• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I've gotta be honest, didn't expect Far Cry 6 to look this good

EcwLto0WsAEqgof

EcwLsbxWsAAYJGh

EcwLrXRXsAAJacQ

EcwLyoxX0AAQHO2
Looks alright to me. Looks current-gen at extreme settings tbh.

Just_one

so are we a go for tonight ps5 price reveal? lets hope so!

my guess
digital - 399€
normal one - 499€

although i would love to see the official price i really think if sony reveals the price tonight they would should address how is the retrocompatibility with ps4 is really gonna work. i know a lot people (myself included) are waiting for a more concrete answer on this to buy it day 1 or not.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony could buy the entire company almost twice over.....

Dunno why people think they are some broke company!

It's obvious that the deal only contains studios with no IP's. Sony would've easily sealed the deal with all that hard cash and passion to make quality entertainment. Sony already does CGI for Warner Bros mvoies via Sony Pictures Imageworks:

Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation unit of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group known for live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and all-CG animation.

The company, headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., recently completed work on the Warner Bros. feature SUICIDE SQUAD, STORKS for Warner Animation Group, Columbia Pictures’ GHOSTBUSTERS, Disney’s ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE for Columbia Pictures and Rovio Animation, Sony Pictures Animation’s HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2, Marvel Studios’ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the Warner Bros. feature EDGE OF TOMORROW. Sony Pictures Imageworks is currently in production on SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE for Sony Pictures Animation, KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE for Fox, Columbia Pictures’ SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, MEG for Warner Bros., PACIFIC RIM: MAELSTROM for Legendary and Warner Animation Group’s SMALLFOOT.

Sony is helping the big boys, I expect most of those would rather have Disney, Warner Bros., Marvel games being Sony PS5 exclusives to give their IP's the hype they deserve, instead of EA's lootboxes or other infamous companies known to deliver crap quality.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gaming would be so dull without the excitement of new generations and E3 and all the things that make it what it is..... that is why a streaming future would kill the entire industry.

I think the 1.4% Epic deal was bullshit too...they could have bought Remedy or iOi easily for that amount.
To buy Kadokawa and therefore From would be just over a billion and I think that is what they should do.... Publish Bloodborne on PC and say, there is your taste and if you want more they will be on PlayStation from now on.

Why it's BS? They can bring back those $250 million in around 4 years according to Epic Games annual revenues. It's a smart investment instead of having cash sitting around.

0*duzFD6b4wlGc6r8s.jpg

They're leading the camera business both in photography and cinematography, TV's are thriving again and should spike with the new X900H being the best bang for the buck for next gen, their new Xperia 1 II packs the best camera features and capabilities, their image sensors are holding half of the global share, and PS4 is still selling at crazy high prices even this late!

But it's always better to widen your investments, and I would think putting similar money on Unity would be another smart thing, unless they're really planning in having the Decima engine as an open-source engine to rival Epic Games, Unity.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
if PS5 Digital edition has price advantage on Xsex then it's bad news for MS.

I think even at parity it's going to be hard for microsoft. Sony's Brand name is just to powerful, Microsoft really fucked themselves last generation. There hardware is good, but realistically Sony has to make some serious blunders for MS to get back into the frame.

I mean, in general that's why you hear from Spencer and the other Cronies every few days, they need to get out there to get noticed.

I would even be bold enough to say that microsofts need to undercut sony, to try and steal some of the marketshare back, they are rich enough to do it.

But then again, Microsoft says Sony are not there competition.

Not even sure if Microsoft knows what they are doing, time will tell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think people are underestimating how much consumers are going to resist digital only consoles.
If Sony hikes the price of the disc console to push the discless console sales, it will backfire.
But they are thinking Sony is going to lower the discless version in pricing. So obviously the disc version will be more expensive, but most people seem to think that Sony would really go low with the DE. So 399-499 instead of 499-599.

FranXico

But they are thinking Sony is going to lower the discless version in pricing. So obviously the disc version will be more expensive, but most people seem to think that Sony would really go low with the DE. So 399-499 instead of 499-599.
Personally, I think they should take the hit on the disc console (399) and make the digital one 349 at most. That would be competitive and still make the discless console appealing.

And I reiterate, consumers know how gimped one is without a disc drive. They expect due compensation.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Personally, I think they should take the hit on the disc console (399) and make the digital one 349 at most. That would be competitive and still make the discless console appealing.

And I reiterate, consumers know how gimped one is without a disc drive. They expect due compensation.
That would be a bit too high of a loss. Although they could afford it in theory.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

I would be very very surprised if the consoles are only 349/399. In case of the DE this would mean they take a $70-$100 hit per console, great for consumers of course, but would seem a bit steep knowing how easily Playstation sells. 449/499 or 399/499 seems more likely, hopefully we'll know more later today

I think people are underestimating how much consumers are going to resist digital only consoles.

I think people are overestimating the resistance.
We are already at the point (and have been for a few years now) where the vast majority of game sales in the US are digital.
Granted that is skewed by the PC and Steam a bit, but even for PS4 specifically, globally the majority of game sales on the system are digital now.

Sure, there will be regional variations (countries with worse internet infrastructure will be be more resistant), but in general I think people are ready for an all digital console.

If you look at music and films, people had the same arguments against an all digital future there too. And look what happened.

Last edited:

silent head

KWRbdMS.gif

RTX 2080TI 4,352 shaders, 11 GB GDDR6 with a 352 bit interface (14 GHz, 616 GB/s for the Founders Edition). Furthermore, the 2080Ti includes 544 Tensor cores and 68 raytracing cores.

After accessing a preview build of the game, Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan noted how demanding the game was on PC, revealing that the preview ran at a locked 1080p 30FPS at what appeared to be Ultra settings on an RTX 2080 Ti. Note, that this preview build was likely locked at 30FPS to match the game's console editions, and to deliver stable capture footage. Even so, unlocking the game's framerate proved exactly how demanding Watch Dogs: Legion can be.

When running the game with "maxed settings", Ubisoft's preview build of Watch Dogs: Legion was unable to run at 60FPS on a PC with an RTX 2080 Ti. This highlights how demanding Watch Dogs: Legion can be with ray tracing enabled, though it is worth noting that Ubisoft's AAA PC games often go overkill when it comes to graphical settings. Just try running any recent Assassin's Creed game on PC with maxed out settings...

While it looks like ray tracing will be a demanding feature on Watch Dogs: Legion, it is worth noting that the game will support DLSS on PC. This feature will help boost the performance of Nvidia's latest RTX series graphics cards, though this feature wasn't tested as part of Digital Foundry's early analysis.

At this time, we can only guess at the performance impact of ray tracing within Watch Dogs: Legion. Many other advanced PC settings could be crippling the game's RTX 2080 Ti performance. Even so, sub-60FPS performance at 1080p on at £1000ish graphics card isn't great, even if it is with a pre-release version of the game.

It's obvious that the deal only contains studios with no IP's. Sony would've easily sealed the deal with all that hard cash and passion to make quality entertainment. Sony already does CGI for Warner Bros mvoies via Sony Pictures Imageworks:

Sony is helping the big boys, I expect most of those would rather have Disney, Warner Bros., Marvel games being Sony PS5 exclusives to give their IP's the hype they deserve, instead of EA's lootboxes or other infamous companies known to deliver crap quality.

Really looking forward to the next gen games from PS Studio & 2nd party & collab projects. Looks like they are targeting that hollywood VFX level. They are trying to get around that level at least. PS5 can do it so should be good in the future.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I really wonder if MS will disclose console sales numbers again...
Probably not since they'll still be losing, and it's also a vanity metric that doesn't really say anything and can only be used for marketing purposes.

pasterpl

KWRbdMS.gif

RTX 2080TI 4,352 shaders, 11 GB GDDR6 with a 352 bit interface (14 GHz, 616 GB/s for the Founders Edition). Furthermore, the 2080Ti includes 544 Tensor cores and 68 raytracing cores.

After accessing a preview build of the game, Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan noted how demanding the game was on PC, revealing that the preview ran at a locked 1080p 30FPS at what appeared to be Ultra settings on an RTX 2080 Ti. Note, that this preview build was likely locked at 30FPS to match the game's console editions, and to deliver stable capture footage. Even so, unlocking the game's framerate proved exactly how demanding Watch Dogs: Legion can be.

When running the game with "maxed settings", Ubisoft's preview build of Watch Dogs: Legion was unable to run at 60FPS on a PC with an RTX 2080 Ti. This highlights how demanding Watch Dogs: Legion can be with ray tracing enabled, though it is worth noting that Ubisoft's AAA PC games often go overkill when it comes to graphical settings. Just try running any recent Assassin's Creed game on PC with maxed out settings...

While it looks like ray tracing will be a demanding feature on Watch Dogs: Legion, it is worth noting that the game will support DLSS on PC. This feature will help boost the performance of Nvidia's latest RTX series graphics cards, though this feature wasn't tested as part of Digital Foundry's early analysis.

At this time, we can only guess at the performance impact of ray tracing within Watch Dogs: Legion. Many other advanced PC settings could be crippling the game's RTX 2080 Ti performance. Even so, sub-60FPS performance at 1080p on at £1000ish graphics card isn't great, even if it is with a pre-release version of the game.

ubisoft are real masters of optimisation, their games dont even look that amazing to justify these levels of performance on high end gpu’s

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really looking forward to the next gen games from PS Studio & 2nd party & collab projects. Looks like they are targeting that hollywood VFX level. They are trying to get around that level at least. PS5 can do it so should be good in the future.

Sony Pictures Imageworks Vs Quixel, Decima Vs Unreal Engine. I think Sony should really consider that, and even have people from around the globe to contribute to the assets library and them licensed/sold to Sony for a fee or have a cut from every user used them would make many freelancers/professionals contribute into enlarging and surpassing the quixel megascans, if not already bigger as Imageworks been around since 27 years!

1200px-Sony_Pictures_Imageworks_logo.svg.png

OWdYaHPRb0xhv4W92pYq958a56NupM1DC_tynbYmbVv10LQs9Yj8lKXSZb1pQuLeOKIqO16v3zO-7fYBF6JvsEJj3Gdvm4VRDPu5Psrc5VBwNaMyEiJUOdRr5ag1RCO57JlELCm041Gwcncmf0myLWEiVHlLj9j5HvecktqEGAlQnOMOVsW7ZJZ42ma4jXuHV5lrI7W5kSxvoyHl55owN5OGS5oq99DeZ9essV96

hemo memo

Gold Member
Do you mean trade a physical copy for a digital one? How can one do that?

I meant downloading the digital upgraded version then selling the physical version. That’s why it’s:
physical to physical
Digital to digital

if PS5 Digital edition has price advantage on Xsex then it's bad news for MS.

How? Lockheart is PS5 digital equivalent not XSX.

To the average consumer:
XSX - PS5 = XSX is cheaper
XSS - PS5D = XSS is cheaper

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom