• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Kinda Funny Games posted this earlier today and had Imran Khan on while they talked about what's coming next for both PS and Xbox. Imran knows a fair bit about what's coming for both companies and gave some insight for to expect. I'll go over what he said because other than him, no one else contributed anything worth spending time on imo.

General Stuff:

- To the surprise of no one, both companies have big events this month. We'll get hardware, UI, price, date, preorder details. Just confirming what we all know.
- Also don't expect the companies to show absolutely all their cards in August. Should be obvious but in case that is what people are expecting.
On Xbox:

- Microsoft still has more software to show
- Has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that". Isn't sure whether or not these games will be shown in August event or later this year.
- Microsoft's major remaining reveals for the rest of the year seem to be first party titles.
- Microsoft may have some additional third party games marketed with them, but the majority are with Playstation. He suggests this is due to a mixture of Sony's market dominance and major publishers not really wanting to engage with Gamepass.
- The only third party exclusive he could see Microsoft having is a new Dead Rising game. (Noteworthy because he treats this as speculation, but he's "speculated" about this so many times this year that it makes me think he might be subtly hinting that this is in fact happening.

On PS5:

- Also has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that" moments that he's surprised Sony is still holding on to closely.
- Sony has a ton of third party support, mixture of both exclusives and just marketing rights, that they haven't revealed yet. He's surprised Sony still hasn't revealed them all and has managed to keep them close to the vest. (Should be some more console launch exclusives like Project Athia and the Bethesda games, and marketing deals like CoD).
- About whether or not Sony showed the extant of its major third party support in the June event: "There's more. They're holding onto some things that I'm really surprised that they're holding onto, and I would be shocked if they showed them soon".
- Many of Sony's first party studios are well underway with PS5 projects. Not necessarily 2+ years away.
- He reiterates the tweet he had about Sony back in June. He says that Sony has invested significantly in having a monster first year+.
- He thinks the Ps5's launch will be reminiscent of the Nintendo Switch's first year of nonstop quality content before slowing down. He doesn't think that PS5 content will slow down quite to the extent that Switch has since the first waves has ended but that "after about 16 months or so, it will become a more traditional console generation".
- About Sony's first party studios he says "They're in a good position to have their studios ready to launch major things over the next (pauses) 16 months".

it was clear that he was picking his words carefully throughout the episode to make sure he doesn't spoil anything and seemed to be amused while listening to the other 3 speculate. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead!

No disrespect to Imran but that’s a lot of nothing. It could be a GAF member guess post. It reminds me of fortune tellers predicting your future.

ArcaneNLSC

I'm coming prepared this time, let me introduce the PlayStation Hype Express
Bookings will begin soon
in8vei1.png

Maybe.... depends, when is the event?
By the way , there has been reportings of a stowaway on board, do not be alarmed.

Here is a train that closely resembles the PS5
0ri3Mp9.jpg

Nickolaidas

That's going to be interesting. I get why people would like to know what is up at that studio, given what they showed last week
People can say whatever they want about XSX, Halo, exclusives and whatnot ... I say, you do NOT give a budget of 500 million with the result looking like Halo Infinite and NOT having something going wrong in there.

$299 XsX and $199 XsS....my bet.
Nah, my bet is that they'll be giving them away for free.

No need for bank account, I think? I'm using a US account since day one on PS4 as my Omani account got frozen for some strange reason (Oman, Romania, Cyprus, Bahrain and two other countries) had complications for store and so. Well, I can use it now but I'm already ok using that one, put my old address in Virginia. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Didn't try PS Now though, and if something interesting there its either I bought it already or not my taste, it's a problem with monthly PS Plus free games as well as most of the ones that interest me I own already except few like Detroit and Shadow of Colossus.
PSNOW will not work out side of USA. Same for the movies and shoes.

Neo Blaster

I bet some random site will see us getting onboard a hype train, and turn it into a click baity title "Is Sony up to something? NeoGaf thinks so!" Click here to find out..

While we here at NeoGaf are just having a laugh and havent got a clue what Sony is announcing or when.
To be fair, last time many boarded the train even before the first date was set.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

It's a site for press related assets. Potentially get review codes as it asks about the outlet you work for. I went and tried to register. Maybe my music/media credentials will work :messenger_grimmacing_

I haven't kept track, .. has this person EVER had anything actually be right or prove he's an insider. Lately, .. everything is coming up bullshit!

saintjules

I haven't kept track, .. has this person EVER had anything actually be right or prove he's an insider. Lately, .. everything is coming up bullshit!

Yeah, nothing noteworthy except for the supposed June 11th date for PS5 reveal. And then Grubb said shortly thereafter he was credible in some fashion.

I just thought his recent tweet was funny by trying to show 'credibility'. Tidux actually showed that he was able to login too. So you can guess where that was going lol.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Kinda Funny Games posted this earlier today and had Imran Khan on while they talked about what's coming next for both PS and Xbox. Imran knows a fair bit about what's coming for both companies and gave some insight for to expect. I'll go over what he said because other than him, no one else contributed anything worth spending time on imo.

General Stuff:

- To the surprise of no one, both companies have big events this month. We'll get hardware, UI, price, date, preorder details. Just confirming what we all know.
- Also don't expect the companies to show absolutely all their cards in August. Should be obvious but in case that is what people are expecting.
On Xbox:

- Has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that". Isn't sure whether or not these games will be shown in August event or later this year.
- Microsoft's major remaining reveals for the rest of the year seem to be first party titles.
- Microsoft may have some additional third party games marketed with them, but the majority are with Playstation. He suggests this is due to a mixture of Sony's market dominance and major publishers not really wanting to engage with Gamepass.
- The only third party exclusive he could see Microsoft having is a new Dead Rising game. (Noteworthy because he treats this as speculation, but he's "speculated" about this so many times this year that it makes me think he might be subtly hinting that this is in fact happening.

On PS5:

- Also has things that are "Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that" moments that he's surprised Sony is still holding on to closely.
- Sony has a ton of third party support, mixture of both exclusives and just marketing rights, that they haven't revealed yet. He's surprised Sony still hasn't revealed them all and has managed to keep them close to the vest. (Should be some more console launch exclusives like Project Athia and the Bethesda games, and marketing deals like CoD).
- About whether or not Sony showed the extant of its major third party support in the June event: "There's more. They're holding onto some things that I'm really surprised that they're holding onto, and I would be shocked if they showed them soon".
- Many of Sony's first party studios are well underway with PS5 projects. Not necessarily 2+ years away.
- He reiterates the tweet he had about Sony back in June. He says that Sony has invested significantly in having a monster first year+.
- He thinks the Ps5's launch will be reminiscent of the Nintendo Switch's first year of nonstop quality content before slowing down. He doesn't think that PS5 content will slow down quite to the extent that Switch has since the first waves has ended but that "after about 16 months or so, it will become a more traditional console generation".
- About Sony's first party studios he says "They're in a good position to have their studios ready to launch major things over the next (pauses) 16 months".

it was clear that he was picking his words carefully throughout the episode to make sure he doesn't spoil anything and seemed to be amused while listening to the other 3 speculate. Should be an interesting few weeks ahead!

Whilst I do believe that Microsoft still has more software to show, if they have anything “oh shit” (and first year) left in the bag then they are more incompetent than I thought - to have had two dud presentations with nothing first party looking great and running on Series X. Tbh I just don’t believe that they’ve got much else coming that is going to come soon, and ultimately I just don’t think Series X will hit its stride until 2022 when you start to see Avowed, Halo, Fable, etc.

I do believe Sony's strategy for PS5 launch is pretty much as described, you can see it in action already and it is reminiscent of how the tackled the PS One launch for those old enough to remember how that went. We do know that there are studios and teams that haven’t shown anything despite all the first party stuff they’ve already shown.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah, nothing noteworthy except for the supposed June 11th date for PS5 reveal. And then Grubb said shortly thereafter he was credible in some fashion.

I just thought his recent tweet was funny by trying to show 'credibility'.

I did too if I'm being honest. I mean. This guy, in pure theory, might have heard a Sony event was going on on August 6th, and one indeed is happening. He just assumed it was Playstation related. The problem with that theory is .. He's been flat out wrong on multiple occasions, and then says nothing after. Just.. goes radio silent. Yet.. people still quote the guy.

saintjules

I did too if I'm being honest. I mean. This guy, in pure theory, might have heard a Sony event was going on on August 6th, and one indeed is happening. He just assumed it was Playstation related. The problem with that theory is .. He's been flat out wrong on multiple occasions, and then says nothing after. Just.. goes radio silent. Yet.. people still quote the guy.

I guess for him he's got great marketing lol. Even got me quoting his tweet. Guess that will be the last one.

Freeman

Banned

General Stuff:

On Xbox:

On PS5:

Which games can MS show at this point? They have The Initiative game that is probably even further from release than what they have already shown.

"Holy shit I can't believe they're showing that", at this point only a few games could generate a reaction like that, something like FFXVI tease or something.

MS already shown multiple 2022 and beyond games, looks like people are setting themselves up for major disappointment again.

Sony at least might have some realistic big reveals like a GoW sequel, Uncharted spin-off, new Kojima game, ND's multiplayer game, rumored Silent Hill and so on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
From people I know who works in Microsoft (not Xbox) the company is really a good place to work and we
don't heard any similar problem from other studios.

I think the could be more a local problem probably the studio start making its game as the biggest Halo but still be a normal
game for Xbox one/Xbox one X (not a game as service) but then someone of Xbox head say lets change this game also we
need this game be dev for the Anaconda project and just the studio was not ready for that but is almost impossible to say
not to your boss when they already promise that.
Yeah but working for a FAANG is different then at a game studio though. Different targets, environment and culture

dwish

Nope.. seems to be big secret.. the one theory that was out there was the OS will use the SSD instead and free up the 16 gigs of ram for games, or use very small amount of the 16 gigs, like 1 gig and rest runs off the SSD.. just talking out my ass, hope we know soon.

General Stuff:

On Xbox:

On PS5:

Hope this is true as it sounds awesome! Is he reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom