• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

roops67

47g1tz.jpg
Unless he's already in the toilet with you.

8ga5K19.jpg
THIS!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
THIS was waay too funny on many levels it deserved a second airing!
You guys kill me, literally! I've been laughing so hard at these I think I've ripped my gut, it still hurts bad and what makes it worse is everytime I glance above it starts all over again!!!
This could very well be a contender for that super secret joke used to combat the Nazis in the 2nd world war, they die laughing reading it :messenger_beaming:
You two are Gifted GIFfers, Kings of ComeBacks! I just felt it had to be said tho it's already known :messenger_horns:
And that's actually Mr.Bean sitting behind Bo :lollipop_raising_hand:

Edit: and to give it context, not to forget who Bo had originally replied to:
1. Use the new pulse 3D headset
2. Use remoteplay on your tablet
3. Sit on the toilet
4. Start playing Silent Hills

Thank me later!

Last edited:
THIS!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
You guys kill me, literally! I've been laughing so hard at these I think I've ripped my gut, it still hurts bad and what makes it worse is everytime I glance above it starts all over again!!!
This could very well be a contender for that super secret joke used to combat the Nazis in the 2nd world war, they die laughing reading it :messenger_beaming:
You two are Gifted GIFfers, Kings of ComeBacks! I just felt it had to be said tho it's already known :messenger_horns:

To be honest I would think that anyone would be terrified if Pyramid head handed them a roll of TP in the bathroom this way.

:LOL:

I'm honestly having alot of fun making these things. Expect more in the future cause we need some humor in our lives in these dark times.

Last edited:

raul3d

Yea, ok, sure. Yup, 2.23 > 1.8 and absolutely nothing at all has any bearing on that. Nope. Nothing! Clock speed is everything!

And just so everyone knows, yes, variable performance is objectively worse than fixed performance.

Fixed performance, a dev can know, every single frame, how much they can compute. Optimisation is relatively easy.

Variable performance they cannot. They don't know how much the GPU can perform, they don't know how much the CPU can perform. If they wan't consistent game performance, they will need to leave more headroom for those swings in performance. And as we know from Sony themselves, if they want to have that performance locked, the delta between the 2 consoles will only get wider.
What is fixed and variable performance? The discussion was always about fixed or variable frequencies and that is something completely different. Yes, the PS5 has a variable frequency, but it is deterministic for a given program. And even on your fixed frequency XSX you have stuff that affects your runtime performance in an unknown way: cache misses, branch miss-prediction, synchronization points, shared resources between threads; just to name a few. This all results in variable performance even with the XSX's fixed frequency and none of these points are any worse on the PS5. You optimize your code for faster execution. Why do you think that should be harder on the PS5? I don't think it is in any meaningful way.

And a higher variable frequency is obviously better than a lower fixed frequency that was calculated with a conservative headroom for the worst case scenarios. If you don't run your worst case code, which you obviously don't do a lot, then you are not running with the frequency you could and thus not with the performance you could. If you disagree with that, which of the reasons Cerne mentioned for variable frequencies do you think are incorrect?

Last edited:

So a little distraction with an upcoming banger of a game that is GoT. Only on PlayStation 4 :D

This game was pre-ordered the second the release date was announced in that epic cinematic trailer.
This game is me all over. 1000% going for the platinum. This my most anticipated game. And unlike TLOU2 its actually going to be a fun game to replay because its not linear exp.

Im ready to auto download now. Just have to wait till next week.

aclar00

Last time it was AAA and considered the best PSVR game to many, not sure how big this one is but has 4 realms. Still, it's a free game on every PS5, what's not to like ;) 2 free games so far seems like a good deal, although if you give me GTA Online for free and pay me $60 every month to play it I won't do it!

That was Astro Bot though. There is also a "Playroom" in PS4 that features tge character, but its more of a mini showcase/ demo. I wouldn't quite put itnin the full game category. The new playroom could be more of a game, but i doubt it. Its probably in line with the original...it will showcase some of the features of the controller audio and maybe SSD.

VR Playroom was fuller, but still just a showcase in my opinion. Time will tell.

Fordino

Apologies if everyone is tired of the PS5 variable clocks discussion, I just wanna quickly chime in with my understanding of it.

The devkit profiles are there to just help developers optimise code. Fixing the CPU or GPU will help them find areas of the code they can improve, by being able to see a comparable execution time of the code each time they run it.

Without the use of profiles optimisation would be very difficult, as the same code would have different execution times based on the (variable) frequency chosen by the PS5 at that time.

The profiles aren't used for testing the game, that would be pointless as it would limit the CPU or GPU, which won't happen normally on a PS5.

I'm not a games developer but I develop iPhone apps. When using profiling tools in Xcode I can see (for example) the duration of functions, and If needed I can spend time optimising the code to bring those times down. If iPhones ran at variable frequencies I'd need to be able to fix the frequency, during optimisation, to test/ensure any optimised code is indeed running quicker.

Isn't this simply what the PS5 devkit profiles are for, fixing the frequencies to help the developer reduce (optimise) code execution time, if needed?

I really can't see the variable clocks being a big deal during PS5 development. If a game with a 60fps target is sometimes dipping a bit, fix the CPU clock and optimise the code a bit, and do the same with the GPU, fix the clock and see where time can be saved.

Cerny has said that it's very unlikely that games will demand full 100% CPU and GPU usage at the same time, and if a game does require that, for short periods of time, the PS5 can handle it without downclocking anyway.

Vroadstar

What is fixed and variable performance? The discussion was always about fixed or variable frequencies and that is something completely different. Yes, the PS5 has a variable frequency, but it is deterministic for a given program. And even on your fixed frequency XSX you have stuff that affects your runtime performance in an unknown way: cache misses, branch miss-prediction, synchronization points, shared resources between threads; just to name a few. This all results in variable performance even with the XSX's fixed frequency and none of these points are any worse on the PS5. You optimize your code for faster execution. Why do you think that should be harder on the PS5? I don't think it is in any meaningful way.

And a higher variable frequency is obviously better than a lower fixed frequency that was calculated with a conservative headroom for the worst case scenarios. If you don't run your worst case code, which you obviously don't do a lot, then you are not running with the frequency you could and thus not with the performance you could. If you disagree with that, which of the reasons Cerne mentioned for variable frequencies do you think are incorrect?

Agree but armchair devs are like that, they pretend to know more than the actual system architect and the worst thing? doing it with the warrior thinking in mind, so it's double fail :messenger_winking: 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

roops67

... and all I'm thinking the artists formerly known as evolution-studio's talents are really getting wasted

Edit: In all honesty it looks like a really nice offroading racer, maybe has some elements of MotorStorm with the crashing etc. but it's not it's spiritual successor, this is way too tame!!
How I wished they skipped DriveClub, then MotorStorm would have lived on!
But hey there's always hope, Sony still owns the brand MotorStorm and they did hold onto some of the key developers (I think)
Maybe they skipped a whole generation cos the crazy amount of physics needed in the next gen MotorStorm couldn't be done... The PS4 JAGUAR CPU is less powerful than the PS3 CELL CPU , and even with the aid of GPGPU through the ACE's on the PS4 it still wasn't enough... I'm speculating, or talking shit :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Alex Scott

You can reiterate the same fundamentally wrong point all day long, it'll still be wrong.

Yes, that must be it, must be trolling. Can't just be refuting completely bogus attempts of making 10 > 12.

Precisely, it doesn't create magic power out of nothing.

It is doing nothing more than trading power from one component to another. That is it. It is not magically generating efficiency or tflops or anything of the sort. The XSX isn't using Smartshift because it doesn't need to.

I would love to know what ass you've pulled this bullshit FUD about the XSX apparently being incapable of supplying it's APU with sufficient amounts of power out of.

Go on, I'm waiting.
Teraflops are not a good metric of performance especially in gaming. Also you can't compare GPU's based on teraflop alone. Only thing teraflops tells the person is how much math can GPU perform. Teraflops are not a good indicator of performance.

There are things things that teraflops don't tell you. How fast the the gpu looks up texture, how are triangles are assigned to compute units. These have more impact on performance than higher teraflop. Also the most expensive things to do is accessing data not rendering i.e doing the math.

ALSO TERAFLOPS ARE METRIC IS GOOD FOR TELLING YOU NON-GRAPHIC WORKLOADS WHERE IT MAKES SENSE.

Shmunter

... and all I'm thinking the artists formerly known as evolution-studio's talents are really getting wasted

Edit: In all honesty it looks like a really nice offroading racer, maybe has some elements of MotorStorm with the crashing etc. but it's not it's spiritual successor, this is way too tame!!
How I wished they skipped DriveClub, then MotorStorm would have lived on!
But hey there's always hope, Sony still owns the brand MotorStorm and they did hold onto some of the key developers (I think)
Maybe they skipped a whole generation cos the crazy amount of physics needed in the next gen MotorStorm couldn't be done... The PS4 JAGUAR CPU is less powerful than the PS3 CELL CPU , and even with the aid of GPGPU through the ACE's on the PS4 it still wasn't enough... I'm speculating, or talking shit :messenger_beaming:

Yeah it’s really not the same. It leaves little impression, whereas I look at ps3 Motorstorm gameplay and I still feel impressed.

I find it hard to believe. In better times, MS, with all their money war chest, only showed interest in buying small studios, why would they shove a ton of money to acquire WB Studios in such a financially compromised year(pandemic, next gen release)?
Also remember all that hype about MS interested in buying EA... and CD Projekt, and Valve, and the Konami IPs and PUBG Corporation? it all ended being just a lot of rumors so I wouldn't be surprised if ends up being just that

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Edit: and to give it context, not to forget who Bo had originally replied to:

Glad you enjoyed, sir :lollipop_tears_of_joy: It's a good way to lighten the mood up around here:messenger_winking_tongue: The most laughed at thing I had was with BGs BGs being extremely polite with one guy asking stupid questions to the point that I read something like "I don't want to not reply to you so you think I don't respect you", it was too polite that made me crying for like 30-60 minutes then every time I check it again:lollipop_tears_of_joy: To the point my wife was thinking that I was going crazy, because I posted something similar to this meme when I read his post.

47lbfw.jpg

BGs is the most polite person I've seen in the forums, and during that time things were going crazy and hostile.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: His politeness didn't fit there.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Next-gen game upgrades should be free, Xbox tells developers

Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series Xversions as DLC, as an alternative to its free Smart Delivery scheme.

That’s according to publishing sources with knowledge of Microsoft‘s next-gen policies, who told VGC that companies working on cross-gen games have been encouraged to offer both current and next-gen versions at no additional cost, either via Smart Delivery or their own schemes such as EA’s Dual Entitlement.

However, developers and publishers who choose not to support Smart Delivery can still offer owners of current-gen games a discount on purchasing a second next-gen version of the game on the Microsoft Store. Theoretically, third-party publishers could also charge for physical game upgrades via their own schemes, such as via retailer promotions.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Those devs/tech savvies are dumb and need to come here and learn from the best.

Last edited:

SSfox

Next-gen game upgrades should be free, Xbox tells developers

Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series Xversions as DLC, as an alternative to its free Smart Delivery scheme.

That’s according to publishing sources with knowledge of Microsoft‘s next-gen policies, who told VGC that companies working on cross-gen games have been encouraged to offer both current and next-gen versions at no additional cost, either via Smart Delivery or their own schemes such as EA’s Dual Entitlement.

However, developers and publishers who choose not to support Smart Delivery can still offer owners of current-gen games a discount on purchasing a second next-gen version of the game on the Microsoft Store. Theoretically, third-party publishers could also charge for physical game upgrades via their own schemes, such as via retailer promotions.

Remedy and Rockstar:
YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

kensama

I don't understand why you Fordino Fordino and others answering SatansReverence SatansReverence
It's clear that he is a console warrior and one of the XBOX FUD gang follower.

can Mod of War Mod of War do something for this guy?

He is clearlly derailing the thread.

We know that Smartshift is not actually available.
Dell will be the first before end of the year to provide a laptop with this technology:

And apparently, he know better than Cerny who is the System Architect and a veteran developer in the industry that this technology will struggle developers, going at the opposite to what Cerny told at the road to PS5.
That's insane
Knowing fact that AMD himself saying this technology offer 14% more of performance:

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I don't understand why you Fordino Fordino and others answering SatansReverence SatansReverence
It's clear that he is a console warrior and one of the XBOX FUD gang follower.

can Mod of War Mod of War do something for this guy?

He is clearlly derailing the thread.

*checks thread title*

Nope, I don't see "sony only circlejerk" anywhere.

But of course, refuting bullshit is "trolling" and "derailing".

kensama

*checks thread title*

I know thread title but i also red all your comments and you are still deniying all the comment with proof that you are wrong.
Which bullshit?
You are the one here, trying spreading FUD and saying that's bullshit against the company (AMD) behind technology and the guy behind the conception of the PS5 (Cerny).
Why MS or Sony doesn't hire you to do the PS5 architecture?

My last message to you.
Will read answer and after ignore you.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Which bullshit?

You mean other than attempting to add the same performance boost 2 separate times to the same system?

The hilarious claim that 2.23ghz gpu is automatically better than a 1.8ghz absolutely regardless of any other factors?

The simple fact that the PS5s performance is variable that Sony themselves have admitted?

And congratulations, you can link to a marketing page for smartshift, perhaps you can try explaining to everyone how you can apply that 14% boost twice to the same system.

p.s Do quote me where I claimed "that this technology will struggle developers". Go on, I'm waiting.

FranXico

*checks thread title*

You are not the one refuting bullshit. Rather, others are pointlessly going in circles refuting yours, while you refuse to aknowledge or disprove any facts.

You are unable (or rather, unwilling) to understand that:
- the profiles that PS5 devs have at their disposal are useful for routine optimizations that they will also need to do for the Xbox Series X version of their games. In any case, optimization is not something you spend most of the time on at development (unless all you do is engine work).
- developers themselves have already stated that both next gen consoles are much easier to work with. In fact, some seem to find the PS5 even easier. The aforementioned profiles seemed to have harmed nothing for game development itself.
- the controller which adjusts the components frequency to maintain the power budget has reproducible behavior. This is what is basically expected from any feedback control system.
- performance is by definition, always variable. You will be shocked to find that the Xbox Series X GPU will not always compute at 12TF, for example. Saying "variable performance" is meaningless.
- claiming that higher frequencies are always better is as silly as claiming that higher CU count is always better irrespective of the nature of the workload. Mind quoting who claimed that nonsense?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You mean other than attempting to add the same performance boost 2 separate times to the same system?

The hilarious claim that 2.23ghz gpu is automatically better than a 1.8ghz absolutely regardless of any other factors?
I agree that you can't add the performance boost twice and that a higher clock speed doesn't necesarrily mean you have a better GPU (obviously), but I don't think there's anything wrong with variable frequencies though.

The simple fact that the PS5s performance is variable that Sony themselves have admitted?

And congratulations, you can link to a marketing page for smartshift, perhaps you can try explaining to everyone how you can apply that 14% boost twice to the same system.

p.s Do quote me where I claimed "that this technology will struggle developers". Go on, I'm waiting.

Wow!

A higher clock nets you better performance, all the time

Tgf4qNl.png

kensama

I mean nothing go re watch road to PS5 and try to switch off your console waring mind, to try to understand what Cerny is talking.
Or at least read the comment from guy on this thread.

Yeah performance are variable but in a little range that it dosesn't affect so much the performance:

Cerny specifies that developers don’t want boost frequencies that are available for a short period of time before the system drops back to lower frequencies. Sustained targets are much more useful, and programmers will have detailed reports on CPU / GPU power consumption and frequency. They’ll also have the opportunity to improve performance by optimizing for power efficiency — being able to hit the same frame rate on less power will allow the GPU to maintain higher clocks for longer periods of time. Cerny also emphasizes a point that we’ve discussed several times in the past, namely that the relationship between frequency and power consumption is non-linear. According to him, dropping the CPU or GPU frequency by 10 percent reduces power consumption by an average of 27 percent. Radeon Nano is the clearest example we’ve ever seen of how binning and frequency reduction can dramatically improve power efficiency, and that GPU didn’t achieve a ratio as high as what Cerny claims for the PlayStation 5.
Cerny also clarified that the Zen 2 cores on the PS5 have special modes they can operate in to deliver Jaguar timing for emulation, but that Sony is keeping this capability “in its back pocket.”

I'm not AMD go ask them they created the technology.

For struggle of dev here:

So variable clock worsrt than fixed for whom if not dev?

So don't answer more please i ignore you from now

FranXico

Wow!

Tgf4qNl.png

But... but... but Richard Leadbetter has proven that's not true!

To be fair, that comparison is of the same NVidia card. It isn't really representative of the situation with PS5 and Series X. It's not any more applicable than the disingenuous little test Richard did.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
others are pointlessly going in circles refuting yours

By this you mean "others are constantly twisting your argument into something barely related in an attempt to stifle the topic at hand" right?

But lets go through it all again because the 10th person shows up completely oblivious to the topic at hand.

"- the profiles that PS5 devs have at their disposal are useful for routine optimizations that they will also need to do for the Xbox Series X version of their games. In any case, optimization is not something you spend most of the time on at development (unless all you do is engine work)."

Do quote me where I said anything against this?

"- developers themselves have already stated that both next gen consoles are much easier to work with. In fact, some seem to find the PS5 even easier. The aforementioned profiles seemed to have harmed nothing for game development itself."

Again, quote where I said the PS5 is hard to develop for.

I pointed out the irrefutable fact that variable performance is more difficult to optimise for than fixed performance.

"- the controller which adjusts the components frequency to maintain the power budget has reproducible behavior. This is what is basically expected from any feedback control system. "

Has what relevance to anything I've said?

"- performance is by definition, always variable. You will be shocked to find that the Xbox Series X GPU will not always compute at 12TF, for example. Saying "variable performance" is meaningless."

Oh look, another entirely irrelevant statement. But hey, if variable performance is meaningless, why did Sony talk about it?

kensama

To be fair, that comparison is of the same NVidia card. It isn't really representative of the situation with PS5 and Series X. It's not any more applicable than the disingenuous little test Richard did.

Why?
APU are both RDNA2 based on the same Big Navi. so one is 52 CU (XSX) and other 36 (PS5 at higher frequency).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I agree that you can't add the performance boost twice and that a higher clock speed doesn't necesarrily mean you have a better GPU (obviously), but I don't think there's anything wrong with variable frequencies though.

There is nothing inherently wrong with variable performance, it's merely sub optimal compared to fixed.

Why?
APU are both RDNA2 based on the same Big Navi. so one is 52 CU (XSX) and other 36 (PS5 at higher frequency).

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

To be fair, that comparison is of the same NVidia card. It isn't really representative of the situation with Xbox and Series X. It's not any more applicable than the disingenuous little test Richard did.

I know. I'm more trying to say that a PS5 with a fixed clock that would have had to settle with 1.6GHz or whatever its limit would have have been, would not be able to achieve the same performance as a PS5 with variable but higher clocks.

Wow!

Tgf4qNl.png

Am I missing something? I think everyone knows that the same GPU running at higher frequency will be faster. The XBOX Series X has a much bigger GPU however that will perform better than the higher clocked smaller GPU of the PS5. I thought we were all in agreement on this since specs were revealed?

Doesn't mean the PS5 won't be a good system. Just not as powerful as the Series X.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? I think everyone knows that the same GPU running at higher frequency will be faster. The XBOX Series X has a much bigger GPU however that will perform better than the higher clocked smaller GPU of the PS5. I thought we were all in agreement on this since specs were revealed?

I'm curious also to see what % of the time the GPU can maintain the full clock speed.

I don't think anyone here was claiming the PS5 was going to outperform the Series X just because it has higher clocks

Genius up top was claiming fixed clocks are objectively better than variable clocks. Which is obviously not true since a PS5 with fixed clocks and its limitations wouldn't perform equally or better than the PS5 with its variable clocks

Last edited:

kensama

I don't think anyone here was claiming the PS5 was going to outperform the Series X just because it has higher clocks

Genius up top was claiming fixed clocks are objectively better than variable clocks. Which is obviously not true since a PS5 with fixed clocks and its limitations wouldn't perform equally or better than the PS5 with its variable clocks
Ok cool. Maybe I misunderstood the argument's origin.

Nobody say PS5 to outperform XSX.
But can we assume that at least it will equal?

From what we know the PS5 is at higher clock, will impact directly the rasterization at the beginning of the work for the GPU on complex scene.
So Cerny stated it will have 33% more work done by the GPU of the PS5 than a GPU with the same CU number at 1.8Ghz.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

This I don't understand, why do you say this? If the PS5 would have fixed clocks at their current max variable clocks why would it have lower performance?

Nobody say PS5 to outperform XSX.
But can we assume that at least it will equal?

From what we know the PS5 is at higher clock, will impact directly the rasterization at the beginning of the work for the GPU on complex scene.
So Cerny stated it will have 33% more work done by the GPU of the PS5 than a GPU with the same CU number at 1.8Ghz.

Nah, they won't be equal. If you're a die-hard PS fan though it probably won't matter to your enjoyment of the games though so no worries. I'm sure the PS5 image quality will be really good. XBOX version may have some more effects or a more stable frame rate in multiplats at similar resolutions.

kensama

Let’s wait until the DF comparisons come in, yea?

I agree
There is so many unknown data so far.
But i'm thinking that cerny has optimized the hardware so much that we cannot finally know how the PS5 will behave vis-à-vis the XSX

Nah, they won't be equal. If you're a die-hard PS fan though it probably won't matter to your enjoyment of the games though so no worries. I'm sure the PS5 image quality will be really good. XBOX version may have some more effects or a more stable frame rate in multiplats at similar resolutions.

I'm not worried.
And for game i like more PS IP but i also own a switch and play Microsoft IP on PC. I prefer to play with Sony studios IP but can play on all platform.
And to be frank i don't do so much third party games. I only play first party game except for some third like Sega, Capcom, Square Enix but don't care on which platform it perform better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom