• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

From purexbox.com:
----------------
Yesterday gave us the highly-anticipated gameplay reveal of Halo Infinite, and while it's generally gone down very well, some have suggested that the game's visuals maybe aren't as impressive as they expected.

GM of Xbox Games Marketing Aaron Greenberg was questioned about this in a livestream with Inside Gaming yesterday, and gave his thoughts surrounding some of the negative feedback for the game's graphics:

"I mean, listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic, it's July, we're far from holiday. You're seeing a work-in-progress game. With that said, you probably watched the stream in 1080p (maybe), so we have put up a 4K/60fps on-demand stream, so I'd say go back and look at the game in 4K/60... it's very hard to show the full power and graphic fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream."
The Microsoft exec also went on to confirm that he's actually played Halo Infinite's multiplayer, explaining that he's seen the game in 4K, and that it's going to be a a visual showcase for Xbox Series X:

"The other thing I'll just say is, it is a work-in-progress, so what you're seeing today - we see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and this holiday, it's just going to get better and better. With that said, I thought it looked great, I thought it sounded great..."
"I have also looked at it in 4K, so that makes a difference. I'd encourage you to go back and look at the 4K, and trust us that when you play it this holiday, it's going to be a visual showcase for Xbox Series X."
----------------------
Yes, yes. The reason the brute looks like ass is because we saw it at 1080p.

FUCK. THE FUCK. OFF.

Last edited:
So after sleeping on it. I'm still so shocked at how the writing was on the wall, show gameplay. They hyped the power and tech up for months and months to show Halo, I was not impressive at all- E3 2018 trailer was night and day different.

I'm tired of the PR spin from Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg. All the tweets of BS from 60FPS standards and 2 years of 1P games coming to Xbox One and Series X. Now maybe not... So much backpedaling at Microsoft. How can this being happening again or just continuing? I've always been a fan of gaming and I buy all the consoles at some point. But I will be getting a PS5 at launch and maybe decide down the road for a Series X. I feel bad for the studio teams, I know they have been working hard but they must be rushing everything to compete with Sony. I had a lot of hope that Xbox would be back to OG and 360 days, tons of great looking games.

I'm currently a member of GamePass and I have enjoyed it but I'm not looking forward to the Series X at all after this event. I'm asking myself should I cancel it. Only looking forward to playing Halo and I'll just get the down graded version on the One X.
If you are into high fps, keep your game pass and build a good PC. New GPUs coming end of the year. Mid range RTX 3070 should be on the level of RTX 2080ti with even better RT and DLSS. It will be also better than both next gen consoles at least for 3rd party and XGS games. It should do 4k60

Elog

This guy is an idiot.

The interesting thing about his statement is that it is not even remotely correct without context. Both shaders are perfectly fine shaders but interact with the geometry differently and use different amount of resources in doing so.

Now the caveat: Everything points in the direction that Sony has done quite a lot of customisation work on the geometry engine with quite some prioritisation already happening there which means that the last paragraph is thrown totally up in the air in terms of shader output and resource use.

Dictator/Alex should know this and comes across as wilfully ignorant given how he phrased his answer.

Last edited:

By-mission

Alguém, eu tenho a primeira jogabilidade Infinity popin ...
LFt5FHK.jpg

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Moore Law is an aggregator, he finds stuff from this forum, and rest of the internet. Then tries to pass them off as their own by citing imaginary sources. Consoles are already in production, they aren't changing memory configuration this late, the contract for 14Gbps modules were inked months if not years ago.

As for Dictator, he's one of the those people who say very little despite talking a lot of technical jargon. I'll never forget him jumping into a conversation about SSD, how they won't be changing game-designs fundamentally only to be corrected by other devs including a former technical dev at ND. He quickly back-peddled and whined for bans when posters delivered the receipts. No matter how hard he tries to pretend to be a neutral, the elitist in him always rear its head.
I said exactly this a while back on the thread and kinda got attacked for it. I'm trying to be fair to the dude but he only every reports information after it's already been revealed by someone else, a good example is the RDNA 3 stuff, it was clear he heard it from Paul RGT but Tom passed it off like he had some exclusive info.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I said exactly this a while back on the thread and kinda got attacked for it. I'm trying to be fair to the dude but he only every reports information after it's already been revealed by someone else, a good example is the RDNA 3 stuff, it was clear he heard it from Paul RGT but Tom passed it off like he had some exclusive info.
However I would add that the rumours he has heard about the God of War sequel reveal and the unknown Sony IP came from the same source who told about the Xbox reveal and that included Fable and other games and that this source has been accurate in the past.

qiqiqiiq

However I would add that the rumours he has heard about the God of War sequel reveal and the unknown Sony IP came from the same source who told about the Xbox reveal and that included Fable and other games and that this source has been accurate in the past.
I hope the God of War stuff is real, that game and Horizon Forbidden West are the exclusives I'm most excited about for PS5.

Rudius

excellent post and 100% agreed.

Don Mattrick gets a lot of hate, some of it rightfully so - he was way too early on the digital only requirements, and placed far too much emphasis on Kinect.

That being said, he still managed to at least have an exciting start to X1. Crytek delivered a true next gen showcase with Ryse In 2013 that shockingly still looks better than Halo in 2020. Titanfall was a huge exclusive for them. He got insomniac as you said.

He was going after big studios to try and deliver AAA content. Phil has been a disaster in comparison. Afraid of new IP, hyper focused on engagement metrics and bean counting rather than focusing on worthwhile content.

Xbox Series X is good hardware, but unless you looked at a spec sheet you wouldn’t know it. It doesn’t even feel like a next gen console. Same UI. Same controller. Same last gen games. Who the fuck is he selling this to? As bad as the Xbox One was, at least it felt like the launch of a new gen. There’s zero reason to get an XSX unless you are mesmerized by teraflop numbers. Halo infinite is going to look like garbage at 1080p or 4k.

Worst of all, Microsoft still has more bad news to announce when they reveal Lockhart. Their messaging and marketing is completely batshit crazy. Phil only says the crazy shit that he does to hide the failures of his strategy. It’s indefensible

who the hell launches not one but TWO new consoles with only games that are indistinguishable from last gen?
I was thinking about this and have to admit: Xbox One, with all it’s problems, had a better launch then Series X will have.

One had games at and near the release of the console: Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct, Ryse: Son of Rome; some months latter: Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall.

Also, the PS4 had a relatively weak first year, caused in great part by the strong PS3 support in 2013, but this time Sony is much stronger in terms of first party right out of the gate.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

So RedGamingTech is dropping a big video tomorrow on the PS5 in which he's also going to be talking about information which he has heard from sources, my guess is a lot of this will be covering the PS5 APU customisations which include the Geometry Engine, RDNA 3, VRS and Ray-tracing. Really looking forward to it.

Ptarmiganx2

I also hope now folks can stop lapping up Phils PR, so much about disliking money-hatting? Only to lock ton of timed exclusives themselves.

Not really, they have acquired all types. The problem is (which I've been talking about for months) is that none of these studios have had enough time to push out a next-gen only title in next 2-3 years. It's all in early development, which is apparent by the use of CG trailers. Don't pick on em, but rather MS, they had 5 years to prepare for this launch. When you're hiring and building a studio in 2018, there's simply not enough time to build big budget titles in a 2 year time-frame. These acquisitions should have happened earlier.

MS know this, hence so many 'console launch exclusives' they have locked out.
Xbox fans have given them a 5 year pass on new game releases, now we are tacking on and additional 2-3 years? I’m glad I‘m a Sony gamer, I can’t wait eight years for new titles.

DeepSpace5D

Wonder if he'll chuckle every two seconds with that usual condescending attitude when he's commenting on PS games.

On their analysis of the PS5 event, Alex was going out of his way to nitpick any flaws he could find in the Sony games, pointing out scenes in Ratchet & Clank where some surfaces were missing ray-traced reflections and things of that nature. He pointed out in the Horizon: Forbidden West analysis one scene(!) where the foliage didn‘t move properly when a robot animal fell on the ground, iirc.

They may have been valid criticisms and it’s fine to do a very scrupulous job and point them out. But he must also hold the Halo: Infinite analysis to that same high standard if he wants to retain any shred of credibility from me personally. If he starts putting the spin on, acting like an apologist and making excuses for the game while at the same time holding PS5 games to an extremely high standard, then I think I will be completely done with Digital Foundry as a company. They might not all be obviously biased like Alex, but you are as good as the company you keep. There are other companies I can go to for tech analysis.

qiqiqiiq

On their analysis of the PS5 event, Alex was going out of his way to nitpick any flaws he could find in the Sony games, pointing out scenes in Ratchet & Clank where some surfaces were missing ray-traced reflections and things of that nature. He pointed out in the Horizon: Forbidden West analysis one scene(!) where the foliage didn‘t move properly when a robot animal fell on the ground, iirc.

They may have been valid criticisms and it’s fine to do a very scrupulous job and point them out. But he must also hold the Halo: Infinite analysis to that same high standard if he wants to retain any shred of credibility from me personally. If he starts putting the spin on, acting like an apologist and making excuses for the game while at the same time holding PS5 games to an extremely high standard, then I think I will be completely done with Digital Foundry as a company. They might not all be obviously biased like Alex, but you are as good as the company you keep. There are other companies I can go to for tech analysis.
I completely skip a video as soon as I hear Alex speaking, maybe because he reminds me to a lot of PC Elitist I have come across over the years, even thought I mainly use my PC to play I can't stand a lot of these so called "master race" guys, but I have no problem with John or Tom's videos from Digital Foundry.

Reficul

I'm really baffled that MS didn't show games actually running on xbox series x. Or did I miss something?
It's getting real close to release and not much of anything has been shown running on the new 12tf powerhouse console.

I just find it strange. Not trying to fuel any console war.

yewles1

To my mind all of this makes it absolutely CRITICAL for Microsoft to show the world that 3rd party multi-platform games will run significantly better on the XSX in order to hold people on their platform until they have more XSX exclusives ready. If they can't show a clear advantage that running those games on XSX gives, then they will have an even bigger challenge this generation.
Considering how much smaller the gap is compared to last gen, don't count on it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So what is Sony holding back to fire back at MS.
Holding back? Horizon showing alone was better than Micros conference. They need to not even show God of War 2 which we all know they have, if thy do micro will commit seppuku but then again thy are not honorable (sorry ppl Ghost of T has me talking different lol. Tht game is 🔥🔥)

Next thing up is Sony's teardown which we are dying to see this kraken in action.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Was there really anyone who thought that a game marked as 4k on the 1X would not be 4K on PS5? I find it hard to believe at face value.

I know...but believe it or not, there WERE people who at least SAID they believed this. Not just the guy who claimed the XSX would average 40 or so more FPS than the PS5 on multi-platform titles either.

From purexbox.com:
----------------
Yesterday gave us the highly-anticipated gameplay reveal of Halo Infinite, and while it's generally gone down very well, some have suggested that the game's visuals maybe aren't as impressive as they expected.

GM of Xbox Games Marketing Aaron Greenberg was questioned about this in a livestream with Inside Gaming yesterday, and gave his thoughts surrounding some of the negative feedback for the game's graphics:

The Microsoft exec also went on to confirm that he's actually played Halo Infinite's multiplayer, explaining that he's seen the game in 4K, and that it's going to be a a visual showcase for Xbox Series X:

----------------------
Yes, yes. The reason the brute looks like ass is because we saw it at 1080p.

FUCK. THE FUCK. OFF.

This guy still believes 4K 60fps = next gen graphics.

There's nothing next gen about this:

h1.jpg

h5.jpg

FranXico

I know...but believe it or not, there WERE people who at least SAID they believed this. Not just the guy who claimed the XSX would average 40 or so more FPS than the PS5 on multi-platform titles either.
Yes, the argument was that with next-gen assets, the PS5 would not be able to render at 4K, while the glorious SeX would do so without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom