• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Does anyone else find Xbox box art confusing?

XaOjoDx.jpg

DaGwaphics

What's funny is that Sony doesn't have that policy yet PS5 owners are still getting free next gen upgrades. When developers are forced to follow a policy like that they will always find a way around which could end up hurting consumers in the end.

I think they shouldn't block pro-consumer decisions by developers but they shouldn't force it either. Allow consumers to vote with their wallets by supporting developers that choose to be consumer friendly.

How are PS owners getting anything for free here? I see both systems with the next-gen version at $70.

Shmunter

Th
Why would you feel sorry for them. They call themselves gamers & refuse to buy PS & miss out on games because their box of choice does'nt provide the experience they really want. Stupidity at its finest.Cant feel sorry for them. When they deny themselves gaming pleasure. For a corporation. lmao. It's all a unnecessary headache to try & make sense of an xbox gamer.

It's not bad management. Xbox set out what it was suppose to do. Come into gaming & monetize it. Xbox Live & online play was/is Xbox biggest achievement.And their ultimate goal. Thats why there hasn't been anything else great for them.Xbox live has shrunk badly they loss 40+ million subs thats a lot of money. So they are just back to pushing services. Xbox never came into gaming to make great games. It was always about monetising gaming services. Their current status is where they are supposed to be. As their DNA was to create reoccurring service fees.

Xbox are where they are suppose to be.Back to pushing services not caring about games & experiences etc,etc.
There is always tension between the bean counters and the creatives. What we see today wasn’t always the case. The 360 was a lovingly created system by proper enthusiasts. J Allard, P Moore, etc.

What we have today is a situation where the bean counters are calling the shots. And they are wrecking their brains as to why it’s not working. When the answer is simple, you need a workforce that meets in the middle, not weighed to one side.

How are PS owners getting anything for free here? I see both systems with the next-gen version at $70.

Not in this case but with other games they are.

However since we are talking about COD it's a 10$ upgrade for PS4 owners and that option isn't available when you buy the Xbox One version. Physical of course.

What multi-plat has been announced with a free upgrade for PS that is not getting the same on Xbox?

I didn't say that. Im saying that even with Microsoft's policy the upgrades are still free on the PlayStation 5. When developers want to avoid the policy on Xbox their option is to avoid it while on the PS5 they can just charge for the upgrade.

Edit: Hopefully this tweet helps.

Last edited:

saintjules

I worked there for 10 years. The company is absolutely as terrible as you read about at the corporate level over the years and has only gotten worse.

That being said, I worked with a very tight knit of group of folks and we ran our little GameStop differently from every single one around our area.

We always talked to people as truly valued, never pushed nonsense and the result was success, because they felt treated as people, not numbers.

Even with minor releases, my boss and I would open our store 2 or 3 hours early so customers could get their game before heading to work(if we didn't do midnight launch). I did it myself for Ghostbusters: The Video Game. The suits never said a word, because we had a 90% pre-order to pickup(paid in full) percentage.

Every single reservation was tagged in a drawer, even major releases like Call of Duty with 300 preorders. It was a small gesture, but it made your copy matter.

I still talk to several regulars who became friends and I'm still recognized in the old store by some that remember me if they are in there and I pop in.

I even met my wife at GameStop, so despite the corporate nonsense, it was the best of times and I miss what we had there.

But this is a next-gen thread and I'm waxing nostalgic. I just hope they do secure some allocation for preorders and are smart enough to execute it effectively, but who knows.

To be honest, on my end, the Gamestop experience I always had was how you spoke of it and never really had issues with getting my games. I'm always in and out quickly. I guess on the Customer side of things, you don't see the nasty stuff behind the curtain. I used to work in Retail for 9 years and I can see some of that ruthless mentality with some people. Truly unfortunate.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Does anyone else find Xbox box art confusing?

XaOjoDx.jpg
This is going to be nightmare fuel for granny trying to pick up a game for little Timmy.

Why do both versions name both consoles on the box? My understanding is that the XSX version is the $70 one, the "Cross-gen edition" or whatever, so it should also work on X1... and I want to assume the X1 version works on XSX through backwards compatibility, so that's why XSX is named?

The dumbest part is that there is absolutely no difference in visual design connected to compatibility with the two consoles: same exact layout, same colours and everything, even the label at the top is confusing and contradictory with the black line just below it.

Unless they explicitly write it somewhere very visible, when XSX-only games come out I can easily see more than one person mistakenly assume they would also run on X1, considering how confusing the whole "compatibility", "optimized for" and "there are no generations" buzzword game has become.

I would have assigned XSX a different shade of green, either darker or lighter, so at least you can pick up at a glance what is what, and for games compatible with both consoles you can make it split vertically and use both, naming X1 on one side and XSX on the other in their respective color areas.

3liteDragon

Microsoft Brings Back Halo Veteran to Get Delayed Game Back on Track - Bloomberg

Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox unit is shifting more senior talent to its delayed Halo Infinite, including a well-regarded veteran of the multibillion-dollar series, to help get the most important game for the new Xbox console back on track.

Joseph Staten, who has been overseeing another Microsoft-published game, will move to Halo development studio 343 Industries, according to four people familiar with the plans, who asked not to be named as they’re not yet public. The company will also shift one more senior leader to Halo Infinite, according to two people, who said the changes are meant to provide more expertise to the project. Microsoft is preparing to announce the changes as soon as Thursday.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

This is going to be nightmare fuel for granny trying to pick up a game for little Timmy.

Why do both versions name both consoles on the box? My understanding is that the XSX version is the $70 one, the "Cross-gen edition" or whatever, so it should also work on X1... and I want to assume the X1 version works on XSX through backwards compatibility, so that's why XSX is named?

The dumbest part is that there is absolutely no difference in visual design connected to compatibility with the two consoles: same exact layout, same colours and everything, even the label at the top is confusing and contradictory with the black line just below it.

Unless they explicitly write it somewhere very visible, when XSX-only games come out I can easily see more than one person mistakenly assume they would also run on X1, considering how confusing the whole "compatibility", "optimized for" and "there are no generations" buzzword game has become.

I would have assigned XSX a different shade of green, either darker or lighter, so at least you can pick up at a glance what is what, and for games compatible with both consoles you can make it split vertically and use both, naming X1 on one side and XSX on the other in their respective color areas.

Yeah its pretty messy marketing.

So the Xbox One box on the left is just the $60 current gen version, not able to be upgraded. Series X can play it, but no next-gen visual or performance upgrades etc.

As the official box art says in the bottom left "Xbox One Game Playable on X Series" lol.

The Xbox box on the right is the next gen version ($70?) but also can be played on One. So its a 50 GB BD, meaning it wont't hold the entire game data on disc, so to install it to SSD on Series X, an internet connection will be needed.

PS5 disc is up to 128 GB BDXL, so it will likely be able to hold the entire next gen game (before the huge updates come) and thus allow the initial install without any addtional downloading. Probably.

PS4 $60 game can be upgraded for $10 on PS5 because Sony doesn't care if publishers want to charge for next-gen versions.

Rumor is Microsoft blocked paid upgrades, so some publishers are getting around this by only offering a certain higher priced game to include both versions (NBA2K, Control, and now COD Cold War digital cross gen bundle) but it also means buyers of the physical $60 Xbox One version will need to then spend $70 more for the Series X next gen version.

Rumor is Microsoft blocked paid upgrades, so some publishers are getting around this by only offering a certain higher priced game to include both versions (NBA2K, Control, and now COD Cold War digital cross gen bundle) but it also means buyers of the physical $60 Xbox One version will need to then spend $70 more for the Series X next gen version.

Yep that's what I read in this article.

I mean there's this.

Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series X versions as DLC, as an alternative to its free Smart Delivery scheme.

Xbox developers who don’t support Smart Delivery also have the option of selling two-game ‘cross-gen bundles’, in disc or digital form, which include seperate Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions of a game.

It sounds like what's happening in my opinion.

Seems really similar to what's going on.

Last edited:

saintjules

kyliethicc

Activision just confirmed that MS allowed the $10 upgrade path for the digital version in their FAQ/
Ok then I'm really confused with what's happening then.

Activision just updated their FAQ. Looks like Microsoft changed plans. So now both digital current gen versions can be upgraded for $10.

So the now only the physical Xbox One version still can't be upgraded to Series X version.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah its pretty messy marketing.

So the Xbox One box on the left is just the $60 current gen version, not able to be upgraded. Series X can play it, but no next-gen visual or performance upgrades etc.

As the official box art says in the bottom left "Xbox One Game Playable on X Series" lol.

The Xbox box on the right is the next gen version ($70?) but also can be played on One. So its a 50 GB BD, meaning it wont't hold the entire game data on disc, so to install it to SSD on Series X, an internet connection will be needed.

PS5 disc is up to 128 GB BDXL, so it will likely be able to hold the entire next gen game (before the huge updates come) and thus allow the initial install without any addtional downloading. Probably.

PS4 $60 game can be upgraded for $10 on PS5 because Sony doesn't care if publishers want to charge for next-gen versions.

I’m sorry about this, but I’m going to need a diagram

kyliethicc

Is there a workaround for Bloomberg articles? The page is behind a paywall. I've reached a limit for viewing on there.

I got you.

"Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox unit is shifting more senior talent to its delayed Halo Infinite, including a well-regarded veteran of the multibillion-dollar series, to help get the most important game for the new Xbox console back on track.

Joseph Staten, who has been overseeing another Microsoft-published game, will move to Halo development studio 343 Industries, according to four people familiar with the plans, who asked not to be named as they’re not yet public. The company will also shift one more senior leader to Halo Infinite, according to two people, who said the changes are meant to provide more expertise to the project. Microsoft is preparing to announce the changes as soon as Thursday.

The new personnel will work with studio head Chris Lee and report to Bonnie Ross, a Microsoft vice president who oversees 343, according to one person. An Xbox spokesman declined to comment.

In a blow to its upcoming Xbox Series X console, which debuts in November, Microsoft earlier this month delayed Halo Infinite’s release to next year, blaming remote work during the pandemic for slowing development. That came after a first look at gameplay in late July that wasn’t well received by Halo franchise fans. The series has generated billions in sales for Microsoft and was expected to anchor the console launch, going up against Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 5, whose initial slate of games was met with a much warmer reception.

Read more: Microsoft Delays Halo Infinite, Biggest Game for Xbox Launch

Staten, one of the most renowned figures among Halo fans, started his video game career in the 1990s at Bungie, the studio that created the series. He was responsible for writing, editing and directing cut-scenes on the first three Halo games, which were beloved by fans for their rich characters and universes. He remained at Bungie when the studio split from Microsoft in 2007 and ended its work on Halo, but abruptly departed in 2013, just a year before the launch of Bungie's online sci-fi game Destiny. Staten then rejoined Microsoft in 2014 to work on non-Halo games in the Xbox portfolio. 343 was founded to take over the Halo games after Bungie left."

Last edited:

saintjules

I got you.

"Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox unit is shifting more senior talent to its delayed Halo Infinite, including a well-regarded veteran of the multibillion-dollar series, to help get the most important game for the new Xbox console back on track.

The new personnel will work with studio head Chris Lee and report to Bonnie Ross, a Microsoft vice president who oversees 343, according to one person. An Xbox spokesman declined to comment.

In a blow to its upcoming Xbox Series X console, which debuts in November, Microsoft earlier this month delayed Halo Infinite’s release to next year, blaming remote work during the pandemic for slowing development. That came after a first look at gameplay in late July that wasn’t well received by Halo franchise fans. The series has generated billions in sales for Microsoft and was expected to anchor the console launch, going up against Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 5, whose initial slate of games was met with a much warmer reception.

Read more: Microsoft Delays Halo Infinite, Biggest Game for Xbox Launch

Staten, one of the most renowned figures among Halo fans, started his video game career in the 1990s at Bungie, the studio that created the series. He was responsible for writing, editing and directing cut-scenes on the first three Halo games, which were beloved by fans for their rich characters and universes. He remained at Bungie when the studio split from Microsoft in 2007 and ended its work on Halo, but abruptly departed in 2013, just a year before the launch of Bungie's online sci-fi game Destiny. Staten then rejoined Microsoft in 2014 to work on non-Halo games in the Xbox portfolio. 343 was founded to take over the Halo games after Bungie left."

Theres more I can post if you want.

kyliethicc

I’m sorry about this, but I’m going to need a diagram
Turns out Microsoft is now also allowing the $10 upgrade at least for the digital Xbox One version, must have seen the news today and realized it was a bad look. So thats a bit better.

Last edited:
Okay, so Geoff was talking with the public about what we could expect to see in the ONL.
- Almost everything that is going to be in the show has already been announced, but he says there will be "a couple surprises"
- A lot of the games from tomorrow are due to release this holiday
- It was important for him to have extended gameplay sequences, that sounds good to me (maybe we'll something running on XSX?)
- There are games that they haven't talked about that will be on the show, I think he's talking about already known games like Cyberpunk 2077 or something like that
- 30+ games in 2 hours

So first off PS5's are supposedly already in production right? then we are told Sony is doubling their order and hope to have 10 million out the door by the end of fiscal year but someone is starting a rumor about a lottery situation because Sony is sending out early pre-order sign ups to customers who spend a lot of money? That just seems dumb, they are trying to get their better customers to switch over asap so they'll stay locked into the PlayStation ecosystem.

Better chill out with the "call of duty will run at 4K120 with RT" expectations before y'all get badly disappointed

Yeah I would guess anything running at 120hz is probably not going to have RT turned on and will basically be a slightly dressed up version of what's out on the previous gen consoles. Then again the CPU and GPU are much more advanced and they probably are still using mostly the same base assets as current gen for the most part so we'll see.

ToadMan

Okay, so Geoff was talking with the public about what we could expect to see in the ONL.
- Almost everything that is going to be in the show has already been announced, but he says there will be "a couple surprises"
- A lot of the games from tomorrow are due to release this holiday
- It was important for him to have extended gameplay sequences, that sounds good to me (maybe we'll something running on XSX?)
- There are games that they haven't talked about that will be on the show, I think he's talking about already known games like Cyberpunk 2077 or something like that
- 30+ games in 2 hours

Well he was critical of MS not showing anything running on Xsex, but on the other hand MS don’t have anything to show - their games for Xsex are 2, 3 or more years away.

So it’ll be interesting to see if the 3rd parties can step up for MS. Hopefully not more AC though.... that’s one game I’ve seen enough of.

ethomaz

Banned
It's weird that there's nothing about the Xbox Series S. Or do they. plan to update this again. Didn't we see the Xbox Series S confirmed in a controller documentation or I missed something?
It is suppose to be digital only so no Physical disc will works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom