• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

And you came to read it :messenger_beaming:

We are bored waiting the next info.

hTSsU7D.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Man, I'm so confused about PS5, not sure what game is making me more excited! But Destruction AllStars is a major one!

I've been waiting for such car destruction physics! Mad Max was fun in that matter though, we only need unbranded cars!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Here it seems you can jump over another car to plant a bomb inside when you're on foot

giphy.gif

Every car has a sunroof, so maybe you can as well hijack the cars? As you can see that beetle is trying to shake that guy off the roof

giphy.gif

Seems more cars respawn in the arena to add more fun to the game, love how the characters get kicked out of the car when the car is smashed

giphy.gif

Just see how nasty that hit got that guy flying :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

giphy.gif

And finally, the goofy and laughable on foot fights:messenger_tears_of_joy:

giphy.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
Man, I'm so confused about PS5, not sure what game is making me more excited! But Destruction AllStars is a major one!

I've been waiting for such car destruction physics! Mad Max was fun in that matter though, we only need unbranded cars!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Here it seems you can jump over another car to plant a bomb inside when you're on foot

giphy.gif

Every car has a sunroof, so maybe you can as well hijack the cars? As you can see that beetle is trying to shake that guy off the roof

giphy.gif

Seems more cars respawn in the arena to add more fun to the game, love how the characters get kicked out of the car when the car is smashed

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The more I really look at it the more I'm liking the game. Looks like it'll be alot of mayhem and fun.

TLZ

Banned
Shit taste is usually a common thread with those who write such garbage.

Sometimes it feels these people just want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.
I actually honestly enjoyed the single player game for what it is. Yes some graphical physics (I don't know what they're called) were downgraded compared to 1 and 2, but it was still a fun game.

TLZ

Banned
PS4 doesn't play PS3 games
some of the PS3 models don't have backwards compat (which is the closest to an apples to apples comparison here)
x360 didn't play original xbox games
switch doesn't play wii u games
dreamcast didn't play saturn games
saturn didn't play mega drive/genesis games
gamecuge didn't play n64 games
etc.

Most importantly of all, a digital only console can't play any optical disks, which is the crux of the argument, and that should be obvious to even the most casual of players when he/she picks the "cheaper" version. Figuring out why it's cheaper comes before assumptions of playing old games in optical drives. This was never an issue in the past, why would it be now?
The 360 did play Xbox game discs. There's a long list of them. According to Wikipedia, 462 of them.

As for PS3 bc with PS2, all of them have software emulator BC with PS2.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm just responding to the guy saying later ones had no PS2 BC at all.
So this is untrue then?

quote: "Check the number of USB ports your fat PS3. All backwards compatible PS3s are "fat," but not all fat PS3s are backwards compatible. If you have a fat PS3, check the number of USB ports on the front of the PS3. If the PS3 has four USB ports, it is backwards compatible. If it has two USB ports, it cannot play PS2 discs. "

Can't independently confirm it as I have an original 60gb one with PS2 hardware inside.

Additionally: "
Look at the serial number. Find the sticker on the back of your PS3. The last digits will inform you as to whether you have full hardware backwards compatibility, or limited software emulation:
  • CECHAxx (60 GB) and CECHBxx (20 GB) - Full hardware backwards compatibility.
  • CECHCxx (60 GB) and CECHExx (80 GB) - Limited hardware emulation (These models do not contain the Emotion Engine, as it is instead emulated by the Cell processor). You may run into issues with some PS2 discs.
  • CECHGxx and above - These models are not backwards compatible."

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I wonder if It is actually a race with laps and a chequered flag or just a full out drive anywhere you want and smash!

Brudda26

Barakov

Someone mentioned ReCore just now. I decided to read up on the game to see what happened and why it wasn't too successful.

Well, here's one reason:

Holy moly, this alone shows why the PS5's tech is now so important. Imagine this was on a PS5, you die, and restart the section 1-2 seconds later.

This was improved in a patch but it still is a great example of why the SSD should be a game changer.

Someone mentioned ReCore just now. I decided to read up on the game to see what happened and why it wasn't too successful.

Well, here's one reason:

Holy moly, this alone shows why the PS5's tech is now so important. Imagine this was on a PS5, you die, and restart the section 1-2 seconds later.

Holy shit... tales less time to download and install the game from scratch :O

Last edited:

xacto

Well, here's one reason:

That's on the level of Bloodborne, pre-patch.... best idea Sony and Microsoft had was to get that SSD in there.

Sony

Nintendo

Well, here's one reason:

I don't think that says much. Given other examples availible on the platform, it could be a limitation/suboptimization of the ReCore code.
I do agree with you that in general loading speeds have been tedious past gen and HDD spaces have been eaten up by games duplicating data to increase loading speeds.
However, your given example doesn't show why the 'PS5 tech' specifically is important. SSD tech in general is important. Xbox Series X SSD speeds are no slouch either.
It's undeniable that PS5's SSD is much faster than SX's SSD. The overall advantage of PS5's SSD speeds are remair to be seen. We have seen an example with Ratchet and Clank, but we'll need more data.

nomad171

Neo Member
I cannot believe that I made it through the last several hundred pages and finally caught up... just to see that the sub will be closed soon. I almost caught up just on time for hype train, but then it took a detour and I lost it. Oh well, at least it will be easier to keep the pace now I guess :messenger_grinning:

Actually, I wanted to ask a question about the TVs which I have not seen being discussed in detail yet. Assuming both XSX and PS5 will use HDMI-VRR as a standard, what will be the benefit from it for fixed-FPS games? HDMI 2.1 TVs that are currently on the market have VRR range of 40-120 Hz, so 30fps games are out of equation completely. 60fps-locked games in theory will not show any difference with VRR on and off. Therefore, visible difference will happen only for FPS-unlocked games that can consistently push above 40fps? I tried to look in up for a while, but there are no consensus on this based on what I have found. Thanks in advance for your replies!

FeiRR

Banned

Well, here's one reason:

Is it a finished game? Looks like pre-alpha footage.

TLZ

Banned
So this is untrue then?

quote: "Check the number of USB ports your fat PS3. All backwards compatible PS3s are "fat," but not all fat PS3s are backwards compatible. If you have a fat PS3, check the number of USB ports on the front of the PS3. If the PS3 has four USB ports, it is backwards compatible. If it has two USB ports, it cannot play PS2 discs. "

Can't independently confirm it as I have an original 60gb one with PS2 hardware inside.

Additionally: "
Look at the serial number. Find the sticker on the back of your PS3. The last digits will inform you as to whether you have full hardware backwards compatibility, or limited software emulation:
  • CECHAxx (60 GB) and CECHBxx (20 GB) - Full hardware backwards compatibility.
  • CECHCxx (60 GB) and CECHExx (80 GB) - Limited hardware emulation (These models do not contain the Emotion Engine, as it is instead emulated by the Cell processor). You may run into issues with some PS2 discs.
  • CECHGxx and above - These models are not backwards compatible."
PS3s without hardware emulation all play PS2 games through software emulation. You can find the games as PS2 Classics in the PS3 PSN Store. This is a list of 336 PS2 Classics playable on those PS3s. According to the wiki, the list is incomplete, but that's still a good number of games.

On Demand

Banned
I was talking with my friend from CP red. He thinks that CP2077 is their best game made yet, but it cost them very much of health. Also he said that LOCKHART from what he knows is 100% real. And it isn't XSX digital edition.

If it’s not a less powerful digital console then what else could it be? Is it a portable? Don’t see how you can get 4TF from a handheld device though.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Even more confusing then.

Imagine Sony is the only one to have a digital console next gen.
What is so weird about that? A drive doesn't cost that much which means people can get a cheap Blu-ray drive and console at the same time. Then again if you want to create a cheap console for next gen gaming the more you can get rid off to lower the price and seriously undercut PS5, the better.

geordiemp

The thing about the digital only edition is will retailers play nicely ?

Gettinga retaileer to take a small margin on a new console is often done with the desire to sell the customer some games while they are in shop, or a bundle.

How would that work if the retailer cant sell any games with the digital console ?

The mystery deepends.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Gettinga retaileer to take a small margin on a new console is often done with the desire to sell the customer some games while they are in shop, or a bundle.

How would that work if the retailer cant sell any games with the digital console ?

The mystery deepends.

That will be one of those things retailers will stock very little and will be happy to order it for you but will not ever bend over backwards to have it on store shelves.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

The mystery deepends.
All they need is for Amazon to sell it (which they will) and a lot of others will follow. Traditional stores can still make money selling digital credit, Funko Pops. controllers, etc. If they don't like it, fuck 'em. I can't imagine many people enjoy going into GAME here in the UK or Gamestop in the USA to have the person at the counter try and up-sell fuckin disc insurance to them.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
What is so weird about that? A drive doesn't cost that much which means people can get a cheap Blu-ray drive and console at the same time. Then again if you want to create a cheap console for next gen gaming the more you can get rid off to lower the price and seriously undercut PS5, the better.

MS released the XB1 digital as a testing ground. Rumors pointed to Lockhart being a less powerful digital console. I would just find it funny if MS doesn’t release one and it’s Sony with the digital console next generation.

Yes drives are already cheap, but as you said when creating a value based console you might as well go all the way and save all you can.

Not a fan of digital consoles myself. I prefer the ownership of physical media.

DrDamn

you forgot about forza, forza horizon, halo, gears, halo wars, ori etc and left out some of the PS4 exclusives that Sony published that are not that impressive.

oh, and all of sony exclusives that you listed are very similar 3rd person games, can they release any other type of game that will be of any of interest to people that don’t like 3rd person adventures?

Sony did quite a lot of 3rd person adventure stuff this generation, but at the same there is a huge amount of variety and diversity in that list too. Setting, combat, tone and focus of the game etc are hugely varied. With modern gaming 3rd Person Adventure is really not great at defining a genre - it's a viewing perspective and loads of games are "adventures". To an extent Sony have been filling a gap in the market. Whilst the bigger AAA publishers sought out more and more ways to make GaaS titles Sony concentrated on single player AAA experiences. I would like to have seen more variety in certain areas - a JRPG or Western RPG from them would have been good, or something different in the shooter space (SOCOM/MAG) would have been good. I think they let studios have some freedom in what they wanted to do though, which is a good thing to an extent, but can as in this case end up with a set of games looking broadly similar in a superficial sense.

On MS side I thought they started the generation really strong in terms of variety - if you look at launch and first year there was loads of genre diversity and new IP they were supporting - sports (PowerStar Golf, Kinect Sports Rivals), 3rd person (Ryse, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive), Racing (Forza), Fighting (Killer Instinct), Sim (Zoo Tycoon), Puzzle/Platformer (Max), Sandbox (Project Spark), and Shite (LocoCycle). Fast forward to 2017 and there are three games of note - Halo Wars 2, Forza 7 and Super Lucky's Tale.

Coming out of this generation they are building again and it's looking promising. For me personally a really positive part of this is that they have many more studios they own, which indicates better long term support, they are not just buying in titles from others. The other positive part is that they look like they are supporting some big teams in doing something new for them or new IP. E.g. Playground games looks like they are doing a Fable title (not new IP but very new to the studio which can effectively be the same thing).

PS3s without hardware emulation all play PS2 games through software emulation. You can find the games as PS2 Classics in the PS3 PSN Store. This is a list of 336 PS2 Classics playable on those PS3s. According to the wiki, the list is incomplete, but that's still a good number of games.
Come on, that's clearly not what we were talking about. The whole discussion was about playing physical copies of the ps2 games :)

Tiago07

I am thinking the same thing, I am expect the disc version to cost $499-549 and the discless version to cost $399-499, but I can definitely see they doing a $100 spread between the two consoles just to drive people to all digital.
For me:

PS5 ------$499
PS5 DE -- $449
I dont expect a $100 reduction in price in DE, because I only see Sony doing that (making a PS5 Digital Edition) just to explore a new segment of market and offer a product for that, and a $50 cheaper PS5 will have a sucess too. At $449 PS5 DE still have a loss.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I am thinking the same thing, I am expect the disc version to cost $499-549 and the discless version to cost $399-499, but I can definitely see they doing a $100 spread between the two consoles just to drive people to all digital.
My bet is on $399(DE)/$499, best way to achieve that fast migration Jim Ryan mentioned previously. But I wonder if they will give another incentive for people to grab the more expensive version other than just being able to use discs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom