• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some funny gems in that discord too like...

mOUlRoN.png

Jason 1 x 0 Klobrille
Klobrille is quite passionate about team xbox and more power to him. You can always be passionate about one platform and stay quiet about commenting on the competition or try to at least not misinform with fud, but klob looks like an idiot here.

What L? For what reason? I brought up the point that it seems odd that older gets even have to be mentioned and then posted that since it seems I'm not the only one to consider it so. Why does everything have to be such a fighting thing? It is a speculation thread...Smh
I directly referred to hiphopgamer, the guy that originally put out the rumor that PS5 would have BC all the way back to PS1 when talking about taking the L, not you. I don't intend to fight in the slightest. Hiphopgamer has proven to be quite full of shit on a couple of occasions, so it's something I won't believe until Sony themselves announce it. Sorry if it came across as confrontational, not my intention.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No but they treat Sony as the do no wrong pro consumer company.

Nintendo fans are doing their Nintendo thing.
Wow so hardcore sony fan thinks that sony are pro consuer in al their decisions ...Wow you are right it is as bad as that discord group mass banning(with fake report), harrassing people, being racist and sexist, creating fake insiders to spread lies and regrouping to prepare multiple attacks over at least 2 forums....

I guess no Xbox fanboys (I mean those hardcore fanboys) has ever been in denial about a shitty practice from MS either.So that equals pretty much the balance ....

Vroadstar

Just to piggyback on this. They would organize mass reporting of PS fans in the era Playstation Technical Spec thread, and get them all banned. This happened for quite some time until mods finally caught on and banned them all for mass reporting.

So they would troll PS users in a PS thread, and any people took the bait, they mass reported everyone. Mods on era have already said that they only look at reports when banning people so any time they saw multiple reports on one post, they would immediately look at it and ban the user. I remember when this happened. It was when Brad Sams said something about the PS5 being a 9 tflops system. Someone in the PS5 thread posted it, and just like that they all descended on that thread and started calling out users for insulting a forum member. (Bsams had an account there.) Around 5 PS fans were banned that day in that thread, but im glad to see these fuckers got their comeuppance soon after.

this was only a couple of days before monkeypunch posted the screenshots of the discord. they are losers. and it wasnt just relegated to era. They showed up here on gaf in this very thread within five minutes of monkeypunch first revealing the discord back in december of last year. I didnt even know colbert or shepshal had an account here but they both showed up to deny it immediately. proelite used to be the only one who posted here semi-regularly but he showed up immediately as well. these idiots indirectly confirmed the existence of a discord by denying it.

Says the guy who trolls other´s people posts. And has his profile "hidden". Just a matter of time. Do you like to play WoW? Having a hard time, finding a proper vocation for my alts.
c3pl54C.png

You want to know why he is on the defense?

VV0yDsS.png

Anybody still was thinking about it ? I was sure it isn't happening from march...
For most players such a BC is just a gimmick.
come on now dawg

you are doing a disservice to the entire gaming community with this poor whiny damage control of yours

open your eyes:

etc etc etc etc
already,
and now xbox is coming even stronger at this, with automatic machine learning HDR and doubling of framerates

You should be saying and doing exactly the opposite of what you do.
Grow up!

Doncabesa

Maybe he can be our mole?

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Would you be willing to do that for us Doncabesa Doncabesa ?

Please.
Sure thing, right now people are talking about the Wasteland patch and hoping it helps fix the crashing issue on OG Xbox ones. Later we'll sacrifice a goat to our lord Phil and have our weekly meeting about what new FUD to spread.

Don't worry. It's all out of context :

O4UzTkk.png

S4Fdf0P.png
Yeah, Oggmeiler was kicked over that.

kyliethicc

come on now dawg

you are doing a disservice to the entire gaming community with this poor whiny damage control of yours

open your eyes:

etc etc etc etc
already,
and now xbox is coming even stronger at this, with automatic machine learning HDR and doubling of framerates

Grow up!

Xbox One is backwards compatible. Doesn't sell very well.
Switch is not. Sells great.
PS4 is not. Sells great.

Back compat doesn't sell hardware.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I mean, it's mostly pointless, but PS1 & 2 emulation in software is stupidly easy at this point. It seems almost foolish NOT to include it. PS3 I can see being more of a challenge though.
Most likely the PS5 disk reader can't even read CDs at all, like the one on the PS4, so the concept of PS1 backwards compatibility makes no sense to begin with.

If you want a console to be backwards-compatible with games from previous generations through software, there are two ways to approach the issue: install a generic emulator on the console and run games through that, or manage games one at a time to make them individually compatible either through an emulator or by completely recompiling them for the new system.

The first solution is the most obvious, but it still requires you to set up the emulator in such a way that as many games as possible will work correctly, integrate it to some extent with the OS (for example for memory cards), and you are still left with a huge question mark on how many games will actually work correctly. The best PS2 emulators for PC have been fine-tuned by fans for more than a decade, but even though they manage to make most things work well or fine there are long lists of games with known compatibility issues or flat out not working at all.

So unless you want to spend a lot of time and money for this, you still end up with an emulator that kinda mostly works, but is still not even a guarantee whatever game you meant to play will actually run correctly, so it's a difficult feature to market and assign perceived value in the eyes of the user.

The second way is to do the inverse process, so rather than creating a single emulator and throwing at it every old game in existence as is hoping a decent number works, you start going through the games one by one and retroactively fix what is causing compatibility issues. This is what Microsoft does for Xbox and Xbox 360 games: Xbox One is NOT backwards-compatible strictly speaking, but rather a list of about 600 older games have been made forward-compatible by Microsoft. When you insert the disk of a supported Xbox or Xbox 360 game the console DOES NOT run the game from your disk, bur rather uses the disk as a form of physical DRM and downloads a DIFFERENT version of the game from the store, a version that has been tampered with by Microsoft to guarantee it works.

In other words: this is the exact process that also happens when you download from the PS Store a PS1, PS2 or PSVita game that is compatible with PS4. The only difference is that Microsoft accepts an old original disk as a proof of purchase, while Sony doesn't and forces you to buy the game digitally even if you own a physical copy. I am expecting PS5 to be "backwards compatible" with PS1, PS2 and PS3 in a similar vein to how PS4 was and Xbox One and Xbox Series X are: so not "backwards compatible" at all, but rather supporting a list of select games they made forward-compatible. It's still unclear to what extent this is also the way PS5 is compatible with PS4 games, but going from Cerny's words I assume Sony could adopt a solution a bit in-between the other two (test the game, if it runs fine via simple emulation that's it, otherwise create a patch to make it forward-compatible). From what Microsoft said it sounds like XSX is actually backwards compatible with Xbox One in the literal sense of the term, but I don't know for sure.

So, at the end of the day you have two options: offer a quick and cheap, but haphazard and generally inferior solution to what Microsoft is doing; or go on and do what both they and Microsoft have been doing so far offering a select list of available titles (even though Sony decided to recoup the development and re-licensing costs from users who owned a game physically and Microsoft didn't, so in the general perception "Xbox is backwards-compatible and PS4 isn't").

jimbojim

Banned
Sure thing, right now people are talking about the Wasteland patch and hoping it helps fix the crashing issue on OG Xbox ones. Later we'll sacrifice a goat to our lord Phil and have our weekly meeting about what new FUD to spread.

I'll give you an ideas. Try to spread FUD to be like it is out of context.

Qdr7lAL.jpg

FKiUvP8.png

8LdLTBI.png

Why do you want to poor old moderator dead??

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
come on now dawg

open your eyes:

etc etc etc etc
already,

Grow up!

I've played it all on PC, consoles etc.
Was fun back then, its shit now.
Adults don't have time to play recent releases, so na chance for old ones.
Kids dont care about anything older than few years.
So no, it's no damage controle. Youre not understanding that BC is maybe for some "pro consumer" but mostly it isnt hitting any target being just waste or resources that could be put in other places like having most advanced controller called dualsense.

I think PS players mostly care about NEXT GENERATION.
PCMR can play older games and beg for old sony exclusives. Same goes for xbox players.

Last edited by a moderator:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'll give you an ideas. Try to spread FUD to be like it is out of context.

Qdr7lAL.jpg

FKiUvP8.png

8LdLTBI.png
That's out of context either, wishing the death in a lot of pain of someone that work for the concurrent firm of a product you want to buy, when put in context is perfectly fine ....
You see context allows you to say anything lie, wish the death of people, be racist because there is the allforgiving excuse ... Context ... Amen.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Wow so hardcore sony fan thinks that sony are pro consuer in al their decisions ...Wow you are right it is as bad as that discord group mass banning(with fake report), harrassing people, being racist and sexist, creating fake insiders to spread lies and regrouping to prepare multiple attacks over at least 2 forums....

I guess no Xbox fanboys (I mean those hardcore fanboys) has ever been in denial about a shitty practice from MS either.So that equals pretty much the balance ....

Maybe not AS bad. Still bad tho.

Great Hair

Banned
Just a matter of time for what? Are you threatening me over a video game forum you lunatic?

BSOD while reading someone´s post. Re-read and eventually you will understand.

I dont understand why people care about ps1,2 and 3 BC complete pointless feature imo

It´s MS best feature. Not the BC, but that you´re able to HDR, upscale them on the fly to make them look better? That´s nice.

Last edited:

HAL-01

If by that you mean they were taken from Zbrush then no. Those are:

e0e6629d97203ac3122b0d2427f0e9ee876b5c74.jpeg

d362d3b1fe6da271f6c75a8184b8d4a487719d33.jpeg

And try to compare those (in-engine) to what you shown:

97d008124f9aeb8d486e3df7a3b290e9e9566e1e.jpeg

359f03fae94f3c2ac67454ed0d1bf63f7af3d321.jpeg

2886497-uncharted-4_drake-surprised.jpg

The difference is that what you have shown was made by artist for showcase use (like for lecture at GDC). He lit the characters as he wanted to show what he wanted. Lighting for games is different. In cut-scenes you can controll it better and it makes huge difference in showing the quality of your models (ND are masters in that from Uncharted till now). Still it'll focus on what director wants to show so not always it'll be focused on making pores pop more or for good subsurface scattering look. It's not offline CGI magic (it's pointless when we already have great real time solutions).
What I mean is, that model, at that rendering quality, is not what you see in cutscenes. It’s not about pores or what have you. Lighting accuracy is turned up, which makes for more natural skin tone, more accurate self shadowing, and crisper specular highlights. Real time cutscene models always have this blurrier or “Vaseline-y” look to their shading, where highlights and shadows are in the right general areas but with much lower definition. It looks fine in game but much easier to notice in direct comparison

GqV4Vo4.jpg

Dargor

What I mean is, that model, at that rendering quality, is not what you see in cutscenes. It’s not about pores or what have you. Lighting accuracy is turned up, which makes for more natural skin tone, more accurate self shadowing, and crisper specular highlights. Real time cutscene models always have this blurrier or “Vaseline-y” look to their shading, where highlights and shadows are in the right general areas but with much lower definition. It looks fine in game but much easier to notice in direct comparison

GqV4Vo4.jpg

Are you trolling? Talking about lighting and puts up two different lighting sources images for comparison

DaGwaphics

Agreed.

Sony has the complete design documents for the PS3. They could do it, but they are unwilling. If the RPCS3 people got this far with reverse-engineering an otherwise completely closed system, Sony can absolutely pull it off on the PS5.

They have the clock speed now to pull it off, I don't see why they wouldn't give it a go. Just include a disclaimer that some software might not work. We need disk based backwards compatibility for all systems.

Spend a few extra dollars and put that BD/DVD/CD combo drive in there Sony!!!!!!

On the contrary--I agree, but if he's doubling down in light of this, I'm interested to see him vindicated. If not, it'll make fascinating spectacle to see his reputation take a dive.

Tin foil. Why bother including that? Most would automatically assume it isnt compatible. Odd.
On the page for Xbox, they list each and every console too, the wording is the same except for the fact that Xbox is backwards compatible, obviously, so I'm guessing they're just being extra clear.

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-GB/faqs/000055917

Personally, BC is not a big issue for me, but I get why it is for a lot of people, and I just think that they're being crystal clear about what is going to be possible and what not on both systems.

PS4 is not. Sells great.

So what? Are you by any chance Jim Ryan?
this is like the most pathetic, the most submissive, simply the worst way to address this

Console sales money earnings DO NOT go into your pocket!
Quite the opposite, money from your pocket leaves to buy them games
It is for your best interest that all those games that you've liked as gamer during the years,
are still there available to you no matter how many years or generations have passed.
and not only "be there", but also catch up with the times, in resolution, features, stability, framerate.

I really feel sorry for people who are so much blinded and act like corpo astroturfers
BUT,
apologetic voices like this are doing damage to the entire gaming community

We know ps5 will have backward compatibility with ps4 and ps4 pro, because AMD did the work.
What if sony finds the ps6 bill from AMD for ps5/ps4/ps4pro compatibility expensive and cut it?
Or what if ps6 goes to another manufacturer to be made?
You are playing a loosing game no matter what, and as I said, this kind of apologetic thinking is a big disservice to the entire gaming community.
You better rethink on the subject and change your tunes

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe not AS bad. Still bad tho.
Really you really think people being in denial are even remotely close than actively spreading lies, harrassing etc?
So the worst things for sony is that some of them are in denial ...And there's more than twice the number of ps4 users than Xbox.So being half as much as sony yet they are way and I mean WAY worse than sony fans.
You know our very own fish sircaw sircaw has a fud list consisting of 52 points that he had to quit because he couldn't keep up with the lies.

But sure some sony fans in denial are worth to talk about.

kyliethicc

this is like the most pathetic, the most submissive, simply the worst way to address this

It is for your best interest that all those games that you've liked as gamer during the years,
are still there available to you no matter how many years or generations have passed.
and not only "be there", but also catch up with the times, in resolution, features, stability, framerate.

I really feel sorry for people who are so much blinded and act like corpo astroturfers
BUT,

We know ps5 will have backward compatibility with ps4 and ps4 pro, because AMD did the work.
What if sony finds the ps6 bill from AMD for ps5/ps4/ps4pro compatibility expensive and cut it?
You are playing a loosing game no matter what, and as I said, this kind of apologetic thinking is a big disservice to the entire gaming community.
Lol I just don't think its a big deal

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned

BUT,

AMD did the work projecting ps4 pro and pS5 as machine compatible with ps4.
Sony of course had nothing to say during the projecting of their machines.
This dude is miserable...

Last edited by a moderator:

dimaveshkin

PS4 is not. Sells great.

Why do you care about sales? Shouldn't we all care for value we get for out money? Having such a good BC is definitely something that cranks it up. Top-management is much better in taking care of sales than us.

GqV4Vo4.jpg

The in game shots also have chromatic aberration while the other one doesn't and that impacts the visuals. I hate that effect and I don't know why any dev chooses to use it, it degrades everything and we should always have the option to turn it off.

Why do you care about sales? Shouldn't we all care for value we get for out money? Having such a good BC is definitely something that cranks it up. Top-management is much better in taking care of sales than us.

I don't want to play PS1-PS3 games, personally I'd never use it BC that went back that far, 3rd party PS3 games generally didn't perform well anyway. As long as PS4 games work I'm fine.

kyliethicc

I don't care. I was describing what the market clearly wants/cares about. You can like it. Just doesn't seem to matter that much to most.

I just don't think people buy new machines to play old games. I personally have a PS4. If I want a PS5 to play PS4 games, I could just not buy a new console and save money. I can just use my PS4 to play PS4 games. Back compat is just a cool perk, not really what drives hardware sales.

Last edited:

beni12

Neo Member

GqV4Vo4.jpg
not a fair comparison, the image on right has Film Grain.

SSfox

come on now dawg

open your eyes:

etc etc etc etc
already,

Grow up!

I don't like anything of what MS are doing with Xbox, but when it comes to BC Xbox is way ahead, someone should get its credit when it should and that's all, and the "muh nobody cares about BC" are just some stoners that just don't know the good things of life.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't like anything of what MS are doing with Xbox, but when it comes to BC Xbox is way ahead, someone should get its credit when it should and that's all, and the "muh nobody cares about BC" are just some stoners that just don't know the good things of life.
yep they are doing an amazing work with BC even though I don't think it's a system seller it is indeed a huge plus for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom