• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensama

It's not. Stop spreading nonsense.

I'm just wondering not spreading nonsense. We are here to speculate.
As said by other there will be a difference but seems that from developper it will not be a huge gap and developer also stated that we will not see the difference. So for me if no difference or minimal difference will be see, it's because games will be build at equity or be based on lowest common denominator.

J_Gamer.exe

Apologies if everyone is tired of the PS5 variable clocks discussion, I just wanna quickly chime in with my understanding of it.

The devkit profiles are there to just help developers optimise code. Fixing the CPU or GPU will help them find areas of the code they can improve, by being able to see a comparable execution time of the code each time they run it.

Without the use of profiles optimisation would be very difficult, as the same code would have different execution times based on the (variable) frequency chosen by the PS5 at that time.

The profiles aren't used for testing the game, that would be pointless as it would limit the CPU or GPU, which won't happen normally on a PS5.

I'm not a games developer but I develop iPhone apps. When using profiling tools in Xcode I can see (for example) the duration of functions, and If needed I can spend time optimising the code to bring those times down. If iPhones ran at variable frequencies I'd need to be able to fix the frequency, during optimisation, to test/ensure any optimised code is indeed running quicker.

Isn't this simply what the PS5 devkit profiles are for, fixing the frequencies to help the developer reduce (optimise) code execution time, if needed?

I really can't see the variable clocks being a big deal during PS5 development. If a game with a 60fps target is sometimes dipping a bit, fix the CPU clock and optimise the code a bit, and do the same with the GPU, fix the clock and see where time can be saved.

Cerny has said that it's very unlikely that games will demand full 100% CPU and GPU usage at the same time, and if a game does require that, for short periods of time, the PS5 can handle it without downclocking anyway.

So basically, under a fixed clock system the PS5 may have been fixed at maybe 2ghz for GPU and probably a lower CPU clock too and games optimised for that, effectively leaving performance on the table most the time.

With the new variable system games are optimised at locked profiles probably approaching or maybe even at the max limits, let’s go with it and say 2.23ghz and 3.5ghz.

Now under a fixed clock system this would be well beyond the systems cooling capability on worst case scenario code areas and therefore can’t happen, as without being able to lower clocks even temporarily on the fly, the demand at those moments may be too much and so clocks are set lower to account for this.

But on the PS5 the reason it can happen is because game code is not near to fully utilising the GPU/CPU at all times, so games optimised at these much higher clock speeds are able to run at these higher levels and perform much better than a fixed clock version because they have the ability to lower, if needed, at the time of those worst case scenarios.

Now to smartshift and am just trying to clarify here…. if the GPU is being highly utilised and running at max frequency and the CPU wasn’t at that moment (or visa versa), you could transfer more of the available power budget to enable the GPU to run at max, even if it already was, because the workload has increased and is now using more power to stay at max. Where without smartshift I presume it wouldn’t be able to increase that performance at that higher workload and may have had to downclock for the duration of that higher workload without that additional power boost to maintain it? Because prolonged spikes of high utilisation are apparently so rare this is why both should be able to run at max most the time as power can be shifted to each? So in cases where one has spare power, which with game code not being at max utilisation seems like it could be a lot, there’s scope to push these components at max frequency and higher workloads than possible before?

If both GPU and CPU are running at max frequency, this is possible but depends on workload, if the workload increased on both to push the power budget to or beyond the maximum, the component under least load would downclock or maybe even both would downclock. Downclocks could be for a few ms in a frame upwards and very minor (a 10% drop in power results in a few % drop in frequency but theres no reason to jump to 10% power dropped, it could be much less and depend on whats needed to be dropped to meet the power and cooling limit). But this is likely very rare as the loads on both the GPU and CPU are rarely anything approaching max especially at the same time?

So to me the variable clocks and smartshift seem like a very clever solution and together should ensure very high levels of performance not able to be attained from the same part under a fixed clock system….

Maybe someone can correct, add anything, fill in any gaps to this as it’s just me trying to fully understand all aspects of this.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would rather see what all these numbers translate to in actual games. Since last PS5 reveal, most PC and Xbox fans are in denial and refusing the official confirmations of them being run in real-time on PS5 by saying that those aren't possible for Horizon FW and other games and we should expect massive downgrades. You need to have a fish memory, sircaw sircaw no offence intended, to forget about UE5 gameplay running in real-time on PS5 and that was still not 100% optimized as well!

Until now, PS5 is leading in real world results.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I would rather see what all these numbers translate to in actual games. Since last PS5 reveal, most PC and Xbox fans are in denial and refusing the official confirmations of them being run in real-time on PS5 by saying that those aren't possible for Horizon FW and other games and we should expect massive downgrades. You need to have a fish memory, sircaw sircaw no offence intended, to forget about UE5 gameplay running in real-time on PS5 and that was still not 100% optimized as well!

I did not see any retail units out there for any demo. The dev kits runs at fixed clocks so we haven't seen real world performance yet. Epic has optimized like hell for the PS5 and ignoring all other platforms. The PS5 got its own io rewrite ffs.

Rudius

... and all I'm thinking the artists formerly known as evolution-studio's talents are really getting wasted

Edit: In all honesty it looks like a really nice offroading racer, maybe has some elements of MotorStorm with the crashing etc. but it's not it's spiritual successor, this is way too tame!!
How I wished they skipped DriveClub, then MotorStorm would have lived on!
But hey there's always hope, Sony still owns the brand MotorStorm and they did hold onto some of the key developers (I think)
Maybe they skipped a whole generation cos the crazy amount of physics needed in the next gen MotorStorm couldn't be done... The PS4 JAGUAR CPU is less powerful than the PS3 CELL CPU , and even with the aid of GPGPU through the ACE's on the PS4 it still wasn't enough... I'm speculating, or talking shit :messenger_beaming:

1. Start with a Motorstorm colection with full VR support on PS5.
2. After that put the same team to make a new one.
3. Profit.

sircaw

Banned

I am a Betta Splendens, Fighting fish, not some crappy gold fish.
How Dare you, Put em up.

Mike Tyson of the fish world in other words, :messenger_sunglasses:

raul3d

The ignorance is strong. Variable frequencies are worse, which is why every desktop and laptop grade CPU uses them to some capacity. Cultivate yourself:

The wikipedia article you posted has nothing to do with the variable frequencies of the PS5. The article is about a completely different concept; 100% unrelated.

Rudius

Glad you enjoyed, sir :lollipop_tears_of_joy: It's a good way to lighten the mood up around here:messenger_winking_tongue: The most laughed at thing I had was with BGs BGs being extremely polite with one guy asking stupid questions to the point that I read something like "I don't want to not reply to you so you think I don't respect you", it was too polite that made me crying for like 30-60 minutes then every time I check it again:lollipop_tears_of_joy: To the point my wife was thinking that I was going crazy, because I posted something similar to this meme when I read his post.

47lbfw.jpg

BGs is the most polite person I've seen in the forums, and during that time things were going crazy and hostile.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: His politeness didn't fit there.
When will BGs BGs say something about PSVR2? Everyone waited for so long to see the PS5, but we VR players are the thirstiest of them all!

Dodkrake

Banned
I did not see any retail units out there for any demo. The dev kits runs at fixed clocks so we haven't seen real world performance yet. Epic has optimized like hell for the PS5 and ignoring all other platforms. The PS5 got its own io rewrite ffs.
The wikipedia article you posted has nothing to do with the variable frequencies of the PS5. The article is about a completely different concept; 100% unrelated.

Go read about the myriad of technologies on variable frequency. They are listed at the bottom.

Also, nice goal post moving: VF is bad -> this VF is bad

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

sircaw

Banned
Before you get emotional, remember what happened to Tyson. Also I know cats that eat fish for FUN.

Are you fun?

There is so much antagonism going on in these forums.
Firstly when i said Tyson, i meant in his prime, how dare you think otherwise when using him as a comparison to me.

As for you Kipper breath, Remember the scene in the lion king when Scar chucked Simba's Dad into the quarry below.

I CHEERED.(y)

geordiemp

RTX 2070 Super (Overclocked) vs RTX 2080 (Stock) - Test in 20 Games - 1440p
MSI RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X (OC) 2100MHz/2070MHz =10.75/10.59 TFLOPS +1200 Memory Clock
MSI RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G OC (Stock) 1950MHz/1905MHz = 11.48/11.21 TFLOPS

PM25bOl.jpg

7C8f4xF.jpg

VXCUmqP.jpg

WDYvdA5.jpg

KVcGHM8.jpg

It is fun looking at overclocked GPU vs stock, but the question remains that older nodes probably had caps on when performance stopped with frequency due to the deisgn / node.

Now we are a new TSMC node in partial EUV and RDNA2 with 50 % per watt improvement and likely AMD tweeks to make logic better at these higher frequencies (because that is logical IMO). If that AMD claim is correct, then a RDNA2 GPU running at 2.23 Ghz is similar power use to an RDNA1 running at what frequency ?

WE cannot compare anything until we see some RDNA2 GPUs on PC side and see base and boost clocks then all will become clearer. Even base and boost clocks from Nvidia if made at TSMC will also tell us allot.

Cerny also said the heat was balanced between the Ps5 CPU and GPU in road to ps5 (just as easy to cool), so 3.5 Ghz CPU balances heat with a 2.23 Ghz GPU ? I doubt he was telling lies.

Also on recent Moores law is dead podcast the rumour he stated that MS removed all frequency control silicon and logic so they could squeeze more CUs, in which case there is no option BUT to run fixed clock. Thats speculation but also they have to say sustained if they have no option and have to run at a low clock for RDNA2 all the time (if rumour is correct).

2 different approaches to using silicon, lets see what comes before we make any judgement. If PC GPUs start boosting to 2.2 / 2.3 Ghz then there is information here which is very different to prior GPU designs. Lets wait, the plot thickens.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
If you claim that Earth is flat, there's no way to discuss it. You are just making a clown of yourself and that's the whole story. Of course the choice is yours, I won't continue, just report you.
Where he wrote such claim about flat earth? If you are making stuff and call him clown on top of that just because you dont like him, then you are the one who should be reported.

raul3d

Go read about the myriad of technologies on variable frequency. They are listed at the bottom.

Also, nice goal post moving: VF is bad -> this VF is bad

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I am not moving any goal posts. You posted an article about a variable frequency technique with the intention to conserve power, e.g. downclock your CPU if it is not needed. It is just something that is completely different; in how it works and in what it is intended to do. And obviously neither of these techniques is bad, as it does exactly what it intends to do: In this case reduce power consumption.

The only similarity to the PS5's system is that both techniques can adjust CPU/GPU frequency somehow. It is like saying everything that produces energy is a nuclear plant and is bad for the environment.

McHuj

I agree with him that there won't be Pro versions. I think it may take a while for a Slim version as well. 5nm isn't going to provide a big enough of a boost to provide a power and performances gain suitable for Pro consoles.

3nm is likely 4-5 years away so either they will shoot for another gen earlier or we will actually get Pro versions around 2025 and then gen overall will be a lot longer.

By-mission

Cyberpunk 2077 Preview Ran at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 Enabled on an RTX 2080Ti Powered PC...

""We play in Full HD - a fact that we first have to digest a bit, given the RTX 2080 Ti in the Alienware presentation computer, there should actually be a little more in the pixel density. In addition, DLSS is activated, so the internal render resolution is again less than 1,920 × 1080 pixels. But ray tracing is also active, in our preview version in the form of shadows, ambient occlusion and indirect lighting (Ray Traced Diffuse Illumination).""

UPY1nz7.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I don't understand why you @Fordino and others answering SatansReverence SatansReverence
It's clear that he is a console warrior and one of the XBOX FUD gang follower.

can @Mod of War do something for this guy?

He is clearlly derailing the thread.

We know that Smartshift is not actually available.
Dell will be the first before end of the year to provide a laptop with this technology:

And apparently, he know better than Cerny who is the System Architect and a veteran developer in the industry that this technology will struggle developers, going at the opposite to what Cerny told at the road to PS5.
That's insane
Knowing fact that AMD himself saying this technology offer 14% more of performance:

The mods already did, but the ban was lifted and...guess what? He came back doing exactly what he did before banishment.

DrDamn

I pointed out the irrefutable fact that variable performance is more difficult to optimise for than fixed performance.

Does this not depend on how and why performance is varying, and whether it is consistent or not - it is in PS5. Variable performance associated with CPU throttling is a reduction in clock speed to reduce power use or heat output, and it's not predictable across environments or the same spec PCs. In PS5 a reduction in frequency in the CPU or GPU in most cases is due to that part not needing it and prioritising the power going to the other. Making the most of what your cooling solution and power availability allows for. If both CPU and GPU are at their limits and both need the power then you then have the option to optimise the GPU processes or the CPU processes (ideally both).

This I don't understand, why do you say this? If the PS5 would have fixed clocks at their current max variable clocks why would it have lower performance?

It's not a choice between variable up to X and Y or fixed at X and Y though. Given a fixed cooling system and power profile then it is a choice between variable up to X and Y or fixed at <X and <Y. I.e. fixed frequencies in this scenario are always going to be lower. As long as the performance is predictable (and the power profile assures this is) then variable in this case is better than fixed (at a lower speed).

A specific frequency does not equal specific power consumption either, that depends on the load too. This is key to the whole set-up. This is why you can have both CPU and GPU running at max clocks.

Will it make PS5 more powerful than XSX? No of course not, but it makes PS5 perform better and more efficiently than a PS5 with fixed clocks at a lower speed - which is all the same power profile would allow for.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I agree with him that there won't be Pro versions. I think it may take a while for a Slim version as well. 5nm isn't going to provide a big enough of a boost to provide a power and performances gain suitable for Pro consoles.

3nm is likely 4-5 years away so either they will shoot for another gen earlier or we will actually get Pro versions around 2025 and then gen overall will be a lot longer.

PS5 Pro is more than likely to happen, with the same butterfly chiplet or stacked this time of the same die. It's AMD's philosophy as well to have 36-40CU dies max and instead stack them, something makes PS5 Pro more predictable, and should be sold as much as release PS5 2020 but in 2023-2024. And it'll not use 5nm nor 3nm, it'll use the same one to gain more value out of it.

Sony would rather push for 8K gaming (dynamic) much faster as it benefits other branches (Sony TV's). And before anyone whines about 8K, 4K should hit 60-240fps more often to hit 8K@30-60fps (or reconstructed from 6K like that indie game that's been published with PS5 reveal). Should make everyone happy, if they're willing to upgrade instead of staying at base console and bitch about 30fps. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a choice between variable up to X and Y or fixed at X and Y though. Given a fixed cooling system and power profile then it is a choice between variable up to X and Y or fixed at <X and <Y. I.e. fixed frequencies in this scenario are always going to be lower. As long as the performance is predictable (and the power profile assures this is) then variable in this case is better than fixed (at a lower speed).

A specific frequency does not equal specific power consumption either, that depends on the load too. This is key to the whole set-up. This is why you can have both CPU and GPU running at max clocks.

Will it make PS5 more powerful than XSX? No of course not, but it makes PS5 perform better and more efficiently than a PS5 with fixed clocks at a lower speed - which is all the same power profile would allow for.
The way I am reading this is that if you use variable frequencies you can go to a higher clock because you don't need to sustain that for a long time, so for short bursts you can go higher if the game needs this. The PS5 would never be able to keep the clocks this high for the CPU and GPU for a long time, right? Due to heating.

But this would also mean that if a 3rd party developer would be able to get everything out of the XSX with their more powerful GPU and CPU (barely), the game would need to be dumbed down for PS5 because it can't sustain those high clocks for a very long time which would be needed to follow the XSX. Right?

So variable clocks is great mostly for first party games and 3rd party games that don't push the hardware too far?

Last edited by a moderator:

geordiemp

The way I am reading this is that if you use variable frequencies you can go to a higher clock because you don't need to sustain that for a long time, so for short bursts you can go higher if the game needs this. The PS5 would never be able to keep the clocks this high for the CPU and GPU for a long time, right? Due to heating.

But this would also mean that if a 3rd party developer would be able to get everything out of the XSX with their more powerful GPU and CPU (barely), the game would need to be dumbed down for PS5 because it can't sustain those high clocks for a very long time which would be needed to follow the XSX. Right?

So variable clocks is great mostly for first party games and 3rd party games that don't push the hardware too far?

No. Lets do this very simply - Heat generating code, such as a simplistic map screen, where you are displaying simple geomtery repeated in a loop causes heat.

Ps4 pro goes mad on map screens, COD, HZD, GOW - simple rendering in a loop. Why run fast for this ?

Why not run fster GPU when rndering complex gameplay - thats what is NEEDED.

The PS5 can run at Max frequencies on the CPU & GPU all day but not at max load . At max load something would need to give. So as cerney mentioned reducing the frequencies by a couple percent reduces power need by 10%..

So as an example to save 10% power the GPU would have 10.1 TF (if the CPU was at max load). We don't know what the power budget is for the PS5 so we don't know what the max GPU frequencies are at max CPU load.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Does this not depend on how and why performance is varying, and whether it is consistent or not - it is in PS5. Variable performance associated with CPU throttling is a reduction in clock speed to reduce power use or heat output, and it's not predictable across environments or the same spec PCs. In PS5 a reduction in frequency in the CPU or GPU in most cases is due to that part not needing it and prioritising the power going to the other. Making the most of what your cooling solution and power availability allows for. If both CPU and GPU are at their limits and both need the power then you then have the option to optimise the GPU processes or the CPU processes (ideally both).

Variable performance is variable performance regardless of what ever round about way you try to down play it.

It's understandably assumed that the PS5s performance isn't affected by external factors, it is however limited by console design that only allowed it to dissipate a pre determined amount of heat at a nominal air temperature. i.e it is designed to be capable of running at 3.2ghz cpu and 2.23ghz gpu in a room with the air temp of 43 degrees C. Or at 3.5ghz cpu and 2.1 ghz gpu (these numbers are entirely hypothetical, but the general concept has been confirmed by sony.) or what ever range in between.

Now, why is this a problem for optimisation? Because the compute performance of each component is going to vary leading to devs needing to either leave more overhead thus leaving performance on the table, or they will need to spend more time and effort during optimisation to prevent situations where, for example, the console is using the GPU as hard as it can but needing to have a burst of CPU which it won't be able to because the thermal limit would be exceeded or vice versa where it's a more CPU intensive situation but certain effects require a burst of GPU compute which again, the system cannot handle.

Either of those situations would lead to frametime spikes.

So they have the choice of a fixed profile where they can more consistently know the performance of the components. Easier to optimise for but leaving potential performance on the table. Or, they can put in more work to optimise for the variable performance which, as indicated above, is automatically more difficult than doing so for a fixed performance set up.

kensama

If you claim that Earth is flat, there's no way to discuss it. You are just making a clown of yourself and that's the whole story. Of course the choice is yours, I won't continue, just report you.

I don't know why you are so aggressive? I did not attack you.
So report me if you feel better but your reaction is disproportionate.

Edit: My bad FeiRR FeiRR as i put SatansReverence SatansReverence in my ignore list i thought you were talking to me. Sorry.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Eaxctly.

No way they want to hurt this next gen sales by saying "But if you wait a couple of years we will be showing off this Zen 3 17 tf monster"
Yeah, they made too much money on upgrades this gen to abandon that model now. I am counting on a 2023 upgrade, I believe that's why they went with the big SSD and IO upgrade, so all that work will carry over and graphics, fps and raytracing etc can be scaled up easily but game design will have adjusted for the 3 years resulting in better / more free game design.

That's just my personal theory though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The PS5 can run at Max frequencies on the CPU & GPU all day but not at max load . At max load something would need to give. So as cerney mentioned reducing the frequencies by a couple percent reduces power need by 10%..

So as an example to save 10% power the GPU would have 10.1 TF (if the CPU was at max load). We don't know what the power budget is for the PS5 so we don't know what the max GPU frequencies are at max CPU load.
Why is it not OK to run at max load for a longer time as long as the console is able to cool this? Or you mean to match the max load of XSX they need to lower stuff, because it's just not as powerful?

Variable performance is variable performance regardless of what ever round about way you try to down play it.

It's understandably assumed that the PS5s performance isn't affected by external factors, it is however limited by console design that only allowed it to dissipate a pre determined amount of heat at a nominal air temperature. i.e it is designed to be capable of running at 3.2ghz cpu and 2.23ghz gpu in a room with the air temp of 43 degrees C. Or at 3.5ghz cpu and 2.1 ghz gpu (these numbers are entirely hypothetical, but the general concept has been confirmed by sony.) or what ever range in between.

Now, why is this a problem for optimisation? Because the compute performance of each component is going to vary leading to devs needing to either leave more overhead thus leaving performance on the table, or they will need to spend more time and effort during optimisation to prevent situations where, for example, the console is using the GPU as hard as it can but needing to have a burst of CPU which it won't be able to because the thermal limit would be exceeded or vice versa where it's a more CPU intensive situation but certain effects require a burst of GPU compute which again, the system cannot handle.

Either of those situations would lead to frametime spikes.

So they have the choice of a fixed profile where they can more consistently know the performance of the components. Easier to optimise for but leaving potential performance on the table. Or, they can put in more work to optimise for the variable performance which, as indicated above, is automatically more difficult than doing so for a fixed performance set up.

The variation is dependent on power, not heat/temperature. It is a known variable, unlike temperature which can vary depending on variation with the APU itself but also room temperature.

Given it is a known variable, the time + power required to render the frame can be calculated and compared to this limit, just as it can be with the limit from fixed clocks. I agree it appears like there is more work, but that's what the tools are there for.

What I don't understand is why you feel this requires *far* more work than with fixed clocks and is such a big issue? If it really was a problem, could you explain why most devs that have had hands on with the PS5 have said it is extremely easy to develop for? Is optimization not part of development?

geordiemp

Why is it not OK to run at max load for a longer time as long as the console is able to cool this? Or you mean to match the max load of XSX they need to lower stuff, because it's just not as powerful?

Why run at 1,,8 GHz to allow for uncontrolled running of a map screen, when the normal gameplay can run at 2.3 Ghz ?

Cerny even gave this example in road to Ps5. Code that generates heat on GPU tend to be simple geomrtry in a loop,. Its called an edge case, something you have to design for. - but why not downclock when it does not matter ?

Do you waste less energy on teh map screen and put more power on the game play.

Yes I am over simplifying this, but it is also the main culprit of ps4 pro games. If I go into map in HZD the pr4 pro fan goes nuts every time - so design it out.

Last edited:

It's for cooling andr Power. Sony has locked the GPU Ceiling at 2.23 , cerney mentioned they could go higher but things began to get unstable beyond this point.

The power budget is how much power the unit has available to it due to either power supply ratings and thermals.

So Sony knows that the PS5 can handle x amount of heat and Y amount of power. If the CPU runs at max load it will produce "S" amount of heat and draw "T" amount of power and smartshift knows how much to downclock the GPU based upon its load in order to stay within the X & Y limits.

Thirty7ven

Banned

It means certain workloads will need a bit more power in that moment, and the GPU will lower the frequency just enough to feed it.

The power is constant, it's a set budget. You got X amount of power to feed the entire APU, and it's constantly being fed that X amount of power. It's not variable. It's enough power to run the majority of scenarios at those frequencies, but there will be scenes where there won't be enough power to keep running at those max frequencies.

A common mistake is that it means Game A will run the entire time at X frequency and Game B will run the entire time at Y frequency. This is not how it works.

Why run at 1,,8 GHz to allow for uncontrolled running of a map screen, when the normal gameplay can run at 2.3 Ghz ?

This is the crux of it.

Another common mistake that is now becoming a thing because MS said so, is that this makes games more difficult to optimize for. This would be true if devs never had to worry about power draw before. It would be true if there were no profiling tools for it. Third parties would be against this approach too, which they aren't.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

He stated it based on the noise. The idea behind it is to not have it sounds like the pro which for me is max fucking fan all day. They wanted a quiet console but can still be cool at 10tf

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's for cooling andr Power. Sony has locked the GPU Ceiling at 2.23 , cerney mentioned they could go higher but things began to get unstable beyond this point.

The power budget is how much power the unit has available to it due to either power supply ratings and thermals.

So Sony knows that the PS5 can handle X amount of heat and Y amount of power. If the CPU runs at max load it will produce "S" amount of heat and draw "T" amount of power and smartshift knows how much to downclock the GPU based upon its load in order to stay within the X & Y limits.
And when the console would be running at max load for a long time the amount of heat "S" would become so big that it needs more power to cool, and then the power budget is not enough to make sure that CPU/GPU can get their "T" amount of power? But this never happens for longer times so these are scenarios that are just not needed, hence the variable frequency.

Does the console also draw less power from the net then? Is it literally cheaper and more eco-friendly, or does that stay fixed? And if so, what do they do with that power?

geordiemp

This is the crux of it.

Another common mistake that is now becoming a thing because MS said so, is that this makes games more difficult to optimize for. This would be true if devs never had to worry about power draw before. It would be true if there were no profiling tools for it. Third parties would be against this approach too, which they aren't.

APUs should be cooling when nothing on screen is moving. Maybe Ps5 is a 9 TF machine on map screens lol, who cares ?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The power is constant, it's a set budget. You got X amount of power to feed the entire APU, and it's constantly being fed that X amount of power. It's not variable. It's enough power to run the majority of scenarios at those frequencies, but there will be scenes where there won't be enough power to keep running at those max frequencies.

Eh.. reading between the lines, I'd bet one of the processors will be below max most of the time. Cerny said "at or near max" most of the time.. if it was ACTUALLY max most of the time, pretty sure he would have said as much.

LED Guy?

Banned
I see PS5 now as the only piece of hardware that is really innovating & doing stuff we haven’t seen on PC nor Series X (doesn't mean they can't do what the PS5 is doing), Sony is the leader of the pack once again by showing us next-generation graphics right out the gate with Unreal 5 on PS5, Spider Man MM, Ratchet & Clank showcasing the SSD capabilities, Horizon etc... and its only the beginning.

I don’t think Halo Infinite will be anything special graphically, we’ll see if it can beat TLOU 2 graphically (because that’s this generation’s benchmark now), because even on Series X, I don’t think so, it’ll just run at 4K 60 FPS or 120 FPS or whatever and will look worse than Sony exclusives or RDR 2. 🥰🥰🥰

Last edited:

geordiemp

And when the console would be running at max load for a long time the amount of heat "S" would become so big that it needs more power to cool, and then the power budget is not enough to make sure that CPU/GPU can get their "T" amount of power? But this never happens for longer times so these are scenarios that are just not needed, hence the variable frequency.

Does the console also draw less power from the net then? Is it literally cheaper and more eco-friendly, or does that stay fixed? And if so, what do they do with that power?

Its amazing how many Xbox fans post religously about sustained frequencies and trying to understand. Its relentless.

The Power budget is fixed such that heat is no longer a problem.

Think of it as having a Large cup of water and two smaller empty cups. You don't have enough water to fill both cups to the top (LOAD) but you can move water from cup A to cup B to fill one of them. . But you always have a fixed amount of water.

It only uses the water which is needed at the time , it just has a fixed amount to draw from

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom