• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Notwithstanding that the U.K. isn’t in Europe any more 🤪 the UK doesnt love Xbox. We did love it for about half a generation back in 2005 or so. But we Brits are a fickle bunch.

Officially we know it left the EU (brexit and what not) but you know what I mean it's still located in Europe 😂😂😂 And even with Xbox one sales thy were still pretty strong in UK so there still is a love for Xbox whether tht changes this gen remains to be seen. My point is the European love for Sony is not 100 most of Europe it is overwhelmingly strong.

Pretty strong UK numbers to me 😊 post 2005 up to 2018 far from Sony domination only in UK of course rest of Europe it isn't as close.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Evident for sure shown like this. I wouldn't say it was worlds different enough to think the first shot wasn't representative of what to expect in game, other than optimization downgrades. Same with something like GoT. That's why I still think what we're seeing in HFW in engine trailer running on PS5 hardware is still much representative of what we could expect for the most part.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. It may affect me more because I know what to look for and that's OK.

I see some of these same things in the hair in the underwater scuba scene, and again, still think it would be pretty representative by comparison of what to expect on console.

Yea, we'll have to see.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Evident for sure shown like this. I wouldn't say it was worlds different enough to think the first shot wasn't representative of what to expect in game, other than optimization downgrades. Same with something like GoT. That's why I still think what we're seeing in HFW in engine trailer running on PS5 hardware is still much representative of what we could expect for the most part.

I see some of these same things in the hair in the underwater scuba scene, and again, still think it would be pretty representative by comparison of what to expect on console.
I guess I just don't understand fundamentally why anyone thinks cinematics won't look better than gameplay?

Don't all Sony games have higher fidelity during cinematics?

The presentation is always impressive either way; but we are also looking at a game that's not releasing any time that soon. So people declaring "The gameplay will look the same as this cinematic trailer" for now just sound silly to me.

I think the game will look amazing either way.. and those cinematics are fucking gorgeous, but expecting gameplay to match cinematics is just sort of ignoring how games work. Same with expecting things to look the same in 7/2020 as they will in whatever month/year H2 releases.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I guess I just don't understand fundamentally why anyone thinks cinematics won't look better than gameplay?

It's not just Sony.. All games have higher fidelity.

The presentation is always impressive either way; but we are also looking at a game that's not releasing any time that soon. So people declaring "The gameplay will look the same as this cinematic trailer" for now just sound silly to me.

Agree.

I think the game will look amazing either way.. and those cinematics are fucking gorgeous, but expecting gameplay to match cinematics is just sort of ignoring how games work.

Also agree.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Has there been info on a HZD2 Pc port or is this speculation

PC port? Tht won't happen until at least three years down the line from ps5 launch. Sony knows what their doing and still want to have ppl buy their console. Don't expect tht anytime soon. Don't be fooled by the fake insiders here tht know shit and spit pc elitism bs. Sony has a strategy and have been following through 💯

Last edited:

Voidout

See?

Here is a perfect example of complete and utter hate for what I say.

OK. Can you tell me WHO told you that they will release HZ2 on PC 2-3 years after it's released on PS5??

The PC *is* a platform that will allow graphics rendering to be pushed further than any other platform. If a console can't do ray-traced shadows because it's too expensive, the PC can. If the console can't run a game at 60FPS because it's too expensive, the PC has the ability to do run it. That's just the nature of the platform. Stop fighting it! It has NOTHING to do with PCMR!! It's a blanket fact that I recognize.

You will never have a scenario where a console does something that the top tier hardware can not. Yet, that's what you preach on a day to day basis leaning on the "EXCLUSIVES" to be your justification. If the game never comes out on another platform, then you can always say, "This game is the best looking game of EVERY game out there and it's ONLY available on this console". That arrogance is what many Xbox fans and other PC fans HATE about the Sony guys. Well, that argument isn't going to hold water anymore this new generation. I didn't decide to release these games on the PC. Sony and MS did.
Wait so you DO have information on hzd 2 coming to PC? Do tell.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Wait so you DO have information on hzd 2 coming to PC? Do tell.

No. I just said what I know. I know of other PS4 exclusives coming to PC that haven't been announced yet. I also know that once a company releases an exclusive to another platform, any other games will follow. It's just business. And these companies are trying to make money.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. I reminder there was a journalist who said that Sony was holding back some announcements. And that there might be an unannounced launch title.

Anyone want to take a guess at what it might be?

I think it might be a smaller title from Japan Studios.
Interesting, I know the journalist mentioned this but there was another dude who i think was from EuroGamer said after last months Playstation event that Sony were definitely holding back on some of their big 1st and 3rd party announcements.

We've heard a lot of speculation about a Silent Hill game, a God of War sequel and maybe a Metal Gear Solid remake but these are all just rumours and we have failed to realise is that Sony have done a really good job of guarding some of their secrets, heck there's details about the APU which have not even been revealed yet. Personally I'd go crazy if we were to see a the God of War sequel, if MLiD is to believed, the game will have jaw dropping and photorealistic graphics, in a way I'm not surprised because the graphics of the 2018 God of War were so dam good! So who knows what kind of magic they'll be able to pull off with the PS5 hardware!

IntentionalPun

It's not just Sony.. All games have higher fidelity.
Yeah for sure; Sony has a particular eye for polishing cinematics IMO.

They are world class at both in-game graphics, and in-engine cinematic graphics. If their gameplay matched their cinematics, that would be them deciding not to add fidelity to their cinematics when they could.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sure. I reminder there was a journalist who said that Sony was holding back some announcements. And that there might be an unannounced launch title.

Well, it could be something from the past, like SOCOM or a Resistance game.. but.. y'know.. only wishing.

Darklor01

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. It may affect me more because I know what to look for and that's OK.

Yea, we'll have to see.

We can agree to disagree. That's alright. After release, remind me to revisit this and have a proper discussion when it's out and there's nothing that can be pure speculation.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Are you going to call God of Wars cinematics in-engine too just because they're scripted?
Yes, because that's what those words mean. It's not meant to be derogatory, it's common terminology.

I've never seen anyone make the distinction between "in engine" and "in game" as you do it, but whatever, we're just arguing terms. I think the meaning behind what I'm saying is clear and I don't see the need to bicker over arbitrary jargon.

JonnyMP3

I'm guessing that he believes H:FW would be released on PC as well as the only other 2 games that have been released which Re H:ZD and DS.
All 3 things have 1 thing in common. The Decima engine, which I'm guessing Sony are trying to market and license out as a game engine for other developers to use. If you subscribe to this rumour and possible path, then not showing off the improvements to Decima in the sequel would be counter intuitive to selling the engine. Otherwise there should be more PS4 exclusive games coming to PC if it was just game sales.

Voidout

It's based on the fact that Sony has adopted releasing exclusives (NOT all of them) to the PC. I'm sure HZD2 will be released on PC, I just don't know when. I might do a little digging once the game releases on the PS5. So consider it speculation for now.
Gotcha, thank you!

sircaw

Banned

Bloodborne 2, I can smell blood in the water at a thousand yards, Periods further. :messenger_grimmacing_ that might of just pushed that analogy a bit too far.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Interesting, I know the journalist mentioned this but there was another dude who i think was from EuroGamer said after last months Playstation event that Sony were definitely holding back on some of their big 1st and 3rd party announcements.

We've heard a lot of speculation about a Silent Hill game, a God of War sequel and maybe a Metal Gear Solid remake but these are all just rumours and we have failed to realise is that Sony have done a really good job of guarding some of their secrets, heck there's details about the APU which have not even been revealed yet. Personally I'd go crazy if we were to see a the God of War sequel, if MLiD is to believed, the game will have jaw dropping and photorealistic graphics, in a way I'm not surprised because the graphics of the 2018 God of War were so dam good! So who knows what kind of magic they'll be able to pull off with the PS5 hardware!

God of war, it is known via tweets the day before the presentation tht Cory was suppose to show something and have a big day but we ended up seeing nothing from him.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm guessing that he believes H:FW would be released on PC as well as the only other 2 games that have been released which Re H:ZD and DS.
All 3 things have 1 thing in common. The Decima engine, which I'm guessing Sony are trying to market and license out as a game engine for other developers to use. If you subscribe to this rumour and possible path, then not showing off the improvements to Decima in the sequel would be counter intuitive to selling the engine. Otherwise there should be more PS4 exclusive games coming to PC if it was just game sales.

There will be.

Imtjnotu

Hope I haven't missed anyone 🤔
xaZkVLK.jpg

fun fact
There is actually 4 people including Craig in the night sky, can you see the mysterious 4 person?
I was on the other one before this and you seemed to have forgotten me

Darklor01

I think the game will look amazing either way.. and those cinematics are fucking gorgeous, but expecting gameplay to match cinematics is just sort of ignoring how games work. Same with expecting things to look the same in 7/2020 as they will in whatever month/year H2 releases.

I guess, because in-game cut scenes are the way they are. I can't say who's right or wrong because I've not got the technical expertise to know more than concepts. I tend to think if there is in game cut scenes with HUD removed, it can be perceived as cinematics vs. in engine trailers which by nature should have a higher visual fidelity than in game play visual fidelity.

The other end of that is, there are console wars. People saying this or that game on one side or the other look shit, or not representative of the real deal. People fight for what they believe. Some, blindly so. I see it all the time in other, completely unrelated to gaming things.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
God of war, it is known via tweets the day before the presentation tht Cory was suppose to show something and have a big day but we ended up seeing nothing from him.
Considering this and a few other "suspicious" behaviours from Cory and the Santa Monica Std team it makes sense that we'll see it soon but I don't want to get my hopes up just in case it doesn't.
giphy.gif

I'd be staggered if Sony release Horizon 2 on anything other than PS5 until they no longer see it as being useful in bringing people over to PS5. I.e. once it's down to $14 on PSN store and most/all people who have a PS5 and want to will have played it and moved on.

I also find it very unlikely that anyone here is going to dig around and find out any firm facts. Any strategic plans on this games beyond its release on PS5 and the initial plans for DLC will likely be known only at the highest level (those people tend not to blab - well, not often) and any long-term plans will unlikely be set in stone anyway.

Look, if anyone is going to hold off purchasing a PS5 so that - in X number of years - they can purchase a new PC (latest Gfx cards, etc.) to play Horizon 2 clearly don't buy into the saying, "Time Flies". Seriously!

If you like the look of Horizon 2 and are interested in a PS5 then grab one, enjoy the heck out of the game and don't look back.

I personally think the setting looks great, know that the team are technically up there with the best in the business and confident that it'll justify (along with the other games we know Sony are capable of making) buying a PS5 as soon as I can get my grubby hands on one. Power of PC or Xbox Series X doesn't change that.

Darklor01

1st, Once that road has been paved, continuing it is not hard to think is true. It's just likely that the PC release, if it were to happen, would happen FAR from the console release. It would not cannibalize anything since the main console sales of a title would have long been passed the point where it matters on that level. Think.. extreme timed exclusive. Why not get the revenue. Console users are going to get HFW, a sequel, not theoretically long after PC users are first getting HZD. Why would that affect console gamers or Sony for that matter in a negative way?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Those $1 a month are indeed not going to last. Pretty sure that eventually you might have some deals sometimes, but most of the time it will just be $10-15 which is still amazing value.

I agree that would be VERY big value pricing. I'm guess though, with them getting rid of Xbox Gold subscriptions at this time that they will try to bundle their online with GamePass. So I personally expect that to be in the $40-60 range somewhere. That would allow them to run SALES down to maybe $20-30 or even the $10-15 mark, but have a general revenue stream that's a good deal higher. If they could get say 80 million subscribers at $50 a year....that would be some COIN! ;) We'll see what they do but I really expect them to combine their services a bit in order to extend the value proposition and also give them the revenue that they will need to continue to build and grow their services.

Considering this and a few other "suspicious" behaviours from Cory and the Santa Monica Std team it makes sense that we'll see it soon but I don't want to get my hopes up just in case it doesn't.
giphy.gif

Santa Monica haven't been working on any DLC for GoW and it was clearly a success. It's been over 2 years since we've seen anything from this studio... So.... you know.... just saying. :messenger_beaming:

They may well be working on multiple IP (GoW plus another) but I'd bet surprised if we don't see something from that studio soon. Depends when Sony want to unleash it.

It's just a question of time...

On the Quantic Dream front I know that it is quite hush hush. They might be working on something but bc of some in-house problems nothing is leaking.
Quantic Dream was provided a large sum of cash by NetEase and David Cage being who he is , I’m fairly certain he accepted the offer. And ended publishing the games that used to be ps exclusive to pc via the epic games store with Detroit being the last to release. They’re now their own publisher thanks to that boost by NetEase.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't see Horizon Forbidden West coming to PC, same with several other Playstation exclusives. Sony really pride themselves on their exclusives and it's one of the main selling points of the Playstation consoles, especially the PS5. They know dam well they'll lose a loyal fan base if more of their exclusives end up on PC and the Playstation would become no different than any other console.

As for Horizon Zero Dawn making it to PC, it was obvious to me that was smart business decision, making non Playstation gamers invest into a game like HZD will mean they'll very likely want to play the sequel as well which in turn means they'll have to buy a PS5, it's quiet cleaver. That being said, if we do see another PS exclusive make it to PC it might mean there is a sequel to that coming very soon!

IntentionalPun

I guess, because in-game cut scenes are the way they are. I can't say who's right or wrong because I've not got the technical expertise to know more than concepts. I tend to think if there is in game cut scenes with HUD removed, it can be perceived as cinematics vs. in engine trailers which by nature should have a higher visual fidelity than in game play visual fidelity.

In-engine cinematics have a higher visual fidelity than gameplay. That's what you guys appear to just be completely missing.

So whether it's an actual cinematic that will be in the final game, or a cinamatic cut for a trailer.. there's no difference.

In-engine real time is really specifically what people are assuming HZD2 is. But if gameplay is going to look "exactly the same" as the cinematics, that would be a DEPARTURE from how Sony usually presents their games. The models inside of cinematics, even if done in-engine real-time, are higher fidelity than the game.. draw-distance might be cranked up.. other visual effects enabled, etc. They aren't just "gameplay with the HUD removed."

Yes, because that's what those words mean. It's not meant to be derogatory, it's common terminology.

I've never seen anyone make the distinction between "in engine" and "in game" as you do it, but whatever, we're just arguing terms. I think the meaning behind what I'm saying is clear and I don't see the need to bicker over arbitrary jargon.

Then you're wrong. There's a very clear distinction between in-engine and in-game. Halo Infinite showed us in-engine cinematics, and they don't even match the in-game cinematics. Nevermind the actual gameplay. Same with Star Wars battlefront. Showed off in-engine cinematics. in-game cinematics were inferior.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

1st, Once that road has been paved, continuing it is not hard to think is true. It's just likely that the PC release, if it were to happen, would happen FAR from the console release. It would not cannibalize anything since the main console sales of a title would have long been passed the point where it matters on that level. Think.. extreme timed exclusive. Why not get the revenue. Console users are going to get HFW, a sequel, not theoretically long after PC users are first getting HZD. Why would that affect console gamers or Sony for that matter in a negative way?
No I have no problems with that idea. Just like I have no issues with HZD and DS being on PC now. It's just an additional revenue stream for an already completed product long after the initial and immediate default platform has surpassed. It let's those PCMR people play something that has been critically acclaimed. I'm all good for it. And the licencing fee for Decima, if it is true, isn't shabby either.

Well, it could be something from the past, like SOCOM or a Resistance game.. but.. y'know.. only wishing.
Bloodborne 2, I can smell blood in the water at a thousand yards, Periods further. :messenger_grimmacing_ that might of just pushed that analogy a bit too far.

I remember a while ago Ape Escape was teased. So it could be a remaster that's modified to take advantage of the Dual Sense. I know that when the dual analog sticks came out they used Ape Escape to show it off.

Darklor01

In-engine cinematics have a higher visual fidelity than gameplay. That's what you guys appear to just be completely missing.

So whether it's an actual cinematic that will be in the final game, or a cinamatic cut for a trailer.. there's no difference.

In-engine real time is really specifically what people are assuming HZD2 is. But if gameplay is going to look "exactly the same" as the cinematics, that would be a DEPARTURE from how Sony usually presents their games. The models inside of cinematics, even if done in-engine real-time, are higher fidelity than the game.. draw-distance might be cranked up.. other visual effects enabled, etc. They aren't just "gameplay with the HUD removed."
Oh, .. forgive me if I created a misunderstanding. I completely understand why a cinematic or cut-scene sequence would have a higher visual fidelity. I will always be clear to say, I don't expect it to be worlds different than the in game gameplay depending on the elements being discussed. So, as it's been pointed out.. hair, skin..etc. will likely take a hit out of cinematics/cut scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom