• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really so hard to believe Sony employee can make mistakes? It's easier to believe in some conspiracy theory? Odium wasnt fair to Leondardi, but I refuse to believe he would photoshop everything just to make fun from you guys.

What really bothers me is that O'Dium is a developer. As a developer im pretty sure he's very familiar with non disclosure agreements. So by releasing that PM to us he risks the career of that person and also that person can get sued due to this.

Why did he post it so quickly on Gaf without consulting first if it was ok to release that information?

Thedtrain

What really bothers me is that O'Dium is a developer. As a developer im pretty sure he's very familiar with non disclosure agreements. So by releasing that PM to us he risks the career of that person and also that person can get sued due to this.

Why did he post it so quickly on Gaf without consulting first if it was ok to release that information?
Never underestimate the dopamine rush of internet glory. No matter how short lived.

Because it was fake and soon we will learn the guy hasn’t work in sony for few months/year

Brudda26

What's even more odd is he doesnt even have a xsx or ps5 devkit

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, so the RDNA 1.5 rumours are back, I thought it was done and dusted after the Mark Cerny Tech Talk as well as Lisa Su's comments. RedGamingTech (who's usually biased towards Series X) even mentioned how Sony played an important role in developing the RDNA 2 architecture and that he heard this from a reliable source. Cerny also mentioned that it was important for the PS5 GPU to be very efficient in terms of power consumption and performance and that AMD achieved this by "re-architecting the GPU" and that this was also an important criteria for PS5's GPU. The ray-tracing implementation is also the RDNA 2 implementation through the intersection engines, same as the Series X. So I'm just not buying this whole RDNA 1.5 thing, and anyone saying that Sony bolted on these features last minute then that is utterly laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_Gamer.exe

I dont know who that is, if theyre some sort of trusted insider and theyre claiming that's their own conversation then it might have more credence, but from reading the last couple pages it seemed like the picture just popped up somewhere

i believe the real message ended once he said "Im legally binded to say nothing that is not already public"

Here's how it came about.

I found this quite amusing from Gavin Stevens tweets aka Odium. Seems to contradict himself....

The other day he said PS5 works like a traditional system aka loading in a full texture. Read from 11-13.

To admitting PS4 could do the old version in hardware so why would you say PS5 loads the whole texture knowing this and that PS4 didn't have to. Then goes on to say of course PS5 can do it but.... this , that the other RDNA 1, 2 etc.....

Unless of course he is just reacting to our discussions on here where it came more to light that PS4 had this? Strange....

Read the whole tweet chain for apparent discussions with both Microsoft and Sony.... and other tidbits....

In short, I wasn’t clear enough or was confusing in my original statements and changed them when it was mentioned, yes. PRT is a hardware based version equivalent to SF that was working on PS4, however future iterations on par with SFS have not been confirmed to have dedicated hardware to support them *yet*. Hence why I asked for clarification.

As for RDNA, I just quoting what the guy who worked on it said to me.

*removed*

But in my reply to his post you can see what was there and the message he posted...

A question, usually does this type if stuff require any checking from mods? Not sure what they could have checked but...

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens was definitely talking to the sony guy on twitter.

pasterpl

Wow, so the RDNA 1.5 rumours are back, I thought it was done and dusted after the Mark Cerny Tech Talk as well as Lisa Su's comments. RedGamingTech (who's usually biased towards Series X) even mentioned how Sony played an important role in developing the RDNA 2 architecture and that he heard this from a reliable source. Cerny also mentioned that it was important for the PS5 GPU to be very efficient in terms of power consumption and performance and that AMD achieved this be "re-architecting the GPU" and that this was also an important criteria for PS5's GPU. The ray-tracing implementation is also the RDNA 2 implementation through the intersection engines, same as the Series X. So I'm just not buying this whole RDNA 1.5 thing, and anyone saying that Sony bolted on these features last minute then that is utterly laughable.

apparently it was said by someone working At playstation, so not exactly rumours

I knowww. He said he's excited so I wanna know if that means games, something related to services, BC with ps2-3 (very low chance), ps5 BC upgrades, or the UI. They have yet to talk about so much still.

I think its games.. let’s see if he spills something.. by now he is for sure playing GoT.. let’s hope he comes in and give us something :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Brudda26

apparently it was said by someone working At playstation, so not exactly rumours
It reads more along the lines it has features from both with custom hardware. Therr is good reason for keeping older hardware features in your new hardware for compatibility reasons and ease of use for developers who may not of developed engines to make use of new feature sets.

Just to add a bit more to this RDNA1 still contains alot from the old GCN architecture from what I recall.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I also see people arguing over the PS5 load times based on a flimsy gameplay segment from a pre-loaded game on the PS5. When we have a developer from Horizon Forbidden West saying:

"With the PS5's SSD, there will be virtually no loading screens," he said in a new video from PlayStation. "In an open-world game like Horizon Forbidden West, if you open up the map and fast travel from one end to the other, restarting from a check-point will be super fast. And when you boot up the game, you're right there--in the action."

pasterpl

so convenient that xbox fanboys talk to this PS guy and he is so fine to break NDA and go against what cerny and amd and Lisa su have said. I don’t know now which to believe . Fucking lol

how the hell can you know what is in this guy NDA? Someone else mentioned in here that exact quote from Cerny is something in lose that rdna2 is the foundation of the ps5.maybe we are reading too much into this?

I am more concerned with mentioned lack of ml in ps5 (not even Sony mentioned it)

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So know that we've seen the Playstation event and what they have to offer, everyone seems to think they should wait for the Microsoft event and then compare the two and see which one has better graphics, gameplay etc I don't think it's as simple as this, we already know Sony held back some games from the recent Sony event so that they can show them off later to steal thunder from the Microsoft event, and I think Microsoft will likewise counter back. My point is I wouldn't jump to conclusions even after the Microsoft event nor the Sony event in Augest. For the next few months each company will just be trying to 1 up one another.

pasterpl

I also see people arguing over the PS5 load times based on a flimsy gameplay segment from a pre-loaded game on the PS5. When we have a developer from Horizon Forbidden West saying:

virtually, is not the same as literally, so there we can expect some loading times, tbh. if Could get all games to load from system to the game within 10s I will be very happy.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
virtually, is not the same as literally, so there we can expect some loading times, tbh. if Could get all games to load from system to the game within 10s I will be very happy.
I agree to an extent, virtually is a vague statement, but I'm expecting something between 2-4 seconds on the PS5 and Series X following closely.

how the hell can you know what is in this guy NDA? Someone else mentioned in here that exact quote from Cerny is something in lose that rdna2 is the foundation of the ps5.maybe we are reading too much into this?

I am more concerned with mentioned lack of ml in ps5 (not even Sony mentioned it)
You don’t be concerned about anything related to PS5. U just go play x1x2 .cheers

J_Gamer.exe

Yeah but astrobot they saw a bit where it goes through a fan taking seconds in a game that gives controller feedback and sounds to demonstrate, a design choice. It couldn't possibly have been for that reason they say lol or maybe even not running on a ps5 directly maybe across ps now we have no idea how it was played as Geoff said it was taken away straight after.

Any sane person knows the PS5 will eliminate loading based on the specs and we have seen evidence of the speed in ratchet.

But lunatics will jump on something to make their narrative fit.

J_Gamer.exe

I agree to an extent, virtually is a vague statement, but I'm expecting something between 2-4 seconds on the PS5 and Series X following closely.

Na even less for me, PS5 should load entire game ram in aprox 1.5 seconds, maybe quicker with oodle texture and if games don't use full ram capacity or have partial loading bits.

But also the process may be slowed down for less shock for players. This is the only problem for Sony, when they do there will be more accusations of lies from lunatics despite evidence of other games doing it in a second.

pasterpl

You don’t be concerned about anything related to PS5. U just go play x1x2 .cheers

I am concerned about ps5, just want my favourite ips owned by Sony to really shine next gen, I always buy Sony consoles at later stages in each generation, just recently recently started playing god of war on my PS4 pro, I like games first, so I am usually ending up with all platforms each generation (I even got ps vita). Xbonex is my main machine For 90% of games, while ps4 is mainly my wipeout platform.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Na even less for me, PS5 should load entire game ram in aprox 1.5 seconds, maybe quicker with oodle texture and if games don't use full ram capacity or have partial loading bits.

But also the process may be slowed down for less shock for players. This is the only problem for Sony, when they do there will be more accusations of lies from lunatics despite evidence of other games doing it in a second.
100%, when I say 2-4 seconds, I am being very conservative, but everything that has been said by developers and Mark Cerny all seem to be consistent with the fact that the loading times and fast travels will be "so fast that you'll miss it if you blink". I don't see how this is controversial, this is the result of a SSD which can output 5.5 GB/s of raw data uncompressed.

Gamerguy84

Im pretty sure that engineer is probably already aware that the DM was shared. Let's see how he reacts to this.

If its true I really hope that guy dont get in trouble over what amounts to console warring. Hes already saying those can be edited so whether he said anything or not hes covering his ass.

Odium should not have posted that.

B_Boss

Fair enough, maybe I did. It was a while back to be fair. Bit sad you actually searched through the post to one up me, but hey, good show.

I‘d like to state for the record that my initial response to your tweets certainly wasn’t motivated by any ill will or warrior mentality. I don’t believe in that kind of thinking as a way of understanding the tech. It is all purely logical for me unless explicitly stated otherwise lol.

I knew of the bit of intellectual back and forth about RDNA 1/1.5/2, etc. We had the conference where Cerny mentions “custom RDNA 2.0 based” as well as Dr. Su pretty much confirming RDNA 2.0 and after reading your mention of RDNA 1.5 I was genuinely curious about your train of thought.

I might also add that, while you might feel it was sad for a member to search posts to strengthen a rebuttal or response, that’s fair game. I’d rather members attack one another’s logic and thinking/claims than one another personally (ad hominems).

As for the reasoning behind it, 1up or not, that’s fair game I think? and we’d ultimately have to ask his/her motivations for searching through your previous posts. Either way, once we hit “post reply” on these forums, we should brace ourselves or at least be prepared to discuss or elaborate further. We make claims, we publicly present those claims/thoughts and/or evidence and we submit them for all else to see, analyze, scrutinize, etc. I think it’s good work to do that (thoroughly searching and researching for a strong response) rather than relying on memory for example.

Thanks again for your tech thinking and sharing it 🍻.

HAL-01

Hes already saying those can be edited so whether he said anything or not hes covering his ass.
He didn’t, that was an edit I made to show how easily and quickly one can do fake dms

If he actually said the Rdna bit it may be that he doesnt consider it a breach of NDA, perhaps for all intents and purposes it is rdna 2 but with a few rdna 1 features, hence “in between”

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

He didn’t, that was an edit I made to show how easily and quickly one can do fake dms

If he actually said the Rdna bit it may be that he doesnt consider it a breach of NDA, perhaps for all intents and purposes it is rdna 2 but with a few rdna 1 features, hence “in between”

Oh Ok. Thanks.

PaintTinJr

After seeing the way Sony were able to alter the PS3's OtherOS and make the RSX VRAM available in a completely opaque way to the programmer, I don't actually believe that developers - even first party ones - can bypass modern hypervisors that control the view of the hardware that's presented to the games in development.

If the people tweeting that Sony still have big news about the hardware to reveal are correct, then I won't be surprised if what developers are seeing in their view of the PS5 hardware isn't the full system - maybe because aspects of the SDK aren't ready or firmware security testing hasn't cleared features, but because Cerny has stated that the PS5 is RDNA2, has hardware RT, and Epic have showcased "compute-world first": an RDNA2 solution and the head of AMD has stated it is an RDNA2, GPU in the PS5 even if that DM picture is real, the information in it is almost certainly wrong (IMHO), for whatever reasons.

/seems very odd that while most of us are preoccupied (mostly) with Ghost of tsushima this revival of what was consider FUD has reappeared.

HAL-01

Here's how it came about.

But in my reply to his post you can see what was there and the message he posted...

A question, usually does this type if stuff require any checking from mods? Not sure what they could have checked but...

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens was definitely talking to the sony guy on twitter.

Knowing the source I do feel more inclined to believe it, though I still find the dm wording questionable.

If he really did say that with full knowledge of NDA it’s likely just an inconsequential technicality that people are reading too much into

Knowing the source I do feel more inclined to believe it, though I still find the dm wording questionable.

If he really did say that with full knowledge of NDA it’s likely just an inconsequential technicality that people are reading too much into

If he wasn't breaching NDA then I would say that people are interpreting this wrong. If it was really such a bad thing do you think that it wouldn't be part of an NDA?

If something happens to him we will know if it's an NDA breach.

And I hope nobody here prays that he loses his job.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

(Two seperate devs refusing to spill the beans)
I'm confused. Does the PS5 have hardware dedicated RT cores or not🤦🏾‍♂️
Yes Ray tracing is obviously capable and evident in Ratchet and clank, and GT7, but whether or not it Hardware accelerated RT makes a huge difference in performance

And now we are back to 'PS5 has no hardware RT'...

This thread just keeps giving on stupidity.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

(Two seperate devs refusing to spill the beans)
I'm confused. Does the PS5 have hardware dedicated RT cores or not🤦🏾‍♂️
Yes Ray tracing is obviously capable and evident in Ratchet and clank, and GT7, but whether or not it Hardware accelerated RT makes a huge difference in performance

Who do you want to believe. Some indie dev (who I blieve doesn't have access to dev kits) or Mark Cerny and the PS5 games that were showcased?

thelastword

Banned
RDNA4+ confirmed

Be careful with these guys. The XBOX discord have been known to put fake hyped up pieces out there to get Sony fans overhyped, so it might all be a bait which I think they laugh at, when proven not true. This is "new console brand warring" and advanced fudfare tactics...

I'll say this, we know there are a few features Sony has kept under their belt, even a few games. So let them reveal it at the appropriate time and be hyped then. I think we are already satisfied with PS5 as it is.....A great piece of kit, as already demonstrated by the unreal demo and the PS Studios games already shown. Whatever else Sony may have kept under wraps is just gravy, who knows, it may be PSVR or BC for older consoles, but whatever it is, it's just a bonus on an already incredible piece of kit, which all devs are excited about for one reason or the other......

Rea

Lol no sane person would break nda and be proud in such tough economic times to face fine and be let go of job . This whole thing smells fake from xbox discord as per usual . The have done it too many times to believe anything from those guys which odium is a part of .
Maybe the dev guy edited half of the message?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If he wasn't breaching NDA then I would say that people are interpreting this wrong. If it was really such a bad thing do you think that it wouldn't be part of an NDA?

If something happens to him we will know if it's an NDA breach.

And I hope nobody here prays that he loses his job.
As far as i am concerned, he's already lost his job. I dont think he deserves it but i think Sony is not going to tolerate NDA breaches like this.

Before this everyone was under the assumption that ML was a part of Sony's GPU. This was in the 2nd Wired article. Sony would get in a lot of trouble for not issuing a correction to the EA exec talking about ML if this was true. So he's technically gotten Sony in trouble. if the PS5 isnt RDNA 2.0 then Lisa Su would be on the record as a liar. So yeah, i would say everyone from Lisa Su to Mark Cerny and Jim Ryan would be coming for his head. He's fucked.

That said, I dont think this is true. There is clearly enough RDNA 2.0 features here that it qualifies as a RDNA 2.0 card. You cannot get a 2.23 ghz GPU in a console if it doesnt have RDNA 2.0's perf/w efficiencies. You cannot have hardware ray tracing if it doesnt have RDNA 2.0 featureset. And I highly doubt that the EA exec would lie about Sony features that arent in the console. Though it IS possible that Xbox has a slightly different implementation.

The great thing is that in only five days we will know if the games with VRS, DLSS, and fixed clocks will look twice as good as the PS5 exclusives. if everything looks as good as hellblade 2 in realtime then we will have our answer and Sony will be roasted on the internet. I just dont believe thats going to be the case.

I've heard for months 12tflops is the most important metric next gen (despite every dev and his dog saying the SSD is the biggest thing about next gen).

Now MS is releasing a 4tflop console (rumoured) we're being told to ignore teraflops as 'the CPU in Series S is more powerful than PS5's'...

Lol please.
Ceo of amd called it rdna2.

Lol a potentially fake message by one guy who might make a mistake vs ceo of amd .

Tough choice who yo believe.

Lisa su or bunch of xbox fanboys who haven't played a video games in god knows how long 😂😂😂

Hey FUD and specs plus Spencer's muscles and pecks are the best games.

Tiago07

I was searching the Mark Cerny patent that some objects are rendered in other resolutions and I find that.

This patent is from this year !

What do you guys think about it ?

I think this could explain why PS5 can do Ray Tracing in 4K in games like SpiderMan and Ratchet.
And why we can have Native 4K games in consoles without being to heavy, like it would be for PCs.

I was seeing this and Cerny has a lot of patents on it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom