• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
to the drm thing I disagree. they were going to use the family licensing thingy as it worked back then at windows, were you could set up a (LARGE) team of accounts as "friends & family" and share one purchase with ten people.
It is how the message was not delivered properly (xbox mouthpieces should have studied more) and how sony used it (famous "this is how to share on ps4" video) that fucked it up, only to see now, before the same generation has ended that digital sales amount in many cases to more than 50% of total purchases.

if today I told you that you are going digital, but you can share with ten people, I am pretty sure you would think that this is a GREAT deal.

Sure, but just because something worked in a completely different environment, doesn't translate to it working in the console space, especially for that time. It wasn't friends and family though, it was family with some vagueness around what would and would not be approved. Of course humans being humans started with the ... what if my son is off at college, how is this checked, is it by IP address etc. And the communication around this was really really poor.

I never owned a PlayStation in my life up to this point. I was Sega up to the Saturn, wasn't even aware the Dreamcast was released before it was killed (wasn't paying much attention at the time), then switched to Xbox with the OG and later the 360. Despite 2 RRoD I was buying the next gen xbox. Until that reveal.

JonnyMP3

to the drm thing I disagree. they were going to use the family licensing thingy as it worked back then at windows, were you could set up a (LARGE) team of accounts as "friends & family" and share one purchase with ten people.
It is how the message was not delivered properly (xbox mouthpieces should have studied more) and how sony used it (famous "this is how to share on ps4" video) that fucked it up, only to see now, before the same generation has ended that digital sales amount in many cases to more than 50% of total purchases.

if today I told you that you are going digital, but you can share with ten people, I am pretty sure you would think that this is a GREAT deal.
I'm guessing that for the time period, having to check the Internet to confirm the license once a day was the deal breaker. As fast as it was then, we've improved our World Wide Internet even more leaps. Which means they probably did jump the gun with the DRM.

But then Don Mattrick also opened his mouth too... Don't forget that.
Telling people if you don't have Internet to stick with the 360 was definitely a slap to the face of their audience.

sircaw

Banned
And you tried to hitch hike but no one would stop for you, then two girls with a flat tyre were up ahead and you offered to help them. They said sure since neither one of them had ever changed a tyre. They then gave you a ride. A police car asked the girls before you were done changing tyre if they would be alright. He was worried you might do something to them. But all went well and they dropped you off where you wanted to go...

OK, it would be seriously funny if this is what happened to you because it means we've met! 😀

if the hitchhiker was 5 foot tall and one of the girls was shaped like a bowling ball then, i believe this to be fact.

JonnyMP3

And you tried to hitch hike but no one would stop for you, then two girls with a flat tyre were up ahead and you offered to help them. They said sure since neither one of them had ever changed a tyre. They then gave you a ride. A police car asked the girls before you were done changing tyre if they would be alright. He was worried you might do something to them. But all went well and they dropped you off where you wanted to go...

OK, it would be seriously funny if this is what happened to you because it means we've met! 😀
Twilight Zone intensifies!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The more I think about it, the more I honestly think Xbox is totally fucked this gen, moreso than EVER before....And Phil Spencer is 100% to blame. Guy needs to go.

Even the Xbox One had Ryse, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Sunset Overdrive, etc....all lined up EARLY in the Xbox One's lifecycle. Halo Infinite was supposed to be the one redeeming factor in next gen, even if it was a cross-gen game. It was supposed to be Microsoft's ace card, their Breath of the Wild that ushers in a ton of excitement for the platform. I got that feeling when watching the 2018 trailer.

What the fuck happened? Phil had the entire Xbox One gen to prepare for next-gen. And then suddenly "oh, gens don't matter". What the fuck is his problem? It's clear that he doesn't GET GAMING. He doesn't understand the ART of making games. And it's clear that he's a guy that originally started his career making generic Microsoft office based products. The problem with Phil is he's a software engineer turned bean counter. Everything about Xbox is centered around the ideas of user engagement, monthly active users, services subscriptions, etc. What he fails to understand, which is SHOCKING given how he was head of game studios for the longest time, is that gaming is built ON GAMES. Brilliant thought, right?

And what about these GAMES? Are they static? Do they never change? No, Generations MAKE THEM BETTER. They get developers EXCITED at the new possibilities. Motivated to make something great where they don't have as many restrictions as they had before. They get GAMERS INTERESTED again when things get stale. Once next gen hits, within 1 year from now a HUGE portion of the very hardcore gamers will have already moved over.

Microsoft is going to get left in the dust by their strategy so far and it's completely unacceptable as a consumer. Sony is going to have an insanely compelling lineup right out of the gate the first year and Xbox is lucky to hopefully salvage Halo from being a total disaster. But it'll still be LAST GEN! It's going to look like SHIT compared to Horizon 2 and will be a joke if it releases alongside it. You can only pull a Breath of the Wild moment if you actually have insane levels of talent behind something. 343 is just a failed studio, plain and simple. Their creative director probably left because Microsoft mandated that Halo Infinite be a platform game that keeps evolving. Nobody wants that. Phil does though, gotta get them MAUs!

So here we are, months away from a 12TF console, that won't have anything on it that looks any better than the Xbox One X for probably a few years. There's ZERO reason to buy an Xbox Series X. Sony is going to CLOBBER them. It's going to be shocking how badly Microsoft is going to do next-gen.

100% correct here. Even Nintendo gets this! The Switch does 100% of what you are saying here, because like you said GENERATIONS MATTER!

yewles1

Nah, I was so lost that by the time I found actual road again, I wound up arriving behind the Las Vegas Motor Speedway and had to walk past the Nellis Air Force Base, it was a bad time.

Is incredible how you can use a bad thing to make a great thing, you see the Bugnax example that's exactly the case of something wrong made good, you have no pressure to release a game like that, no one is expecting it, it does not matter if its a good game or not, you can make fun of it because it does not hurt your brand, it isn't representative of anything you have promoted or promised before... And if the game has great gameplay (which I doubt) you have a lot of publicity running for it and no one will be quiet once is released, if the game is actually good, we will hear about it for long weeks...
I have a feeling Bugsnax will be a hit and go viral. It’s a silly game that some youtubers will cover just for the memes, if Young Horses was smart enough, they hid plenty of viral moments on the game to help it blow on social media. Or maybe the story will take an interesting turn as the end of their trailers... It low key builds hype.

I think Sony’s curation for indies on the PS5 reveal was pretty good. You have indies for the memes, indies for the art and indies that punch way above their weight like Kena.

(Does not applies to Volcano High)

Vaztu

I found out that the twitter user may not be the person actually handling it. So that GPS location could be suspect.

Here's the site where the photos originated from.

Thanks. Relevant Bits from that Forum:

1. "I have got the handle, the shoulder button and trigger button feel better than 4, the joystick is still the same, and the others were taken away by my colleagues without careful testing."
2. "There is a blue light on the periphery of the touchpad, there is no sb light bar for ds4 "
3. "This option and share feel too comfortable, it feels like a mechanical button when pressed, it is no longer the light and fluttering feel before "
4. "Haha, let’s just take a look at it. I guess they don’t understand. In short, the data protocol of the PS5 controller is the same as that of the PS4, so it is logically compatible with each other. "
5. "I have tested it now, and the ps5 handle is not responding when plugged into the ps4, which is very strange, let’s look at the reason later. "
6. "Brothers, the handle has been disassembled, and the supplier’s logo is affixed to each chip inside. This is confidential and the photos will not be released. I still have a bottom line"
7. "However, I can tell you that the mechanical structure of this trigger is particularly complicated, and it should be able to adjust the damping adaptively as advertised."
8. "The production cost of this generation of handles is very high. If you want to buy a handle separately later, it is definitely not the price of DS4. "
9. "Fortunately, I didn’t post a picture of the internal structure. I didn’t expect it to be so popular. Forget it. I’ll post tomorrow. I wanted to help everyone out. Now I have to consider the risk issue. The boss found it. I'm gone "

Some points to note:
OP mentions "It’s even more so now. I still have to work during the day. This is not a project I took over. I will see if I have the opportunity to ask my colleague to take a few more pictures in the afternoon."

While another poster questions the picture as it doesn't look consistent to official pictures.
4XTWRCa.jpg

This is done from Google Translate and is not 100% correct.

Edit:

Few more tidbits: (Now using DeepL)
1. "Forgot to mention this, ds4 is left and right channels, mic mono, ds5 is 4 channels, mic two channels, not sure what's going on."
2. "Also, the PS5 grip is bigger mainly because of this trigger, this piece of internal structure takes up too much space, the rest of it doesn't really change much"
3. "The shoulder and trigger keys feel much better, the arrow keys and joystick are still the same, and the four keys on the right feel slightly stiffer than the ds4's"
4. "Our company's customers are officially authorized by Sony, do not believe yourself to search for nacon brand it, they a Sony production of a lot of handles are used our company's solutions." (Looks like 3rd party controllers outsource it to these guys)

Last edited:
Sure, but just because something worked in a completely different environment, doesn't translate to it working in the console space, especially for that time. It wasn't friends and family though, it was family with some vagueness around what would and would not be approved. Of course humans being humans started with the ... what if my son is off at college, how is this checked, is it by IP address etc. And the communication around this was really really poor.

I never owned a PlayStation in my life up to this point. I was Sega up to the Saturn, wasn't even aware the Dreamcast was released before it was killed (wasn't paying much attention at the time), then switched to Xbox with the OG and later the 360. Despite 2 RRoD I was buying the next gen xbox. Until that reveal.
no, like on windows, it would be up to you to set your group, you wouldn't have to prove that anybody in your list is your kin :messenger_beaming:
and IF people were smart, they would pursuade microsoft make this deal even sweeter (because it was groundbreaking and changing the de facto), instead of pulling out the pitchforks and the torches and crucifying them at midnight :messenger_beaming:

I remember very well what happened during those times, you couldn't even count a dozen of us that were discussing how this might be good. All the rest, pitchforks and that playstation share video :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

saintjules

Thanks. Relevant Bits from that Forum:

1. "I have got the handle, the shoulder button and trigger button feel better than 4, the joystick is still the same, and the others were taken away by my colleagues without careful testing."
2. "There is a blue light on the periphery of the touchpad, there is no sb light bar for ds4 "
3. "This option and share feel too comfortable, it feels like a mechanical button when pressed, it is no longer the light and fluttering feel before "
4. "Haha, let’s just take a look at it. I guess they don’t understand. In short, the data protocol of the PS5 controller is the same as that of the PS4, so it is logically compatible with each other. "
5. "I have tested it now, and the ps5 handle is not responding when plugged into the ps4, which is very strange, let’s look at the reason later. "
6. "Brothers, the handle has been disassembled, and the supplier’s logo is affixed to each chip inside. This is confidential and the photos will not be released. I still have a bottom line"
7. "However, I can tell you that the mechanical structure of this trigger is particularly complicated, and it should be able to adjust the damping adaptively as advertised."
8. "The production cost of this generation of handles is very high. If you want to buy a handle separately later, it is definitely not the price of DS4. "
9. "Fortunately, I didn’t post a picture of the internal structure. I didn’t expect it to be so popular. Forget it. I’ll post tomorrow. I wanted to help everyone out. Now I have to consider the risk issue. The boss found it. I'm gone "

Some points to note:
OP mentions "It’s even more so now. I still have to work during the day. This is not a project I took over. I will see if I have the opportunity to ask my colleague to take a few more pictures in the afternoon."

While another poster questions the picture as it doesn't look consistent to official pictures.
4XTWRCa.jpg

This is done from Google Translate and is not 100% correct.

Yeah, that Controller definitely looks expensive af. Maybe $79.99USD new?

JonnyMP3

no, like on windows, it would be up to you to set your group, you wouldn't have to prove that anybody in your list is your kin :messenger_beaming:
and IF people were smart, they would pursuade microsoft make this deal even sweeter (because it was groundbreaking and changing the de facto), instead of pulling out the pitchforks and the torches and crucifying them at midnight :messenger_beaming:

I remember very well what happened during those times, you couldn't even count a dozen of us that were discussing how this might be good. All the rest, pitchforks and that playstation share video :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
But the problem is the check in so as great as theory as it is like 99% of the time. The moment you don't have any Internet, you are screwed.
I don't know about anyone else in the UK but my ISP has been having a few issues this weekend because of the heatwave.
So that means if we did go the Microsoft route, me and others like me, would have been shit out of luck this weekend. And the other weekends before when the Internet has been down. Which during quarentine and being at home more than normal... It's happened a few times in the last 6 months.
So despite being good in theory to get more for just the 1 single copy... It's still not a good idea in practise as it needs the connection component.
Same issue with PC's not connecting to the correct servers to verify.
But that's from Microsoft's software point of view really. Not a console maker and games players point of view.

But the problem is the check in so as great as theory as it is like 99% of the time. The moment you don't have any Internet, you are screwed.
I don't know about anyone else in the UK but my ISP has been having a few issues this weekend because of the heatwave.
So that means if we did go the Microsoft route, me and others like me, would have been shit out of luck this weekend. And the other weekends before when the Internet has been down. Which during quarentine and being at home more than normal... It's happened a few times in the last 6 months.
So despite being good in theory to get more for just the 1 single copy... It's still not a good idea in practise as it needs the connection component.
Same issue with PC's not connecting to the correct servers to verify.
But that's from Microsoft's software point of view really. Not a console maker and games players point of view.
As I already wrote, IF we were smart we could have persuaded microsft to sweeten the deal more.
That check-in was some bytes long and could be done in few seconds with mobile.
Right now if you are doing the console sharing thing as it was amputated to be, without internet you can play only the games the other person bought unless you go offline mode.

schaft0620

Yeah, that Controller definitely looks expensive af. Maybe $79.99USD new?

I'm thinking $100. I bet we get a good price on the console ($450-$500) but the controller and headset will be a lot.

My guess $99.99 for a dual sense this year but they will frequently be on sale.

$149.99 for the headset.

$60 for the camera

$30 for the media remote

$40 for the charging station

JonnyMP3

As I already wrote, IF we were smart we could have persuaded microsft to sweeten the deal more.
That check-in was some bytes long and could be done in few seconds with mobile.
Right now if you are doing the console sharing thing as it was amputated to be, without internet you can play only the games the other person bought unless you go offline mode.
Yeah. But then we'd have to faff and set up the console with the phone hot-spot and all that. And what if both the Internet and mobile went down because of storms or something? I know we've become accustomed to the Internet as a utility but if it does go down and you're someone who has their whole house wired up? Just not as simple as popping in a disc.
Minimum is, without anything but a console and a TV... A disc will work anywhere, any time.

Neo Blaster

Every once and a while I listen to the RDX podcast, and today I just had to because I needed to hear their reaction to the Halo Infinite news. For being an Xbox podcast, they always seem to take jabs at Sony for no reason and its always so awkward. This time they all spoke about how the PS5 isn't launching with a killer app either, and thus don't understand why people should be anymore excited for it.

Just had to vent about the damage control. It's really a guilty pleasure listening to them.
Like I said before here, are Xbox users trying to drag PS into Xbox mess? Looks like they either forgot about Spiderman or think it won't be ready for launch.

I bet they sill come out with a $399 and $249 price tag to compensate for the torrent of bad news lately.

I still think 399$ for the XSX is unlikely. At best it will he the same price as DE PS5 with the disk version being more expensive. At worse it will price match the PS5 with the DE undercutting it.

It's my prediction.

Upcoming next-gen news is probably Hot Chips.

Microsoft is scheduled to speak on Monday 17th August, sometime between 5-6.30 PM.

Too bad the stream isn't free to view.

Expect AnandTech to publish an article after that presentation detailing the specifics of that presentation, they like doing that. And their articles are very in-depth. So Keep an eye out for that!!!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I bet they sill come out with a $399 and $249 price tag to compensate for the torrent of bad news lately.

I think if those were the prices MS would have been super proud of those and we would have knows by now.

I feel pretty confident the XsS will be $299 could be lower if they offer a controllerless sku which I know most people hate but I would be in a second for $249 as I have tons of current gen controllers dont need another.

The XsX is a bit more tricky I see it being $499 but not near as confident on this pricing right now.

Nowcry

The point of this discussion is, could the PS5 have a larger GPU? yes as far as we know, then we will find out the truth when it is disassembled, looking only at the "Road to PS5" we do not know the size of the "Geometry Engines" "Coeherency Engines" and what else does Mark have threaded ... Could he have one Bigger GPU? We just don't know why we haven't seen it yet ...

On the xbox one they increased the clock because it was a unique thing that they were able to do, and today we know that it was the fault of ESram and DDR3 ...
We simply won't be able to know, because I'm sure the PS5 APU is a Chiplets-APU based.
Each Chiplet could be screen-printed with a different nm according to its price performance.
The comparison will be very complicated.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

You guys are so overreacting to the Halo news. LOL

I'm hoping we get a Forza announcement/details soon, just to silence the Sony patrol for a minute. :messenger_beaming:
Unless they say Forza is in the launch lineup this November, which is obviously impossible, there's nothing they can say about the game to alleviate the Halo blow.

Neo Blaster

Apple already is in the gaming market. iPhone, IPad, Apple TV. App Store and Apple Arcade service. They have big name games like Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty Mobile, plus indies like Sky (sequel to Journey) and various other mobile games.

It’s not real console gaming, like we would want, but it is a legit sector of the gaming market.

Will Apple ever release a dedicated game box? With Apple Silicon, SSD, and dedicated gaming controller? No way. They just want to sell iPhones.

Honestly though, I wish they would. The Apple TV 4K is tiny! It’s silent, passively cooled, solid state, and can run games at up to 4K. Sure it’s mobile games but still, for the size of the device, it’s impressive. And now Apple’s new chips are far ahead of what that Apple TV has inside.

If they made a gaming box, it’d be super impressive, solid state and compact, and best of all, silent. Sadly, it wouldn’t have many ports or be user upgradable at all. And it would cost a lot.
Apple is already well positioned in a gaming market far more lucrative than console gaming, why would they even bother?

I think if those were the prices MS would have been super proud of those and we would have knows by now.

What I think is that Microsoft is unsure of Sonys pricing strategy. If they knew that it would be impossible for the competition to undercut them with either model they wouldn't he hiding the price for this long.

However there's always the possibility that they are saving the price to make Sony look bad when they announce theirs.

I'm not sure what's going to happen but both Microsoft and Sony have two different models that they are going to sell. Sony with the DE PS5 and Microsoft with the Xbox Series S.

To he honest the Series S was rumored for the longest time so in not surprised by it. But the DE PS5 caught me off guard.

Neo Blaster

all that doom and gloom...

I recommend you look at some financial analysts forecasts for msft stock prices and their recommendations, also their financial results for The last couple of years, that management that is in “disarray” delivers excellent growth and forecasts are suggesting that it will continue, but yeah, som broken pc’s are a proof that company is failing.

Looks like that's not working for Xbox division so far.

sircaw

Banned

I feel pretty confident the XsS will be $299 could be lower if they offer a controllerless sku which I know most people hate but I would be in a second for $249 as I have tons of current gen controllers dont need another.

The XsX is a bit more tricky I see it being $499 but not near as confident on this pricing right now.

I don't know why you are wasting people's time with all this rubbish about exclusive games and pricing.

#The only thing people want to know from you is, are you buying bugsnax day one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom