• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
You must have air conditioning to live in such heat.

I once lived in a place called Thabazimbi, South Africa, when i used to work on a platinum mine, temps were up to the 40s as well, needed air-con, and believe it or not a heater in the winter lol.
Yes, air conditioning and not swamp coolers but real air (heat pumps) is basically required here. I mean, yes there's an outdoor homeless population but not very many out in the open during the summer! And yes, it is dry. If it gets up to 20% here we feel like we're swimming. Typically <10% humidity. Often like 3%.

The amount of CUs was less because the APU had 32MB of ESRAM that took a huge amount of mm^2. The point is after the bad June E3 showing Microsoft's Andrew Goossen (Now architect on XSX APU) and Nick Baker sat down with DF 3 months later and gave a very detailed breakdown of why actual games on Xbox One would be equal/better than PS4 due to increased clocks. A lot of sound logic seemingly abandoned.
well, andrew goosen was sincere when he said that with xbone they didn't try to build a powerhouse, but rather a "balanced" machine. somewhere on youtube there must be the video where he speaks about it.
that was again damage control of course, but it was kind of sincere because they admitted the obvious, that xbone was not powerful enough for its time and its expected duration (both xbone and ps4 had equivalent of mid tier- gpus of their time and weak-ass cpus. ps4 in a slightly lesser degree but also was 100% saved and championed the even less powerful xbone).
then, I have to remind you that ms's plan was so STUPID that on top they also had reserved a full 10% of these limited resources for kinect.
again, in my opinion a tremendously STUPID plan from microsoft, probably because they saw nintendo selling a toaster with a remote and gathering the billions and got envious. they paid the price.

I have some questions about PS5's variable clocks and how it may affect the I/O block elements.

At what clock speed(s) do the various I/O blocks run at? All the same clock as each other or independently different? Do they run at the CPU or GPU clock rate?

Anyone have any insight?
Yes. think of it more like a seewaw, where for one (gpu-cpu) to have full mhz the other cuts frequency, and the opposite.
I have written about this, carefully analyzing what cerny said, but of course what he didnt say is how much lower each clock runs in order for the other to run at full speed. just some vague example that to cut x% consumption you only need a much less y% downclocking.
but of course the higher the clock, the higher the consumption and the thermals, thats why a stripdown and a hands-on is needed.

BizarroPete

Where do they mention BC?

They have no choice on Xbox.

GQX77a9.jpg

sircaw

Banned
I lived in Nevada, Las Vegas to be exact. When I was homeless, I was in a situation where I had to hang out with fellow stragglers for survival, when things went south, I left the camp we made to find a more civilized shelter but i had to walk at least 6 miles of Mohave desert in 103 degree Fahrenheit weather... IN JANUARY!!!

You were Homeless in Vegas, sounds like a sequel to sleepless in Seattle?

I hope you have landed on feet now. You being such joker and all i kinda see why it would be Vegas. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

BizarroPete

That's not backwards compatibility...

The game will definitely work on XSX, and almost certainly on PS5 too (unless it's broken in BC and they refuse to patch.)

You just won't get the next-gen enhanced version.
Sorry, I misread the comment. I guess I'm still pretty mad at their decision not to enhance the standard version.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I lived in Nevada, Las Vegas to be exact. When I was homeless, I was in a situation where I had to hang out with fellow stragglers for survival, when things went south, I left the camp we made to find a more civilized shelter but i had to walk at least 6 miles of Mohave desert in 103 degree Fahrenheit weather... IN JANUARY!!!

Vegas is just a TAD cooler than Phoenix in the summer's. That must have been one rough time, buddy. Glad that things are better for you now! Last year during the summer I got a call from the police. A person they had picked up that had issues and was on the street gave them my name. I'm glad that happened. Turned out to be a former employee of mine who must have just remembered my name since he was back in the area. Veteran and IT guy, but he had had several heart issues and had some mental issues and got dumped by his girlfriend apparently while they were on a trip here (I don't know the whole story). Just...the guy wasn't the same guy I had worked with, lets say that. Anyway, I worked with some other vets and got him into a program with housing and treatment- thank god! I don't think he would have made it thru the summer on the streets with his health condition. Bottom line, shit happens. Even if you're fat and cozy in your house right now playing your PS4.....you are not many turns of fortune away from being on the street! Helps if we can all look out for the people we know and try to prevent that from happening. Might need the help ourselves some day!

Used-ID

I just thought about something with Microsoft's game pass....

What about people being banned for cheating/hacks?

The ban threads across the internet forums will be biblical.

JonnyMP3

I think that game is getting undeserved hate. It's not Call of Duty, but looks like it might be a light-hearted and fun experience. Definitely not for everyone, but I like seeing a wider variety of games as opposed to everything being playing as a giant space-marine who just has to shoot everything that moves. :) A little variety is GREAT!
Whoa! I think you misunderstood.
I LOVE BUGSNAX!

I meant the Twitter feed was bait 😂

sircaw

Banned
I think that game is getting undeserved hate. It's not Call of Duty, but looks like it might be a light-hearted and fun experience. Definitely not for everyone, but I like seeing a wider variety of games as opposed to everything being playing as a giant space-marine who just has to shoot everything that moves. :) A little variety is GREAT!

I said this before, my niece will love that game, as long as i don't have to play it with her.

I think its good to have variety but i draw the line at that Volcano game, Sorry yewles1 yewles1 , i know you are looking forward to it.

To my other furry, flurry, Mcflurry oreo addition friends, whatever they call themselves, love to you all too. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
When I heard Cyberpunk is enough to sell XSX, I think the people forget where CD Projekt Red has more sells.

Cyberpunk will work great to sell more new GPUs in PC and more PS4.

Always hurts when I see that because PS4 got the worst port of that game........These guys only enhanced the game on PRO, almost a year after PRO launched, closer to when they knew XBONEX was launching and took their sweet time with XBOX port to make it as best as they could with a 60fps mode to boot.....For next gen, I just hope they know where there bread is buttered.....

Neo Blaster

Was it though? That seems like exactly the kind of magical thinking I've seen a bit of on these boards from Sony fans. The multi-plat games looked better head-to-head on the 360 so I think it's fair to say that the 360 was more powerful in practical terms.

When we see the head-to-heads on the next-gen machines we'll know for sure which is more powerful. My money is on the machine with the highest specs, but we'll see.
Cell was a beast difficult to tame, just look how those who did it(mostly Sony studios) came out with games with much better graphics than 360.

T-Cake

Always hurts when I see that because PS4 got the worst port of that game........These guys only enhanced the game on PRO, almost a year after PRO launched, closer to when they knew XBONEX was launching and took their sweet time with XBOX port to make it as best as they could with a 60fps mode to boot.....For next gen, I just hope they know where there bread is buttered.....

Is the 30fps unlocked on PS4 Pro or forever stuck at that? I never knew this, what a bummer.

jose4gg

Is incredible how you can use a bad thing to make a great thing, you see the Bugnax example that's exactly the case of something wrong made good, you have no pressure to release a game like that, no one is expecting it, it does not matter if its a good game or not, you can make fun of it because it does not hurt your brand, it isn't representative of anything you have promoted or promised before... And if the game has great gameplay (which I doubt) you have a lot of publicity running for it and no one will be quiet once is released, if the game is actually good, we will hear about it for long weeks...

MastaKiiLA

I think he is referring to the feel of the buttons just pressing normally, device not on, and comparing to the DS4.

However, he wouldn't need a PS5 or a game to drive the haptics. I'm sure Sony has some test software to exercise all modes of the DualSense. Whether this guy has access to that is the question.
Given all the circuitboards in the screenshot, they can probably simulate via USB inputs. Just a guess. Not sure what else you'd need those for.

sircaw

Banned

There has to be other stuff in the pipeline, from both Microsoft and Sony.

Big surprises hopefully still to come but for the love of God they are both dragging or saving themselves.

Reminds me of when I was a teenager, all I wanted to do was skip the first and second base and get to the goodies.

Nevermind, bad example above, "lollipop_disappointed:

then, I have to remind you that ms's plan was so STUPID that on top they also had reserved a full 10% of these limited resources for kinect.
again, in my opinion a tremendously STUPID plan from microsoft, probably because they saw nintendo selling a toaster with a remote and gathering the billions and got envious. they paid the price.

The Kinect on the 360 was due to Nintendo and the Wii, and it was (according to Guinness) the fastest selling consumer electronics device on record. 360 Kinect sales were probably the reason it was included (rather than as an accessory) with the XB1. However, if MS had any telemetry, or analysed it, they would have known that once the novelty of the Kinect wore off, gamers didn't use it. Speaking from personal experience. So, Kinect on XB1 was obviously a stupid decision in hindsight. US499 as a result of that, yes it's a big disadvantage.

However it wasn't the worst decision. That was saved for the XB1 reveal, and involved the DRM and the need to pay a fee to activate pre owned disks or disks loaned to you from your friend. That was the decision that killed them. The negative press from that alone drove sales to PlayStation. Including my own. The backtracking on it afterwards was too late. The damage was done. I'm sure many books could be written about that time. They were a generation too early with that. Maybe 1.5 gens too early.

saintjules

How accurate is Twitter location GPS? One of those images says it is being posted from a Beijing shopping mall?

If products are in the wild like with the PS3 and PS4 slim everything will leak.

I found out that the twitter user may not be the person actually handling it. So that GPS location could be suspect.

Here's the site where the photos originated from.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

The Kinect on the 360 was due to Nintendo and the Wii, and it was (according to Guinness) the fastest selling consumer electronics device on record. 360 Kinect sales were probably the reason it was included (rather than as an accessory) with the XB1. However, if MS had any telemetry, or analysed it, they would have known that once the novelty of the Kinect wore off, gamers didn't use it. Speaking from personal experience. So, Kinect on XB1 was obviously a stupid decision in hindsight. US499 as a result of that, yes it's a big disadvantage.

However it wasn't the worst decision. That was saved for the XB1 reveal, and involved the DRM and the need to pay a fee to activate pre owned disks or disks loaned to you from your friend. That was the decision that killed them. The negative press from that alone drove sales to PlayStation. Including my own. The backtracking on it afterwards was too late. The damage was done. I'm sure many books could be written about that time. They were a generation too early with that. Maybe 1.5 gens too early.
Which gave Sony the nuclear bomb they needed to end it all!

This wasn't just a headshot. It was a Double Tap!

to the drm thing I disagree. they were going to use the family licensing thingy as it worked back then at windows, were you could set up a (LARGE) team of accounts as "friends & family" and share one purchase with ten people.
It is how the message was not delivered properly (xbox mouthpieces should have studied more) and how sony used it (famous "this is how to share on ps4" video) that fucked it up, only to see now, before the same generation has ended that digital sales amount in many cases to more than 50% of total purchases.

if today I told you that you are going digital, but you can share with ten people, I am pretty sure you would think that this is a GREAT deal.

thelastword

Banned
I think CDPR might revisit The Witcher 3 for next-gen, maybe after they've got a break from Cyberpunk. 4K60 might happen.
I have no doubt. Should be an easy 4k 60 this time around.....The game has been out for a while, it's an older game now and it's been patched to kingdom come already....I should expect much more impressive games graphically to run 4k 60fps on PS5. Like TLOU2 for example...So Witcher 3 should be a no brainer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It turned out OsirisWacko was a Full Of Shit insider. He was fooling everybody on purpose. He even admitted to it in his final post saying something like “you shouldn’t listen to anything I say either.” Who has the time to lie to people for years on end? Must have a boring life.

There was that other fake inside posting nonsense along with him too.

WOW! This is sad. I didn't know he was lying for years and years.

sircaw

Banned
He didn't notice the lemon juice we added, did he?

This is what I mean about Abuse on this forum, When Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem used to be here, not a mean word was muttered against me.

I am not sure if Bo qualifies as a White knight and all, but you just wait until he comes back, charging in with saber in hand on his Shetland pony, there will be blood.

You're first on the hitlist porkpie.

AeneaGames

And you tried to hitch hike but no one would stop for you, then two girls with a flat tyre were up ahead and you offered to help them. They said sure since neither one of them had ever changed a tyre. They then gave you a ride. A police car asked the girls before you were done changing tyre if they would be alright. He was worried you might do something to them. But all went well and they dropped you off where you wanted to go...

OK, it would be seriously funny if this is what happened to you because it means we've met! 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom