• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

Whats the point in hiding their cards till the last second?. Not much can change at this point and I really don't see either console manufacturer doubling their RAM this time.

That's what I mean. They waited until not much can change for either company to reveal their real devkits. I guess MS is just being overly cautious after last time.

magnumpy

E3 2020... I expect there will be a lot reveled about next-gen there. the timing June next year is just too on the nose. Sony/MS basically have to talk about next generation...

FranXico

Phil - "Nobodys asking for VR" so they are not making.

Also Phil - Here take XCloud and this low powered next gen console.

Who asked for these?
satya-nadella.jpg

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t like The idea of 2 consoles at launch, but if they do it, both will blow past VR sales. It’s really not comparable.

I know why they are doing it was just poking Phil.

Just several Devs are on record as saying they dont even want this low powered console when designing games for next gen.

Racer!

It's not a low powered console since it will perform at the same perf in 1080p.

Until Sony with some exclusive PS5 games aims for 1080-1440 with CBR to 4K....gonna make Microsoft look like a generation behind. They would REALLY have to gimp Lockhart.

My guess is Sony gonna put some really specialized hardware in this time around. The SSD/storage i/o is probably just the start. Would f*** up Microsofts plan to be compatible everywhere. PC`s Consoles etc.

Being compatible means sacrifising flexibility and its going to bite them hard.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's not a low powered console since it will perform at the same perf in 1080p.

When we are hearing Scarlett and PS5 are over 10 TFs and Lockhart is 4 ish that is a low powered console in my book.

All I care about is when I buy a true next gen game it better not be held back because Lockhart can only do (insert whatever) to force parody and make sure no one gets left behind.

magnumpy

might as well drop this in here.

Another Sony patent has revealed a quirky new PlayStation VR accessory that could be for PS5

The PS5's PS VR headset could feature a telepresence accessory that'll enhance virtual reality multiplayer

The PS5 could support a new accessory for Sony's PlayStation VR headset, one which more authentically simulates the behavior of a virtual reality user from a remote location via telepresence technology.
As first discovered by LetsGoDigital, the device patent was filed by Sony Interactive with USPTO in October, but only become accessible to the public last month, revealing images and extensive descriptions of what's referred to as an "Actuator apparatus."

In essence, the apparatus is a spherical device with an attached camera that would simulate the VR user's head motions remotely in real time, while also providing a 360 degree view of the room it's situated in directly to the headset itself. This would enable those in proximity to the device to get a better idea of the user's body language, and the patent even suggests it could effectively convey their emotional states (depicting sadness, for instance, if the user - and thus the device - tilts its head down).
Naturally, this sounds like technology that's more useful for conference calls in Silicon Valley than anything else, with the best already available counterpart being Facebook's Portal infrastructure, which simulates a similar VR space for remote meetings. However, we could easily see this apparatus have its uses for multiplayer and party VR games on PS5, especially as Sony continues to develop a next-gen virtual reality headset for its upcoming successor to the PS4.
That console is due to release sometime in Holiday 2020 (around the same time as the Xbox Project Scarlett), so it's likely we'll hear more official info early next year, but a number of leaked Sony patents and fresh photos from developers of the PS5 devkit have given us a good idea of what to expect. Now all that's left is to sit and wait for the inevitable PlayStation Meeting invitations to start arriving.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Who asked for these?
lol. haha. I guess MS investors and Phil's bosses tired of being last and tired of him giving away games for a dollar asked for it.

you have to look at this from his perspective. his job is on the line. Rumors suggest that the PS5 is somehow more powerful than his Anaconda console. Cerny beat him at his own game. He had no choice but to bring back the lockhart as a hail marry attempt. Sure it comes at the expense of first party MS exclusives and maybe even 3rd party multiplats but who cares about games when your job is on the line.

diffusionx

Gold Member
lol. haha. I guess MS investors and Phil's bosses tired of being last and tired of him giving away games for a dollar asked for it.

you have to look at this from his perspective. his job is on the line. Rumors suggest that the PS5 is somehow more powerful than his Anaconda console. Cerny beat him at his own game. He had no choice but to bring back the lockhart as a hail marry attempt. Sure it comes at the expense of first party MS exclusives and maybe even 3rd party multiplats but who cares about games when your job is on the line.

It’s not his game though. His game is to push GamePass subs. He’s not going to keep his job or get promoted based on having the most powerful hardware. It’s all about if he can transition Xbox to a service business like all of MS is transitioning to. The whole point of Xbox Scarlett is to get people signed up to GamePass.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s not his game though. His game is to push GamePass subs. He’s not going to keep his job or get promoted based on having the most powerful hardware. It’s all about if he can transition Xbox to a service business like all of MS is transitioning to. The whole point of Xbox Scarlett is to get people signed up to GamePass.
a $300 console will help him sell more gamepass subs.

Gamernyc78

Banned

His game isn't as static as you make it seem. His job is to bring as much profit as possible no matter how thy do it and to make the business grow so investors can be happy even if thts by selling more consoles, more subs, etc. It's not just a one paradigm shift, it never is in business.

THE:MILKMAN

Maybe Lockhart could have half the GPU disabled due to defects, so let's say they could use the scraps for a cheap console.

No way would there be ~75% of the CUs defective in even a worse case yields scenario. Also be a very expensive chip for a ~$300 Lockhart. More likely they'll be two APUs with Lockhart's used in xCloud servers and much later (1-2 years) they switch to the Anaconda APU at 5/3nm.

nowhat

His game isn't as static as you make it seem. His job is to bring as much profit as possible no matter how thy do it and to make the business grow so investors can be happy even if thts by selling more consoles, more subs, etc. It's not just a one paradigm shift, it never is in business.
You're right, of course.

But what really grinds my gears if when people take Spencer as something other than a figurehead. He's a PR person (and good at it, granted). But then Cerny actually designs hardware and writes software. Marble fucking Madness, you younguns having no idea.

When we are hearing Scarlett and PS5 are over 10 TFs and Lockhart is 4 ish that is a low powered console in my book.

All I care about is when I buy a true next gen game it better not be held back because Lockhart can only do (insert whatever) to force parody and make sure no one gets left behind.
Might have something like 5500 XT Navi 14 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 which is planty for 1080p gaming, this card is branded as a 1080p gaming card.

You're right, of course.

But what really grinds my gears if when people take Spencer as something other than a figurehead. He's a PR person (and good at it, granted). But then Cerny actually designs hardware and writes software. Marble fucking Madness, you younguns having no idea.

Haha, loved Marble Madness back in the day...until I roll the trackball too hard and fall off the damn side!

The+nostalgia+_e486e2af43bf71dcb89e36736b14e8d5.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
You're right, of course.

Yes he definitely is a pr figure head with alot more ppl involved pulling the strings and voting on what to do. Cerny definitely is entrenched more in the gaming aspects like hardware,VR, etc.

I'll tell you one thing though this rivalry is like at 10000000000 plus and has me thoroughly excited to see what both bring even though I don't plan on getting an Xbox or if I do not day one. This shit is good for consumers and these back and forth even on these forums is building the hype at least for me.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

ofcourse they will, u think it will have a dedicated gpu!? thats crazy.

Wait, what!? I didn't say that at all. I'm saying they won't make a single large (~380mm2?) APU and then deactivate 75% of the GPU and lower the CPU clock to put in a budget console.

More likely there will be two separate APUs. Lockhart around say 200/230mm2 and Anaconda ~380mm2. The Lockhart APU could get economy of scale through using it in the xCloud servers for streaming and the Anaconda could be the new X sold at a premium in lower numbers.

Mass Shift

Who asked for these?

Gamers did. Consumers did.

"I don't care about 4K, I just want to game. Give me 1080p and 30fps and good games"

"Don't force a peripheral that I didn't even ask for on me"

"I'm not paying over $399 for anything"

I hate Xbox, I'll NEVER own one. They don't have games anyway, but (and here is where this argument ALWAYS spins on it's head) I'll just buy all their exclusives on PC"

"This is going to be MS' last console anyway. They're getting out of the hardware business. This has been their plan since the very beginning. So with XCloud and Gamepass I don't ever need to invest in any console from them now "

"I want 4K and the highest frames and image quality possible. I'm not afraid of a higher prices console if it means I get a premium experience with my games "

"If I can play all Xbox games on whatever device I want, what do I need an Xbox for?"

"I see so many people having fun with games like Fortnite. I'd really like to try my hand at gaming but these game prices and hardware costs are more than I would like to invest"

" Xbox not having VR is a real deal breaker for me MS, never going to buy your console now! "

Phil Spencer: Xbox gamers aren't asking me for this (and they're really not), but there's always PlayStation if you have to have VR.

It seems that for nearly every situation MS has an option for you, even one that leads away from their hardware and ecosystem.

Tqaulity

Might have something like 5500 XT Navi 14 GPU with 8GB GDDR6 which is planty for 1080p gaming, this card is branded as a 1080p gaming card.

No, for Lockhart to not limit the next gen games, the CPU and RAM setup have to be identical to the Scarlet. In other words, the scaling of the visuals (resolution, details etc) is perfectly doable if the only hardware variable is the GPU (i.e. PS4 to PS4 pro). But if you only have 8GB of RAM in Lockhart and 24GB of RAM in Scarlett, a developer making a game that has to run on both will in fact be limited by the 8GB of RAM. Assets, geometry, world size, texture resolution etc will have to fit within the 8GB envelope meaning that it won't be taking advantage of the scale and level of detail possible with 24GB for example.

TBiddy

My guess is Sony gonna put some really specialized hardware in this time around. The SSD/storage i/o is probably just the start. Would f*** up Microsofts plan to be compatible everywhere. PC`s Consoles etc.

My guess is you don't know much about hardware in consoles. Both the PS5 and Scarlett will be "really specialized hardware" and have hardware-solutions not found in the PC world. Just like consoles always have had. I've no idea what you mean with the latter part about Microsoft being "compatible everywhere", but to be extremely frank - I'm not sure you have any idea either. It's not like you can just take an Xbox game and run it on a PC. Never has been the case and won't be the case in Scarlett either.

There's no "biting" here.

vpance

No, for Lockhart to not limit the next gen games, the CPU and RAM setup have to be identical to the Scarlet. In other words, the scaling of the visuals (resolution, details etc) is perfectly doable if the only hardware variable is the GPU (i.e. PS4 to PS4 pro). But if you only have 8GB of RAM in Lockhart and 24GB of RAM in Scarlett, a developer making a game that has to run on both will in fact be limited by the 8GB of RAM. Assets, geometry, world size, texture resolution etc will have to fit within the 8GB envelope meaning that it won't be taking advantage of the scale and level of detail possible with 24GB for example.

Half the CPU and like 2/3 the RAM of Scarlett is my guess. But maybe it'll have a cut down OS that doesn't reserve as much memory.

Until Sony with some exclusive PS5 games aims for 1080-1440 with CBR to 4K....gonna make Microsoft look like a generation behind. They would REALLY have to gimp Lockhart.

Unless they hire Ken Kutaragi back, you aren't getting any really specialized hardware in there. I think Sony learned their lesson on going full-on Mad Scientist in terms of tech with PS3.

Compared to Kutaragi, Cerny's always been the type who tries innovating with what's affordable and fairly mature. They're not out here trying to create whole new processing architectures.

I do miss the highly custom, exotic architecture days of old, but the industry's too big and consumer tech as a whole too wholly integrated in order to keep taking that route any longer.

Wait, what!? I didn't say that at all. I'm saying they won't make a single large (~380mm2?) APU and then deactivate 75% of the GPU and lower the CPU clock to put in a budget console.

More likely there will be two separate APUs. Lockhart around say 200/230mm2 and Anaconda ~380mm2. The Lockhart APU could get economy of scale through using it in the xCloud servers for streaming and the Anaconda could be the new X sold at a premium in lower numbers.
What you're saying makes sense, but only if they started designing a Lockhart SKU long time ago.

If it's a recent change of heart (as the media portray it at least), then using Scarlett scraps might be a desperate possibility if you will.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Jim Ryan on the DualShock 5.

“I actually tried it myself in a test version of Gran Turismo Sport. I was very surprised by the gameplay feel that was very different compared to the current DualShock 4.

This is a very promising feature. Of course, with the improvement of the graphics over PS4, I think you will feel a great evolution as a gaming experience.”

Mass Shift

Lockhart is

if Lockhart is MS' hailmary pass against Sony then they're in trouble. Lockhart facilitates a gap for new users and casuals, especially here in North America. There are a lot of non serious players here.

Lockhart isn't about Sony. If It is then MS would have missed their own strategy.

Mass Shift

Speak for yourself.

All we have to do is look at the discussions right here.

I do think some of it certainly a bit of option overkill. Lol. But ultimately good if you fall into any of these complex categories where you value some things over other things.

Racer!

My guess is you don't know much about hardware in consoles. Both the PS5 and Scarlett will be "really specialized hardware" and have hardware-solutions not found in the PC world. Just like consoles always have had. I've no idea what you mean with the latter part about Microsoft being "compatible everywhere", but to be extremely frank - I'm not sure you have any idea either. It's not like you can just take an Xbox game and run it on a PC. Never has been the case and won't be the case in Scarlett either.

There's no "biting" here.

:messenger_poop:

Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Halo, Sea of Thieves etc etc can be played on PC, so theres that.

They have said themselves they want to be "on every device."

Hell, their slogan is Xbox play anywhere :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom