• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They talked about this during that DF video. It comes down to $8 that Sony would earn extra on digital games. This means that if PS5 DE would be $100 cheaper and the UHD drive only costs $20 they need to sell at least 10 games per PS5 DE consumers. That's a lot, but not impossible, it's just a high risk. So $50 difference seems more plausible. Then again they must also think about current economical landscape and the possibility of Lockhart so they might take that risk.
You're saying that printing disc, shipping, storing, cut to the retailer and sunken costs on not sold stock only adds up to circa 13% of the entire 60$ per new game? I'd like to see the maths on that one tbh. Not even mentioning the lost sales on used games and lending games to friends.

dr guildo

Hey guys I have somethings that I want to put in this thread.

I'm amazed with PS5 architecture, it seems it was made for extract all the power the CPU and GPU has. I remember Cerny saying the 36 CUs work in parallel, and that's why they go with it, and not with 48 CUs. We have Smartshift to run the CPU and GPU at continous boost mode, and the super SSD that allow us to render only what we see and better assets, textures and less loading times. And the Chiplet design too.

But I have some doubts, like the Ray Tracing. Apparently PS5 can render some Ray Tracing at 4K.

We know games that have this feature already.
Demon's Souls (Shadow RT), Rachet and Clanck (Reflections RT), SpiderMan (Reflections RT).
We don't know about Horizon yet and Project Athia.

So I was thinking, the PS5 can handle only one of RT possibilites ? Like if the Dev have to choose between Reflections over Shadows and so on.

If this is true, so probably Horizon if they have RT they will go to Global Illumination instead of other RT methods, because is a Open World game, but Global Illumination is heavy so they can only go to Reflections RT.

If I am right, I prefer to go with Reflections because our today techinices for Shadow and Global Illumination is so good, look to Lúmen in UE5, the God Of War Illumination too. But the Reflections is not so good today. The ND created a technique to compesate Ray Tracing in TLOU2 which is very good and can improved with PS5 hardware I think.

So What do you guys think ? Are we going to see RT in the major of NextGen Games in console ?
PS5 and XSX can only handle one type of RT in 4K real time ? They can offer a better RT for a less resolution mode ?
Is possible to render RT in very high Assets ?
Horizon and Athia will have RT ?
If the consoles can only use one type of RT, what RT do you guys prefers ?
Is possible to Devs makes games that some levels focus in one type of RT, to compesate the Full RT ?
Is the GI techniques in this gen so better that we don't have use RT in major things?

That's is all for now

I quite remember Cerny telling that after audio, GI was the less expensive thing in RT capabilities of PS5.

I'm amazed with PS5 architecture, it seems it was made for extract all the power the CPU and GPU has. I remember Cerny saying the 36 CUs work in parallel, and that's why they go with it, and not with 48 CUs. We have Smartshift to run the CPU and GPU at continous boost mode, and the super SSD that allow us to render only what we see and better assets, textures and less loading times. And the Chiplet design too.

But I have some doubts, like the Ray Tracing. Apparently PS5 can render some Ray Tracing at 4K.

Demon's Souls (Shadow RT), Rachet and Clanck (Reflections RT), SpiderMan (Reflections RT).

So I was thinking, the PS5 can handle only one of RT possibilites ? Like if the Dev have to choose between Reflections over Shadows and so on.

If this is true, so probably Horizon if they have RT they will go to Global Illumination instead of other RT methods, because is a Open World game, but Global Illumination is heavy so they can only go to Reflections RT.

If I am right, I prefer to go with Reflections because our today techinices for Shadow and Global Illumination is so good, look to Lúmen in UE5, the God Of War Illumination too. But the Reflections is not so good today. The ND created a technique to compesate Ray Tracing in TLOU2 which is very good and can improved with PS5 hardware I think.

So What do you guys think ? Are we going to see RT in the major of NextGen Games in console ?
PS5 and XSX can only handle one type of RT in 4K real time ? They can offer a better RT for a less resolution mode ?
Is possible to Devs makes games that some levels focus in one type of RT, to compesate the Full RT ?
Is the GI techniques in this gen so better that we don't have use RT in major things?

That's is all for now

The ray-tracing applications for even a single GPU that costs more than both XSX and PS5 will combined is still extremely limited.

We’ve also seen how good global
Illumination can be in real time without using hardware ray-tracing in UE5.

I’m really excited to see how it’s used for audio after seeing some examples of that done on nVidia RTX.

We’re a long long way from full per-pixel ray-tracing of entire game worlds.
Minecraft doesn’t count due to its voxel grid layout and ease of calculating what is culled for doing lighting calculations.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony Really Did a Fantastic Job of Implementing PS5 Around Revolutionized Storage, Says Tim Sweeney

Tim Sweeney:

It was three or four years ago at least when we started to talk with Mark Cerny about possibilities for the next-generation.

Sony really did a fantastic job of implementing a new platform around that realisation that storage could be revolutionised. PS5 is built not only on a huge body of flash memory, but also a very high bandwidth and low latency framework for accessing it, and for getting it to wherever you need for any type of work.

Nick Penwarden:

This is the major innovation with the next-generation of console hardware. They have faster CPUs, they have faster GPUs, and that was really important to be able to achieve the visuals that we showed. But the biggest change across console generations is absolutely going to be the I/O bandwidth that we're able to achieve with the SSDs that are in next-generation consoles.

Tim Sweeney:

It's a key unblocker for what Brian Karis and the team have built here [with Nanite]. Rendering micropolygons from a 20-billion polygon scene is hard enough. But actually being able to get that data into memory is a critical challenge.

And as a result of the years of discussions and efforts leading up to that, it was a perfect opportunity to partner with Sony to show that effort finally coming to fruition on the PS5 with pixels on the screen.

Brian Karis:

It's an analogue to a computer science sort of approach of virtual memory. The concept is that not all of the data you want to access needs to actually be in RAM, it can be in a much larger space where some of it is off on disk and only when you access things does it need bring it into memory and have that stuff be actually resident.

It's in the form of textures. It's actually like, what are the texels of that texture that are actually landing on pixels in your view? So it's in the frustum. It's stuff that you're actually seeing that's front-facing, it's stuff that is not occluded by something else.

It's a very accurate algorithm because when you're asking for it, it's requesting it. But because it's in that sort of paradigm, that means that as soon as you request it, we need to get that data in very quickly - there needs to be a very low latency between the ask and the receive or otherwise, you're going to see really bad pop-in.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You're saying that printing disc, shipping, storing, cut to the retailer and sunken costs on not sold stock only adds up to circa 13% of the entire 60$ per new game? I'd like to see the maths on that one tbh. Not even mentioning the lost sales on used games and lending games to friends.
DF is saying that, and I'm quoting them. Although I'm not sure how you arrived at 13%?

DF says that Sony as a platform holder now earns $8 more, and the split on digital games is 30/70 for platform/publisher. If a game costs $60, $18 goes to the platform and $42 to the publisher. But since they say the platform now earns $8 more that means that in retail it would only be $10. That's a 45% difference. If this difference is the same for publishers, they would go from $42 to $23.3. That leaves $26.7 for shipping, storing, packaging, retailers (44.5%, not 13%).

icerock

So MS have shut down Mixer, and it seems like they are completely cutting their losses. Apparently, all big named streamers they signed in Shroud and Ninja got paid in FULL and are now free to stream elsewhere. Fair fucks to them for making bank but what a gigantic waste of investment from MS which could've been put elsewhere.

Really curious as to how they'll integrate streaming to next-gen consoles in conjunction with FB. I can already see continuous messages to have FB linked with Xbox Live.

Last edited:

Tiago07

The ray-tracing applications for even a single GPU that costs more than both XSX and PS5 will combined is still extremely limited.

We’ve also seen how good global
Illumination can be in real time without using hardware ray-tracing in UE5.

I’m really excited to see how it’s used for audio after seeing some examples of that done on nVidia RTX.

We’re a long long way from full per-pixel ray-tracing of entire game worlds.
Minecraft doesn’t count due to its voxel grid layout and ease of calculating what is culled for doing lighting calculations.
Even Minecraft uses some kind of Rasterization because this technique is so good for blocks, so is not 100% Path Traced.

For audio, I think its possible to Tempest Engine alone handle the Ray Tracing Audio (and that's why I didn't mention it in my quote). Cerny said we need 1 million rays to render Audio Ray Tracing, and every Intersection Engine in RDNA2 it's possible to probably render more than 100 million rays (TE is a SPU RDNA2 based). Its only my thought because RTX 2080TI with 72 SMs have the power to do 10 gigarays/s which is 10 Billion Rays per sec. I think AMD solution is similar or even better (and we don't know yet how the Chiplet design and high clocks affect this system).

Neo Blaster

So MS have shut down Mixer, and it seems like they are completely cutting their losses. Apparently, all big named streamers they signed in Shroud and Ninja got paid in FULL and are now free to stream elsewhere. Fair fucks to them for making bank but what a gigantic waste of investment from MS which would've been put elsewhere.

Really curious as to how they'll integrate streaming to next-gen consoles in conjunction with FB. I can already see continuous messages to have FB linked with Xbox Live.

Now imagine those 50 million invested on a good game? What a waste of resources.

zaitsu

Banned
Sony Really Did a Fantastic Job of Implementing PS5 Around Revolutionized Storage, Says Tim Sweeney

Tim Sweeney:

It was three or four years ago at least when we started to talk with Mark Cerny about possibilities for the next-generation.

Sony really did a fantastic job of implementing a new platform around that realisation that storage could be revolutionised. PS5 is built not only on a huge body of flash memory, but also a very high bandwidth and low latency framework for accessing it, and for getting it to wherever you need for any type of work.

Nick Penwarden:

This is the major innovation with the next-generation of console hardware. They have faster CPUs, they have faster GPUs, and that was really important to be able to achieve the visuals that we showed. But the biggest change across console generations is absolutely going to be the I/O bandwidth that we're able to achieve with the SSDs that are in next-generation consoles.

Tim Sweeney:

It's a key unblocker for what Brian Karis and the team have built here [with Nanite]. Rendering micropolygons from a 20-billion polygon scene is hard enough. But actually being able to get that data into memory is a critical challenge.

And as a result of the years of discussions and efforts leading up to that, it was a perfect opportunity to partner with Sony to show that effort finally coming to fruition on the PS5 with pixels on the screen.

Brian Karis:

It's an analogue to a computer science sort of approach of virtual memory. The concept is that not all of the data you want to access needs to actually be in RAM, it can be in a much larger space where some of it is off on disk and only when you access things does it need bring it into memory and have that stuff be actually resident.

It's in the form of textures. It's actually like, what are the texels of that texture that are actually landing on pixels in your view? So it's in the frustum. It's stuff that you're actually seeing that's front-facing, it's stuff that is not occluded by something else.

It's a very accurate algorithm because when you're asking for it, it's requesting it. But because it's in that sort of paradigm, that means that as soon as you request it, we need to get that data in very quickly - there needs to be a very low latency between the ask and the receive or otherwise, you're going to see really bad pop-in.

" as soon as you request it, we need to get that data in very quickly - there needs to be a very low latency between the ask and the receive or otherwise, you're going to see really bad pop-in" so is XSX capable of doing it having at least two times worse SSD/IO solution ?

Barakov

Gold Member
So MS have shut down Mixer, and it seems like they are completely cutting their losses. Apparently, all big named streamers they signed in Shroud and Ninja got paid in FULL and are now free to stream elsewhere. Fair fucks to them for making bank but what a gigantic waste of investment from MS which would've been put elsewhere.

Really smart move on their part. Anything involving Facebook is poison so they're better off going elsewhere.

yewles1

That's is all for now
It's not really any different from what's on RTX 20-series right now. In fact, that should've been THEE indicator for what to expect out these consoles.

zaitsu

Banned
If Lockart has the same CPU/SSD as XSX, it would be a hard sell for a current gen vs a next gen for the same price.
Also MS abandoning june, my friend telling me being not sure about XSS losing drive. The whole idea of lockhart could been scrapped, or redesigned because PS5 DE could be to close in price. Also they have already bad history of pricing their ALL DIGITAL xbox one.

Corndog

Banned
Maybe the IO chip / co processors and SRAM is layered on the APU, as GDDR6 is not layered and they certainly wont put the hot NAND chips their............fun guess making the APU chip smaller, doubt it though.

My wild guess is the apu is cooled both sides from the sony patent but its mystery for sure.
Where in the patent does it show 2 heatsinks? I’m not saying it is impossible. I’m just saying I don’t remember the patent showing 2 sources of cooling.

Now imagine those 50 million invested on a good game? What a waste of resources.

Your numbers are off its way over that. Probably near 80-100mill+ if you add company debt. How much they paid for it + how much they pay the streamers over 10 mill each + debt + paying of employees. Its all shambles.

Last edited:

sehito

Neo Member
Tengo una pregunta sobre Oodle Texture, por ejemplo, Ratchet and Clank y los saltos de portal. Si el juego logra cargar el mundo en dos segundos en promedio, ¿podría cargar el mundo más rápido que dos segundos gracias a Oodle Texture?
Estoy usando un traductor, espero que se entienda

Last edited:

geordiemp

Where in the patent does it show 2 heatsinks? I’m not saying it is impossible. I’m just saying I don’t remember the patent showing 2 sources of cooling.

The patent shows colling from under the GPU and other stacked dies on top of the APU. Indeed.

In the text near the end it says that cooling can be above and below APU....and the stacked die can be another heatsink....

You have to read it ....tucked away in the small print. Go look yourself, I am not your errand boy :messenger_beaming:

Some have made mock ups already,. I dont agree with the fan design below there is no intake for it, the dual heat sink is possible though IMO.

D8EuU6J.jpg

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Tengo una pregunta sobre Oodle Texture, por ejemplo, Ratchet and Clank y los saltos de portal. Si el juego logra cargar el mundo en dos segundos en promedio, ¿podría cargar el mundo más rápido que dos segundos gracias a Oodle Texture?
Estoy usando un traductor, espero que se entienda

It might be disorienting to the player. I think you need that transition time.

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member

Tim Sweeney:

Nick Penwarden:

Tim Sweeney:

From the latest edition of EDGE magazine

I need a facepalm emote.

🙈

Offtopic but I'm going to avoid everything that relates to facebook. Deleted my FB and Instagram accounts already this year and also moving away from whatsapp currently. I don't wanna have anything to do with a company that has sich huge effects on our social life and not doing anything to stop politicians to misuse this power. This reminds me to much of the 1984 novel.

Like ready at dawn also like the progress occulus is making in VR tech but just can't use anything from fb in good conscious

Last edited:

xacto

Offtopic but I'm going to avoid everything that relates to facebook. Deleted my FB and Instagram accounts already this year and also moving away from whatsapp currently. I don't wanna have anything to do with a company that has sich huge effects on our social life and not doing anything to stop politicians to misuse this power. This reminds me to much of the 1984 novel.

Like ready at dawn also like the progress occulus is making in VR tech but just can't use anything from fb in good conscious

I couldn't agree more, this pest that is Facebook needs to disappear once and for all, everything they touch is tainted.

splattered

Is this where Microsoft starts partnering more with Facebook? Selling Mixer to Facebook and maybe picking up Oculus VR for the Xsx? I've posted about it in other threads... maybe Xbox gains access to the next Ready at Dawn game this way :p

DF is saying that, and I'm quoting them. Although I'm not sure how you arrived at 13%?

DF says that Sony as a platform holder now earns $8 more, and the split on digital games is 30/70 for platform/publisher. If a game costs $60, $18 goes to the platform and $42 to the publisher. But since they say the platform now earns $8 more that means that in retail it would only be $10. That's a 45% difference. If this difference is the same for publishers, they would go from $42 to $23.3. That leaves $26.7 for shipping, storing, packaging, retailers (44.5%, not 13%).

Well, (8x100)/60 = 13.33(3)%, that's how :)

I'm literally saying out of $60, 13% being the sum costs of selling that software is insane, especially when you add all those I described (i.e. printing, disc, shipping, storing, cut to the retailer). And I even didn't add VAT, so please insert that one somewhere in the equation. And before you say VAT is paid separately, that may be the case in the US, but at the very least in Europe it's part of the price, not a side thing.

Lordani66

Banned
Its clear they have no knowledge of the cooling solution or ps5 design and not any other technical inputs other than its bigger than XSX and they did not know why :messenger_beaming: . DF should stick to analysing videos for graphics.

Does anyone need to tell DF a 20 % extra GPU clock might have something to do with the design, nah, cant be.

Cerny did say the CPU at 3.5 and GPU at 2.23 GHz were similar in heat dissipation requirements, couple that with the Sony double sided APU cooling patent and at least have a guess at the cooling .

DF must of heard some other RDNA2 clocks by now, power curve knee discission possibly. Instead we got nothing.

Their comments on price were just made up and no more informed than any poster on GAF.

The 8$ is sonys extra cut from 3rd party sale on ps5 store, what about sony first party games....Sony get all the money. So DF were wrong on that, one first party game digital vs retail and compute that one.

Poor video.
Digital Fraudry doing bad job. Imagine my surprise.

nomad171

Neo Member
Thanks for all the likes, mate, and for TV's, here are some points:

- Motion processing (pretty critical and overlooked by many, most OLED's suffer badly at 24-30fps). Sony is known for its motion processing power, while Samsung is great as well but have soap opera effect.
- Input lag. (LG C9 probably one of the most performant out there)
- HDR performance. (OLED's have gray-ish whites at some points and lack enough brightness, but overall they're very good for most people. LCD's still are better here, but have problems with blacks)
- Upscaling performance. (most TV's are good now for that)
- Color accuracy and not crushing details, Sony's is the best here as well even if it's LCD vs OLED.

Just a brief summary.
Haha that likes were well deserved, some of your comments are pure gold (no pun intended, but that gold rush was really something. How's your credit card by the way? :messenger_beaming:).

About the TVs - thanks a lot for this summary. I've already made my mind a while ago and got the C9, which is my first 4k TV, and I am still impressed how good it is (BTW motion processing for 24fps movies is really not so good out of the box, but it is possible to tweak it in settings to achieve good results).

What I was asking specifically is the VRR application for HDMI 2.1. It is interesting for me how consoles would have this utilised when most of console games have locked FPS and hence should not benefit from it.

On a side note about the TVs, I wonder which sets were used for upcoming next-gen games testing, especially for that alledged 4k/120 games of XSX (which anyway would require full 2.1 bandwidth). It is interesting if both companies would have "certified" panels that would have all features working properly (ALLM, VRR, QFT, 4k/120, full bit depth and chromaticity, plus any other possible setting that can be there for video output.)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The Order: 1886 has massive potential, it's a sad it went this way. But Sony already has enough studios, I guess, maybe enlarging the same studios in hand into more teams and working in more games would be beneficial.

Still the best graphics this gen had, and one of the best gun sounds and effects. Pretty solid gameplay except the repetitive fights against the wolf-men?

The-Order_-1886_20190611214645.png

Sadly, it didn't get a PS4 Pro patch. Is it a British studio? I see many UK-based studios being shutdown by Sony, probably something has to do with taxes and regulations?

Sorry for double quoting but I was really confused by the assumptions made. So now apparently this $8 figure only applies to 3rd party games? And you're saying in a 3rd party published game, Sony would make extra $8 per copy. If your 30/70 split is accurate, that means nearly half of the price you're paying for this game goes to pretty much fuck all. The guys that should be making this money (publishers, devs, platform holders) split nearly 50% of the money you pay, all the rest goes for trash that is absolutely redundant when the same game can be purchased online.

Well if anyone needed an extra reason to go fully digital, here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom