• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that one particular side try to push "loading" of Ratchet for several days already when there is no proof in the first place that it IS loading and the used method of measure have validity at all.
The whole pitch that omg, ps5 is not so fast, loading maybe not 0.8 but 2 seconds based on yadayada our pure speculations where loading starts and where it ends became really tedious and stretched.
At current point it is already a discussion just for the sake of pushing "Sony lies" as no one except people from certain side are not interested in continue this discussion.
It only takes a little bit of logic to figure it out though...
Loading times on segments that you basically see ratchet fly take ~2 seconds.
Loading times on segment where there is this level you play, take ~6 seconds.
If it was for artistic reasons -or whatever other reasons than actual loading- all segments would be of equal loading time, be it 2 seconds or 6 seconds.
-and yes both of these are impressive and a tremendous improvement over last gen!

As I said, its a pity that we cannot have meaningful conversations because console wars

I keep watching the R&C gameplay demo, where is that 6 seconds long transition?

no my friend, I am NOT doing this again. Either use your eyes, or dont. Not my problem!

Last edited:

TBiddy

As much as anyone I enjoy splitting hairs and having headed arguments online about shit that doesn't matter. I'd argue that Six-Second-Gate is one of the cases where even I don't care. Let's assume there's a short load of six seconds to shift to another dimension in R&C. So what? Who will ever sit there and think "Holy shit this is slow"?

FranXico

As much as anyone I enjoy splitting hairs and having headed arguments online about shit that doesn't matter. I'd argue that Six-Second-Gate is one of the cases where even I don't care. Let's assume there's a short load of six seconds to shift to another dimension in R&C. So what? Who will ever sit there and think "Holy shit this is slow"?
Except that there isn't even a 6-seconds-gate, it's a complete fabrication.
But like you, say, even if it was true, it doesn't really matter.

Rossco EZ

ignore list, meet the guys

guys, meet the list

oh, and...

you too
rachet-temporal-inj.png
soon you will have nobody to talk to with all your ignore list bollocks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

geordiemp

As I said, its a pity that we cannot have meaningful conversations because console wars

Says an Xbox fan totally obsesses with Ratchet 1 or 2 seconds loading time TRANSITION (shall we explain what transition means ?), but cant discuss Halo pop in or 12 seconds loading for state of decay and the never to be seen slow loading of XSX next gen games if they exist as likely VA is problematic.

Why do people even engage with your trolling is beyond me.

Spiderman loads in 0.8 seconds, deal with it.

In game loading and scene changes are not the same thing. Is that too complicated for you ?

Last edited:

xacto

Says an Xbox fan totally obsesses with Ratchet 1 or 2 seconds loading time YTANSITION (shall we explain what transition means ?), but cant discuss Halo pop in or 12 seconds loading for state of decay and the never to be seen slow loading of XSX next gen games if they exist as likely VA is problematic.

In game loading and scene changes are not the same thing. Is that too complicated for you ?

It looks like you're one of those who don't like circus clowns. Understandable.

Reficul

This kind of comment is where the conflict arises.
Well I beg to differ. The conflict arises because GWS is unable to have a serious discussion about his findings.
Everyone who tries to come with any suggestions that he disagrees with is ridiculed.
How the fuck do you get any kind of serious discussion out of that?
I bet a lot of people is sick and tired of trying to have a serious conversation with him.

Unless he actually works at Insomniac, how does he know how long time the actual loading of the worlds take?
His response is always "Get your stopwatch" as if it is a normal loading screen that pops up when the transitions happen.
Cerny mentioned that developers might have to prolong the loading transitions to make it more comfortable for the gamer (not his excact words).
A person involved with the development of the game says they load the worlds in less than a second.
But oh no. Bring your stop watch. TheGreatWhiteShark will show you that they are lying.

Just my two cents.

Nowcry

If it was for artistic reasons -or whatever other reasons than actual loading- all segments would be of equal loading time, be it 2 seconds or 6 seconds.
-and yes both of these are impressive and a tremendous improvement over last gen!

no my friend, I am NOT doing this again. Either use your eyes, or dont. Not my problem!
You understand that it is not a pre-rendered cutscene, right?

In the scene you can move and in turn the game loads the entire environment at least in the camera shot even if it is on rails.

That you can't walk through that world does not mean that it is not carrying. A scene on rails only reduced the cost of design since you did not have to generate the entire world if it was not your purpose.

On the other hand, I do not think that this game is using REYES, they are only showing the speed of the I / O, if they do it on rails they can save loading the 360º and only load the camera shot. When REYES is active they can do the same but with complete worlds but for that you already have the UE5 demo running in real time on PS5.

I think you do not understand what you are seeing or do not want to understand.

geordiemp

the fact that you are continuously failing to converse about two plastic boxes without resorting to personal attacks is rather dissapointing
oh well, ignore list time

Ignore list for you as well. your just trying your best to FUD that ps5 does not have quick load times, and cant accept Spiderman loads in 0.8 seconds.

In game transitions are animated and does not equal load time is too hard for your mind to comprehend. So I will just ignore you as its poor trolling.

Did I ever say "pre-rendered"? No I didnt!
Everything shown looks real time to me.
Why do you need to put words into my mouth so as to try and make a point that stands to be valid, this I dont understand

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Exactly even if 6 seconds are the average loading times on both next gen consoles I don't think we can complain especially after this and the previous gen.

And totally off topic but why wasn't there mini games in loading time this gen like we had on some games in the ps2 era?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fuck the price, show me the damn UI, a quick game resume reload demo, features and launch games. Like the damn consolse releases in a few months

That is still over 60 days that is a LOT of time to plan a purchase.

Sony executive probably

Last edited:
difference of opinion? IGNORE :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I only put on ignore list those that instead of addressing a subject, they just come hitting with personal slurs
This is very clear
You can see even on this page people that still go on saying that the timed loading video is fake. I have no problem with that, it just shows their comprehension levels. But reply with swearing and personal attacks is another, different thing

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

In the scene you can move and in turn the game loads the entire environment at least in the camera shot even if it is on rails.

That you can't walk through that world does not mean that it is not carrying. A scene on rails only reduced the cost of design since you did not have to generate the entire world if it was not your purpose.

On the other hand, I do not think that this game is using REYES, they are only showing the speed of the I / O, if they do it on rails they can save loading the 360º and only load the camera shot. When REYES is active they can do the same but with complete worlds but for that you already have the UE5 demo running in real time on PS5.

I think you do not understand what you are seeing or do not want to understand.
What I find interesting in those transitions portal is that when listened with a headphone you can hear the sound coming from the other portals around you flying past you.

I think Microsoft are desperate for sonys price.
It's like the tflop thing, they know the public likes numbers

sony has the games for launch, Microsoft doesn't.

If Microsoft concedes on the price too, that is a double blow.
they need to have something big to wave at the consumer.

What is Microsofts angle if Sony beats them on price and has the best games.

We have the world's most powerful console, we have a carbon-neutral console. buy our console to play your old games. Our exclusives are 2-3 years out. Our load times are 6 seconds longer that Sony's. We have an extra blade of grass at 800% zoom in mode.

they lose the price war, they are fucked.

judging by that 75% poll to sony They might already be fucked

The thing is, even is Microsoft had a faster and cheaper console I am still sticking with Sony, I went pretty much 99% digital for the PS4 so I am going to want to continue playing the games I purchased for it and I do still play quite a few games that are several years old and with the PS5 I will be able to play those games in 4K with other enhancements, so even without knowing price, etc. my decision is already made.

Nowcry

What I find interesting in those transitions portal is that when listened with a headphone you can hear the sound coming from the other portals around you flying past you.

In portals sometimes things move, that's why they need to make a transition, if you could walk from one world to another by not having REYES active yet, it would force them to have the 2 scenes fully loaded in memory, which would reduce the quality of the images. 2 scenes.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright guys TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark , geordiemp geordiemp , Nowcry Nowcry .
Can we just all agree that it was a pointless discussion on which we can't base anything but speculate, and no side will convince the other?

Then we can move on about these slow ass news days.
Because this has been talked to hell and back and didn't bring anything funny or relevant besides name calling ?

Last edited:
I doubt there will be 2 more USB ports on the back.

Probably just a proprietary camera port and maybe 1 more USB-A.

I also want to see how that M.2 SSD expansion bay works.

Hopefully for the PS5 camera they don't go with a stupid proprietary connection again, just make it USB-C like everything else in the world! Lol! I am wondering what ports are going to be on the back and I too am super curious how they are going to handle the M.2 NVMe expansion bay on the PS5, wonder if there will be any room at all for a heat sink on the drive...

zubairali2

I only put on ignore list those that instead of addressing a subject, they just come hitting with personal slurs
This is very clear
You can see even on this page people that still go on saying that the timed loading video is fake. I have no problem with that, it just shows their comprehension levels. But reply with swearing and personal attacks is another, different thing

hey put me on the list too

DrDamn

I guess for some "people" 6 seconds equal to "0.8", blurry image equals to "crystal clear" and static cubes equal to "ray tracing" !
Its just a pity that these people forbid any meaningful discussion to be made.

I'd disagree. If a flying section is ~2 seconds but a running Ratchet who falls through and floats down is timed at ~6 seconds (because you wait for control to be given back to the player) then the ~2 seconds is more representative of the load times involved. One detailed world into another detailed world = 2 seconds. The same large amount of data around the player is being loaded, control is secondary.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
In portals sometimes things move, that's why they need to make a transition, if you could walk from one world to another by not having REYES active yet, it would force them to have the 2 scenes fully loaded in memory, which would reduce the quality of the images. 2 scenes.
Maybe I misunderstand you but it seemed like you took what I said as a bad thing ?No I meant the in those transitions you can hear the sound of the other portals around the character which with a headset sound amazing and cement their presence although you don't visit them in the gameplay shown.

It's a bit overwhelming though you feel like moving through so many diferent worlds each with their sound ambiance.

DaGwaphics

geordiemp geordiemp is back and still comparing that altered Spiderman 1 second load (vs. a PS4 equivalent of what 14 seconds?) to SoD loading with no code changes (a load that takes over a minute on current gen consoles). Good times. LOL

Says an Xbox fan totally obsesses with Ratchet 1 or 2 seconds loading time TRANSITION (shall we explain what transition means ?), but cant discuss Halo pop in or 12 seconds loading for state of decay and the never to be seen slow loading of XSX next gen games if they exist as likely VA is problematic.

And that Spiderman demo was on a low speed dev kit!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think I realized last night the real reason XSS exists...

Because of xCloud. They can deploy 12TF GPUs to xCloud, and when you want to pay for/stream at 4k, you get a full GPU. When you only need to stream at 1080p, you are getting a virtualized GPU, sharing that 12TF with 2 other people. Or they can deploy those 12TF GPUs and only offer 1080p, only ever splitting GPUs.. and then maybe at some point in the future "unlock" the ability to get actual XSX levels in the cloud.

So in order for that to make sense, they needed devs to support said 4TF GPU, and so it also made sense to sell the machine as part of their offering.

2ndKrueger

Neo Member
Man.. to think about it, it's not only who dares to go first with a price now. It's also who dares to go first after NVIDIA's amazing announcements. :messenger_astonished:

LucidFlux

You must've missed this one...

I find these types of studies fascinating, but this is why reading beyond the headline is important.

Right from the article:

"Now, we'll level with you here.
We performed LG's accuracy test on a laptop (we're not sure if you can even do the test on an Xbox or PlayStation) and it simply asks what your preferred console is, which isn't entirely accurate for collating data.
While the jury might be out on who is the better gamer, it's clear which console is the most popular."

I'm curious of the method of input players used. Did PS players use a dual shock, Xbox an Xbox controller and PC players on M+KB?

DaGwaphics

I think I realized last night the real reason XSS exists...

Because of xCloud. They can deploy 12TF GPUs to xCloud, and when you want to pay for/stream at 4k, you get a full GPU. When you only need to stream at 1080p, you are getting a virtualized GPU, sharing that 12TF with 2 other people. Or they can deploy those 12TF GPUs and only offer 1080p, only ever splitting GPUs.. and then maybe at some point in the future "unlock" the ability to get actual XSX levels in the cloud.

So in order for that to make sense, they needed devs to support said 4TF GPU, and so it also made sense to sell the machine as part of their offering.

Seems like that would play into it. Only snag would be they'd need additional CPU to work multiple XSS instances on the XSX GPU, since it looks like XSS will be utilizing an equivalent processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom