• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are, they mentioned it in the article.

"Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact. "

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

I understand those had slower I/Os un them but I wouldn't he surprised if the GPU and CPU were slower as well. Afterall they did managed to increase the clockspeed from the GitHub leaks.

BatSu

Fucking hell, 350W for the GPU alone. Lol. Even the 3080 is 320W!

tumblr_lvlgrfoiTb1r335ieo1_500.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
That is some of it. Also dev kits software on PC’s having issues emulating Xbox Series X features like VRS, Ray Tracing, Velocity Architecture , And other features The Xbox Series X has. Will be better over time but getting off the ground has been made difficult with Covid in Dev time.

Number one rumor I hear about Xbox Series X. Is how in depth and detailed Velocity Architecture is. Very difficult to master. Takes time mastering and using all levels of feature sets of Xbox Series X. This is why your still seeing game engines running on PC trying to emulate Xbox Series X. Some of these issues showed it’s ugly head in the Halo Infinite Gameplay demo. I could talk more..but Don’t have time tonight.

I mean this is so clearly bullshit it’s hard to believe you’re trying to run with it.

Let's start with the obvious, PC emulating XSX features like VRS and Ray tracing. Those aren't Xbox features, they are also PC features..... so that's dead right there.

Regarding XVA? I can believe that, it makes sense. You have to jump through so many hoops to reach the figures stated by MS that it will be hard to "master", and considering its so much software dependent, it will obviously have a lot of bugs along the way.

Halo Infinite is also.... you guessed it... a PC game. So trying to associate XSX devkit problems with a PC game is honestly, once again, so clearly bullshit that it's hard to believe you're trying to run with it.

This I believe is where the Dusk Guys info came from. But I never heard any studios name, game engine or game project be named specifically. This second hand and whispers mind you!

I have heard rumors and whispers some games running 4K and with ray tracing on the PS5. Devs Debug Kits was struggling to maintain 10.2TF. That some games was dipping into 9.5Tf to 9.8Tf area. This info was from around may when whispers of this was leaking out. Got louder at the beginning of June. It was so bad for some game studios. Dev Kits and Debug kits was crashing and over heating. So devs had to drop games down to 1080P and 1400p to work on them. Sony was notified and Sony Ninjas was supposed to be help fixing those issues and replacing and updating Dev Kits and Debug Consoles. As Devs where still working on engines for PS5 features. This wasn’t an issue with all studios. Some studios and Game Engines.
Dipping down into 9.5TF area..? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that would imply there's some kind of terraflop-meter..?

Like, it's just a measurement for theoretical float calculation performance, I find it very hard to believe most developers know exactly where it's at anyway? Unless they program a benchmarking tool themselves..

I dunno. Maybe this was a joke that flew over my head, or maybe I'm just stupid.

NEbeast

No it doesn't mean any Sony money. It's the same offer on both consoles.

MS prohibits publishers from charging extra for next gen upgrades, Sony doesn't (nor does it enforce any upgrade policy). But people see what people want to see, in the end it's both the same deal on the paper with both offering cross-gen bundles.

Yeah, I was tired this morning and I think it's just the way its worded. MS can't stop publishers charging for a next gen upgrade though.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Dipping down into 9.5TF area..? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that would imply there's some kind of terraflop-meter..?

Like, it's just a measurement for theoretical float calculation performance, I find it very hard to believe most developers know exactly where it's at anyway? Unless they program a benchmarking tool themselves..

I dunno. Maybe this was a joke that flew over my head, or maybe I'm just stupid.

You're not stupid at all. It's fanboy fan fiction.

Cerny said during road to PS5 all devs have to do is "indicate the data you'd like to read from original uncompressed file and where youd like to put it and the whole process of loading is done invisibly to you and at very high speed."

So PS5 literally has the hardware do the work, its ingenious.

Seems MS has to figure out how to use all this complicated system and code to even try and get anywhere near half as fast.

Sony smashed it in this department.

Edit to add that BadBreathOfTheWild BadBreathOfTheWild says in earlier post the io on xbox is not all that complicated, but its clearly not as simple as Sonys. So it all doesn't make much sense, but if not that then what is stopping then showing stuff on sx hardware.....

Cerny’s point that to leverage all these features the developers don’t need to do anything special. It’s not special esoteric hardware that only the well funded first-party studios can leverage.

Microsoft’s IO will be just as simple to leverage from a developer point of view. Microsoft doing more of their IO pipeline in software doesn’t mean the developers have to do that. It will be something the Xbox API does behind the scenes for the developer, just not as efficiently as PS5.

About the only thing I can imagine as being more tricky on Xbox is how much your file IO work loads up the main CPU being used by the game—PS5 has separate processors to handle IO. But DirectStorage API is supposed to reduce the amount of time the CPU is tied up.

But there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Less CPU usage without hardware offloading means it’s making a compromise somewhere. Maybe queuing up requests and dispatching them as a single instruction to reduce CPU overhead at the expense of some latency etc.
Not saying that is the compromise being made, but you don’t get something from nothing.

Sony have eliminated traditional filesystem IO and its metadata bottlenecks and felt the need to still offload to a dedicated IO processor.

From the point of view of a developer I’d say the file IO is just as easy to use on Xbox as on PlayStation. The software being done by Xbox to improve efficiency will all be Microsoft code buried in the API the developers use.

HawarMiran

Banned
This I believe is where the Dusk Guys info came from. But I never heard any studios name, game engine or game project be named specifically. This second hand and whispers mind you!

I have heard rumors and whispers some games running 4K and with ray tracing on the PS5. Devs Debug Kits was struggling to maintain 10.2TF. That some games was dipping into 9.5Tf to 9.8Tf area. This info was from around may when whispers of this was leaking out. Got louder at the beginning of June. It was so bad for some game studios. Dev Kits and Debug kits was crashing and over heating. So devs had to drop games down to 1080P and 1400p to work on them. Sony was notified and Sony Ninjas was supposed to be help fixing those issues and replacing and updating Dev Kits and Debug Consoles. As Devs where still working on engines for PS5 features. This wasn’t an issue with all studios. Some studios and Game Engines.
I also heard whispers. Oh sorry it was just someone farting.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Cerny’s point that to leverage all these features the developers don’t need to do anything special. It’s not special esoteric hardware that only the well funded first-party studios can leverage.

Microsoft’s IO will be just as simple to leverage from a developer point of view. Microsoft doing more of their IO pipeline in software doesn’t mean the developers have to do that. It will be something the Xbox API does behind the scenes for the developer, just not as efficiently as PS5.

About the only thing I can imagine as being more tricky on Xbox is how much your file IO work loads up the main CPU being used by the game—PS5 has separate processors to handle IO. But DirectStorage API is supposed to reduce the amount of time the CPU is tied up.

But there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Less CPU usage without hardware offloading means it’s making a compromise somewhere. Maybe queuing up requests and dispatching them as a single instruction to reduce CPU overhead at the expense of some latency etc.
Not saying that is the compromise being made, but you don’t get something from nothing.

Sony have eliminated traditional filesystem IO and its metadata bottlenecks and felt the need to still offload to a dedicated IO processor.

From the point of view of a developer I’d say the file IO is just as easy to use on Xbox as on PlayStation. The software being done by Xbox to improve efficiency will all be Microsoft code buried in the API the developers use.

They need SFS to reach the stated figures and therefore don't developers need to implement it at engine level? Don't know if it's as simply as flipping a switch.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

You're not stupid. There is no real time TF meter in profiler tools, nor would it serve any benefit to a developer as a metric. To quote my last post "It's things like power usage, clock speed, memory transfers, cpu/gpu occupancy on a ms by ms timescale, basically work done per frame to see where bottlenecks are and at what points of a frame each piece of hardware is taxed, etc."

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Eh yeah, I would imagine developers being interested in fps performance of their game, and possibly the CPU/GPU frequency perhaps. But "terraflop performance" per game Ehh.. It just doesn't make any sense 😅
Sony would likely have profiling tools that do give them the clock speeds.

From that it's a simple calculation based on the number of CUs to get to TFs, which are always just a theoretical number based on a calculation and not a real measure of the actual calculations being made (as that would require CU utilization numbers).

(not saying the rumor is valid, almost all rumors here are complete BS lol)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Those are the PSU ratings. Actual use will be lower. Far lower usually in Sony's case but the new variable clocks might change things here. Both PS5 and XSX will be in the 200-250W range max. XSS ~100-120W. IMO.
yeah I know, sorry if that wasn't clear. I know they don't usually draw max power during use. I was saying that its wild if the 3090 will draw more power than the entire PS5 or Series X PSU.

ToadMan

PS4 Pro is 310 W.
One X is 245 W.
Series X is 315 W.
PS5 will be around 350 W, I bet.
PS3 fat was almost 400 W.

These are the total power supply figures btw, not necessarily what they draw during use.

Those numbers (for Xsex in particular but all
of them seem Off) aren’t accurate power draws. I don’t know where you got them from but wherever it was isn’t reliable or you’re misinterpreting what those numbers mean.

They might PSU ratings - that’s not the same as power draw and the power draw is usually specified in relation to the Thermal Design Power - the amount of power draw and heat the system cooling can dissipate in normal usage.

The TDP for Xsex will be somewhere 110W to 150W range. But as of yet no one knows because when MS were asked at Hotchips what their TDP was they wouldn’t give an answer.

EDIT: Beaten! Carry on 👍

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I call bullshit. 10.2 is peak theoretical performance. No console reaches its peak performance, let alone maintain it. That goes for all gpu's. The workloads simply arent designed to even hit that. Also Devs would never say "it didnt reach xx teraflop number". Thats not how they calculate that. If PS5 could occupy its CU's at such a high workload that it reaches constant 9,5 TF, that would be amazing effiency (93%).
SO either these "whispers" are complete horeshit or they are saying the PS5 is an efficiency beast.

I trend towards shit, because of the mentioned reasons.
Yeah this 100% I was skeptical when he said devs are struggling to hit “X” and “Y” number of teraflops, someone could correct me but I’m sure devs don’t even measure the game and it’s performance in such metrics, it’s almost laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:

sircaw

Banned
Its bugging me and i don't mean like bugsnaxs.

Microsoft must have something in the pipeline, the showing so far from them has been abysmal, this can't be it.

all these years and this is how they intend to launch, this just can't be it. There has to be some games or something they have in reserve. If this is indeed it, this is a clusterfuck of biblical proportions.

No big first-party games for two years, why even fucking bother releasing a console soon. this can not be how you run a gaming division surely. You have allowed Sony to walk all over you, while you just spun pr stuff.

COVID virus was terrible, but it did not affect the last 5 years of development, wtf have these people been doing otherwise.

companies like Microsoft have plans for the future, they just don't get up in the morning and decide hey we are doing this for the next couple of months, this new console must be many many years in the planning. How has this got to this point?

Either the people at Microsoft gaming are bloody idiots or they have an ace or two up their sleeve.

I just can not believe a multi-billionaire company can be so useless or inept.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Yep. Neither company is handling this upgrade business well. It’s confusing as shit.

Back in the day you either bought the version for the old console, or the version for the new one. Nice and simple. Quite why we’ve got this farce going on this time around isn’t clear to me, but I’m sure it has something to do with gouging more money from gamers for no adequate reason.
I agree with you regarding the COD digital version, but physical for Sony you have the PS4 version and the PS5 one, simple like that. It's MS the one making a mess with their physical release.

THE:MILKMAN

yeah I know, sorry if that wasn't clear. I know they don't usually draw max power during use. I was saying that its wild if the 3090 will draw more power than the entire PS5 or Series X PSU.

Right but comparing actual consumption with a PSU rating is very unfair. I mean the current 20 series top end cards will probably pull more watts 'at the wall' than the next consoles will! The 30 series being even more power hungry is not surprising.

Gamerguy84

Microsoft must have something in the pipeline, the showing so far from them has been abysmal, this can't be it.

all these years and this is how they intend to launch, this just can't be it. There has to be some games or something they have in reserve. If this is indeed it, this is a clusterfuck of biblical proportions.

No big first-party games for two years, why even fucking bother releasing a console soon. this can not be how you run a gaming division surely. You have allowed Sony to walk all over you, while you just spun pr stuff.

COVID virus was terrible, but it did not affect the last 5 years of development, wtf have these people been doing otherwise.

companies like Microsoft have plans for the future, they just don't get up in the morning and decide hey we are doing this for the next couple of months, this new console must be many many years in the planning. How has this clusterfuck it got to this point?

Either the people at Microsoft gaming are bloody idiots or they have an ace or two up their sleeve.

They are taking a beating on public perception right now. They wouldn't do that if they had the cards to play.

For months Phil was spinning PR web and doing a good job. Ironically this bit them in the ass because this wouldnt be as bad for them if he didnt talk so much.

ATM they dont have anything. Thats not to say they wont in the future.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Insomniac, Japan Studio, Bluepoint and Polyphony are making this a new 1st party standard, aren't they? JFC, eye candy and framerates, thank God we have studios that care about next-gen.

It's bringing one of the best things about PC to the console format. Being able to choose between 30 and 60 FPS is truly a great thing and should be a standard because enough people do care about it.

Hopefully Gyro is next on the "soon to be a standard option" list.

ToadMan

Those are the PSU ratings. Actual use will be lower. Far lower usually in Sony's case but the new variable clocks might change things here. Both PS5 and XSX will be in the 200-250W range max. XSS ~100-120W. IMO.

If you look at the TDP of PS and Xbox consoles over time, the TDP has reduced. I don’t think either Sony or MS will put a piece of consumer electronics out there with a power draw over 200W.

It’s also why they’re so keen on RDNA2 - the power efficiency should mean they can hit good performance with ~50% less power draw compared to RDNA1 which was itself 50% less power vs GCN.

kyliethicc

Right but comparing actual consumption with a PSU rating is very unfair. I mean the current 20 series top end cards will probably pull more watts 'at the wall' than the next consoles will! The 30 series being even more power hungry is not surprising.
How is it unfair? Its a way of showing just how much more power hungry those GPUs are. I'm using the absolute max power a console could draw versus typical draw of the card. Its like I'm being nice to the RTX cards, grading on a curve, and yet they still draw more.

It's not a scientific comparison, I was just making fun of the 3090 a bit. No worries.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

all these years and this is how they intend to launch, this just can't be it

- They cancelled a major Fable project in 2018,that quite possibly was a planned next-gen title
- They likely expected Halo Infinite to be amazing and ready by launch
- It's also quite possible they thought Turn 10 could have something ready

Beyond that, they went on a studio buying spree in 2018.. their studios CLEARLY have failed them, and we have no clue if anything they bought or put together in the last 2 years will come to fruition.. they certainly aren't whipping out next gen games in 2 years.

It's likely not "to plan".. hell we KNOW it's not "to plan".. but it's all completely realistic that MS has nothing else in the pipeline to fix this, and they apparently didn't want to go on a big 3rd party spending spree.. they likely spent some bucks on GamePass is the rumor, that's what they have to announce.

Sony on the other hand has far more trustworthy studios, but they are also on easy mode right now.. I mean come on... we have the internet going wild over Ratchet and Clank.. if MS was actually competing what Sony has shown, other than how solid things like graphics look, would not be so amazing. People are just happy they look like they'll easily beat MS at launch, since syztem warz.... otherwise, don't you think Ratchet and Clank would actually be a top selling game in the past? lol

Nickolaidas

BUH, BUH BUH, BUH PS5 CAN'T HANDLE NATIVE 4K AND 1440 AT 60 FPS BUH BUH BUH!!!

companies like Microsoft have plans for the future, they just don't get up in the morning and decide hey we are doing this for the next couple of months, this new console must be many many years in the planning. How has this got to this point?

Or they simply don't care, because game pass game pass game pass. All the cheap fu - EH I MEAN, COOL KIDS are doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom