• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Is that MS's megaton? Upgrade everyone who has pre-purchased Gold to GamePass Ultimate for free, then cancel XBL Gold? They've pretty much been doing that anyways for people paying attention with their $1 deal.

Imagine if they did that for every single Gold member then cancelled XBL Gold and it's requirements.

edit: To be clear I think this is all incredibly far fetched lol

Last edited:
It would be huge If the get rid of it entirely, but I feel getting rid of it for FTP games is more plausible.
It's basically the only money they made off of all of us doing that $1 for up to 3 years of Ultimate deal since it still required you pay for 3 years of XBL Gold ahead of time.

Curious if they made this change what happens to everyone who has pre-purchased Gold for up to 3 years? Refunds?

edit: You know what I just realized? They could just upgrade everyone to Gamepass Ultimate for free. I mean they've been giving it away for $1 anyways.

Definitely would be huge and it would be a consumer friendly move if strings are not attached to it.

But let's assume that they make this decision. They would be losing a source of revenue. Would they substitute it for something else like pay to win style MTX in their games?

It's something that I'm wondering because they wouldn't drop the gold requirement unless they made back that lost revenue in some way.

The backlash would be great. Sony would soon after have to follow suit or be labled and perceived as anti consumer. Believe it or not, not everyone is a diehard sony fanboy with a sony shrine in the basement.

I don't see the bad PR making much of an impact in the grand scheme of things. They still have the mindshare, and they still dominate worldwide. That doesn't change overnight and certainly not because of free online

Also, are you trying to get yourself banned? You can make a post without trying to antagonise you know. It is possible .

And what if MS drops the paywall for playing online all together?
Hmm seems very unlikely to me, I mean, Xbox LIve Gold is a very successful service for Microsoft and I doubt they would want to lose all that revenue. That's why I think they will only remove the paywall for F2P games. But with that said, I would love them to do it honestly

Is that MS's megaton? Upgrade everyone who has pre-purchased Gold to GamePass Ultimate for free, then cancel XBL Gold? They've pretty much been doing that anyways for people paying attention with their $1 deal.

Imagine if they did that for every single Gold member then cancelled XBL Gold and it's requirements.
Pricing could be a megaton. Undercutting the competition could be a megaton. Revealing Lockhart could be a megaton. Showing BC titles running at 60fps/120fps, HDR,4k etc... could be considered a megaton. Maybe some studio acquisitions? Maybe show The Initiatives new project? Who knows

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
No chance online is free. You will need a subscription, whether it’s called Xbox Live or Xbox Please is immaterial.
Why wouldn't they just drop XBL? They've been pushing "the most consumer friendly console in the world" narrative for a while now. It's all to get more people on their platforms and sell Game Pass. Eventually what they try to do is get people to buy into the Xbox ecosystem, and NOT invest into Sony's ecosystem. Sony will probably sell +120 PS4 consoles. Microsoft made the calculation that if they can get a part of that market it will be worth it to drop XBL fees knowing their attach rate to Game Pass. Combined with PC Game Pass of course.

They are playing the long game. They know they won't win console selling wars this generation. They just want to sell as many subscription as possible in the next 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft Is Said to Be in Talks to Buy TikTok in U.S. - Bloomberg

Thread Link:

You go MS, buy that Chinese face mapping/tracking and logging spyware.

Last edited:

Darius87

What? How am I questioning "them" to argue with forum posters on NeoGAF?
:cautious:
I don't understand why they'd bother making someone "play" this 1.5 second section with the camera way zoomed off to the side?
Another of the same for me.. why "play" this with an obviously cinematic camera?
And again.. same question... why play this? lol
that's your questions and you clearly not questioning forum poster
they meaning who made trailer and guerilla made it.
but keep playing stupid.
The developer never claimed it was gameplay.
neither they claimed it wasn't gameplay.

jose4gg

If they drop Gold entirely and all online is free it will cause a shockwave in the industry. Considering they have what? Over 30 million subscribers? That would be a monumental loss of revenue overnight, so it would be pretty insane.

Sony would be in an hilarious position if that happens.

This is why I doubt they will do it... I know that a lot of people will say amazing things about MS if they do that, but I don't believe people will buy XBX for that reason... like people were ready to buy XONE before the catastrophic launch even believing Sony would have a free online like with PS3.

Last edited:
I don't see the bad PR making much of an impact in the grand scheme of things. They still have the mindshare, and they still dominate worldwide. That doesn't change overnight and certainly not because of free online

Also, are you trying to get yourself banned? You can make a post without trying to antagonise you know. It is possible .

The issue is that Sony WILL lose customers over this. How would they not? Charging 60 bucks just to play online, while MS makes it free? All of social media, youtube etc complaining about how anti consumer Sony is. And it sure as hell wouldn't continue years down the road. So i totally disagree with you, as usual

This is all hypothetical to be clear. This is all assuming MS actually does it. And i'm not saying they will. And i also find it strange MS would throw huge amounts of money away.

Last edited:
If they drop Gold entirely and all online is free it will cause a shockwave in the industry. Considering they have what? Over 30 million subscribers? That would be a monumental loss of revenue overnight, so it would be pretty insane.

Sony would be in an hilarious position if that happens.

I don't know. I'm just looking back at the 360 and PS3 days and people just didn't seem to really care. I can see the massive uproar at the start but come next-gen launch I have to wonder what actual impact will be

Or I'm just underestimating the reverse trap card

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The issue is that Sony WILL lose customers over this. How would they not? Charging 60 bucks just to play online, while MS makes it free? All of social media, youtube etc complaining about how anti consumer Sony is. And it sure as hell wouldn't continue years down the road. So i totally disagree with you, as usual

This is all hypothetical to be clear. This is all assuming MS actually does it.

Oh, how quaint. So they’re both being anti consumer right now. MS more so than Sony at the moment for still having a F2P paywall as we speak.

GRIEVEZ

I can understand FTP games because that will get more people to play them. But all games?

Can't see this happening unless Microsoft wants to substitute the lost revenue from Gold with something else. Like more MTX for example.

Just guessing.
I can see it happen.. They need to do something wild to not lose its userbase.. (Most of the bangers of Xbox's event, are a bit further out VS Sony's) and if they do this... it might be telling of the situation XSX is in. They arent doing it out of good will.

They probably know Sony cant follow suit. But Sony might spice things up, to make subscribing to its services more interesting. But im definitly not expecting it.

Its a smart move imo. (and eastwood is already able to spin Sony as Anti-consumer lol... You can bet your ass others will too - even if Msft started charging people for its online services :p)

Last edited:

Brudda26

They will get rid of "gold" as we know it. Free to play titles will be free to play but your usual titles like battlefield, forza etc will still require a paid service. You know what that service will be, gamepass. Migrating all your gold members which is rumoured to be in the 20 to 30million range to gamepass instantly gives you a massive subscriber boost to that service with minimal effort. Then though and behold look gamepass is profitable. Paid online will still be a thing for them do you really think they will just let one of the biggest sources of income for xbox go just like that? MS is very rich yes but dropping what is essentially free money and billions of income is a move I dont see happening.

jose4gg

This is all hypothetical to be clear. This is all assuming MS actually does it. And i'm not saying they will. And i also find it strange MS would throw huge amounts of money away.

You forget people loved the X360 while PS3 had a free multiplayer, this is HUGE, but is not a selling point...

XO_o

dGdmnww.jpg

6Rjk4Iw.jpg

CYM1oGV.jpg

I expect there will be customers that transition, but I have to wonder how big of a deal free online is to the mass market. Especially when the biggest multiplayer games on the market are free to play in the first place.

It also needs to be marketed well, but thats a different issue.

Falc67

I wonder if Halo Infinite can keep the same fidelity as the footage shown at the July event while being 120fps?

If it’s dynamic 4k 60fps, they’ll have to reduce that resolutions significantly to keep the same fidelity. But they have machine learning/reconstruction, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

AeneaGames

Sony have the movie rights, Disney cannot have a say how and when they want to make a movie. Game rights is different, at any moment Disney can go to other publisher.

With the salient detail that then Sony will not want to have them make more Spiderman movies.... So they won't go to another publisher ;)

IntentionalPun

:cautious:

that's your questions and you clearly not questioning forum poster
they meaning who made trailer and guerilla made it.
but keep playing stupid.

neither they claimed it wasn't gameplay.

I'm questioning why NeoGAF posters think "they" played the game, rather than built it as a scripted sequence.

I am NOT in any way questioning the developer, as the developer never made any sort of claim about whether it was gameplay or not.

English pro-tip: Learn it, THEN call people speaking it stupid.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Definitely would be huge and it would be a consumer friendly move if strings are not attached to it.

But let's assume that they make this decision. They would be losing a source of revenue. Would they substitute it for something else like pay to win style MTX in their games?

It's something that I'm wondering because they wouldn't drop the gold requirement unless they made back that lost revenue in some way.

The financial gamble could be on converting people to GamePass by giving it to them for free in hopes when their sub runs out they keep it. (same idea behind the 3 years for $1 deal, but instantly applied to all XBL Gold users)

But like I said, sounds like fanboy dreams lol

AeneaGames

Can you actually fit in a plane> Maybe a b-52 or spruce goose :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Since I rather do everything myself anyway, otherwise it's not being done right, I don't need a co-pilot so that saves some space in the cockpit! :D

Sure I can post in Beyond3d, but first let me bring Brent Burley (inventer of PBR), Ed Catmill (he's done so many things it's not even funny), Ken Perlin (father of procedural noise) and Darwin Peachey (well, he's just a genius) with me.

Name dropping, yay!

Last edited:

edit: To be clear I think this is all incredibly far fetched lol
I think exists multiple possibilities:

1)They will make its titles on gamepass will not need any gold ... yes I know is twist the things because in the end they want to force you
to pay all its services but if you only want gold maybe is not worth it for price
2)Only its first parties doesn't need gold I think this could be better option
3)Only Halo
4) The remove gold.

The last one is a crazy bet because can be end too good or too bad, remember this possible the main income for Xbox.

If they do it is expecting Sony cannot do something similar but also in world where exists games like Fortnite which can
play online free in PS4 (Xbox need gold) the same case for Warzone. Is just to risky even I prefer the multiplayer of Halo
the majority of the people not so if your plan doesn't work you cannot just return gold, this could be to dangerous.

Regarding Halo Infinite to 120 fps (should be 1080p) well is a good new also show us the game current gen in graphics just now I want
the campaign be good I can forgive everything if the campaign is the same level as Halo Reach.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why wouldn't they just drop XBL? They've been pushing "the most consumer friendly console in the world" narrative for a while now. It's all to get more people on their platforms and sell Game Pass. Eventually what they try to do is get people to buy into the Xbox ecosystem, and NOT invest into Sony's ecosystem. Sony will probably sell +120 PS4 consoles. Microsoft made the calculation that if they can get a part of that market it will be worth it to drop XBL fees knowing their attach rate to Game Pass. Combined with PC Game Pass of course.

They are playing the long game. They know they won't win console selling wars this generation. They just want to sell as many subscription as possible in the next 10 years.

I understand that it’s easy and positive to see things so hopefully, but it’s important to remember these are companies. Their “Pro consumer” marketing is just that. They are trying to increase revenue, not crash it.

Imagine the conditions it would take to push them to drop Gold entirely? How long does it now take them to recoup that revenue?

Crazy things happen. What gives me pause is that they can still simply drop Gold requirement for online in Gamepass or for F2P and get faux praise. Another thing is that at the Xbox event CrossFire X had a disclaimer for Gold requirement, so it would seem like a recent decision. And if it’s a recent decision, what scary data are they reading about next gen?

Darius87

I'm questioning why NeoGAF posters think "they" played the game, rather than built it as a scripted sequence.

I am NOT in any way questioning the developer, as the developer never made any sort of claim about whether it was gameplay or not.

English pro-tip: Learn it, THEN call people speaking it stupid.
it doesn't make sense from what you wrote is for posters.
I don't understand why they'd bother making someone "play" this 1.5 second section with the camera way zoomed off to the side?
how can someone from here play horizon2 on PS5 just to capture 1.5 second section you talking about in your question, it's not possible and it's clearly adressed for devs or who made the trailer.

Just a little news on WB Games acquisition talks.

Jez just mentioned on The Xbox Two podcast with Rand, that he has good reason to believe MS is putting in a bid for WB Games.

yewles1

It's a thing since the PS3 era
With the occasional video thrown in to mask loading screens
PS2 had a lot of in-game cutscenes too, but FMV was still heavy used in that generation
This generation it is mainly Ubisoft that heavy use CGI videos
And Square-Enix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom