• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
OMFG

I meant Elden Ring.

118394_200w.jpg

Eldritch Moon is a set from Magic the Gathering. No idea how it popped in my head.

I keep thinking that's a new flavor of monster munch ffs

Gamerguy84

Ill probably go for the DE first since it looks like theyre gonna come in hot.

I want them both though as I buy a mix of physical and digital.

First priority though is getting another internal drive to up that storage.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lucky dudes, I still live with my family. It would be a nightmare if I tried putting any TV bigger than 42 inches in my room! lol

I'm still living with my family, it's an Arab trait. :messenger_winking_tongue: But have like the 3rd floor for me, nothing much, but good enough. So the older TV goes to someone down, the oldest goes for charity, everyone is happy!

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yet to be seen, DX12 could have helped Microsoft due to the fact they have more games in production using it...
DX12 seems to be more helpful for PC games, less so for consoles.

“If your game is bottlenecked by the CPU, going to DirectX 12 or Vulkan will greatly help your game. But if you are bottlenecked by the GPU then the updated APIs will help little or not at all. Since many PC games are bottlenecked by the CPU, you will see massive gains there. However console games are usually bottlenecked by the GPU so I would not expect significant changes from newer APIs. The GPU is the same regardless of if you are using OpenGL, DirectX11/12, or Vulkan.”

“So if your game is bottlenecked by the overhead of telling the GPU what you want to do, then the APIs are a huge help. This situation happens a lot on PC games where you have a powerful card sitting idle because it can draw things faster than it can be told to draw them. But console games tend to keep the GPU working hard so there are less gains to be made.”

- developer John Hable on DirectX 12. His Twitter bio currently says he’s a rendering programmer at Epic working on UE.

jose4gg

DX12 seems to be more helpful for PC games, less so for consoles.

“If your game is bottlenecked by the CPU, going to DirectX 12 or Vulkan will greatly help your game. But if you are bottlenecked by the GPU then the updated APIs will help little or not at all. Since many PC games are bottlenecked by the CPU, you will see massive gains there. However console games are usually bottlenecked by the GPU so I would not expect significant changes from newer APIs. The GPU is the same regardless of if you are using OpenGL, DirectX11/12, or Vulkan.”

“So if your game is bottlenecked by the overhead of telling the GPU what you want to do, then the APIs are a huge help. This situation happens a lot on PC games where you have a powerful card sitting idle because it can draw things faster than it can be told to draw them. But console games tend to keep the GPU working hard so there are less gains to be made.”

- developer John Hable on DirectX 12. His Twitter bio currently says he’s a rendering programmer at Epic working on UE.

Yea, I'm just saying MS has a little bit more experience optimizing for production games with RT, so their API should be more ahead at least "it should" based on their previous experience on PC...

roops67

I remember having a crush on two women in my younger days one was Susana Hoffs from the bangles god i loved that woman.
Those big Bambi eyes, that hair, that voice, half goat i swear lol

then there was also this chick, i would of given my soul for her Goddammit.

sorry for derail people, you can have a break for two minutes to get your minds out of the tech.

Still derailing (I promise this is the last)....

'Just another Manic Monday aahaaa'
'Could have been Sunday aahaaa'

My heart melted watching her doe eyes while she was singing those lyrics. Yes me too had a mad crush on her during my youth... Prince sure knew how to pick em!

Can never forget...

You must of heard of Mazzy Star, she's been on Live with Jules Holland
Still get goosebumps hearing her sing and melt... erm melt like the T1000 Terminator into a floor maintaining perfect surface contact for excellent heat dissipation... gotta keep it on current subject yes!

kyliethicc

Yea, I'm just saying MS has a little bit more experience optimizing for production games with RT, so their API should be more ahead at least "it should" based on their previous experience on PC...
What games has Microsoft studios made before that have RT on PC? I’m not knowledgeable on that topic.

The idea of a console is to strip out the API’s and divisions that PC‘s use and be more direct. HSA and shared system memory, etc. Like what Tim Sweeney was saying about the PS5’s I/O architecture being better (more direct) than what’s on PC. I bet Sony are doing similar things for RT in order to get the most out of their machine. While Xbox seems to just be using the DX12 PC API and tackling it with lots of CU’s.

I’m not sure if one will actually be better than another, but looking at how PS Studios like Naughty Dog find a way to get games like The Last of Us Part 2 running on a base PS4, I’m more optimistic about their ability to extract the most out of their system than say, 343.

Last edited:

jose4gg

And we have not seen any yet except halo ?

This is my big issue with MS :/, literary I don't want to spread FUD, but to me is concerning they have just shown Minecraft :/

What's the real-world difference going to be? I just doubt it's going be anything worth noticing outside Digital Foundry's pixel-peeping nonsense.

Yet to be seen, I can see a case where developers that already have RT games on Windows like Remedy could have a little bit more of experience to implement RT in XSX, but just that.

What games has Microsoft studios made before that have RT on PC? I’m not knowledgeable on that topic.

The idea of a console is to strip out the API’s that PC‘s use and be more direct. Like how Sweeney was saying about the PS5’s I/O architecture is better (more direct) than what’s on PC. I bet Sony are doing similar things for RT in order to get the most out of their machine. While Xbox seems to just be using the DX12 PC API and tackling it with lots of CU’s.

I’m not sure if one will actually be better than another, but looking at how PS Studios like Naughty Dog find a way to get games like The Last of Us Part 2 running on a base PS4, I’m more optimistic about their ability to extract the most out of their system than say, 343.

This is my big issue with MS :/, literary I don't want to spread FUD, but to me is concerning they have just shown Minecraft :/

I remember a while back we were shown that path ray tracing demo. Yes it looks nice and shows that it's possible on the XSX.

But how do I know it's possible with games that are alot more complicated and at a much higher resolution?

I'm still waiting to see complex games with a decent level of Ray tracing in the XSX BTW.

jose4gg

I remember a while back we were shown that path ray tracing demo. Yes it looks nice and shows that it's possible on the XSX.

But how do I know it's possible with games that are alot more complicated and at a much higher resolution?

I'm still waiting to see complex games with a decent level of Ray tracing in the XSX BTW.

Yep, we have games that are 4K on PS5 with RT at least in some areas, MS should have been the first to show something like that, with the advantage in parallel capabilities and the fact that they already know how RT works in windows...

Yep, we have games that are 4K on PS5 with RT at least in some areas, MS should have been the first to show something like that, with the advantage in parallel capabilities and the fact that they already know how RT works in windows...

I'm just going to assume devs had so some sort of issues with the dev kits. I know the system is capable for RT. Why we haven't seen it much yet I have no idea.

kyliethicc

I guess we have seen Forza Motorsport cinematic footage using RT, but that wasn’t gameplay and it was only at 30 Hz. Gran Turismo 7 showed us 60 FPS 4K gameplay with RT already, so it seems Sony’s studios are a bit ahead in next-gen development.

kyliethicc

Meanwhile, on a purely TF comparison the XSX is 18% more powerful. So maybe that's why Matt said they're really really close (the closest competing platforms have ever been in his opinion).
It’s funny because in terms of graphics and compute power they’ve never been closer, but in terms of I/O speeds, they’ve never been farther apart. The differences, or lack there of, will be very interesting to see.

jose4gg

I guess we have seen Forza Motorsport cinematic footage using RT, but that wasn’t gameplay and it was only at 30 Hz. Gran Turismo 7 showed us 60 FPS 4K gameplay with RT already, so it seems Sony’s studios are a bit ahead in next-gen development.

Yea, in-engine and in a PC... I have not doubts Turn 10 can deliver, but I wanted to see at least some preview of what to expect.

yewles1

Let's put it this way: If a 2080Ti can barely manage 1080p at 90fps on pathtraced Quake 2, then what makes people think XSX can do any better, let alone come close?

Stuart360

Let's put it this way: If a 2080Ti can barely manage 1080p at 90fps on pathtraced Quake 2, then what makes people think XSX can do any better, let alone come close?
Well 30-60fps on RTX Minecraft isnt bad at all as that game is still the hardest ray traced game to run due to it using 100% path tracng.
Still ray tracing will be more of an experiment this gen imo, with it really coming into its own on PS6/Xbox 5 imo.

Well my expectations is that ray tracing will be limited on these systems. It will mostly be used for shadows, audio and reflections.

For lighting im guessing they will go with GI because it's less intensive than RT while offering similar results.

Minecraft with full path ray tracing is just a tech demo not a realistic demonstration in what ray tracing in games will be like.

Vitter.

So... Halo slipping to 2021.
Does this mean that Sony does not have to do another showcase this month? and just drop the rest of the news on Gamescom?

So... Halo slipping to 2021.
Does this mean that Sony does not have to do another showcase this month? and just drop the rest of the news on Gamescom?
I hope, last year they revealed the first gameplay of Death Stranding there and on that same day they announced the Insomniac Games acquisition which was also mentioned on the event and a new trailer of Erica was showed so we'll probably get something PlayStation related there.

Last edited:
I suppose seeing the inside of the console is just the lowest on my list of priorities on what needs to be done before a console is for sale.
It's not like we are going to find cocaine in there or really learn anything big we don't already know.

We'll get to see the box, dimensions relative to people's hands on a table - get a better idea of how It will look horizontally. The quality of the plastic and the tone of the white etc...

Last edited:

ksdixon

For the white color, I’d say it will be identical to the DualSense. Dorito Dominus already blessed us.

dKgwSnL.jpg

kDjz3td.jpg

fpd3JTF.jpg

I just can't make my mind-up.

Upon first glance, it looks bigger, and shaped like an XB1 controller. This is horrible for me (XB1 controller is crap, especially when stretching thumb up for the X guide button).

qod54ah8nhr41.jpg

But then on a closer examination, all the buttons seem to retain their PS4 controller positions, and the face buttons are even pushed-out towards the edges slightly by the touchpad having curved sides this time.

I hope to fuck it's comfortable to hold.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I just can't make my mind-up.

Upon first glance, it looks bigger, and shaped like an XB1 controller. This is horrible for me (XB1 controller is crap, especially when stretching thumb up for the X guide button).

qod54ah8nhr41.jpg

But then on a closer examination, all the buttons seem to retain their PS4 controller positions, and the face buttons are even pushed-out towards the edges slightly by the touchpad having curved sides this time.

I hope to fuck it's comfortable to hold.
It looks larger in the hand. It will fill out your palms more, but the DualShock 4 is already wider than the Xbox controller. This is just a more curved look to the same PS controller. Buttons and sticks seem to be same space apart.

I don’t see it looking like Xbox controller at all to me. I think that just got thrown around a lot because its white and has longer grips that aren’t symmetrically rounded as DS4.

L1/R1 L2/R2 seems better positioned to me. When I grip the DS4, my fingers wrap around the shoulder buttons into the middle of the light bar. With DualSense, looks like that will fill out my hands a bit more, so my fingers will land on the shoulders/triggers better than with DS4.

Im excited, looks great. Looks like they improved the entire controller. And it’s already so damn good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom