• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Nah, that’s not true.
Console still has the better looking games.
Higher framerate / resolution on multiplats doesn’t mean it’s better than exclusives with better overall graphics.

There is nothing that has better "overall" graphics on the PS4 games (because that's what system you are talking about).

Why is it that Sony fans rely so heavily on ND, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrella Games to try to prove their case that those games do more technically than any other piece of hardware out there? You guys mention the PC hardware is under utilitized but yet can't come up with a use-case where code written for a 2080Ti would look vastly better. And then you shun ray-tracing (especially supporting sampling of area lights and using importance sampling) and dismiss it as an "add on" with no visible difference compared to baked lighting and shading? Why? Because it's not done on the Sony PS? I feel like we are back in early PS4 days again.

VAL0R

Banned
If Xbox Scarlett is even slightly less powerful than PS5 I think that will be a huge blow to the credibility of the Xbox brand. After a generation of being notably underpowered (not counting the fantastic X1X mid-gen reboot), and dominated in sales by Sony, Xbox needs to make a show of force. Phil laid these expectations down when he said that Xbox will reclaim the power crown with X1X and that they have every intention of keeping it that way going forward. MS dwarfs Sony's resources and they undoubtedly have the power to make this happen. If they don't, it will be a really bad look, imo. And I say this as an Xbro.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Do tell, i'm eager to know.

Again you tell me how a AAA game would look like running 8k on a next gen machine, the details and the frames must be outstanding.

You mean those console based games ports :pie_roffles: ?
What's the difference ? some extra grass popping or ray tracing, fps etc...(that i mentioned above) , still missed the point that it STILL looks like a current gen game, nothing special.

Like those Nvidia games you mentioned, nothing special, give me something that bests GOW.

You know i mentioned those Demos people post on youtube using Nvidia right ?
since you said

and i replied, they should look like those photo realistic Demos of unreal on the web.

I tell you what. Let's see how the PS5 games will look when compared to the PC when the PC gets the exclusives implemented this upcoming gen. We can start with any game that's released on the PS5 that already is supported by the PC. Let's use Control, Cyberpunk, Metro:Exodus and any other game using Nvidia's RTX to compare how "close" the PS5 is with it's ray-tracing implementation.

When HZD 2 comes on the PC, we can compare that as well with the PS5.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

There is nothing that has better "overall" graphics on the PS4 games (because that's what system you are talking about).

Why is it that Sony fans rely so heavily on ND, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrella Games to try to prove their case that those games do more technically than any other piece of hardware out there? You guys mention the PC hardware is under utilitized but yet can't come up with a use-case where code written for a 2080Ti would look vastly better. And then you shun ray-tracing (especially supporting sampling of area lights and using importance sampling) and dismiss it as an "add on" with no visible difference compared to baked lighting and shading? Why? Because it's not done on the Sony PS? I feel like we are back in early PS4 days again.

Don’t forget Sony Bend too. There is nothing on PC as good looking and doing as much as Days Gone. As for the use case, you’ll get that when next-gen games are demoed and still running comfortably on the 2080TI.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Don’t forget Sony Bend too. There is nothing on PC as good looking and doing as much as Days Gone. As for the use case, you’ll get that when next-gen games are demoed and still running comfortably on the 2080TI.

Let's just jump straight to it... do you believe that Days Gone is technically better than any recent PC multiplat game out on Max settings and/or RTX enabled?

Another question, are you telling me that you are convinced that a PS5's AMD GPU will rival a 2080Ti in power and technical abilities ? IOW, a GPU with the performance of a 1080 will be on the same playing field as a 2080Ti GPU?

bitbydeath

Let's just jump straight to it... do you believe that Days Gone is technically better than any recent PC multiplat game out on Max settings and/or RTX enabled?

Another question, are you telling me that you are convinced that a PS5's AMD GPU will rival a 2080Ti in power and technical abilities ? IOW, a GPU with the performance of a 1080 will be on the same playing field as a 2080Ti GPU?

Graphically yes, it can also have over 500 enemies on screen at once.

It’ll exceed it in terms of output just like how PS4 is currently exceeding it now because no devs code directly for it. If they did then it’d be like what sonomamashine sonomamashine had said and be at least a generation beyond and not just the current status quo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You're arguing with people who'd claim Uncharted 1 running at 720p and "up to 30 fps" is a visual tour de force.

The good old tactic of: [It's an exclusive game, so there isn't a better PC version to compare to]

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It’ll exceed it in terms of output just like how PS4 is currently exceeding it now because no devs code directly for it. If they did then it’d be like what sonomamashine sonomamashine had said and be at least a generation beyond and not just the current status quo.
Big deal. On PC, there's those battle simulators with something like 20,000 enemies at once, all moving and using AI to fight each other. Even on good PCs, it can make it bend at the knee running sluggish. PS4 would probably run it at 2 fps.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

This is completely false.

500 enemies is nothing but a technique called "instancing". It is not demanding like you think it is. The game only need to render unique triangles for 1 zombie and then it can use that same vertex information to transform it multiple times. It hardly takes up any VRAM because it's using the same vertex data.

And can you really ask yourself that a 1.5TFLOP GPU can outperform a 13TFLOP GPU with it's own 11G VRAM? Does that really make sense to you? Really?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You're arguing with people who'd claim Uncharted 1 running at 720p and "up to 30 fps" is a visual tour de force.

The good old tactic of: [It's an exclusive game, so there isn't a better PC version to compare to]

I see. I guess I'll have to ignore them then. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I thought ERA was bad. Well, at least we don't have Sony mods banning you for trying to convince these guys that they are seeing through rose-colored glasses.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see. I guess I'll have to ignore them then. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I thought ERA was bad. Well, at least we don't have Sony mods banning you for trying to convince these guys that they are seeing through rose-colored glasses.
In any of these console vs. PC wars, it goes like this for hardcore console supporters. Take your pick.

Scenario 1 (exclusive game tactic)
PC gamer: Ok, I've got a decent rig, let's choose a game to compare.

Console gamer: Let's choose this console exclusive game. I'm going to claim it's better because it has some quirky art or scene that is cool, which no PC game can compare against. You can't think of a game that can do this? Too bad. Console wins

Scenario 2 (same game tactic 1)

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. So you got to reduce your res to 1080p, set all sliders to medium quality, turn off rtx and any other unique graphic settings, cap your frame rate at 30 fps. Now we can compare. Hey, it looks the same. Console wins because it's cheaper.

Scenario 3 (same game tactic 2)

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. Of course it will be better. But jokes on you because only an idiot would pay $100s more for better cpu and gpu for things you won't notice anyway. A console at $400 is better value for the buck. Games at 1080p-1440p at 30 fps is all you need. You don't need 4k, high frame rates or special gpu enhanced visuals. What are you? A condor with perfect vision? You wasted your money. Console wins.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

In any of these console vs. PC wars, it goes like this for hardcore console supporters. Take your pick.

Console gamer: Let's choose this console exclusive game. I'm going to claim it's better because it has some quirky art or scene that is cool, which no PC game can compare against. You can't think of a game that can do this? Too bad. Console wins

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. So you got to reduce your res to 1080p, set all sliders to medium quality, turn off rtx and any other unique graphic settings, cap your frame rate at 30 fps.

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. Of course it will be better. But jokes on you because only an idiot would pay $100s more for better cpu and gpu for things you won't notice anyway. A console at $400 is better value for the buck.

Nobody is saying that multi-plats aren't better on PC.
PC is obviously stronger, it is just not being used to it's fullest potential due to the baseline.

Here's some pics of Days Gone from their twitter feed. Feel free to post some screens of PC games with comparable details and graphics.

EF6Gt7HWwAA5riR.jpg

EF0ZWGvWoAcrD0i.jpg

EFk0cBjUcAAVAP8.jpg

EFeYW3JX4AAJ1t6.jpg

EFeYY9OXUAEiqqR.jpg

EENf5rOXsAE37bS.jpg

TeamGhobad

Banned
there were rumors ps5 was using navi and had exclusivity to do so since they helped with development. could mean nexbox is being forced to use vega.

Did you play it? I thought it was one of the best games this gen.

Personally, I thought it was too long and I have yet to finish it. Much like Alien: Isolation, I felt there was a logical point at which the game should've ended, but for some reason the devs felt the need to pad things out.

Alien: Isolation - should've ended after the xenomorph was jettisoned from the station, into the gas giant.
Days Gone - should've ended when Iron Mike took Deek to ride south.
But the above are just my own opinions.

Would these specs and this price annoy people?

CPU: 8 core / 16 threads @ 3.2Ghz
GPU: 1080 ti+ (with some form of raytracing)
RAM: 20GB (16GB + 4GB OS)
1 TB SSD
£399 ($499 USD)

The 1080TI is rather a powerful card, so for the PS5 to be running better than that would be pretty sweet..? Maybe?

I certainly think those that think we'll be getting 2080 performance are kidding themselves (and the performance is about 50% better than the leaked Gonzalo scores).

Imtjnotu

1 TB SSD
£399 ($499 USD)

The 1080TI is rather a powerful card, so for the PS5 to be running better than that would be pretty sweet..? Maybe?

I certainly think those that think we'll be getting 2080 performance are kidding themselves (and the performance is about 50% better than the leaked Gonzalo scores).
Day fucking one

llien

Uh, but Horizon? God of War? Can you pick a single PC game that can show something even remotely close to that, on a 7870?

ZFaZtWR.jpg

I'm not a dev game developer, but isn't it obvious that optimizing your code/visuals for a CONCRETE system ends up using resources more effectively, than a generic "slider" approach? There are so many things one could do, optimizing geometry/textures even AI power.

And it isn't true, that it applies only to exclusives. It makes perfect sense for cross platform developers with big enough budgets to NOT ignore tens of millions of users running exactly the same hardware.

It will have 5700-ish GPU and with console "magic" mentioned above, it will drop jaws
I don't know why people keep bringing in unrealistic targets. 1080Ti consumes close to 300W on its own.

VAL0R

Banned
PC is obviously stronger, it is just not being used to it's fullest potential due to the baseline.

Here's some pics of Days Gone from their twitter feed. Feel free to post some screens of PC games with comparable details and graphics.

EF6Gt7HWwAA5riR.jpg
The zombies look odd to me. Is there a fictional reason why they are all bald and white? To your point, there is no denying this is visually impressive (far more than State of Decay 2, a game I sunk a lot of hours into),

bitbydeath

The zombies look odd to me. Is there a fictional reason why they are all bald and white? To your point, there is no denying this is visually impressive (far more than State of Decay 2, a game I sunk a lot of hours into),

Yeah, it’s mentioned half-way or so through that it’s a symptom of the virus mutation.

If Xbox Scarlett is even slightly less powerful than PS5 I think that will be a huge blow to the credibility of the Xbox brand. After a generation of being notably underpowered (not counting the fantastic X1X mid-gen reboot), and dominated in sales by Sony, Xbox needs to make a show of force. Phil laid these expectations down when he said that Xbox will reclaim the power crown with X1X and that they have every intention of keeping it that way going forward. MS dwarfs Sony's resources and they undoubtedly have the power to make this happen. If they don't, it will be a really bad look, imo. And I say this as an Xbro.
That MS is less powerful than Sony talk is pointless, we still know nothing on that matter.
I tell you what. Let's see how the PS5 games will look when compared to the PC when the PC gets the exclusives implemented this upcoming gen. We can start with any game that's released on the PS5 that already is supported by the PC. Let's use Control, Cyberpunk, Metro:Exodus and any other game using Nvidia's RTX to compare how "close" the PS5 is with it's ray-tracing implementation.

When HZD 2 comes on the PC, we can compare that as well with the PS5.
Are you straight about this gen that it still looks the same, you good right ?
Same thing might happen next gen.

-We are not debating that, current gen (graphics) games look like Pc games with extra fps and bushes popping... (details)
-No Ps5 GPU wont rival 2080Ti, but 2080Ti will run the SAME game (graphics) with extra fps etc...

?? what ?
And can you really ask yourself that a 1.5TFLOP GPU can outperform a 13TFLOP GPU with it's own 11G VRAM? Does that really make sense to you? Really?
No 1,5tf cant outperform 13tf GPU, no that doesnt make sense to me.

Ok, still didn't convinced me of anything you said about PC not being underperforming.

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. So you got to reduce your res to 1080p, set all sliders to medium quality, turn off rtx and any other unique graphic settings, cap your frame rate at 30 fps. Now we can compare. Hey, it looks the same. Console wins because it's cheaper.

Console gamer: Let's choose this game. But since your PC costs more, it's not a fair comparison. Of course it will be better. But jokes on you because only an idiot would pay $100s more for better cpu and gpu for things you won't notice anyway. A console at $400 is better value for the buck. Games at 1080p-1440p at 30 fps is all you need. You don't need 4k, high frame rates or special gpu enhanced visuals. What are you? A condor with perfect vision? You wasted your money. Console wins.
Bruuuh, didn't read that ridiculous paragraph, guess you missed the subject we debating.
there were rumors ps5 was using navi and had exclusivity to do so since they helped with development. could mean nexbox is being forced to use vega.
Sorry but no.

1 TB SSD
£399 ($499 USD)

Those spec's make sense for me, not expecting anything far from it.
Uh, but Horizon? God of War? Can you pick a single PC game that can show something even remotely close to that, on a 7870?

ZFaZtWR.jpg

I'm not a dev game developer, but isn't it obvious that optimizing your code/visuals for a CONCRETE system ends up using resources more effectively, than a generic "slider" approach? There are so many things one could do, optimizing geometry/textures even AI power.

And it isn't true, that it applies only to exclusives. It makes perfect sense for cross platform developers with big enough budgets to NOT ignore tens of millions of users running exactly the same hardware.

It will have 5700-ish GPU and with console "magic" mentioned above, it will drop jaws
I don't know why people keep bringing in unrealistic targets. 1080Ti consumes close to 300W on its own.
I told him about optimization he wont listen, such a brick wall.
He ment 1080ti perf.
Yeah, it’s mentioned half-way or so through that it’s a symptom of the virus mutation.
Or we had to make them look like that so we can squeeze more zombies.

Fake

Both Navi and recent Ryzen. Confirmed from both Sony and Microsoft. We can at this point ignore any rumor related to this in particular.

Oh, the only reason I tend to state 1080 TI is because of the alleged 20,000+ score on Fire Strike for the PS5's GPU. 1080 TI is around that mark.

Edit: looked up the 5700's score and that also aligns with 20,000+.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

EF6Gt7HWwAA5riR.jpg

EF0ZWGvWoAcrD0i.jpg

EFk0cBjUcAAVAP8.jpg

EFeYW3JX4AAJ1t6.jpg

EFeYY9OXUAEiqqR.jpg

EENf5rOXsAE37bS.jpg

oh No! Not the wall of screenshots again!!!

How the hell can you judge what a game does technically with subjective screenshots????

Am I supposed to say, "wow, those screens look great! The consoles ARE superior to the PC! The PC *is* being under utilized!"

Really??

VFXVeteran

Banned
Oh, the only reason I tend to state 1080 TI is because of the alleged 20,000+ score on Fire Strike for the PS5's GPU. 1080 TI is around that mark.

Edit: looked up the 5700's score and that also aligns with 20,000+.

It's 1080 performance. A friend of mine at ND told me. Expected.

VFXVeteran

Banned

ZFaZtWR.jpg

No. We don't develop engines like that anymore. Our engines are developed with future hardware in mind. I've worked on realtime flight simulation apps and have a lot of friends in the game development industry. We don't want the days of the PS3. ND was forced to write their producer/consumer pipeline the way it was because of the way the Sony hardware was. Now, we only need to use regular x86 architecture. There are different ways we'll plug into the hardware drivers to implement things, but a LOT of the work and innovation has been published on Siggraph papers and a lot of the computation work is using the typical shading language (even if it's not a well known shading language like GLSL).

Graphics is more of a steady common pipeline. Animation, AI, physics, etc.. could be innovative work but isn't some magical chip inside the graphics card that no other has. And we use a lot of 3rd party software libraries. Why should we reinvent math libraries that work and have been proven already? It's a waste of manpower and time.

Last edited:

llien

No. We don't develop engines like that anymore. Our engines are developed with future hardware in mind.
So you are telling me, that "engine" can decide on game developer's behalf, how detailed geometry his model will have, or how big his textures will be, huh?
Come on....

Racer!

No. We don't develop engines like that anymore. Our engines are developed with future hardware in mind. I've worked on realtime flight simulation apps and have a lot of friends in the game development industry. We don't want the days of the PS3. ND was forced to write their producer/consumer pipeline the way it was because of the way the Sony hardware was. Now, we only need to use regular x86 architecture. There are different ways we'll plug into the hardware drivers to implement things, but a LOT of the work and innovation has been published on Siggraph papers and a lot of the computation work is using the typical shading language (even if it's not a well known shading language like GLSL).

Graphics is more of a steady common pipeline. Animation, AI, physics, etc.. could be innovative work but isn't some magical chip inside the graphics card that no other has. And we use a lot of 3rd party software libraries. Why should we reinvent math libraries that work and have been proven already? It's a waste of manpower and time.

LOL

oh No! Not the wall of screenshots again!!!

How the hell can you judge what a game does technically with subjective screenshots????

Am I supposed to say, "wow, those screens look great! The consoles ARE superior to the PC! The PC *is* being under utilized!"

Really??
Screen shots are 80% fake but still, you didnt convince us on the matter of our discussion, yes pc is under uti..
That post is Gold, less is more.
And another one, please stop it 🤣.

VFXVeteran

Banned
sonomamashine sonomamashine - I don't want to get into a screenshot war with you. It'll take up precious time and go nowhere. You know what's been compared. The biggest milestones in graphics are PBR shading and RT. Period. Those will be the only visible differences you'll see. So you are correct with PBR looking relatively the same on all platforms with the difference being more clarity and less aliasing. However, if you increase this (i.e. texture size, resolution, etc..) and eliminate that artifact (i.e. increasing 4x anisotropic to 16x, etc..) etc. etc.. -- all of that adds up to a much cleaner image which is what we want.

RT is a different matter altogether. This new generation will be completely dependent on it for next-gen visuals. If the consoles have to make severe sacrifices when turning on RT, then you'll be looking at a significantly inferior rendering image than the PC. IOW, if using RT forces the consoles to render frames at 1080p, then u are back to square 1. 1080p games that have excellent rendering approximations but very fuzzy and grainy because of the low resolution.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I thought we were past PC Clients Race bitching about how their glorious PCs are "better" but the masses don't give a fuck because it's still the same fucking game in the end.
You can try all you want but you can't beat the value of a PlayStation 4.

Value as in $400 console? How valuable will the PS5 be to you guys when all of your exclusives will be ported to the PC? (/hint/)

Value as in $400 console? How valuable will the PS5 be to you guys when all of your exclusives will be ported to the PC? (/hint/)
If what you are hinting at is true, then I'm really excited for next gen and will just upgrade my PC. I just hope games are ported in a more meaningful way than just streaming however.

Last edited:
Is Death stranding being on Pc makes you think every exclusive will be ?
I dont know what deal Sony made with kojima (desperat to secure him) but i dont think you will see exclusives on pc, even if they go that way wont be popping on Pc at launch.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Playing Death Stranding really brings to light all the issues that come with a somewhat underpowered GPU. Yes, games like Days Gone, RDR2, Uncharted and Horizon look stunning but they take a lot of shortcuts to mask those issues. For example, the terrain in horizon and days gone is almost never flat. there are hills everywhere reducing the load on the GPU to effectively manage distant LODs. Horizon has fog everywhere. RDR2 is different in that regard but detail level is low overall compared to Horizon and Uncharted. Now DS on the other hand has a lot of flat areas and A LOT of geometry. rocks everywhere. and i see a lot of pop in and LOD transitions in the distance. the game looks absolutely stunning up close but it doesnt look nearly as polished as RDR2 and Horizon when you look off to the distance.

On PC, those LOD transitions and draw distance should look much better, but DS on the PS4 looks stunning with some of the best character and vehicle models, lighting, cutscenes and cinematography ever in a video game. I have no idea why everything with VFX Veteran has to become a PC vs console thing. Devs should be the ones getting the credit, not the console makers or GPU makers.

Fake

DF last Death Stranding video they say about next year PC release could show us the difference between native 4K and checkerboard rendering.

Sony is not giving up checkerboard rendering, unless both Microsoft and Sony discover a even better implementation of cb or temporal inj.

joe_zazen

i was listening to an interview with the Oddworld guy, and he has a hate boner for kutagari and the ps3. I guess that machine fucked over a lot AA studios because it ruined their budget predictions as ps3 development had to include learning a bunch of new and unnecessary (in the long run) skill sets. and they either ended up shipping terrible games or having to beg publishers for more money and time. And when a company is desparate, publishers will fuck you over. I had no idea how bad PS3 was for gaming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom