• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Shift

Tbh, this is one of the few times that he gave a direct answer with no PR fluff. a good thing if you ask me.

But he's right though. Xbox gamers are not banging on the door asking for VR.

Just open up support for the platform for the minority few so they can get a Vive, Rift or whatever it is. It could be useful for those who hate split screen like myself when family comes over for the holidays. Just use the VR as a 2nd instead.

Ar¢tos

Xbox DeD
Xbox C0rps3
Xbox z0mb1
Xbox buyA360
Xbox r0tt3n
Xbox 0fun
Xbox gender-neutral
Xbox Trans
Xbox Incel
Xbox They/Them
Xbox HowDareYou

PlayStation lack imagination (or excess of practicality) makes making names harder (and the fact that they already confirmed ps5).
But we could have
WaitStation 5
BoringStation 5
CensorStation 5
WalkingSimStation 5
NoGamesStation 5
IndieStation 5

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Xbox triple E

funny rooting for little guy sony (60 billion), but end of next gen winner will be the one with best sub service, & since xbox doesnt need to actually make money...

power really doesnt feel important at all this go round with Nintendo going portable and xbox embracing pc (which means all MS games need to be playable on 5+year old machines). Really dull compared to 2012/13.

"You ready for some gaming, little Billy?"

"Sure thing, daddy-o!"

"Well if you're ready for some gaming, let's break out the 4some!"

"Haha, you're the best, pops."

Barakov

Gold Member
"You ready for some gaming, little Billy?"

"Sure thing, daddy-o!"

"Well if you're ready for some gaming, let's break out the 4some!"

"Haha, you're the best, pops."
755770.jpg

FranXico

No, being the date of the 25th anniversary would make it a good time to announce full BC though.
If it had that feature, the 25th anniversary would indeed be a good time to announce it.
If nothing of the sort is announced there, I can surely assume that BC only applies to PS4 games.

Last edited:

This seems very plausible now that I've looked into non-embedded storage-class ReRAM more. This could be their SSG-style implementation, but I was thinking the cartridge leak was hinting at future (expandable) ReRAM in the cartridges. But ReRAM has much better endurance than NAND (by magnitudes), and page-read accessibility/byte-level write accessibility of RAM so that'll work out very well if true.

Let's hope Scarlett is taking a similar approach; they could have a deal going with a company like Crossbar. Hell, if there is storage-class MRAM they could go to Everspin, it's roughly in the same league as ReRAM.

Imtjnotu

This seems very plausible now that I've looked into non-embedded storage-class ReRAM more. This could be their SSG-style implementation, but I was thinking the cartridge leak was hinting at future (expandable) ReRAM in the cartridges. But ReRAM has much better endurance than NAND (by magnitudes), and page-read accessibility/byte-level write accessibility of RAM so that'll work out very well if true.

Let's hope Scarlett is taking a similar approach; they could have a deal going with a company like Crossbar. Hell, if there is storage-class MRAM they could go to Everspin, it's roughly in the same league as ReRAM.
Pipe dreams my boy.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member

Pipe dreams my boy.

Laying Pipe on a thicc girl and playing next gen consoles. A man can dream can't he.

TBiddy

I love the software is MS territory meme. Vista, Win8,Zune and all the stupid things in Win 10 are not existing I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes, let's ignore the fact that Sony has a long, long history of making shitty software. Sony is a hardware company, and that's what they do (and do well).

edit: Just to be clear. Microsoft also has a long history of shitty software, but they are so far ahead of Sony in the software department, that it's not even a competition.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

2019-11-2609_23_28-pe9zjiw.jpg

• Retail PCIe gen4 x4 NVME SSDs top at around 5 GB/s.
  • Mass consumer PCIe gen3 NVME SSDs are around 3 GB/s
  • SATA3 SSDs are 512 MB/s
  • PS4 HDD is 150 MB/s sequential, 40 MB/s for small files
  • PS3 is 22 GB/s to VRAM, 25.6 GB/s to system memory
  • Xbox 360 is 21.6 GB/s to VRAM, 22.4 GB/s to system memory
  • Nintendo Switch is 25.6 GB/s to system LPDDR memory @ 1600MHz
  • PC DDR4 memory transfer rates:
    • DDR4 2133 :17 GB/s
    • DDR4 2400 :19.2 GB/s
    • DDR4 2666 :21.3 GB/s
    • DDR4 3200 :25.6 GB/s

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

So the big reveal is 2/21 (stolen from that picture's comment). 54 active CUs?(stolen from that other place). Not sure what 4.1 is, maybe PCIE? The 2,3,4,masters probably means it's backwards compatible with them all.
Is that the 60 CUs 54 active in the GPU predictions? What was the the related TF count?

So maybe that's why in that Samsung PCIE-4 presentation the mention to consoles was in singular. PS5 ssauce their own product ReRam solution, NextBox new Samsung Pcie-4 Nand.

I want to believe, that is crazy fast speeds.

Edit: Also keeping with tradition of previous gens. 8 x 16 = 128GB
But wouldn't this be their play/go storage solution (the fast loading secret sauce), and RAM still GDDR6 or HBM2? I think i remember O onQ123 thread mentioned it can be used as RAM too but to help in some tasks, not has main RAM. Or am I mistaken and was the other way around?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yes, let's ignore the fact that Sony has a long, long history of making shitty software. Sony is a hardware company, and that's what they do (and do well).

edit: Just to be clear. Microsoft also has a long history of shitty software, but they are so far ahead of Sony in the software department, that it's not even a competition.

Yet their os on xbox one was trash, all gen most of the continual updates were to catch up to what Sony had out the box in features and they didn't have software features like shareplay and a couple of others Sony had. They recently came out with this watered down, trash, pseudo share play feature via mixer. Sony just doesn't push forward hardware but does some nice, innovative things on the software side too, some better than Microsoft.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Yet their os on xbox one was trash, all gen most of the continual updates were to catch up to what Sony had out the box in features and they didn't have software features like shareplay and a couple of others Sony had. They recently came out with this watered down, trash, pseudo share play feature via mixer. Sony just doesn't push forward hardware but does some nice, innovative things on the software side too, some better than Microsoft.

Yes, Microsoft had/have no features in their Xbox OS that Sony doesn't have - like snap, hdmi-passthrough or an actual working filesystem that doesn't crash like Sonys... or you know, a small thing called backwards compability, which Sony gave up on. Even for a fanboy like you, that is a silly hill to die on.

Microsoft is clearly superior to Sony, when it comes to software developement. As I wrote above - it's not even a competetion.

Sony does some things better (like Shareplay and installation of games), but when added up, it's a clear win for Microsoft. As for hardware, the PS4 was obviously better than the XB1. On the other hand - the controllers are superior on the XB1.. so even there, it's not as clear a win as some people would like.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yes, Microsoft had/have no features in their Xbox OS that Sony doesn't have - like snap, hdmi-passthrough or an actual working filesystem that doesn't crash like Sonys... or you know, a small thing called backwards compability, which Sony gave up on. Even for a fanboy like you, that is a silly hill to die on.

Microsoft is clearly superior to Sony, when it comes to software developement. As I wrote above - it's not even a competetion.

Sony does some things better (like Shareplay and installation of games), but when added up, it's a clear win for Microsoft. As for hardware, the PS4 was obviously better than the XB1. On the other hand - the controllers are superior on the XB1.. so even there, it's not as clear a win as some people would like.

Is that the defining features of Xbox? Snap and Hdmi passthrough that lags like crazy? Hell, even you said that Sony does (game installations and share better), both are two features that matter compared to what you listed for MS...a freaking hdmi passthrough?! Lol and yet, according to you MS are better software company?

Back to topic here, no new rumors? Is Sony using ReRam with crazy speeds?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom