• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Marvel logo on playstation site
wfeV77J.png

WB and other major cinema figures should look at Sony's success and consider more exclusives that will drive their IP's even higher instead of constant flops in most migrated IP's to gaming. Although Sony here owns Spider-man's license in both cinema production and gaming. Sony was behind the reborn of Spider-man IP.

THE:MILKMAN

If you can go by that FotoForensics the edges dont match.

But maybe he knows something others dont.

The image was posted on Discord and the verified poster says if we think outside the box we could figure out where and how the person that posted it got a hold of it. How I haven't a clue....Unless he is suggesting these internal images are shared by heads of hardware on a public Discord?

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watching Coreteks latest video? He's speculating that the upcoming Big Navi GPU will have a "stacked 3D" design to accommodate the NAND and that this will be one of the biggest features on their upcoming flagship GPU. He also speculated that this is why we have not seen the PS5's APU because AMD does not want this feature revealed yet. This is all just speculation from Coreteks but it's based on a few good guesses and if I remember correctly wasn't there a comment from Tim Sweeney that "PS5 brings data closer to where it's needed", here is the time-stamped link although I do recommend watching the whole video.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Im on a cooking break from TLOU2. But I don't think they can.Anytime soon. Those 52 CU's are not cheap. I think they have already committed to 4TF device.That was always their plan. All the Xbox "insiders" were talking about lockhart being 4TF from January. Talking about hitting Playstation with 2 price points. Scaling games up & down the hardware rubbish.

I think xbox knew another PS box was coming. But I don't think they saw another 10TF box coming or being shown at the event.

I think they really settled for 4TF box. There was suppose to be a june event about "xboxing" its was supposed to be "lockhart"/Series S reveal. But after that PS5 event. Where's the xbox show. Even after Greenberg was saying June event will happen. Wheres the show??

I think that PS5 DE did damage. We would of seen the lockhart by now. Its looking like the 52 Cu's came at a heavy cost.

Imagine saving $100 to get an extremely inferior SKU. MS should scrap Lockhart, for gaming sake.

TLOU2 is a wonderful game! Insane! Played like 6 hours so far, having a complete blast. Chose the Survivor difficulty and it's harder than real life to get bullets and resources which is ridiculous, changed the resources to moderate difficulty which makes way more sense. Imagine playing through barely using guns, even against armed enemies, then killing up to 5-6 armed enemies and you don't get a single bullet out of them! Before changing the difficulty down to moderate for resources I had many guns and didn't use any and killed a lot with a knife or bare-handed!

So yes, that's not realistic, that's trolling. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Minor problem is it's not giving me surround 7.1/5.1 channel sound, only 2.0 channel although I'm using PS4-certified Astro A40 with the mixer through optical audio. The gore is serious, and I like it, won't spoil even the simplest things, and don't waste your time by waiting for reviews or like playing it on PS5 as you're missing a lot of fun!

gXMT3NvriqiKAPoapwZZ9h.jpg

People waiting to play it on PS5 are really wasting their time! Go grab it now! I think 99% this is 2020 GOTY.

This my second TLOU2 break. Just got some fresh air & a take away. Im playing on survival mode. They should really name it Patient Stealth mode. I have had 2-3 bullets for hours now lol. No point even shooting. Its challenging but I am a hack n slash & a stealth fan. So its fine. Balanced is probably the better choice. (people are saying there's no trophy for any mode completion anyway) The way Im watching & waiting on AI patterns.Actually waste time. I don't mind Its that metal gear solid fangirl in me. (Im expecting a remake in the August show. Let me dream)

Don't want to spoil but lets just say AI will fuck up your sneak attack. Im not a zombie fan so very happy there's more human combat. But overall its a good game. On the "technical dev level" ND are last out of the Sony studios IMO. All of the studios stepped into open/bigger world this gen. And they all do it better then ND. TLOU2 is illusional open world. The visuals against the other PS Studio its great ,but they maybe last place. There's a reason why Ghost is the last game out and hailed for its nature/beauty. I'll just say ND strength is story/movie game/directing. They haven't fixed the random enemy pop in since uncharted. I have been jumped numerous times because of the random enemy pop in. The areas are all clear ,there's no sound ,next thing Im surrounded & jumped like wtf. But still enjoying it. ND are the best at blending that movie game feel. You definitely feel immersed.Its an 8/10. (10/10 review scores are bullshit.)

Well, if that’s accurate then that would explain why Lockhart hasn’t been mentioned. Even though the release is suppose to be soon.

I assume here that MS would’ve gotten wind of the DE model at least a month before the public.

To be honest the Lockhart strategy never made any sense to me - it would just confuse purchasers and water down the impact of Xsex even more than the cross platform game line up is already.

Maybe if MS are worried by the DE they’ll just trash Lockhart or remodel it to an x1x slim next year. Running yes. What hadn’t been confirmed until now was that games would get improved performance without additional dev work.

I don't think they caught wind of PS5 10TF DE model. I think they caught wind of another PS5 model. Nobody saw this 10TF DE device coming.Even after being shown people assumed it was weaker until the exec said its the same specs just disc less. I understand their being a cheaper xbox model. I never understood why 4TF after hyping up 12TF & the power talk. 12 to 4 is a big drop.But again they are following the traditional PC status quo. PS are changing tech paradigms ,and want no compromises in the next gen development.

This lockhart rumour has been out by Xbox "insiders" since January. I think Xbox already signed & ordered for those chips. Xbox "insiders" been talking this up for a good while now. Continually saying it was real. To me its more like PS knew & got infront of xbox & whats made it worse because their "likely'"cheaper model is not weaker. This going to undermine lockharts pricing. Im not getting into numbers but it might be a hard sell at 299. To me looks like nobody including Xbox saw the a cheaper model being the same specs as the main console.

To me Xbox are running. Said it many times. Xbox are displaying suspect behaviour. I judge people by their actions. Xbox talked a big game, Talked about Next gen , Most powerful ,but immediately talked about running old gen games better. WTF?? Talked a big game and showed games with "representative of XSX". The facts were that the trailers of "new games" were running on other hardware. That is suspect behaviour. Every alarm bell ringing Why all this smoke and mirrors. Just show XSX stuff. What makes this even more suspect.This is a company that always publicly gloat when they have something great. This is beyond running. Why is there smoke screen and mirrors production all the time?

I have never bought xbox ever. Main thing is I just really hope,F**king really hope they make their fans happy. 12 TF cant do it. I hope this xbox shows makes them happy. Just to stop the FUD & to bring peace & good tech talks.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watching Coreteks latest video? He's speculating that the upcoming Big Navi GPU will have a "stacked 3D" design to accommodate the NAND and that this will be one of the biggest features on their upcoming flagship GPU. He also speculated that this is why we have not seen the PS5's APU because AMD does not want this feature revealed yet. This is all just speculation from Coreteks but it's based on a few good guesses and if I remember correctly wasn't there a comment from Tim Sweeney that "PS5 brings data closer to where it's needed", here is the time-stamped link although I do recommend watching the whole video.

I remember something about PS5 having a 3D stacked design being discussed quiet a bit on this thread and this was a few months ago, I'm not as knowledgable as many of you but perhaps some of you guys can offer a better insight into this potential feature.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Be wary of the leaked PS5 pic, there is no source for that pic other than a certain Discord which is infamous for spreading FUD about the machine.

Grain of salt and all that.
Interesting that the front of the console wasn't shown either and if that was the case it would have been much harder to photoshop as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Too much talk about size, and the photo looks legit to me and pretty natural and ok and you can pick your PS4 now and measure it by looking at yourself on the mirror.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-07-at-3.43.53-PM.png

You can easily place it horizontally, that's how the majority of people will use it. The console looks wonderful but I don't care about how it looks, I'm only interested about the best games offered. And Sony was so generous with 9 first party games announcements so far, and more to come!

ps5-games.jpg

Gotta go now to enjoy TLOU2!

Last edited:

icerock

Interesting that the front of the console wasn't shown either and if that was the case it would have been much harder to photoshop as well.

Indeed.

Wait....It was from the Xbox Discord!?

It was posted by one of the biggest fanbois who also happens to be a very active member on that Discord. So yeah, don't look too much into it. The reverse search brings in nothing either.

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
No one knows who he is or agrees with him

The amount of likes he received posting things like that (on said thread) shows otherwise.
So, stop the bs. You only speak for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
I think its fake the image doesnt even match.

I’m no expert but it is all write so it should looks like that in the pic and give the impression to be fuzzy.

And:

Edit - This guy explained better than me... I’m not used to image tools.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I remember something about PS5 having a 3D stacked design being discussed quiet a bit on this thread and this was a few months ago, I'm not as knowledgable as many of you but perhaps some of you guys can offer a better insight into this potential feature.
Sony already said gddr6. Unless I’m missing something I don’t see them using it. Also the bandwidth seems really low for stacked ram.

Edit: Are you saying the ssd is stacked? If so what happens to latency when using an add on ssd? Seems like it would be higher.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m no expert but it is all write so it should looks like that in the pic and give the impression to be fuzzy.

And:

Edit - This guy explained better than me... I’m not used to image tools.

That top picture in my link if you run your mouse over it the picture shows each one.

The edges of the console do not line up even the upper left where Playstation logo is just vanishes.

Even if the PS5 looks like that, what's the issue? It still looks good.

It’ll be easier justifying half a grand with the wife if it comes in a big fuck off box and has some presence about it. They’re all plastic toys to her, but a big premium looking white thing will do the trick nicely.
She couldn’t understand why I wanted to spend ¥44,980 on another PlayStation (PS4 Pro) when I already had one (PS4). She glazed over when I tried to explain graphics but kind of understood there was something to it when it had an extra layer to it and made the original look small.

Last generation moved to PC architecture, but kind of did it in a laptop kind of way. This generation is full on desktop tier components and clock speeds.

Both of these consoles are extremely small and decently powered gaming PCs.
One with a more PC like form-factor dictated by intelligent packaging around a single large axial fan. The other presumably using “a plurality” of smaller axial fans to try and stick with the “VCR” form factor when laying horizontally.

I hope both of these new machines are a huge hit and the living room and buyer can adapt to expect this kind of size in future generations.
It will make designing powerful and quiet consoles so much easier and cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at the size, I'm just surprised and suspicious at how easy it is to leak photos that look like they were taken officially.

Looks like it would be a picture circulated internally rather than for any marketing.

Also Sony were rumoured to be showing the console when they did to get ahead or any leaks as the console went to manufacturing.

You’re right to be suspicious, and I still am.
I’m not saying it’s real, but that I don’t see any good reason to doubt it.
I certainly don’t see it as evidence of any trolling about the size as it’s exactly what I was expecting in that regard.

Im on a cooking break from TLOU2. But I don't think they can.Anytime soon. Those 52 CU's are not cheap. I think they have already committed to 4TF device.That was always their plan. All the Xbox "insiders" were talking about lockhart being 4TF from January. Talking about hitting Playstation with 2 price points. Scaling games up & down the hardware rubbish.

I think xbox knew another PS box was coming. But I don't think they saw another 10TF box coming or being shown at the event.

I think they really settled for 4TF box. There was suppose to be a june event about "xboxing" its was supposed to be "lockhart"/Series S reveal. But after that PS5 event. Where's the xbox show. Even after Greenberg was saying June event will happen. Wheres the show??

I think that PS5 DE did damage. We would of seen the lockhart by now. Its looking like the 52 Cu's came at a heavy cost.
I am pretty sure that nobody at MS was really shocked to see 2 Sony's SKUs at launch.

Maybe for us, as consumer, we did not see it coming, but at the executive level that possibility is always on the table. That is their job, knowing and valuing what the competition could do.

If the Series S is a reality, this Sony's move is brillant. In the worst case scerario Sony could match the Series X price with the standard PS5 model and undercut as much as they want with the PS5 DE to make the Series S amost irrelevant if they feel that this low end SKU is a threat.

Right now, the only good option I see for MS is to price the Series X at $399. (if that happens, it would force Sony to sell the PS5 and PS5 DE at the same price offering a bundle or sometging like this).

My bet is that Sony will wait until MS reveals the price.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that nobody at MS was really shocked to see the 2 Sony's SKUs at launch.

Maybe for us, as consumer, we did not see it coming, but at the executive level that possibility is always on the table. That is their job, knowing and valuing what the competition could do.

If the Series S is a reality, this Sony's move is brillant. In the worst case scerario Sony could match the Series X price with the standard PS5 model and undercut as much as they want with the PS5 DE to make the Series S amost irrelevant if they feel that this low end SKU is a threat.

Right now, the only good option I see for MS is to price the Series X at $399. (if that happens, it would force to

My bet is that Sony will wait until MS reveals the price.

I can imagine Sony being quite daring on PS5 DE pricing as you say. They’re more valuable for them to have out in the wild, too. PlayStation makes its money on new games sold and online PS+ subscriptions.

The tightest person I know has a PS4 but rarely buys a game new and never at full price. He also sells them the instant he’s completed them, and only buys PS+ 3 months at a time in case we stop playing the game he joins us on.

Someone like that would never buy PS5 DE, and someone like that has had a console likely sold at a loss and has given more money to game shops selling already circulating game licences than he has to Sony and their developers.

I’ll be getting PS5 DE and my PS library is as bloated and backlogged as my Steam library.

I can imagine Sony being quite daring on PS5 DE pricing as you say. They’re more valuable for them to have out in the wild, too. PlayStation makes its money on new games sold and online PS+ subscriptions.

The tightest person I know has a PS4 but rarely buys a game new and never at full price. He also sells them the instant he’s completed them, and only buys PS+ 3 months at a time in case we stop playing the game he joins us on.

Someone like that would never buy PS5 DE, and someone like that has had a console likely sold at a loss and has given more money to game shops selling already circulating game licences than he has to Sony and their developers.

I’ll be getting PS5 DE and my PS library is as bloated and backlogged as my Steam library.
I have a couple of friends who only buy digital copies because they really hate to switch the disc. Lazyness has its price!

As you well pointed out, knowing the different spending profiles by copy type (hard or digital) is the key to this 2 SKUs operation. Sony will set up their loss margin on the PS5 DE on the basic of their expected ROI (Return of Invesment). A PS5 DE at $299 could still be very profitable in the long shot (not going to happen)

If they price the PS5 DE correctly I can see a lot of people shifting to full digital, not only because the form factor looks better (more symmetrical) but because it is more covenient too.

The only reason why I dislike to buy digital copies is because the PS4 library is a mess. They put everything in the same place; demos, purchases, free games and I lose the perception of collectionism.

Last edited:
Hmm I understand your point, I think we have to wait to see, but is like I said, for now The Streaming of Higher Assets, streaming of general data, the Ultra mode (which increases geometry and Polygons if I'm not wrong, what is not a problem for XSX and PS5, remember PS5 Billions of Polygons and triangles) and the loading is a problem for PC now.

The only thing I can see is PC with more FPS and Better RT, but I still have some doubts about it too. It's not about brute force but what you can do with data, which is PC largest weakness. And in that Linus video, he said PC could became lowest denominator, so now I'm curious.
Yeah maybe the current PC will have problem but I have an incredible respect for NVIDIA even when I hate how they use its position and raise the prices
they are very good in its business so I am sure its new gen of GPU in brute force (the high end cards) will be better that the consoles, probably have a couple
of issues with some specific games and for issues I mean some ridiculous requirements in order to reach ultra quality 4k 60fps.

But thing is even when I also play in my PC a lot, I am not share the opinion of many that the new gen of NVIDIA will be enough for a couple of reason:

-Any high end card will cost at least equals or more that a console (500 USD).
-The people who change of gpu each new gen is actually very few and even less buy a high end GPU
-The most common CPUs have now 4 cores (not even 8 threads) and this will change but will take time
-If the development became so easy in consoles I can one more studio doing ports only through brute force or even only releasing for consoles first
-The people will think that is SSD SATA is enough this will become a problem in the beginning

As is happens in other gens some PC gamers will migrate to consoles basically most of them people who had a budget or even medium PC because
the prices to try to play in 4k will become just too much.

Is possible we will see a couple of games in PS5/XSX which has as essential part of its design a bandwidth above 4 GB/s this kind of games is
possible will not be ported in in the beginning to PC because require to much work to redesign your engine.

I am sure in 4 years the new GPUs in PC will have a much power regarding RT, so much than that will became its main advantage in visual terms but
people who bought a monitor above 2k with high refresh will have a couple of hard years.

Note: OH my God how incredible looks TLoU2

Ptarmiganx2

Thats a big boy!!!
I refuse to believe its that big!
It’ll be easier justifying half a grand with the wife if it comes in a big fuck off box and has some presence about it. They’re all plastic toys to her, but a big premium looking white thing will do the trick nicely.
She couldn’t understand why I wanted to spend ¥44,980 on another PlayStation (PS4 Pro) when I already had one (PS4). She glazed over when I tried to explain graphics but kind of understood there was something to it when it had an extra layer to it and made the original look small.

Last generation moved to PC architecture, but kind of did it in a laptop kind of way. This generation is full on desktop tier components and clock speeds.

Both of these consoles are extremely small and decently powered gaming PCs.
One with a more PC like form-factor dictated by intelligent packaging around a single large axial fan. The other presumably using “a plurality” of smaller axial fans to try and stick with the “VCR” form factor when laying horizontally.

I hope both of these new machines are a huge hit and the living room and buyer can adapt to expect this kind of size in future generations.
It will make designing powerful and quiet consoles so much easier and cheaper.

Just put it in an even bigger box and have a buddy help you carry it through the door! Set the stage!

FeiRR

Banned
I mean, I guess that's true for pc on a technicality, in the same sense you can still buy music in vinyl. It exists, but it's not even close to being significant enough to be considered meaningful. And the other thing is, the digital discounts are so deep and so frequent i'm convinced the scales will keep tipping towards digital. Btw I'm not going to shed any tears for Gamestop once they go the way of Blockbuster.
- Vinyls sell more than CDs these days. They provide a hefty profit because of collectors.
- Not the whole world is slave to Gamestop. As a result, disc prices are much more attractive than digital, even discounted.

Here’s a quick comparison I made between the PS4 Pro and PS5. I tried to use their heads for scale since I didn’t have much else to go off.
6Q0eWA8.jpg

Yes, you're right. The smile is identical.

Even if the PS5 looks like that, what's the issue? It still looks good.
Boys like to measure. I couldn't care less. I have a 20 sqm room I can organize however I want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom