• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basing this on 4 consoles this gen. And every single pc card that's ever been released since tflops became an acceptable metric.

More tflops means more pixels that can be rendered. More pixels means better resolution. This isn't rocket science. A 2080 will always perform better than a 2070. A 5700xt will always perform better than a 5600 xt. It's just numbers.

Time to revisit the launch of the Xbox One.

One interesting point in the article was about CU count versus Clock. MS evaluated this and had some interesting findings.

- CU count on the XB1 increased from 12 to 14. That's an increase in TFLOP of 16.6%.
- CU count remains as 12, but the GPU clock was increased from 800 to 853MHz, so a TFLOP increase of 6.6%.

So, logically the higher CU count would perform better? Not so, according to MS.

"but in terms of actual measured games - what actually, ultimately counts - is that it was a better engineering decision to raise the clock."

"Increasing the frequency impacts the whole of the GPU whereas adding CUs beefs up shaders and ALU," interjects Nick Baker.

"Right. By fixing the clock, not only do we increase our ALU performance, we also increase our vertex rate, we increase our pixel rate and ironically increase our ESRAM bandwidth," continues Goossen.

"But we also increase the performance in areas surrounding bottlenecks like the drawcalls flowing through the pipeline, the performance of reading GPRs out of the GPR pool, etc. GPUs are giantly complex. There's gazillions of areas in the pipeline that can be your bottleneck in addition to just ALU and fetch performance."

jose4gg

One interesting point in the article was about CU count versus Clock. MS evaluated this and had some interesting findings.

- CU count on the XB1 increased from 12 to 14. That's an increase in TFLOP of 16.6%.
- CU count remains as 12, but the GPU clock was increased from 800 to 853MHz, so a TFLOP increase of 6.6%.

So, logically the higher CU count would perform better? Not so, according to MS.

"but in terms of actual measured games - what actually, ultimately counts - is that it was a better engineering decision to raise the clock."

"Increasing the frequency impacts the whole of the GPU whereas adding CUs beefs up shaders and ALU," interjects Nick Baker.

"Right. By fixing the clock, not only do we increase our ALU performance, we also increase our vertex rate, we increase our pixel rate and ironically increase our ESRAM bandwidth," continues Goossen.

"But we also increase the performance in areas surrounding bottlenecks like the drawcalls flowing through the pipeline, the performance of reading GPRs out of the GPR pool, etc. GPUs are giantly complex. There's gazillions of areas in the pipeline that can be your bottleneck in addition to just ALU and fetch performance."

So Cerny wasn’t lying...

Who would have thought?!

ZehDon

What are the odds Microsoft tries to get themselves a third party exclusive for launch? Something to help build their marketing around, and an example of what the hardware can do?

T-Cake

What are the odds Microsoft tries to get themselves a third party exclusive for launch? Something to help build their marketing around, and an example of what the hardware can do?

I'm trying to rack my brains but I can't think of anything. Most of the games coming are cross-gen. Better off going with Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla as they already have those titles for marketing (I think).

jimbojim

Banned
So, this list needs to be updated with 2020 quote. Prefer this one :

IE2ozqG.jpg

“I honestly think we’re in the best launch lineup position that we’ve ever been on Xbox,” Spencer said.

List updated. I think i've nailed it. :D

XHcsnvI.jpg

By-mission

They increase the clock because there was really no way to increase the size of the APU and consequently increase the price ...

up from the PS4’s 348 sq mm. The 5% additional space, despite having the smaller GPU core, is mostly due to RAM. The Xbox One contains a whopping 47MB of on-die RAM, and that pushes the die size up considerably. It’s also why Microsoft didn’t have room on the APU for a larger GPU.

The other mystery? The Xbox One GPU cores are physically shorter than the PS4’s equivalents. I don’t mean the GPU block, which is obviously smaller — one GPU Compute Unit on the PS4 diagram, is 50 pixels wide, 395 pixels tall. On the Xbox One, each Compute Unit is 42 pixels wide, 347 pixels tall. It looks as though Microsoft may have picked a tighter arrangement for its GPU core, again possibly to save the maximum amount of space and make room for as much SRAM on die as possible.

They increase the clock because there was really no way to increase the size of the APU and consequently increase the price ...

The GPU had 14 CUs, with 2 disabled to help with the yields. So not disabling the CU would have no impact to the APU size. Price increase would depend on the yield (I've no idea how good/bad the yield was).

However, they made the comparison between increasing the CU count or the clock, and saw that increasing the clock had more benefits to actual gaming performance. Unless you are saying MS or Eurogamer are not truthful here.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I really hope Sony has some PS5 news to announce soon to cheer evryone up because it's been extremely terrible news for Microsoft the past few months.

I'm hoping what's going on in Microsoft isn't being echoed over at Sony. This is a very unpleasant, uncertain time for everyone with Covid, and I'm sure a lot of why things are still so up in the air with both consoles is reflective of that.

I would like to see a strong announcement on something from Sony soon, to show that they are not mired in issues and problems the same way Xbox clearly is.

ZehDon

I'm trying to rack my brains but I can't think of anything. Most of the games coming are cross-gen. Better off going with Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla as they already have those titles for marketing (I think).
I literally can't think of anything that wouldn't cost an unreasonable amount of money. I think they're going into a launch without a new game for their console...

List updated. I think i've nailed it. :D

XHcsnvI.jpg
giphy.gif

By-mission

The GPU had 14 CUs, with 2 disabled to help with the yields. So not disabling the CU would have no impact to the APU size. Price increase would depend on the yield (I've no idea how good/bad the yield was).

However, they made the comparison between increasing the CU count or the clock, and saw that increasing the clock had more benefits to actual gaming performance. Unless you are saying MS or Eurogamer are not truthful here.

Unless Microsoft pays, and that would be a lot of money, AMD would never be able to supply a 14 CU GPU with 14 active CUs, the reality of silicon manufacturing simply does not allow it. It would be like throwing away between 30% and 40% of all Xbox One APUs because the GPU contained 1 or 2 defective CUs!

P.S. Forgive the Google translator, I am afraid to misspell and be misunderstood with my poor English.

Unless Microsoft pays, and that would be a lot of money, AMD would never be able to supply a 14 CU GPU with 14 active CUs, the reality of silicon manufacturing simply does not allow it. It would be like throwing away between 30% and 40% of all Xbox One APUs because the GPU contained 1 or 2 defective CUs!

P.S. Forgive the Google translator, I am afraid to misspell and be misunderstood with my poor English.

your english are fine (y), but I'm afraid this is too much of a hothead's thread to pay attention to what you are saying

They have compared a 14 CU chip to a 12 CU chip with a 53MHz boost in clock. The clock speed boost performed better in games as raising the GPU clock had other benefits. Are you saying this comparison is fabricated?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Btw Xbox chaps, if you did not know,

Grim dawn will be on its way to the x box, probably this year.

I played it on pc, before my pc died, and I plowed over 1200 hours into over a number of years.

In my opinion, its one of the best action /loot game out there, miles better than diablo 3 and path of exile.

I think it is also going to come with 2 expansion as well.

It might not be the prettiest game in the world but its gameplay is second to none.
Loot is fantastic, classes, bosses varied, great skill trees, and tones of replayability. The world is huge. Rogue dungeons etc etc.

Some incredible secrets to find in-game as well.

As far as I know, it's not coming to ps4/5 SIGH, so kinda exclusive to box and pc atm.

A wonderful, wonderful game you should really try.
The developers are also super active always balancing and releasing updates.

+game is cheap, not in quality but in price.

Give it a go, if you get the chance.

Hope it's a good port.

By-mission

They have compared a 14 CU chip to a 12 CU chip with a 53MHz boost in clock. The clock speed boost performed better in games as raising the GPU clock had other benefits. Are you saying this comparison is fabricated?

They compared the GPU of the Xbox One development kit (the one with 14 active CUs) to the normal Xbox One production GPU (12 CUs for silicon manufacturing yield) ...
And yes this is irregular ...
Unfortunately I can't prove it with links and photos but as in all generations of consoles the development kits are much better than the final product (ex the Series X development kit has 32 GB of RAM) so there is no comparison with the real world, a production console.

Last edited:
Glad to see the haptics are getting a positive response. It's the type of thing that could be super gimmicky (looking at you Sixaxis) but if implemented properly, could increase the level of immersion quite considerably.

Imo it is just a natural evolution of rumble. I think Microsoft has just been sluggish in adopting this technology but they will eventually use it too.

Do we? The comparisons we all know about were Xbox One vs PS4. That's not what I'm talking about here though.
yes, a) the outcome is known, and b) the only reason you brought this up is to embrace the stupid narrative that somehow 50% more CUs can be offset by a variable clock on a frying pan

edit:
here you are:
<<So, logically the higher CU count would perform better? Not so, according to MS>>

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Microsoft is preparing investors on potential acquisition of gaming studios

Before people start getting too excited, Klobrille Is misleading. I know, shock, horror!

That's not what their annual accounts filing really says, or means It says, in quite general terms, that they will be investing in Xbox studios but there is no specific activity that “investors” are being prepared for.

This is nothing new, Spencer and Booty have previously said that there May be future acquisitions.

yes, a) the outcome is known, and b) the only reason you brought this up is to embrace the stupid narrative that somehow 50% more CUs can be offset by a variable clock on a frying pan

Actually no. The reason I brought it up, was in reply to the post saying TFLOP is the definitive factor when determining gaming performance. Both Sony and MS don't agree with that based off past interviews.

Actually no. The reason I brought it up, was in reply to the post saying TFLOP is the definitive factor when determining gaming performance. Both Sony and MS don't agree with that based off past interviews.
As I already wrote, this was damage control from microsoft, AND the outcome is known to absolutely everyone in this forum!
and back then everyone (except that mrxmedia dude) were saying that clockspeed up just might narrow the gap a little bit, but that's all that it could do at the best case scenario.

and don't "actually no" me, here's what you wrote:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom