• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That equation only works if you establish the Ps5’s 10.28 tflops as 100%, and the 12 tflops in the Series X as being beyond 100%.

This is a bad way to do the calculation, because we must take the Series X as the 100% mark, as it’s the more powerful.

So, if you take the Series X as the maximum in the calculation, then you have to work out what percentage 10.28 tflops is of the full 100% 12 tflops. That’s about 85% - therefore a 15% disadvantage to the Series X.

10.28 is 85% of 12. 100 - 85 = 15.

Maths is ... fun?

None of us know this yet. We can only calculate the full GPU usage of both consoles right now, and extrapolate from there.
Ok thanks for the correction
Anyway 3% doesn't change the argument.
The console architecture is vastly different and the GPUs only share the same IPC gain from RDNA2 everything else seems to be totally different.
You cannot predict performance, you need to wait for actual 3rd party games to come out and compare.

Off the top of my head:

- PS5 was overclocked at the last minute
- PS5 boosts to 10.3tflops only, its 'base clock' is 9tflops, Cerny lying
- Devs are having a nightmare making games for it
- It's overheating
- The console is twice as big as Series X (fake measurement image being taken as gospel).
- Sony paid Tim Sweeney to say PS5 is a game changer
- UE5 demo was running on a Chinese laptop no problem
- PS5 is struggling with RE8 @ 1080P/60fps
- PS5 struggles with 4K games

I've missed a few :messenger_beaming:
-PS5 struggles to render Craig at 480p. The console overheated and showed this message: Fuck,,,,, this sucks.

Neo Blaster

TY5uijb.jpg

In the first week of this month Switch sold around 3x times PS4 and 12x times Xbox one.
giphy.gif
And people still hope for a beefed up Switch 2 with DLSS...why bother to spend more on hardware if the current underpowered one is selling bonkers?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ps5 also has features beyond RDNA 2 yes?

Think of it like AMD has a roadmap, they have a menu, and from that menu you can pick XYZ according to your needs and on top of that you add custom silicon that might or not become part of AMD's roadmap in the future.

On Xbox's side, because of Directx 12, and you know the Xbox is called "X" because of Direct X, the hardware more closely adheres to tech you will see in consumer GPUs because Microsoft works together with Nvidia and AMD to define standards for its cross platform API. This is why porting from PC to Xbox is more straightforward, even if it doesn't mean the end results are better.

Regarding PS5, because Sony doesn't have a cross platform API, they are a bit more free to customize bits and pieces in alignment with their own goals. With this upcoming console, their design seems to be mostly focused on leveraging Geometry and I/O capabilities, so you see that customization at the GPU level play its part.

Yes they are both RDNA2, but not in the same way that two RDNA 2 SKUs will be when they are up on the shelves. Depending on the game, one console will have an advantage over the other. Because of the compute advantage though, XSX will have a more consistent advantage.

Neo Blaster

How much does an RT reflection vs traditional methods actually make to a game when often we don't know which is which, or we even miss them entirely.

Will see firsthand soon enough. If the effect is negligible for 30fps cut, it's going off and never coming back. This could be the biggest over hypement since 3d television.

I appreciate full on ray tracing can be transformative, but were not there yet.
Honestly, I need to be shown two screenshots of RT on and off just to be able to tell the difference. I just don't care about what is 'under the hood' if image quality is pristine, be it RT or Lumen in UE5 demo.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Someone made a very large list, i can't remember who, its lost 500 pages back cry.

I wonder what is the Xbox series X fud list in comparison... considering there is a lot more playstation fan it should be longer ... right?

Yet I'm pretty sure it is not, kinda like Xbox extremists fans have been amongst the shittiest posters on internet.

And even better some of the worst playstation extremists fans were just Xbox extremists fans that got disapointed it makes you wonder sometimes .
If it is inherently its community(which would be stupid because every type of individuals can be found in both)

But maybe ...juste maybe... they've been fuelling the console warriors and weaponized their warriors to an extent no other console manufacturer did thus letting them be shitty and sometimes validating directly or indirectly their behaviour.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Honestly, I need to be shown two screenshots of RT on and off just to be able to tell the difference. I just don't care about what is 'under the hood' if image quality is pristine, be it RT or Lumen in UE5 demo.

Dynamic GI is the biggest differentiator with RT reflections in second place. SSR is such a good effect that it diminishes the impact of RT reflections aside from very specific scenes but GI is the truth. Fully path tracing in complex games is ten years away from being a real option.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I wonder what is the Xbox series X fud list in comparison... considering there is a lot more playstation fan it should be longer ... right?

Yet I'm pretty sure it is not, kinda like Xbox extremists fans have been amongst the shittiest posters on internet.

And even better some of the worst playstation extremists fans were just Xbox extremists fans that got disapointed it makes you wonder sometimes .
If it is inherently its community(which would be stupid because every type of individuals can be found in both)

But maybe ...juste maybe... they've been fuelling the console warriors and weaponized their warriors to an extent no other console manufacturer did thus letting them be shitty and sometimes validating directly or indirectly their behaviour.

that point you made there is spot on, we all know its like 2-1 maybe 3-1 in favor of Sony, so you would expect that in the fud but its exactly the opposite.

So strange how that works.

Seriously I think the reason there is so much FUD one way is simply because Sony fans are too busy playing nice first party games the last few years you're not concerned about spreading misinformation. When you're 'winning' you don't need to resort to such low tactics, you tend to be happier and less bitter :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

quest

Not Banned from OT

Yep because Sony warriors are not surfing the internet all day to find potential bad series x news to post here lol. Medium does not have ray tracing and get 200 rabid fan boys calling Phil a liar ect. The constant trolling and baiting every series x thread that is remotely positive. The new tactic of trying to taint playground and other legitimate Microsoft studios with 343. Yes it is the only the evil xbox guys lol.

RookX22

Little off topic but I only want solid 30 fps with the new switch but the main thing I would like is a sleek modern looking switch not as loud and no bezels. So nothing hit this week I hope we get something next. I just want to see the OS features and how fast they are.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
that point you made there is spot on, we all know its like 2-1 maybe 3-1 in favor of Sony, so you would expect that in the fud but its exactly the opposite.

So strange how that works.
So you're telling me in a gen were sony dominated mindshare and sales even made some diehard xbox fans do 180°.
And on a place called by some as SonyGaf there is a lot more bullshit and downplaying toward sony than toward Xbox ?
It really is sonygaf then ... It's so much the place of sony that it gets relentlessly shat on by fake news and FUD ...

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm surprised DF hasn't made a video compiling all the next gen console games with Ray Tracing.
Well Alex can't even recognize a game clearly exhibiting ray tracing.But he'll probably make a list of games he hopes will have raytracing... then mention halo,fable,avowed and forza.
Because sony games don't exhibits raytracing .... none of them...none that Alex can see though.

sircaw

Banned
So you're telling me in a gen were sony dominated mindshare and sales even made some diehard xbox fans do 180°.
And on a place called by some as SonyGaf there is a lot more bullshit and downplaying toward sony than toward Xbox ?
It really is sonygaf then ... It's so much the place of sony that it gets relentlessly shat on by fake news and FUD ...

It is sad but it is true.

I mean think about when the week of Craig happened, ok it was terrible if you were an Xbox fan it was horrific, granted., saying that, it was Phil spencers fault, to let a game debut like that with those problems. Self-inflicted wound.

Saying all that, a week later, we are straight back on the Sony issues again. It is crazy.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Currently, I'm on the "We still don't know price, release date, at least one of the consoles' teardown, whether or not what we're seeing is in game vs. anything else from PS5 stuff, pretty much anything running in any form on an XSX other than Minecraft, storage solutions and costs details, game future game release dates, accessories pricing, ...etc." train. I don't believe in warring over speculation.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep because Sony warriors are not surfing the internet all day to find potential bad series x news to post here lol. Medium does not have ray tracing and get 200 rabid fan boys calling Phil a liar ect. The constant trolling and baiting every series x thread that is remotely positive. The new tactic of trying to taint playground and other legitimate Microsoft studios with 343. Yes it is the only the evil xbox guys lol.
Yet again you fail to understand a basic point that's quite common with you I believe mister "I dunno the difference between small ans smaller".
Did I say no sony fans did it? No just to a way lesser extent than the 2:1/3:1 sales lead to believe, check a FUD list.
By the way nobody trashed playground games to my knowledge but please enlighten me.
About the Medium when you stamp it with a raytracing logo then removes it, even by mistake, is a lot more ground than a youtube comment by a random douche saying the ps5 is overheating.
And Phil lied countless times unless you can play Vr on Xbox one X or that he no longer does timed exclusivity or the parity clause or other examples those were just a droplet in an ocean.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It is sad but it is true.

I mean think about when the week of Craig happened, ok it was terrible if you were an Xbox fan it was horrific, granted., saying that, it was Phil spencers fault, to let a game debut like that with those problems. Self-inflicted wound.

Saying all that, a week later, we are straight back on the Sony issues again. It is crazy.
Well that discord group needed time to regroup and prepare an attack.

Vroadstar

"Dusk Golem has said that he did come out with that info to try and even out the playfield after the recent Sony and MS news, because he felt bad for the Xbox fanbase. He felt things were too one sided". He mentioned this both on Ree and his tweet. LOL at "console warring is stupid" but let me balance the ship in favor of the poor xfans with my FUD take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

uhsCQtx.png

ksdixon

Has anyone heard any rumors that the Series S might be a handheld/"Xbox Switch"?

I'm not gonna lie, every time I think of that, I like the idea a whole lot more than an underpowered baby version of the Series X, or a streaming box (like a PSTV).

Nickolaidas

"Dusk Golem has said that he did come out with that info to try and even out the playfield after the recent Sony and MS news, because he felt bad for the Xbox fanbase. He felt things were too one sided". He mentioned this both on Ree and his tweet. LOL at "console warring is stupid" but let me balance the ship in favor of the poor xfans with my FUD take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

uhsCQtx.png
And now he's a mod on ERA no more and ridiculed by Matt on twitter. So ... yay, I guess, Dusk?

ksdixon

uhsCQtx.png

What the.... Fake tweet?
Because if not, that's incredibly cringe.

"Lemme defend this billion dollar company from the crap situation they have put themselves in."

They don't need you defending them. The games can talk for themselves. Right, Craig?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
You speak like you may have experience in this 'drug taking'
🤔
Lol

OK, being 100% honest here. Only since it was brought up.. I tried pot a few times years and years back. For some reason, it didn't actually seem to do anything that it was doing to my friends. I didn't get the munchies, I didn't feel the affects they did any of the times. I just felt like myself, so... I never tried again.

Anyway.. back to the fun stuff :)

JonnyMP3

OK, being 100% honest here. Only since it was brought up.. I tried pot a few times years and years back. For some reason, it didn't actually seem to do anything that it was doing to my friends. I didn't get the munchies, I didn't feel the affects they did any of the times. I just felt like myself, so... I never tried again.

Anyway.. back to the fun stuff :)
Yeah but what about the glue? Lol

Fair enough. Some people like weed. Some people don't. It's not such a big taboo anymore in the 21st century.

uhsCQtx.png

'You're not allowed to be down on XBOX!' - FUD Golem

Did he think for a second that things were one sided because Sony was just doing better at the time? Why didn't he think things were one sided when MS were dominating the news with 12TF and the 9.2 Github leaks

The PowerPC processors used in Macs at that time were a good bit ahead of Intel and the Pentium product line. Unfortunately, this was during the decline of Motorola. They simply could not keep up with the advantage and couldn't produce chips in meaningful quantities that would break the 2ghz barrier. So Intel caught up and surpassed them. Caused a breakup of the Apple/Motorola partnership and Apple moved to Intel processors where they have stayed until this year and the forthcoming move to ARM. Interesting times....

Why did Apple move to Intel?

The idea was that IBM couldn't deliver the performance per watt that Intel could over the coming years, and that was one of the primary reasons for the transition away from the PowerPC architecture.

Alex Scott

Guys.we can create different thread about people spreading FUD for PS5 but let's not post those stuff here. It belongs in a different thread.
Tbank you
PS - I really like this thread.

sircaw

Banned

uhsCQtx.png

This is simply unbelievable if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom