• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Thankfully that account is banned. Praise be to the mods
giphy.gif

Dude, seriously - you've had your fun, but can you please now fuck off out of this thread with your stupid PS games coming to PC bullshit?!

Sony won't even put their big hitters on PS Now right away because it makes no business sense. And here's you saying they're going to put all their games on a rival platform? Yeah, that makes sense. Invest billions of dollars in a games console all to tell gamers they don't actually need to buy it because the computer they've got will play them anyway.

Great way to put oneself out of business, fast. What about that don't you understand?

Fucking idiot.
ah the classic vfxveteran, his posts in the past have made him look like an idiot!

Educate yourself before trying to "educate" others. You know jackshit about real-time graphics.
I absolutely agree with you. Since this "visual effects veteran", as he calls himself, carried incredible nonsense and did not understand that the current level of graphics can reach a much higher level on the current hardware. This is how console generations work. But this individual did not want to admit such an obvious fact. I do not believe a single delusional word of him.

llien

Consoles have traditionally pushed the envelope on what is technically feasible at the time of its launch
The major exception to this trend is with the PS4 and Xbox One. But that is the exception and not the norm

Moor's law have died.
That is why i5 from 2015 is still doing pretty well, why and that is why PS4/XBox one were "the exceptions".

All of this is to say to those that think a 1080TI or RTX 2080 is too expensive or big or out of reach etc, look at the past
It is not only about price and size.
TDP of 1800XT was a bit above 100W.
GPUs before it were in 2 digit area.
In game power consumption of 1080Ti/2080 is around 250W.

xPikYx

Honestly who cares about the backward compatibility, In a new generation I look for the new graphic leap and computing possibilities, from a business perspective, new consoles being compatible with the latest previous one might be appealing for the initial lack of games and some behind the scenes improvement to the image quality, and so compels some early comers. I surely won't buy it because it allows me to play psone/xbox games, lol I have the pc for that and still I don't play them because for the free time I have nowadays I'd rather spend it for new games not for old, unless I feel so much nostalgia to do it. I hope they are really focusing on giving us a great graphic leap and future, not the past, it's gone already let's look ahead

quest

Not Banned from OT
Honestly who cares about the backward compatibility, In a new generation I look for the new graphic leap and computing possibilities, from a business perspective, new consoles being compatible with the latest previous one might be appealing for the initial lack of games and some behind the scenes improvement to the image quality, and so compels some early comers. I surely won't buy it because it allows me to play psone/xbox games, lol I have the pc for that and still I don't play them because for the free time I have nowadays I'd rather spend it for new games not for old, unless I feel so much nostalgia to do it. I hope they are really focusing on giving us a great graphic leap and future, not the past, it's gone already let's look ahead
Its about protecting digital purchases. All that money spent is basically worthless. When I get a new phone my apps carry over just fine. If a person buys a new pc their steam games carry over just fine. It needs to be the same on consoles if they want to push digital purchases. Physical you can sell to recover some money at least.

Its about protecting digital purchases. All that money spent is basically worthless. When I get a new phone my apps carry over just fine. If a person buys a new pc their steam games carry over just fine. It needs to be the same on consoles if they want to push digital purchases. Physical you can sell to recover some money at least.
Exactly. Not to mention it's going to increase Sony's PSN revenue even more and it will allow them to phase out those aging PS3 motherboards on PS Now's cloud infrastructure.

What's not to like?

Reactions: TLZ

quest

Not Banned from OT
Exactly. Not to mention it's going to increase Sony's PSN revenue even more and it will allow them to phase out those aging PS3 motherboards on PS Now's cloud infrastructure.

What's not to like?
They will get more money from me. I only did 1 psn digital purchase this generation after being burned last time. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth honestly especially the PS1 games there's no excuse for those.

Ozrimandias

No one should believe this account, he is simply raising impossible expectations for Sony to meet just so fans can be disappointed no matter what.
Got my hopes real high.... deep inside, im still holding this, it would be te absolute killer feature that could wipe out nintendo and xbox. I have a huge amount of classics, those games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Chrono Trigger, Silent Hill 4, The Warriors, Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy VI.....those games doesn't deserve to die on PS3.

Tqaulity

Moor's law have died.
That is why i5 from 2015 is still doing pretty well, why and that is why PS4/XBox one were "the exceptions".

It is not only about price and size.
TDP of 1800XT was a bit above 100W.
GPUs before it were in 2 digit area.
In game power consumption of 1080Ti/2080 is around 250W.
Yep. Very true thanks for bringing this up. I’m aware of the difference in thermals and if you look at my post history, I’ve gone in depth on how the thermal envelope is so much higher today than it was 10-15 years ago for sure.
The difference this time around is that:
A) cooling solutions have become more advanced and feasible for console form factors as well. And
B) That’s why we’re not talking 2080ti or beyond. Again by end of next year, There will be a host of new high end GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia that will be 200W TDP and up. The equivalent of a 1080ti/RTX 2070 Super will be decidedly mid range by those standards. The absolute high end of the GPU spectrum in 2020 will not be feasible for a console due to the factors you mentioned such as heat, size, cost, etc. But I still think it’s exceedingly conservative to think that the next gen consoles will have anything below a 5700 as some have said

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Xbox One can play CD and DVD discs.

Are you talking music and film, or games?

For music and film, yes. The PS4 also plays DVD fillms and music. It is capable of reading CDs, they just didn't add the licensing codec.

As for games, the XB1 does not play them off the discs like the native hardware did, it sees the game and downloads and installs a digital version of select games, and uses the disc as DRM like it does for XB1 games.

Last edited:
Full PS1, PS2, and PS3 backward compatibility? Nah!

PS4 will likely work out of the box.

What'll probably happen with PS[1-3] compatibility is that you'll pop the disc in and it'll do something with PS Now.

If the PS5 DOES do PS[1-3] that would be amazing. But right now:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Are you talking music and film, or games?

For music and film, yes. The PS4 also plays DVD fillms and music. It is capable of reading CDs, they just didn't add the licensing codec.

As for games, the XB1 does not play them off the discs like the native hardware did, it sees the game and downloads and installs a digital version of select games, and uses the disc as DRM like it does for XB1 games.
Music and film yes. Just replying to the post that Blu-ray lens can't read CDs or DVDs, which isn't the case.

Is the licensing codec expensive? I can't imagine it being so. I wonder why Sony didn't bother.

bitbydeath

Where’s team 14TF at!?

According to the post, Microsoft Flight Simulator was running on a PC with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM and an Intel Core i7 processor (probably 9700K)

Last edited:

Fnord

I'm still not expecting PS3 BC. AFAIK, the PC-based PS3 emulator(s?) are still basically unusable and I doubt there's much Sony could do to change that, even given the inside info they have on the PS3. It's a matter of not having enough raw horsepower to overcome the architectural differences between Cell and x86. It took a crazy long time to get a usable Amiga emulator for the same reason. And when you add the pressure for Sony to make the experience seamless and stable for the end user, I just don't think it's going to happen. At least not on PS5. PS1 and PS2 should be relatively trivial, though.

Shmunter

I'm still not expecting PS3 BC. AFAIK, the PC-based PS3 emulator(s?) are still basically unusable and I doubt there's much Sony could do to change that, even given the inside info they have on the PS3. It's a matter of not having enough raw horsepower to overcome the architectural differences between Cell and x86. It took a crazy long time to get a usable Amiga emulator for the same reason. And when you add the pressure for Sony to make the experience seamless and stable for the end user, I just don't think it's going to happen. At least not on PS5. PS1 and PS2 should be relatively trivial, though.
Perhaps the cell can be partially emulated using the GPU? Either way, business wise I’m not sure Sony would bother. Would be nice.

stevecro7

Neo Member
Perhaps the cell can be partially emulated using the GPU? Either way, business wise I’m not sure Sony would bother. Would be nice.
Could they do xbox style Back Compat

put a xbox 360 disc in the xbox one

It can't run the game from disc, so it downloads the full game, with different instruction set

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Greatness Awaits!

“We tend to forget that it’s not just about getting better graphics in games with a new console, but it’s that the overall experience of using and playing on the console will get significantly better. PlayStation 5 is about making a really smooth, quick-to-load experience, and a hardware base that’s easy to use for us developers, which is great because it allows us to harness the hardware power quicker.”

xPikYx

Greatness Awaits!

“We tend to forget that it’s not just about getting better graphics in games with a new console, but it’s that the overall experience of using and playing on the console will get significantly better. PlayStation 5 is about making a really smooth, quick-to-load experience, and a hardware base that’s easy to use for us developers, which is great because it allows us to harness the hardware power quicker.”

Greatness awaits #believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom