• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GianEnemyCrab

Neo Member
Shit. That really does suggest a staggered launch for the PS5. USA and Canada in November. Everywhere else in December.
If its true, this sucks big time,

I really dont get it why EU always gets the shitty end of the stick. I really hope that what Jim Ryan said about a worldwide launch is not just some marketing bull...

Europe, except the UK, has been PS only since the PS1 Xbox is basically non-existent here, we should get some more love from Sony.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Shit. That really does suggest a staggered launch for the PS5. USA and Canada in November. Everywhere else in December.

Don't read too much into this. They've been buggering around with language in their comms recently. It's 'Holiday 2020' in America and 'Late 2020' elsewhere. Whoever wrote the copy for this might have just worded it poorly.

I'm sticking with what Jim Ryan said about worldwide release until I officially hear different.

GianEnemyCrab

Neo Member
Don't read too much into this. They've been buggering around with language in their comms recently. It's 'Holiday 2020' in America and 'Late 2020' elsewhere. Whoever wrote the copy for this might have just worded it poorly.

I'm sticking with what Jim Ryan said about worldwide release until I officially hear different.

I really hope you are right :D

In any case, another week passed and still no PS news or at least an indication on when we will get new info.

Its becoming really tiresome frankly

I started playing PlayStation games with the launch of the PS4, I was a huge Xbox fan from 2001-2013 so I never took the time to play a Ratchet game.

Someone bought me Ratchet in 2017 on PS4 to add to my game collection and my response was “thank you!....what the hell is this lol”

I finally played it and loved it, I went back to thank the person again for finding me a game that surprised me and surpassed my expectations of it being a dumb cartoony game.

I just bought Into the Nexus on Amazon for the PS3, I hope to play through that game before Rift Apart!

B_Boss

Some news for me and the other two Turrican fans on this website. B_Boss B_Boss

The Turrican 'reveal' yesterday is a 2-part anthology which contains the amiga Turrican games, the Genesis Turrican games and their director's cut versions, and the snes Turrican games with their director's cut games. Each of the two volumes will have a physical and a collector's edition priced at 35 and 100 bucks accordingly.

The games themselves are basically rom versions of the old games ala Castlevania anthology with only one distinction. Apparently you can choose between the old soundtracks, or a remixed version of those songs composed by the man himself, Chris Huelsbeck.

So yeah, I'm buying the digital versions when they become available.

Same and thanks for that dude. When, like you I was excited thinking it would be a remake 😭. Definitely grabbing the digital version as well 🍻.

HAL-01

gJumYxz.jpg

Mahavastu

Some news for me and the other two Turrican fans on this website. B_Boss B_Boss
So yeah, I'm buying the digital versions when they become available.
Yesterday I read that the company behind all this does not release digital versions and makes only physical limited releases. The Turrican discs are all limited to 2000-3000 pieces and each one has an unique number.
Would be stupid, but that seems to be their thing... :messenger_neutral:

DrDamn

I'm sorry but i feel like you are kind of reaching here stating that he is warping through entire worlds when the camera has your character on a set path facing the direction the developers intend for you to see until it loads up the world you are actually able to start exploring again.

Aside from other replies to you I'd also make the point that this is all they need to load initially. Once in the world they can stream in what ever else they need depending on where the player goes. The core point is that the world can change completely this quickly.

Aside from the insanely fast loading, what most impressed me was the sheer number of particles and NPCs on screen, sometimes even being so much it was distracting.

It wasn't just the number either, it was the quality of the effects were great too.

B_Boss

I find that this excellent presentation ought to be referred to quite often in our nextgen discussions and speculation. Here is an English language transcript of the “Road To PS5” Cerny Presentation:

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's weird how come all the MS shills have come out in unison yesterday with very similar messages of discontent? Cynical part of me thinks this is marketing as they know MS will show something soon :messenger_sunglasses:

The hilarious thing is that all of these people have been good little XBox promoters for a long time - and probably haven't actually seen a red cent for all of their hard work. They've towed the company line like good employees - without actually being employees of the company. And now that loyalty has been rewarded with nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's a domino effect going on of people who have finally realised they've been played, and played hard by marketing spin and empty promises.

DrDamn

So what will happen first? What's next?

1. PS5 price & date
2. XSX price & date
3. Lockhart reveal

My guess is PS5 won't go before Xbox.

I'm starting to think it will be:

1. XSX delay until 2021
2. PS5 price and date

That's what Sony are waiting for. At this point I think MS are too far behind in terms of development environment and getting stuff running on XSX. This means even if they can launch this year the software won't be favourable in comparisons (*). If they take the time then they can plan a better launch and put together some stuff which shows off what their box is really capable of. You only get one launch, and messing it up by pushing it out the door when the key features you've worked so hard to produce can't be demonstrated because it simply isn't ready yet would be a bad decision.

(*) All things being equal I expect XSX to be able to show an advantage of some sort in multi-platform titles. It might just be a hard to spot res-bump or slightly more stable framerates, but the hardware difference should allow for something. Sony seem to have delivered a very efficient and clever design, but MS haven't just chucked in the fastest GPU they could manage and called it a day there is some good design in there too - they are mostly just well behind schedule on the environment side.

The hilarious thing is that all of these people have been good little XBox promoters for a long time - and probably haven't actually seen a red cent for all of their hard work. They've towed the company line like good employees - without actually being employees of the company. And now that loyalty has been rewarded with nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's a domino effect going on of people who have finally realised they've been played, and played hard by marketing spin and empty promises.
I mentioned on a post not that long ago... I honestly hope these guys got paid for their takes, because the alternative was too sad and depressing for me to accept.

Let me know what you think about the hair in both of these characters...

I really think Insomniac Games have a secret sauce for next-gen hair...

Note: consider that the top image is rendered far from the camera while the bottom image is rendered close to it.

vbeydI4.png

T6vGUt4.png
We’ve upgraded our characters with 4D scans and improved skin shading for more realistic looking characters and spline-based hair that moves far more naturally.

1. XSX delay until 2021
2. PS5 price and date

That's what Sony are waiting for. At this point I think MS are too far behind in terms of development environment and getting stuff running on XSX. This means even if they can launch this year the software won't be favourable in comparisons (*). If they take the time then they can plan a better launch and put together some stuff which shows off what their box is really capable of. You only get one launch, and messing it up by pushing it out the door when the key features you've worked so hard to produce can't be demonstrated because it simply isn't ready yet would be a bad decision.

(*) All things being equal I expect XSX to be able to show an advantage of some sort in multi-platform titles. It might just be a hard to spot res-bump or slightly more stable framerates, but the hardware difference should allow for something. Sony seem to have delivered a very efficient and clever design, but MS haven't just chucked in the fastest GPU they could manage and called it a day there is some good design in there too - they are mostly just well behind schedule on the environment side.

Man, if I'm Jim Ryan right now I'd be sweating. There's a chance they're playing chicken and not know the guy on the other car jumped out long ago :messenger_tears_of_joy:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If they delay the Series X, it'll kill it stone dead.

They can't give Sony a few months head start. If they do, it'll be a disaster. Look how long it took Ps3 to begin to catch up to 360 after it launched a year later. And that came with huge expense on Sony's part. And that was following a period when they had the most successful games console of all time. Microsoft are coming off one dud. If the Series X launch is delayed, it'll be another, and I don't see Microsoft shareholders wanting to continue with a project that has delivered two duds in a row.

The Series X must come out around the same time as the Ps5. If it doesn't, I can seriously see Microsoft going the same way as Sega. The company as a whole won't just keep propping up an unsuccessful games hardware department ad infinitum. The move into producing only software would be almost inevitable because that's where the money is.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

1. XSX delay until 2021
2. PS5 price and date

I think Microsoft will gladly launch their new console this fall with no 1st party games just to get a few sales and sell some 3rd party games on their store. We all know the real launch will be whenever Halo comes out, probably fall 2021.

They can't afford to give Sony even a 3 months head start. Better to launch the console this year with a few games and catch up over time, if they can.

Number one rumor I hear about Xbox Series X. Is how in depth and detailed Velocity Architecture is. Very difficult to master.

Sounds like made up nonsense to me. “Velocity Architecture” is a marketing banner for four distinct elements last time I checked:

1) An SSD instead of a magnetic HDD. This isn’t difficult to develop for, certainly no more than on PS5.

2) A hardware decompressor. This is part of the IO pipeline and is invisible to the developer, merely netting increase IO throughput.

3) Sampler Feedback for Streaming. This is also a hands-off part of the IO and rendering pipeline and something the GPU and graphics API handles in the background to reduce memory footprint and fall back to resident mip levels if the data doesn’t arrive in time. The larger part of what this does (Partially Resident Textures) will also be in PS5 at some unknown level as compared with XSX. It’s developer hands-off.

4) DirectStorage API. The only part of Velocity Architecture a developer actually interacts with, but the changes made for DirectStorage aren’t on the developer-facing side of things, but what happens after a developer requests a file using it.

That we’ve not seen any XSX HDMI-out yet because Velocity Architecture is somehow tricky for developers to figure out sounds like made up nonsense from someone reaching for an excuse.

The other features XSX has outside of what they market as Velocity Architecture are no more complex or harder to work with than what is offered on PS5.

I still think Microsoft were simply much later in getting developer kits out, and potentially even late at getting developer SDK out, meaning there hasn’t been enough time to even port projects over yet in a way you could rely on for a demo or scripted in-engine trailer.

PS5 solution is more hardware based with some Software to back it. As Xbox Series X is more 50% Hardware and 50% software based. To put it in layman terms. This approach has given Sony’s PS5 Solution and early leg up in development. But There has been some small problem developing for PS5 to on a small scale for some studios and devs. That is where some of the Rumors came from. I can go in detail on that if you would like. Mind you what I hear is second hand and whispers in the wind.

Sony has done an enormous amount of work on the software and API side of things as part of their IO stack, as detailed in the patent when talking about File Archive API.

This persistent forum folk-wisdom of PS5 going “all hard-ware” for their IO while XSX taking a “more software” approach is absolute nonsense.

The entire point of an API like File Archive is that while it completely changes file access and metadata retrieval on an OS & kernel level, for the end user it is unchanged with how they used the old API for loading data.
On PS5 the user just provides a filename to an asynchronous function and is notified when the file is resident in memory. That’s it. There’s nothing for any developer to need to relearn, no matter how small a studio they are.

Your sources for these “whispers” sound clueless.

GreyHand23

Sony has done an enormous amount of work on the software and API side of things as part of their IO stack, as detailed in the patent when talking about File Archive API.

This persistent forum folk-wisdom of PS5 going “all hard-ware” for their IO while XSX taking a “more software” approach is absolute nonsense.

The entire point of an API like File Archive is that while it completely changes file access and metadata retrieval on an OS & kernel level, for the end user it is unchanged with how they used the old API for loading data.
On PS5 the user just provides a filename to an asynchronous function and is notified when the file is resident in memory. That’s it. There’s nothing for any developer to need to relearn, no matter how small a studio they are.

Your sources for these “whispers” sound clueless.

The "whispers" are in his head and if so he should get that checked out. Could be serious.

I just wanna see a live demo that starts with the PS5 turning on, show us the home screen, then launch Ratchet and play.
This I believe is where the Dusk Guys info came from. But I never heard any studios name, game engine or game project be named specifically. This second hand and whispers mind you!

I have heard rumors and whispers some games running 4K and with ray tracing on the PS5. Devs Debug Kits was struggling to maintain 10.2TF. That some games was dipping into 9.5Tf to 9.8Tf area. This info was from around may when whispers of this was leaking out. Got louder at the beginning of June. It was so bad for some game studios. Dev Kits and Debug kits was crashing and over heating. So devs had to drop games down to 1080P and 1400p to work on them. Sony was notified and Sony Ninjas was supposed to be help fixing those issues and replacing and updating Dev Kits and Debug Consoles. As Devs where still working on engines for PS5 features. This wasn’t an issue with all studios. Some studios and Game Engines.

I Just find It funny the fact that its the PS5 thats showing a Lot of problems yet It is Sony who has been showing games running on It without any problem whatsoever, while MS, on the other hand, ddint show anything running on their console so Far wich is embarassing

Your post seems to want to take back many of the old FUDs like 9tf, overheating etc wich all came straight from the discord Xbox fanatics.

Ask the mods to get vetted First.

DrDamn

If they delay the Series X, it'll kill it stone dead.

They can't give Sony a few months head start.

I think most have already made up their mind which they want and will buy them when they launch (even if it's 3-6 months later). So initial sales will not be affected, perception will be though. Launching when not ready could kill the brand more than waiting. That said I have forgotten one point which could mean delay isn't an option - they've stopped producing X1X and likely scaled down X1S production - they may have nothing else to sell.

assurdum

Banned
PS5 solution is more hardware based with some Software to back it. As Xbox Series X is more 50% Hardware and 50% software based. To put it in layman terms. This approach has given Sony’s PS5 Solution and early leg up in development. But There has been some small problem developing for PS5 to on a small scale for some studios and devs. That is where some of the Rumors came from. I can go in detail on that if you would like. Mind you what I hear is second hand and whispers in the wind.
Let me resume: ps5 has a sort of advantage in development because it's more hardware relative but meanwhile it give some more problem because of it, compared the serie X. Isn't it a bit... contradictory and illogical such assertion?

Last edited:

It all—always—comes down to the games and where your friends are. Especially when the differences in power are rumoured to be as close as they have ever been.

People that only care about having a box full of teraflops and buy premium products are already on PC.

Xbox needs to work on—and likely are working on—reasons that will plop out the back of an XSX and XSS HDMI port as to why you need to go and pick one up. Like the original Halo did for me.

The amount of hardcore console fans that only care about a slight compute advantage more than anything else might be amplified on an enthusiasts forum, but they are such a tiny slice on the great pie-chart of sales. The wedge that pays the bills and determines success care only about the games, the price, and where their friends play.

Sony has the momentum on the games so far, and due to PS4’s success they have momentum on where friends play, too. PS4 cues PS5 up with a big advantage out of the gate, even in strong Xbox territories.

As far as I can see, only price differences can make a huge impact on that most significant slice of potential customers. Not teraflops. The difference isn’t big enough for a 720p vs 1080p gulf in review videos.

Series S really might be Microsoft’s secret weapon and saviour. It really has a chance of being the most dominant console next-generation, but it reaaaaaaally needs to be showing gameplay running on it pretty soon, or this Twitter poll could predict sales many years from now.

I will say it’s clear I have a preference for PS5 so far, a pretty clear one. But it will be a huge shame for me personally if Microsoft ends up ducking out and competing with Google and Amazon with game streaming.

I will get a PS5 at launch, no question now. But when my wallet gets itchy a year or two later I genuinely want there to be a good reason for me personally to go out and add an XSX to my cabinet, too. Like the 360 and PS3 era, or the Xbox and PS2 era.
GamePass is clearly loved by many but it has zero appeal or draw for me. I’m lucky in that price isn’t the first thing I consider. But people like me are also a slim part of that pie-chart of who-sells-what-and-how-many.

For me, Xbox’s best hope right now potentially lies with Series S and GamePass for getting the masses involved and their numbers up towards a recovery, and regaining the momentum 360 helped develop early on.

I don’t think XSX and PC cinematic trailers showing games that will also likely run on XO are doing enough to convince the average person.

We enthusiasts just don’t factor in as much as we think we do in our online echo chambers.

TimFL

Possible COD next gen exclusive upgrade for ps5 only(at launch). Could be some of that Sony money we have been hearing about.

No it doesn't mean any Sony money. It's the same offer on both consoles.

MS prohibits publishers from charging extra for next gen upgrades, Sony doesn't (nor does it enforce any upgrade policy). But people see what people want to see, in the end it's both the same deal on the paper with both offering cross-gen bundles.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm genuinely surprised Microsoft seem to have found themselves in such a bad position even their most ardent fans are exasperated. The last thing any of us should want is an entirely dominant and unopposed Sony. I hope Microsoft react like a cornered rat and have some disruptive thing to destabilise or at least keep Sony on their feet.

Lockhart reveal is even more important now I think but I still worry for it being a discless SKU at that end of the market. Maybe not such a problem in NA but elsewhere...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No it doesn't mean any Sony money. It's the same offer on both consoles.

MS prohibits publishers from charging extra for next gen upgrades, Sony doesn't (nor does it enforce any upgrade policy). But people see what people want to see, in the end it's both the same deal on the paper with both offering cross-gen bundles.

Yep. Neither company is handling this upgrade business well. It’s confusing as shit.

Back in the day you either bought the version for the old console, or the version for the new one. Nice and simple. Quite why we’ve got this farce going on this time around isn’t clear to me, but I’m sure it has something to do with gouging more money from gamers for no adequate reason.

Lockhart reveal is even more important now I think but I still worry for it being a discless SKU at that end of the market. Maybe not such a problem in NA but elsewhere...

I’m not sure ‘here’s our new new console, which isn’t as good as our old new console’ is all that much of a market share winner, to be quite honest with you.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I’m not sure ‘here’s our new new console, which isn’t as good as our old new console’ is all that much of a market share winner, to be quite honest with you.

I think for the casual masses it could do really well at $250-$300. It just depends on the caveats and here I believe for most in that market segment no disc drive is a big one.

Or maybe Microsoft hit the panic button, cancel Lockhart and price XSX silly low and hope that does the trick? Highly unlikely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom