns out that was non-sense too, it supports cross-buy as well as cross-save across same platforms. Let's see what next FUD we have to deal with next.

So is dual entitlement essentially a patch upgrade? I'm just trying to solidify the meaning of this and Smart delivery again in my head lol.

Lethal01

Better than anything Sony showed at the reveal
It's easier to render that head than it is to render stray or little devil inside.

dont get me wrong, i am expecting the game to look better by launch, im just pointing to this to show it should be possible to have this level of quality with next gen hardware.

It shows that it's possible..... when you render cars and nothing else.

I'm not saying that this level can't be reached in a real game. In fact Alloys face could end up looking just as impressive when you set up the lighting and camera specifically to showcased the detail.

but rendering a head/car and pretty much nothing else is just not impressive and the quality you get while doing so says nothing about what a real game "should" look like.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Alright folks, I’m gonna be off this thread for a while, starting in 2 hours, I’m gonna be playing my most anticipated game of the year. Waited for this game since the day it was announced, and now I can’t believe I’m about to play it in a few hours.

2OILRVt.jpg

Thtll be me brethren I'm so ready!!!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm now outright convinced that all BC on PS5 requires tests/potentially patching and that there is no downclocking done.

Y'all don't want to have another back and forth as I know we've exhausted this but it's what I gather from all the Sony statements

And yes I watched the presentation intently, read every word Sony has said about it, and yes I understand how PS4 Pro works. Nor am I mad about it as all I personally care about is Sony first party and I'd guess they'll patch all of those games to work just fine. I also suspect most games will just work anyways with little to no patching hence their confidence that most of the library is gonna be BC.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Alright folks, I’m gonna be off this thread for a while, starting in 2 hours, I’m gonna be playing my most anticipated game of the year. Waited for this game since the day it was announced, and now I can’t believe I’m about to play it in a few hours.

2OILRVt.jpg

Yes! Almost time. I'm going to be on that as well. Have a long weekend this weekend to see how far I can get, though I usually explore everywhere and go pretty slowly when I'm first playing a game like this so I literally have no idea how far I'll be able to get. Not looking ANYTHING up online either as I don't want any spoilers, etc. Totally blind play through for me!

I just hope this game lives up to the first and doesn't make me regret them making a sequel. We shall see....

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So is dual entitlement essentially a patch upgrade? I'm just trying to solidify the meaning of this and Smart delivery again in my head lol.
It means the SKU is separate and you get a second license in general. That's how a lot of the cross buy worked on PS3/360 moving into PS4/XBO era.

You got a download code and theoretically could still play your old gen copy at the same time or even sell it (but that used game doesn't come with a second copy, whereas with smart delivery if you bought a used game you could use it on either system.)

Ptarmiganx2

you sleep, you know, power the dreams 🤡 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
[/QUOTE]

Power your dreams
How many of you got Wives?

GZIVQKK.jpg
I was able to convert my wife to a gamer with Resident Evil 4 on PS3. We play coop and alternate on single player games. At some point she became better than me which ticks me off. In Destiny she’s at the top of the leader board and I’m in a fight for my life to rank second from last.

Ptarmiganx2

Play some games, you'll feel better ;) I might not be as active few hours from now playing TLOU2, and of course sleep is for the weak!

In my younger years I finished Final Fantasy IX in a single 26 hour session. I had no choice, I played on the PS2 but wasn’t aware I needed a PS1 memory card to save my game. I manned up and beat it in a single session. My eyes hurt for 2 days!

Nickolaidas

-No 99x healing items cap
-Ladder movement
-Rebalancing spells/melee
-Omni directional rolling
-Tendency rework
You forgot one thing.

One thing which will show the Souls fans whether Bluepoint can be creators as well as refiners.

The sixth Archstone.

I mean, imagine a trailer showing you the Nexus, camera pans all around, showing you the archstones one by one ...

... and lastly goes to the 6th ... and you see it is not broken.

Internet explodes.

FeiRR

Banned
In my younger years I finished Final Fantasy IX in a single 26 hour session. I had no choice, I played on the PS2 but wasn’t aware I needed a PS1 memory card to save my game. I manned up and beat it in a single session. My eyes hurt for 2 days!

My friend didn't have a cassette player to load Atari games. I went to him, he chose River Raid, loaded it and then we disconnected the player with his computer on (which was very dangerous). I met him two days later, his eyes were bloodshot red. He'd been playing that one game for almost 48h straight.

Kids are so spoiled now!

what the size is now? we started with 38, then 39, then 42...

It's growing on people.

PS5 release date?

I think those are going to be enhanced next gen versions of mk11 and I2.

I think PS5 will release on 20th November because it's Friday. Xbox will probably release a day earlier so they can rule the generation for one day.

Last edited:

SgtCaffran

... No, they don't.
Bcpack and Kraken are compression methods.
Oodle Texture is not a compression method, but facilitates compression.
I'm by no means an expert but how I understand is that BCn (Block Compression 1-7) are native GPU formats that can be used directly by the GPU and which have lossy compression. The compression is done by describing 4x4 pixel blocks with a fixed byte size utilising line segment pallets for each block.

The resulting data happens to compress way better than native lossless image formats due to the block structuring. Zlib and Kraken are lossless generic compression techniques that allow the BCn format textures to be further decreased in size on disk. Xbox uses Zlib and PS can use either Zlib or Kraken.

So the advantage is that texture data in BCn or block compressed format actually compresses better than other image formats. Xbox BCPack (literally Block Compression Pack) is most likely a proprietary piece of software for BCn compression. Playstation has opted to license Oodle Texture which I think is actually very similar.

So unless you have some new information that shows BCPack does more than BCn format compression, they are actually the same thing. (I know MS said that they included some hardware texture filters but I feel like those are only good for when textures cannot be loaded in time which I don't think is a problem the PS5 has)

pasterpl

And going forward, I have more faith I won't lose an iconic anime game like Captain Tsubasa, which is available on every platform (PS4, Switch, Steam) but not xbox!

but I thought that you dont care about back compatibility and you are not interested in games that are current gen, only next gen titles matter to you, you said it multiple times....make up your mind please :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

My friend didn't have a cassette player to load Atari games. I went to him, he chose River Raid, loaded it and then we disconnected the player with his computer on (which was very dangerous). I met him two days later, his eyes were bloodshot red. He'd been playing that one game for almost 48h straight.

Kids are so spoiled now!

It's growing on people.

I think PS5 will release on 20th November because it's Friday. Xbox will probably release a day earlier so they can rule the generation for one day.

Tell me about it, my fiend‘s kids like watching other people play games on youtube.. They don’t even play themselves.! I have fond memories of River Raid on my uncles 5200.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm by no means an expert but how I understand is that BCn (Block Compression 1-7) are native GPU formats that can be used directly by the GPU and which have lossy compression. The compression is done by describing 4x4 pixel blocks with a fixed byte size utilising line segment pallets for each block.

The resulting data happens to compress way better than native lossless image formats due to the block structuring. Zlib and Kraken are lossless generic compression techniques that allow the BCn format textures to be further decreased in size on disk. Xbox uses Zlib and PS can use either Zlib or Kraken.

So the advantage is that texture data in BCn or block compressed format actually compresses better than other image formats. Xbox BCPack (literally Block Compression Pack) is most likely a proprietary piece of software for BCn compression. Playstation has opted to license Oodle Texture which I think is actually very similar.

So unless you have some new information that shows BCPack does more than BCn format compression, they are actually the same thing. (I know MS said that they included some hardware texture filters but I feel like those are only good for when textures cannot be loaded in time which I don't think is a problem the PS5 has)

Blog post from one of the RAD Game Tools folks: http://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/06/oodle-texture-slashes-game-sizes.html

Oodle works by preparing the Texture to compress better rearranging the data inside each block in a way that is still compatible with the GPU native decoder and thus does not require much of any unpacking in the shader (although one of the posts by a RAD engineer on Twitter was talking about doing some decompression in the shader, maybe unrelated need to check some more).

What is the BCPack HW decoder then? Assuming there is even a small amount of GPU work in the bolded part of the BCn -> Oodle Texture/equivalent format conversion -> kraken compress -> ... -> kraken decompress -> Oodle Texture or equivalent to BCn conversion pipeline maybe that is what MS put in the HW decoder on top of zlib.

So, MS could be using a proprietary and even more compressed step that does the texture block formatting and compression (SDK tools) and then in HW decompresses it?

On PS5 you would have three possible paths:
  1. BCn Texture compressed through kraken then decompressed by the HW kraken block and loaded by the GPU
  2. BCn Texture processed through Oodle Texture and compressed through kraken then decompressed by the HW kraken block and loaded by the GPU
  3. BCn Texture processed through Oodle Texture and/or by a different tooling on top of it (let’s call it step XYZ) then decompressed by the HW kraken block, processed by the GPU compute shader you undo step XYZ back into a native format (GPU’s support some compressed texture formats natively), and loaded by the GPU
The list above would be in order of texture compression efficiency from worst to best.

Edit: so yeah tired but I think I was on the mark :). See the following blog post and the summary by this RAD Game Tools engineer on Twitter (picture attached): http://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/06/oodle-texture-bc7prep-data-flow.html

d4QvOrK.jpg

JaovAOx.png

I think XVA’s BCPack HW decoder is a HW implementation of something like BC7Prep (but MS proprietary, Oodle does not seem involved there) + standard zlib (XSX is not using Kraken).

Last edited:

Kusarigama

but I thought that you dont care about back compatibility and you are not interested in games that are current gen, only next gen titles matter to you, you said it multiple times....make up your mind please :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Just stop okay, he clearly says "going forward" he won't miss such iconic game because only xbox isn't getting such games. It might change. Stop with that trolly wink and blow kiss emoji too.

zaitsu

Banned
Based on the "Amazon Leaks". So probably fake.

However: 399 for the DE and 499 for the disk version are quite realistic and absolutely no risky bet. November 19 or 20 has also been haunting through the web for a few weeks now, as PS5 games like Godfall or the dualsense have been shown by some retailers with the release date November 19 or 20.
Exactly

I would say the latter half of November is a safe bet for the PS5. In terms of price, I think it's $499 and $399 also.

Depending if Microsoft strikes first, Sony could change that price depending on what they do. Or they may not, as I'm sure we haven't seen every ace up their sleeve in terms of games. May let the library justify the tag.

I don't believe a system with the raw-power specs MS has on Series X comes in below $449, honestly. I think it'll be $499 for both systems--anything above that in this tumultuous economy is very risky.

Any word on pre-orders? I've been hearing rumors of August.

FranXico

Marvel logo on playstation site
wfeV77J.png
They're using Spiderman in promotional materials. Disney is very stingy regarding their IP.

Handy Fake

So the decompressor chip can't handle the decompression of oodle + Kraken alone?

He's talking about a library that's included in Oodle there - the previous few messages posted above it on this page puts it into context.

Blog post from one of the RAD Game Tools folks: http://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/06/oodle-texture-slashes-game-sizes.html

Oodle works by preparing the Texture to compress better rearranging the data inside each block in a way that is still compatible with the GPU native decoder and thus does not require much of any unpacking in the shader (although one of the posts by a RAD engineer on Twitter was talking about doing some decompression in the shader, maybe unrelated need to check some more).

What is the BCPack HW decoder then? Assuming there is even a small amount of GPU work in the bolded part of the BCn -> Oodle Texture/equivalent format conversion -> kraken compress -> ... -> kraken decompress -> Oodle Texture or equivalent to BCn conversion pipeline maybe that is what MS put in the HW decoder on top of zlib.

So, MS could be using a proprietary and even more compressed step that does the texture block formatting and compression (SDK tools) and then in HW decompresses it?

On PS5 you would have three possible paths:
  1. BCn Texture compressed through kraken then decompressed by the HW kraken block and loaded by the GPU
  2. BCn Texture processed through Oodle Texture and compressed through kraken then decompressed by the HW kraken block and loaded by the GPU
  3. BCn Texture processed through Oodle Texture and/or by a different tooling on top of it (let’s call it step XYZ) then decompressed by the HW kraken block, processed by the GPU compute shader you undo step XYZ back into a native format (GPU’s support some compressed texture formats natively), and loaded by the GPU
The list above would be in order of texture compression efficiency from worst to best.

Edit: so yeah tired but I think I was on the mark :). See the following blog post and the summary by this RAD Game Tools engineer on Twitter (picture attached): http://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/06/oodle-texture-bc7prep-data-flow.html

d4QvOrK.jpg

JaovAOx.png

I think XVA’s BCPack HW decoder is a HW implementation of something like BC7Prep (but MS proprietary, Oodle does not seem involved there) + standard zlib (XSX is not using Kraken).

Probably pulling this from the realms of my arse, but I suspect BC7Prep may be an on the fly compression/decompression algorithm that is used on files not Oodle doodled by the devs.

Last edited:
So the decompressor chip can't handle the decompression of oodle + Kraken alone?

It’s not what he’s saying, and Oodle is a family of compression tools that includes Oodle Texture and Oodle Kraken, so “Oodle + Kraken” is a bit confusing.

There’s one tool (BC7Prep) that Oodle Texture also supports that if used can be decompressed on GPU on PS5 and CPU on other platforms currently.
This tool losslessly encodes a BC7 texture should that be required.
It’s way of getting a raw BC7 texture into GPU memory faster at the IO stage with the cost of some compute after it arrives.

The preferred path as seemingly stressed earlier in the chain of replies is that Oodle Texture leaves the file in a format that is read natively by the GPU with no decompression steps necessary.
This comes at the cost of lossy compression (as with BCPack) with the examples provided on RGT’s website showing the extent.

Andodalf

Banned
Who the hell is he to make that assumption. He's messing up Insomniac's messaging.

Insomic themselves compared it to the lost legacy, which was 40$ right? So it seems to be their messaging. Add on how it’s using the same map with updated assets and 40$ seems likely, but 60$ with the base Spider-Man makes even more sense

I need clarification, is RAD Games the maker of Kraken the same RAD Games that developed The Order1886? If so, I can see Kraken and Oodle Textures being the reason why this Dev gets purchased by PS in the near future.

Sethbacca

However: 399 for the DE and 499 for the disk version are quite realistic and absolutely no risky bet. November 19 or 20 has also been haunting through the web for a few weeks now, as PS5 games like Godfall or the dualsense have been shown by some retailers with the release date November 19 or 20.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Cyberpunk was pushed to Nov 19.

SSfox

What surprise me most in this is the 100$ price difference, i would expect 50$ difference but we'll see.

I need clarification, is RAD Games the maker of Kraken the same RAD Games that developed The Order1886? If so, I can see Kraken and Oodle Textures being the reason why this Dev gets purchased by PS in the near future.

Ready at Dawn (RAD) made The Order 1886.
RAD Game Tools create middleware for games development and have been around for a lot longer I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom