• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, there are supposed to be 30+ games on the show so there are around 15 more games we still don't know are going to be there. But yes, let's keep the expectations in check.

You mean no Bloodborne 2, Elden Ring, GoW2, Silent Hills reboot, a new Kojima game and some sort of major acquisitions????

375d81fb7985042ab8e92732e3df1251.jpg

Xbox has never said or confirmed what discs Xbox Series X will use. Only Sony has.

No, Xbox One uses 50 GB BDs for game discs. They do have UHD Blu-ray drives for 4K UHD Blu-ray movie discs.

But the games HAVE to work on the 2013 Xbox One so they have to be 50 GB BDs, same as PS4.
They didn't. But this teardown from Ifixit did though.

It's this drive here. Looks like it probably is a BD drive.

Last edited:
Oh, the irony...MS locked Yakuza: Like a Dragon upgrade out of PS5 and their 'pro-consumer' policy of non-paid upgrades is to blame for the COD XO standard version situation, but 'fuck Sony' just because.
The funny thing is, those guys think they're in some form of elevated perception simply because they say Sony is anti-consumer when Microsoft did the exact same thing when they bankrolled the Yakuza Dev to lock the next-gen graphics upgrades of Yakuza: Like a Dragon to the Series X and none of them batted an eye. Now Sony did it with Cold War and suddenly theg crawled out from under the rock they've hiding to scream that Sony is anti-consumer when Microsoft already did it already to begin with. Quite the irony when the fanboys are fed with a saltier version of their own pie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
By developers u mean indie guys who never shipped a single game and are known xbox hardcore fans ?

now back to reality, We haven't heard a single thing from known devs to the point none of them even have gameplays running on xsx yet .
tenor.gif

Gabe Newell said it, Chris Grannell, developers talking to Schreier also said it is more powerful. We know the specs of the console... But sure back to the alternate "next-gen speculation thread" reality

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't gabe say he would never release on ps3 as well?
He thought the PS3 was shit for developers, which wasn't really a lie. Everyone knew the cell processor was extremely powerful, but annoying to develop for. He's still an industry professional with an amazing track record.

roops67

Another tasty, juicy nugget from Lady Gaia 😘😘😘😘

"Peak teraflop numbers are always misleading, which is why you see so many technically astute people write them off as a meaningful standalone metric. If you're looping then not every instruction is an FMAD, by definition. If you're actually processing meaningful inputs then you'll have execution stalls while waiting on data from the cache or RAM. If you're using the results of the operations to perform derivative operations then you're subject to additional small pipeline bubbles. The peak number is, at best, a relative benchmark and not a very good one. Highly optimized code is lucky to hit 30-40% of the theoretical peak, and it's far more important to run real-world code quickly than to win a paper spec war.

Unfortunately, the general public is addicted to overly simplistic measures and so the theoretical peak is what they're going to compare and as a rough measure across two similar architectures it should be in the ballpark. Without hands-on time with a dev kit I certainly can't prove otherwise. I am expecting that we'll see far more impact from other design considerations than the question of how fast straight-line code can run under ideal conditions. That's why I keep advocating waiting for games to come to any conclusions."

Unf getting juicy.
Great! Now dumb it down and let's post it in the XSX thread and see if it ruffles any feathers... erm no scratch that, they probably treat it as fud anyway or they won't even bat an eyelid. The fanboys prefer to boast the wrong metrics like 12>10 and stay blissfully ignorant of how GPU/CPU's actually work, they are none technical... cos if they fucking had a clue then they wouldn't be fanboys!

What really matters is how efficient the architecture in question is at keeping it's CU's occupied 'on average' then multiply that by the peak TF's. For argument say that the XSX is 50% and PS5 is 60% (this my opinion is being very generous to the XSX) So for simplicity if both consoles had equivalent peak 10TF's then XSX will be averaging 5TF and PS5 6TF, increasing XSX peak to 12TF matches the PS5

Another factor is the (non-linear) decrease in average occupancy when increasing the number of CU's, cos it's harder to schedule more CU's with work efficiently, or put it another way eventhough peak TF's will go up accordingly but the efficiency per CU will go down

Brilliant in-depth article lepermessiah linked above, and she is very knowledgeable no doubt. But could have done without the big words, just 'KISS' Keep It Simple Stupid for the benefit of [USER]sircaw[/USER]
Just a reminder that we had a vetted comment from a 3rd party dev about 10 boxes (TFLOPS) doing the same job as 12 and even better due to the efficiencies and innovations made with Sony's hardware. I'm not really surprised we're seeing so much eye-candy with RTX to boot from team blue here.
Where?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

tenor.gif

Gabe Newell said it, Chris Grannell, developers talking to Schreier also said it is more powerful. We know the specs of the console... But sure back to the alternate "next-gen speculation thread" reality
Chris Grannell has no hands on experience with either devkit and hasn't made a game in years.

Gabe Newell probably hasn't personally worked on a game in years. He runs a business.
I doubt he even has a PS5 devkit. Why would he? Valve doesn't make any PS4/5 games.

Not great evidence. 2 names with no hands on experience of PS5.

Obviously XSX has got the bigger but slower GPU, but otherwise we haven't seen much evidence of its "more power claim."

No next-gen gameplay footage yet. Just Gears 5 and Minecraft demos.

A dev with access to both devkits just the other day said the PS5 is the benchmark in CPU optimization. Thats a specific useful bit of analysis that gives insight into a system.

Haven't seen a single dev with access to both devkits say the Xbox is "better at doing X" or "best in aspect Y" and so why should I believe they exist?

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Gabe is not developing any games for xsx . Chris garnell hasn't made a game in 12 years . Now back to actual reality no devs have anything to show on xsx as of now . Dont be mad at me.. be mad at the ones who actually allowed this to happen ?

Allandor

Does anyone else find Xbox box art confusing?

XaOjoDx.jpg

So, there is no Xbox Series S ;)

btw, don't know if this was already know, you can now register for preordering ps5 from sony

Than you get at some point an invitation if you registered for preorder ... strange way .. now we have to get invited to preorder a console ^^
Next we get teasers for teasers ... oh ... I think we already are in that stage.

So, another paid upgrade incoming :(

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
You
You know he's just a bullshitter who did this before every Sony event and never got anything right... right?

Scroll back enough in his timeline and you will see gems like him photoshopping Ghost of Tsushima with the wrong cover image in his hands months before release, or "his" Playstations collection in a photo you can trace back to 2018 from an Ebay-like auctions website.

FunkMiller

We've had our disagreements, but here I absolutely agree. I'm sure Aaron Greenberg himself designed that piece of shit.

I'm finding the whole thing incredibly frustrating as someone who's not currently an XBox owner, so it must be ten times worse for Xbox fans like yourself.

They have a very powerful machine, a strong brand name and well defined corporate image, deep penetration into the largest market on the planet, and a large budget - how the hell are they fucking things up like this?

The best I can assume, there must be conflicting voices within the Microsoft management structure that are all talking over one another. That's how you end up with a confused message like this. The first thing good marketing requires is a focused, clear strategy. Everything else kinda falls into place if you have that. There's clearly noone at Microsoft with much of a vision for the console going forward, which is a huge shame, because there's obviously nothing wrong with the hardware. Aaaaarggh. So frustrating.

I wouldn't say it *doesn't* exist, but since according to that Tweet it's only been developed for just over a year, I call shennanigans.
I have talked to 2 people I trust and both said its bs. Silent Hill doesn't exist. They could be wrong ofcourse.

But Think about it.even from business point of view . Why sony would pay Konami ton of money and make the game themselves ? Silent hill is no spiderman . It sells 2 3 millions as per pervious entries.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I'm finding the whole thing incredibly frustrating as someone who's not currently an XBox owner, so it must be ten times worse for Xbox fans like yourself.

They have a very powerful machine, a strong brand name and well defined corporate image, deep penetration into the largest market on the planet, and a large budget - how the hell are they fucking things up like this?

The best I can assume, there must be conflicting voices within the Microsoft management structure that are all talking over one another. That's how you end up with a confused message like this. The first thing good marketing requires is a focused, clear strategy. Everything else kinda falls into place if you have that. There's clearly noone at Microsoft with much of a vision for the console going forward, which is a huge shame, because there's obviously nothing wrong with the hardware. Aaaaarggh. So frustrating.

tenor.gif

Regarding Granell looks like he did or is doing a podcast with dealer and timdog in case you want to talk about how impartial is, Gabe make its comment only using as base the features in paper also because xbox release many games in steam because even is probably they don't have a devkit, Valve doesn't make AA-AAA games for Sony in many time and also Schreier said many devs were excited for the features of PS5, remember not all the games and team are equals so not so you cannot use a general number in paper to use as a singular delta for all the situations.

Let me change a little the subject, do you know the raw power of Stadia right? Why do you think still not use?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

It seems like it's flying over everyone's heads but Xbox has been a brand managed by bullshit artists ever since Peter Moore left.

kyliethicc

Agreed. You might find this interview with Jim Ryan interesting. He clearly agrees with your approach to marketing. It's a lot of insight into Sony's recent shift towards centralized marketing and 1 unified global corporate structure.

You seem to have completely misunderstood everything I said.

Everyone has known the One X has a UHD Blu-ray drive since 2017.
I did not say it didn't have one. I just dropped a video of Ifixit's teardown for those interested in seeing individual components. Sorry for the misunderstanding, wasn't my intention.

Ssshhhhhh..... As if 'Logic' is something Xbox fans possess anymore. Just let their entitlement destroy themselves inside out.
Any fan of anything has a correct logic that is why she/he is fan.

No, how would I be confused?
The left says Xbox One, the right Says Xbox Series X
That's the edition you get.
The badged below shows you on witch platform you can play the game.
And in both cases you can play on both platforms.
We are talking people who confuse Wii with Wii U not exactly people like us which use a forum to comment about this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Granell looks like he did or is doing a podcast with dealer and timdog in case you want to talk about how impartial is, Gabe make its comment only using as base the features in paper also because xbox release many games in steam because even is probably they don't have a devkit, Valve doesn't make AA-AAA games for Sony in many time and also Schreier said many devs were excited for the features of PS5, remember not all the games and team are equals so not so you cannot use a general number in paper to use as a singular delta for all the situations.

Let me change a little the subject, do you know the raw power of Stadia right? Why do you think still not use?
Because it's a streaming platform... We are talking about power not usage numbers. We know the specs that people still think that somehow the PS5 is the more powerful machine baffles me.

Gabe is not developing any games for xsx . Chris garnell hasn't made a game in 12 years . Now back to actual reality no devs have anything to show on xsx as of now . Dont be mad at me.. be mad at the ones who actually allowed this to happen ?
What is with this FUD that no games have been shown on XSX. DF already showed the Gears 5 footage...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can say this--if Sony does cut out retailers somewhat, with the already known Digital Editions existing(probably at a lower price), it will probably be the end for GameStop.

They've been hurting for a good while now and were banking on next-gen to give them a much needed boost. If they are limited in any way in addition to Digital Editions existing, it'll be catastrophic.

Also--GameStop will purposefully order less of the Digital Edition and/or refuse to stock it, because it's detrimental to their business model. So if you want one of the DEs, I'd look at other retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom