• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Imagine charging $100 for a blu ray drive lol

Aren’t 4K players still expensive?
At least here in Australia they still are.

N1wFdmC.jpg

Imagine charging $100 for a blu ray drive lol

They aren't. They would be selling the DE at a greater loss

If you buy a DE ;
You can not buy used games,
You must buy every single game through PSN ( sony stopped selling digital games through 3rd parties last year)

Sony takes an initial loss but they will recoup it likely in the first year

I actually started this gen out all digital until last year. Now I won't buy a game from PSN unless I intend to use it on both consoles for a while ( Like Elder scrolls or COD ) . A game like TLOU2 I will get on disk at a discount in a few months

Last edited:

ToadMan

I meant more for end of gen games like Ghosts and the last of us 2

Well looking at that CP2077 delay message - it says it’ll be playable on next gen consoles using BC mode and will get some improvements while we wait for the “real” next gen patch.

That’s basically confirming PS5 has the capability to improve PS4 games. The only question now is whether that’ll be for the whole 4000 odd game library or just for games built more recently.

THE:MILKMAN

They aren't. They would be selling the DE at a greater loss

If you buy a DE ;
You can not buy used games,
You must buy every single game through PSN ( sony stopped selling digital games through 3rd parties last year)

Sony takes an initial loss but they will recoup it likely in the first year

I actually started this gen out all digital until last year. Now I won't buy a game from PSN unless I intend to use it on both consoles for a while ( Like Elder scrolls or COD ) . A game like TLOU2 I will get on disk at a discount in a few months

I understand this but the question for Sony is are the masses ready to go all digital? Including those who currently aren't and have physical games that they'll have to get rid of?

For me a digital console appeals to those who are already close to being 100% digital today and more likely pay more for a console, not less.

Corndog

Banned
Try to see the opposite, they have a totally justified $499 price for the regular console, but instead of selling DE for $479 or $449, they're going all the way down to $399. They could do that because PS Store would have sales exclusivity and help offset the subsiding costs.
If they sell it for 399 I can see most consumers getting that version. If 449, might be more of a 60/40 split for digital version.

Tiago07

Hey guys, how do you thinks PC will work in this generation? Without a I/O PC will have several problems, like data acessibility, speed and bottlenecks.

Remember when Tim Sweeny said that probably PS5 SSD would manage to make AMD, Intel and Nvidia to work together to create a similiar system to PC ?
So for now is the "kill of ultra mode in PC", if I'm not wrong the ultra mode is only a improvement of Geometry and polygons, and this is not a problem for any nextgen console now.

Last edited:

Nowcry

Well if tempest uses a kind of cell processor why not emulate the ps3 on the tempest engine??
I don't think Cell has a complete ability to handle its own I / O, access ROPS and other hardware necessary to be a complete Cell.

Simplifying a lot, with few fixes on the part of the CPU it will be able to execute the Sound of the PS3, the rest should be emulated.

But as I say it is pure speculation.

Neo Blaster

I understand this but the question for Sony is are the masses ready to go all digital? Including those who currently aren't and have physical games that they'll have to get rid of?

For me a digital console appeals to those who are already close to being 100% digital today and more likely pay more for a console, not less.
Are the masses willing to loose buying options for a cheaper console? That's the million dollar question and we'll only know the answer on the holidays, if that price is confirmed of course.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are the masses willing to loose buying options for a cheaper console? That's the million dollar question and we'll only know the answer on the holidays, if that price is confirmed of course.

Not me I will never support an all digital future.

I buy sports titles every year and I dont care if I get $5 back its the idea to me of just not getting anything back on a digital purchase.

Plus when I play a single player game and beat it I never return to that game.

I will trade TLOU2 back in within a week or two of playing through it and someone else can get it even if its 2 dollars cheaper.

Plus I dont know how many used games I have bought over the years on disk.

zaitsu

Banned

I buy sports titles every year and I dont care if I get $5 back its the idea to me of just not getting anything back on a digital purchase.

I will trade TLOU2 back in within a week or two of playing through it and someone else can get it even if its 2 dollars cheaper.

Exactly

Dodkrake

Banned

I collect special editions, so I stick with Physical.

It was always a 'all or nothing' situation to me, either a publisher will offer free upgrades for both platforms, or no one gets it. MS just saw a PR opportunity.

Did Sony really have something that would stop something like this?

That's the question I asked many people when the debate over Smart Delivery started.

I do agree that Microsoft talked about it because its seen as a consumer friendly policy and it's a selling point.

Just a little weird that Sony didn't say that they have similar policies in place. I guess it's because they are saving the announcement for other events.

I have two Launch PS4's so I can share some multiplayer games with family . WIth the PS5 I can see getting one Disk and one DE ( if the difference was $100) If the difference was $50 I'd likely get two disk versions. In either case it depends what the final price of the PS5 is, I still may wait a couple years this gen then jump in the PS5 and be able to snatch up a library of cheap AAA games to hold me over. I still have a backlog of PS4 games whiich will keep me busy for a while.

I'm sure some will if the price is low enough and the games too tempting but for me the downsides are too many and though it wouldn't bother me, paying $100 more for a disc drive would be a kick in the teeth if I was on a tighter budget.

I admit I'm old school and like my collections of CD's, BD's, Games etc. Just in the last few years even vinyl has made a comeback!

Saying all this it could be the PS5 DE is the same price as the disc version but comes with a years PS+?

Dodkrake

Banned
Assuming Sony is willing to use part of their warchest, would it be so asinine to think that they may go 300 / 400quid on the console and take a massive 200 to 150 loss for the first year?

if they sell 20M in the first year, would they be willing to lose 2 to 4B on console sales?

DaGwaphics

Did Sony really have something that would stop something like this?

That's the question I asked many people when the debate over Smart Delivery started.

I do agree that Microsoft talked about it because its seen as a consumer friendly policy and it's a selling point.

Just a little weird that Sony didn't say that they have similar policies in place. I guess it's because they are saving the announcement for other events.

Smart Delivery probably entails more than just these basic patches, could cover areas that Sony doesn't need to cover, etc. Also, Sony can just call the feature something different. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The retail space for both these ecosystems will probably look a bit different from each other in Nov. Smart Delivery could come into play more then.

Last edited:

DrDamn

They have a marketing deal with MS, it would be really strange for them to announce their release date along with PS5 and not XSX. Either both would launch on that date or neither.

I'm not saying that it sounds like the launches are aligned, it's more that the wording made it sound like the PS5 would already have launched by the time the game does. I.e. It's not clear which "launch day" they are referring to, the PS5 or the game. It's very likely it's the PS5 they are talking about though, so game comes out and is playable on nextgen machines when they come out.

Smart Delivery probably entails more than just these basic patches, could cover areas that Sony doesn't need to cover, etc. Also, Sony can just call the feature something different. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The retail space for both these ecosystems will probably look a bit different from each other in Nov. Smart Delivery could come into play more than.

If anything I think the cloud saves is probably the most important exclusive feature of Smart Delivery. But then again Sony could always just announce it in the future.

But I guess the most important thing is that PS4 games can be upgraded to the PS5 version. That's something that some people worried about.

I really hope Sony gives TLOU2 and Ghost owners free PS5 upgrades.

Imagine thiking that the Series S was a good idea and then being outsmarted by Sony once again :messenger_tears_of_joy:
imagine being a big man but a console warrior loser
francis.png

Knock it off you two.

Last edited:
Thats good idea if you really want to sell digital edition because in long run it would made a lot more money. LOST $100 on console, make 10xmore selling overpriced digital games which cannot be sold or exchanged. Heads talking about $100 being too big difference shouldnt have any business.

It's really great seeing so many of you embracing Don Mattrick's vision 😘 for a discless future.

Assuming Sony is willing to use part of their warchest, would it be so asinine to think that they may go 300 / 400quid on the console and take a massive 200 to 150 loss for the first year?

if they sell 20M in the first year, would they be willing to lose 2 to 4B on console sales?

Nobody is willing to lose $150-$200 per consoles for the obvious losses. Even PS3 cost $665 to make so 'only' a gross ~$100 loss including distro/retail cut in the US. The EU/UK then subsidised even that smaller loss for 6 months at €499/€599/£425. PS5 BOM is rumoured/estimated to be ~$450 so talk of $500+ or £450+ I've heard people throwing around seem way over the top.

Basically the losses and retail pricing are being exaggerated IMO. Or Sony and Microsoft are going for very nice profits from the get go.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Nobody is willing to lose $150-$200 per consoles for the obvious losses. Even PS3 cost $665 to make so 'only' a gross ~$100 loss including distro/retail cut in the US. The EU/UK then subsidised even that smaller loss for 6 months at €499/€599/£425. PS5 BOM is rumoured/estimated to be ~$450 so talk of $500+ or £450+ I've heard people throwing around seem way over the top.

Basically the losses and retail pricing are being exaggerated IMO. Or Sony and Microsoft are going for very nice profits from the get go.

Thanks. Well, The loss could be smaller, but if the PS5 was to cost 300/400 it would definitely kill the Xbox

geordiemp

Their is BOM + assembly + test + packing + shipping + retailer margin +VAT + Overhead recovery + margin

I think BOM estimates are way off reality of real life, hell if retailers get 15 % alone that throws all loss estimates out of the window

Last edited:

ToadMan

I'm by no means an expert but how I understand is that BCn (Block Compression 1-7) are native GPU formats that can be used directly by the GPU and which have lossy compression. The compression is done by describing 4x4 pixel blocks with a fixed byte size utilising line segment pallets for each block.

The resulting data happens to compress way better than native lossless image formats due to the block structuring. Zlib and Kraken are lossless generic compression techniques that allow the BCn format textures to be further decreased in size on disk. Xbox uses Zlib and PS can use either Zlib or Kraken.

So the advantage is that texture data in BCn or block compressed format actually compresses better than other image formats. Xbox BCPack (literally Block Compression Pack) is most likely a proprietary piece of software for BCn compression. Playstation has opted to license Oodle Texture which I think is actually very similar.

So unless you have some new information that shows BCPack does more than BCn format compression, they are actually the same thing. (I know MS said that they included some hardware texture filters but I feel like those are only good for when textures cannot be loaded in time which I don't think is a problem the PS5 has)

I think there is a subtle difference.

Oodle Texture is a tool to configure textures such that they compress more efficiently with kraken.

From what I heard about bcpack - that is a compress/decompress algorithm so it needs to run on the target hardware (Xbox).

Oodle texture is a tool used at develop time.... it a compression preprocess step.

Maybe that’s what your text meant - it wasn’t quite clear.

Audiophile

Would be cool if at launch, they provided a toggle for unlocking the framerate (with a 60fps cap) and if they have it: a toggle for unlocking a dynamic res scale. So that until we get a full upgrade, we at least get some inherent bumps from the IPC/Clock advantage on PS5. Assuming of course it runs in full BC mode and doesn't need to fall back on Base/Pro profiles as a result of logic being tied to clocks.

For eg.

"Next-Gen Forward Compatibility" toggles sub-menu:

- [Unlock Frame Rate]
-- [VRR Mode with Variable Refresh Rate up to 120fps] or [Locked Mode Capped at 60fps]

- [Unlock/Enable Dynamic Resolution]

- [Prioritise Resolution] or [Prioritise Performance]

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

The retail space for both these ecosystems will probably look a bit different from each other in Nov. Smart Delivery could come into play more then.
They could call it Crossbuy Plus....

No, even better, Crossbuy Ultimate.

Last edited:
Their is BOM + assembly + test + packing + shipping + retailer margin +VAT + Overhead recovery + margin

I think BOM estimates are way off reality of real life, hell if retailers get 15 % alone that throws all loss estimates out of the window
Retailers do not get 15%.

When the PS4/XBO launched, GameStop and Best Buy saw about $5-7 profits each console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If anything I think the cloud saves is probably the most important exclusive feature of Smart Delivery. But then again Sony could always just announce it in the future.

But I guess the most important thing is that PS4 games can be upgraded to the PS5 version. That's something that some people worried about.

I really hope Sony gives TLOU2 and Ghost owners free PS5 upgrades.

Knock it off you two.

Sony does have cloud cross save for Cross Buy games. I use it all the time for them, mainly RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom