• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
EJEcNFN.png

Disingenuous bullshit in this thread is nothing new.

And H:I is still an xbone game regardless of Microsofts marketing.

But Xbox one wouldn’t hold back games... developers are use to scale games in pc for ages now... Xbox sex will show the true power of next gen...

Oh sweet innocence...

Tripolygon

Banned
It could be poorly optimised, but I really do think it's a limitation of the engine. Here's a clip of the ~1-2 seconds after exiting the map screen:

There's no reason why the XSX can't load this in more efficiently. This and the fact that they're patching in ray tracing makes me think the XSX version is getting shafted by XB1.
That's an older build it seems. Newer build is better but still some pop.
V9fiBBJ.gif

Just look at that SFS and Velocity magic.

Microsoft needs more talented studios, that's why Sony will always have an upper hand in this department.

It was PC footage. So it looks like PC's will have possible LOD problems. But they said it's representative of Series X so maybe Series X will also have LOD problems as seen in the trailer. In the end PS5's I/O throughput might prove far superior.

Sinthor

Gold Member
All I got to say is I really hoped to see more of this

Guess that was all a lie

To be fair, that does say "game engine simulation" so it's like a target render. That being said, it looks basically the quality of the Horizon 2 trailer and that was supposedly "in engine." So these kinds of results SHOULD be possible for both PS5 and XSX this generation...or at least damn close. Right?

Aceofspades

Banned
It was PC footage. So it looks like PC's will have possible LOD problems. But they said it's representative of Series X so maybe Series X will also have LOD problems as seen in the trailer. In the end PS5's I/O throughput might prove far superior.

It's kinda messed up that MS spent a year touting their I/O architecture then all of a sudden decided to show their flagship title running on PC?
I say BS to the PC story .

To be fair, that does say "game engine simulation" so it's like a target render. That being said, it looks basically the quality of the Horizon 2 trailer and that was supposedly "in engine." So these kinds of results SHOULD be possible for both PS5 and XSX this generation...or at least damn close. Right?

I'd say the Horizon 2 trailer looks better than this.

It's kinda messed up that MS spent a year touting their I/O architecture then all of a sudden decided to show their flagship title running on PC?
I say BS to the PC story .

It's running on PC, in the Youtube description it says representative so that would mean not the exact hardware (Series X).

Last edited:

icerock

There must be a lot more to already troubled Halo development. We should learn about it in the coming months but I think they are struggling for time. IIRC, Schreier mentioned about the entire project being rehauled midway through 2018 and now they are on the clock to have it up and ready for launch.

I feel bad for dogging onto 343 as they were the only ones to showcase a decent chunk of gameplay. But, damn if this game doesn't work out, this franchise is dead for good.

yep. i wondered in one of the other threads a couple of weeks ago if Phil was really that clueless.

well the answer is yes. yes, he is that clueless.

Totally not serious but throwing this out in the wild, Klobrille is Spencers' burner account. For real, I usually take all this insider stuff with massive grain of salt. But, him and rest of the cronies tweeting straight after PS5 keynote about Xbox surpassing the FP stuff in July event, I started to believe a little. Never again, though.

whoever81

Oh boy...I had pretty low expectations and I was still disappointed. Next gen 12TF ray tracing graphics! What a joke. I couldn't believe my eyes. Mediocre CGI, almost no gameplay, bad animations and character models.
I am also shocked by the lack of imagination in terms of content, types of games and stories. FPS in space, FPS not in space, generic indie platformers, Forza...Yupeee. What the hell was that man.
Praise Sony our gaming Lord and savior. Microsoft needs intensive therapy or something.

I am pissed! What is happening in movies is happening in games too. Well, for quite a while now. Marvelization? Low effort, lack of creativity, lack of vision etc. It's all the same generic crap with different packaging.
Games need to inspire either with their stories, their gameplay or their presentation. It's the most creative medium there is and they keep making the same machine guns in different planets. What's their target group? Depressed 15 year olds with ADHD?

Last edited:

HAL-01

Of course they should be possible. I was pretty impressed 2 years ago when I thought it was an Xbox One game, but to think the actual next-gen footage looks worse than this is just pitiful.

As I’ve said before it’s a horrible decision by ms to have their “next gen” game designed around a console that failed, in major part, due to being too weak.

Edit: it also says “engine demonstration”, not simulation. It’s the actual engine, and it’s probably what they planned the game to look like before the higher ups told them to make it run on a toaster

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
on the youtube video, they say its representative of Xbox Series X gameplay so they themselves confirmed it was the PC version.

The real problem is that there will be no Halo Infinite sequel. this is a game as a platform. They will have the xbox one 1.3 tflops gpu and jaguar CPU hold back every new piece of Halo software going forward.

What a horrendous idea.
Dude they aren't going to support last gen for an entire decade.

Sinthor

Gold Member
This is 343 a Microsoft 1st party studios that's in charge of producing one of their biggest franchises.

I find it hard to believe they don't have a Series X developer kit. So it is kind of weird that they are showing this on a PC instead of a Series X developer kit.

If it was a 3rd party I can understand why they would do something like they because dev kits can be hard to get at times. But a 1st party studio?

I really don't understand why they made this decision.

Ok, now look, I've said multiple times here that I thought Halo looked good and so did the other stuff. I think it's all fine. BUT...not showing things running on the XSX at this point does make me wonder just a tad bit if some things like that split memory design are causing some difficulties for developers.

I'm not trying to start a FUD war- this is a genuine speculation. I think I've shown I'm more than fair about this stuff. But we saw issues in previous generations when MS did a split bank of memory. I'm not saying that it's something that will doom the box either or even make it so that incredible looking games won't be available for it, because I think that would be ridiculous. If the PS3 for cripes sake was able to have great looking and running games (like Mass Effect which was actually the SUPERIOR VERSION when it finally released) then you KNOW that technical issues and difficulties can be overcome if the hardware has the power to perform in the end. The XSX obviously has enough power to perform very well. I'm just wondering if some things like that- and really the primary thing I can think of is the split memory that we don't KNOW how it actually operates- could be causing some difficulties and thus some delays. Think about the pop in during the Halo demo....when it's really pretty well along in it's development cycle. Could that be a result of something like this? If so.. would it not be fair to assume it will just take some extra time and effort to polish games around those issues until everyone's got the knack of things.

Again, not trying to be a shit-stirrer here. It's just what we're seeing (and not seeing) is making me wonder. Alternatively, could just be a result of Microsoft's major change in tactics. By that I mean how they got rid of most of their development houses and then just a relatively short time ago started acquiring them again. Maybe even teams like 343's that were retained, experienced high turnover, or cut downs that were then reversed, so you have a little bit of an experience gap that needs to be overcome? I dunno.

Bottom line, AGAIN..I think Xbox fans are going to be plenty happy with the XSX and it's games. Also, if you want to be able to buy Halo Infinite to play on your XSX, but also be able to let your kids play it on their Xbox One and not have to buy another XSX oh and be able to play the damn thing on your PHONE when on breaks at work too (which is pretty damn cool!) than Microsoft is the system and ecosystem for you to invest in. It's just going to (I think) cause some issues that have to be worked on in comparison to the way Sony's going. At least for awhile. Is that reasonable speculation or am I completely off base?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
but thats exactly what they said.

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries
Don’t expect a Halo 7 – at least not through the traditional means.

IGN spoke with Halo Infinite Studio Head Chris Lee ahead of today’s long-awaited gameplay reveal of Halo Infinite at the Xbox Games Showcase. During that conversation, Lee revealed that Infinite is the last standalone release for the franchise for the foreseeable future.
“Halo Infinite is the start of our platform for the future,” he said. “We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community.”

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This could still mean that eventually the game won't be updated for Xbox one anymore
doesnt matter. the game's code base will always be tied to jaguar cores unless they release a stand alone SDK which they wont because they want this to grow. they literally said this.

you are reaching.

Oh boy...I had pretty low expectations and I was still disappointed. Next gen 12TF graphics! What a joke. I couldn't believe my eyes. Mediocre CGI, almost no gameplay.
I am also shocked by the lack of imagination in terms of content, type of games and stories. FPS in space, FPS not in space, generic platformers. What the hell was that man.
Praise Sony our gaming Lord and savior. Microsoft needs intensive therapy or something.

AMEN!

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
doesnt matter. the game's code base will always be tied to jaguar cores unless they release a stand alone SDK which they wont because they want this to grow. they literally said this.

you are reaching.
I understand that they want this to grow, but once there are more XSS/XSX gamers than Xbox One gamers they'll drop them, and rewrite core mechanics to support higher end devices.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I'd say the Horizon 2 trailer looks better than this.

It's running on PC, in the Youtube description it says representative so that would mean not the exact hardware (Series X).

Yeah, but I figured it could be art direction and also I haven't seen screenshots blown up for side by side comparison. Bottom line the Halo trailer there looked damn good and I think people would be more than ecstatic if it did in fact represent the quality of gameplay. I don't see why that level isn't achievable with all that these next gen boxes have under the hood. Maybe not at 30fps either, but still. I dunno man. I'm still of the opinion that this was a good showcase for MS overall. I just am a bit puzzled that more gameplay and dates weren't shown and that it wasn't showing things running ON actual XSX hardware. At this stage (late July, so less than 4 months from RELEASE of the hardware) I expect to see a bit more of that. I'd say and expect the same from Sony's next showcase, whatever it is. It BETTER have gameplay from Spiderman Miles Morales, etc. Anyway... I already posted my major speculation and question about the XSX so waiting to see if I'm torn apart or if I might be on the right track.... ;)

JonnyMP3

After rewatching the stream, I kinda get the impression that 'Game Pass' is Microsoft's new 'TV TV TV'
We got games which is always nice...
But as we're all mostly thinking, there's not really a 'System selling must have game!' in any of that line up.
And Halo: Infinite was just plain bad. If you're just going to show a pre-recorded and produced showcase, you could have at least lied a bit and shown a less pop-in demo...

DaGwaphics

But Xbox one wouldn’t hold back games... developers are use to scale games in pc for ages now... Xbox sex will show the true power of next gen...

Oh sweet innocence...

Hardy har har. With Halo, it just seems like the studio is approaching it like traditional cross-gen, and not putting too much effort into the XSX version. It's unfortunate, I'd hopped they would do what 3rd parties don't and have enhancements in models and effects for the XSX. Though, I guess they will add the RT at a later date. The scope of the game and logic would be the same, but I thought they would double down on visual upgrades for next-gen. If for no other reason than to sell the new console.

My crystal ball is obviously very cloudy. :messenger_beaming:

Rudius

Here is a Halo fan's sincere live-reaction to the Halo gameplay bit. Most people don't care as much about graphics as us here - or more so, actually due to being such a fan of a certain franchise is completely unable to see anything wrong with it. Dude almost cries from the get-go, and when the actual gameplay starts he is blown away.

I guess this is just a showcase of people seeing what they want to see. Undoubtedly goes for both sides.

Sinthor

Gold Member

I would think that too....but it IS the way they're saying they want to go. I mean, if they mean seriously to make the games playable on your mobile phone as well...why couldn't they still support Xbox One? So if they're serious, I don't see why they couldn't support last gen for the entire time.

HAVE they confirmed that their "platform" support will only go back as far as Xbox One and will definitely not include 360, etc.? I just haven't read anything about that. I would assume not because that seems like madness to me....but I also assume it would be TECHNICALLY feasible...

Unbelievable! So Sony managed to get almost all their games running with ray tracing despite ps5 being RDNA 1 and RT being a last minute panic mode ad on in response to the powerful x box sex alien specs..

And MS that had from the beginning the true next gen machine x box sex based on true RDNA 2, 12 tf compute power and far more RT capabilities can’t even show hallo running in it and not even with RT effects.. they need to patch them later...

Hmmmm it seems some guys have been living in a bubble... the awakening must be painful..

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Unbelievable! So Sony managed to get almost all their games running with ray tracing despite ps5 being RDNA 1 and RT being a last minute panic mode ad on in response to the powerful x box sex alien specs..

And MS that had from the beginning the true next gen machine x box sex based on true RDNA 2, 12 tf compute power and far more RT capabilities can’t even show hallo running in it and not even with RT effects.. they need to patch them later...

Hmmmm it seems some guys have been living in a bubble... the awakening must be tough..

If microsoft spent as much time on their games as they do with all their Pr, namely gampass, works best on xbox, world first premier, the world most powerful console bla bla bla they would be killing it with they quality of the games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think Spencer will be quite pleased

He's always believed gaming brings people together, and there's nothing like good old memes to get the job done
Wait that's why he said he didn't like console war (after throwing so much shade at sony ) he knew they would get piled on for this masquerade of a gameshow. He anticipated worded differently might sound like '' please be nice when we'll shit the bed... Again. ''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom