• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I was making is PS2 was 480, PS3 was 720, PS4 was 1080, so PS5 should be 1st to do 2160. But PS4 Pro already did 4k and so that shifted expectations, while PS5 will even be capable of 8K output. Its as if the PS4 launched with HDMI 2.0 and 4k output support.

Both companies could have just held back from any 4K aupport until next gen and launched 4-6 TF consoles for $400 in 2020 and then launched the consoles we are getting at 10-12 TF in 2023, or even 2026+.

The mid-gen refreshes of 2016-17 has shifted the power, pricing, and expectations of generations. HDMI 2.1 and 8K output are basically the "Pro" features like the PS4 Pro could do 4K. They could have held that back for a PS5 Pro in 2023.
So you want us to be stuck with vasiline blur mess till 2023 🤣🤣🤣

DeepSpace5D

Remember that $599 in 2006 is $779 today. And the Xbox 360 was $399.

Sony would have to launch the PS5 at $799 while the XSX was $599 to repeat such a mistake.
Exactly, and I agree. Releasing for $600 today is not the same as releasing for that amount when the PS3 was released. It is, though, still quite a jump from what the PS4 launched at.

I guess it just doesn’t feel like a $600 PS5 and a $500 DE lines up with what they’ve said regarding wanting to sell 10 million units in record time or wanting it to be the smoothest transition between console generations ever. Although I don’t doubt they would still sell out at those prices.

Neo Blaster

“I think the best way that we can address [the challenges of releasing a new console in a pandemic recession] is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can,” Ryan said. “I don’t necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games… all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”

Jim Ryan on PS5. That doesn't sound like its gonna be cheap. Only way I think Sony does $500 and $400 is if the XSX and XSS are $500 and $300.
Jim seems to contradict himself really hard, there's this quote and there's the fast adoption one. Unless he's taking their brand strength for granted like they did on PS3 launch, there's no fast adoption at those prices.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

At this point I could care less about price and Im not Richy McRich face.

I get it, both MS and Sony went all out in tech to give us something good.

How about they split the loss with us. We all remember when Sony took a $260 loss on PS3 per unit. It was when the economy tanked hard and Sony was getting beat down on all hardware. TVs, smartphones, cameras were bleeding money from them.

They are both in a position to take a loss because theyll make it up easy. So just put a price tag on it already and let us preorder.

roops67

Lying? I doubt it. The RSX probably had a totally different topology compared to PC GPUs from that era since it was specifically designed for an unconventional heterogeneous CPU that blurs the line between itself and GPUs...

"The RSX is designed to work closely with [the Playstation 3's Cell processor] in a closed-system environment"... "The Cell processor has multiple processors that can execute different threads and produce geometry, texture, and shader information for the RSX to consume." -- Jen-Hsun Huang (quotes are from another forum, so not going to link)

Wrapping CELL up in the RSX? Sure, David Shippy did it too...

"Again, they're completely different models. So in the PS3, you've got this Cell chip which has massive parallel processing power, the PowerPC core, multiple SPU cores… it's got a GPU that is, in the model here, processing more in the Cell chip and less in the GPU. So that's one processing paradigm -- a heterogeneous paradigm." -- David Shippy

By the way, the Shippy quote I pulled came from an article of him clearing the record on his book.

If by "Sony rasterizer" you mean the 1 Ghz GPU that Toshiba designed for PS3 but couldn't produce in sufficient yields, then yeah the plan fell apart. If you're referring to a CELL-based GPU Kutaragi supposedly had in mind for PS3 initially, then that's a fallacy. I touched on it in a prior post...

That's a myth. The entire point of the CELL Broadband Engine was to create a general purpose CPU capable of mimicking the functionality of a cellular neural network (CNN) -- a once novel parallel computing paradigm first proposed by Leon Chua and Lin Yang in 1987. Here's some takeaways from their paper....

- The key features of neural networks are asynchronous parallel processing, continuous-time dy-namics, and global interaction of network elements.
- Some encouraging if not impressive applications of neural net- works have been proposed for various fields such as opti- mization, linear and nonlinear programming, associative memory, pattern recognition and computer vision [5]-[12].
- Cellular neural networks share the best features of both worlds; its continuous time feature allows real-time signal processing found wanting in the digital domain and its local interconnection feature makes it tailor made for VLSI implementation.
- Cellular neural networks are uniquely suited for high-speed parallel signal processing.
- Conventional digital computation methods have run into a serious speed bottleneck due to their serial nature. To overcome ths problem, a new computation model, called “neural networks,” has been proposed, which is based on some aspects of neurobiology and adapted to integrated circuits [2]-[4].

The features and applications bolded in the takeaways can be found on CELL-related presentation slides from IBM...

systems-and-technology-group-12-l.jpg

ibm-systems-and-technology-group-33-l.jpg

ibm-research-32-l.jpg

ibm-research-33-l.jpg

and if you read some of Kutaragi's interviews, you'll find that he used similar language to Chua and Lang when discussing his objectives for CELL and its nature within the context of a network...

"The idea of a computer architecture that emulates living organisms struck me as I was swimming through a sea of ideas. A network made of cells that works like a single computer? I felt this wild urge to try out that sort of thing." -- Ken Kutaragi

"The chip came out far beyond my expectations. When this product was launched, I set out a number of propositions, like "I want distant cells on earth connecting and communicating with each other organically," "there should be object-oriented ideas,"" -- Ken Kutaragi

So no, a PS2 on steroids wasn't the thing Kutaragi was chasing when he realized the CELL Broadband Engine. He was in pursuit of an architecture that would fundamentally change computing in hopes of changing the digital landscape on a global scale. It was his hope since the '80s (the decade Chua and Lang submitted their paper on cellular neural networks to the IEEE) and PS3 was the vessel he literally put his hope in...

EET: Then the Cell processor was conceived for gaming? -- EETimes
Kutaragi: No, it is for computing but I wanted to change the concept of computers. The name of our company is Sony Computer Entertainment; I wanted to merge computer technology and entertainment. It may be regarded as game applications for the time being, but I wanted to realize the day when “computer entertainment” would mean all such entertainment applications, including games"... "The PS1 and PS2 were based on computer technology, but they were still transitional. At the next stage, I hoped to tackle computer technology from the start. I have harbored that hope since the 1980s." -- Ken Kutaragi

"Though sold as a game console, what will in fact enter the home is a Cell-based computer." -- Ken Kutaragi

ken-kutaragi-ken-kutaragi-executive-deputy-l.jpg

cell-computing-l.jpg

entertainment-is-the-key-application-l.jpg

To partially reiterate and end, Kutaragi's ultimate goal with the CELL Broadband Engine (not to be reached until around year 2026/27 by my estimate)...

was to birth a neural network-based AI for the creation, management and distribution of music, movies, games and other digital content from/to any location in the world upon request (be it verbal or non-verbal) using a variety of devices...

"The model image for the Cell-based network may be the Internet: Servers around the world form one virtual “computer,” and each PC accesses it. One Cell or cluster of Cells can also function as a server; but whereas the present Internet mainly handles characters, applications on the Cell network will also handle semantics and reasoning." -- Ken Kutaragi

kaigai006.jpg

home-tomorrow-l.jpg

home-tomorrow-1-l.jpg

I feel your anguish bro! Only if Sony stuck with CELL we may have been seeing some really incredible stuff this generation that would have been closer to next gen being shown now! Tho Sony's 1st party Devs learnt to master the SPU's, Sony would have been left far behind on third party games and likely not survived the market. So had no choice to go the x86 route to survive, shame!

Realistically x86 ISA is on its way out, I believe there's s good chance Sony will go ARM with PS6. They're not just for low power mobiles anymore, they're getting deeper pipelines bigger caches and heavier SIMD vector instructions. Apple are making the most powerful commercially used ARMs which they're confident to eventually replace the Intel X86 used in their desktops. And ARMs are used for the world's most powerful supercomputer!
I don't think it's the end of road for CELL tho, I believe there will be a big revival. The world was not ready for the exotic nature of the CELL architecture back then, it was too ahead of its time!

Sony are reintroducing SPU's in the PS5 , which can be used for other tasks more than 3D audio, whatever the developers wish cos it sure is a lot more efficient at massively parallel powerful general work that GPU streaming processors have difficulty with. (The GFLOPS are almost identical to the original CELL, I suspect they might be leaving it open for PS3 BC??)

I believe there's a good chance we could see an almagamation of SPUs and ARMs for next gen of CELL processors, first truly next gen processors that will have the best of both CPU's and GPU's (not APU's which are tightly integrated discrete CPU and GPU), the realization of Ken Kutargi's dream! This could be the heart of the PS6?! It could interpret X86 instructions on the fly for BC if they can get around the shitty Intel legalities

... Yeah I know I'm dreaming a bit, but hey how fast tech is moving it could be a possibility

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Does anybody here even trust this guy? Like even 5%?
I mean he practically substain geometry engine could be a RDNA3 feature that's why he defines ps5 RDNA3 (partially). A bit simplistic and strechted but it's not that completely foolish to believe.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I think I'll have to call shenanigans on our Twitter "insider" Robert Serrano. I see his latest tweet says the event is September 7th.

Really? They'll confirm something randomly on a holiday weekend and go on Tuesday? I don't buy that. I saw the ol' "things change" disclaimer in there also.

lol but seriously. Sony said they are not opening pre-orders on a moment’s notice. So that UK retailer can relax.

Indeed. I dont expect them to be sprung on us at all. My friend and former coworker at GameStop for many years who is still there believes they'll know in advance(conference call, a weekly payroll increase or marketing stuff). He'll warn me and I'll warn you guys subsequenly if it happens that way.

splattered

After Nvidia announced the prices and performance for those cards... a PS5 at 599 or more is stupid.
If they can't get the price down to 500 at least, there is no point.

If they charge us $599 for the console is it more "elegance" or "arrogance" and can Sony fans even tell the difference anymore?

I'm willing to pay up to $599 for each console if i HAVE to, but i don't want to... especially after the NVIDIA card reveals.

It took me 15 minutes to digest. Where the fuck did these marketting guys get their degree from?

My guess is that it's probably not really their fault. Microsoft and Sony probably told them how to handle the design of the boxes. Microsoft clearly wanted to push the cross gen look which is why you have this kind of labeling especially after Activision didn't want to adopt smart delivery. It's why with other games it's alot less confusing like with Farcry 6 for example.

Far-Cry-6

Last edited:
My guess is that it's probably not really their fault. Microsoft and Sony probably told them how to handle the design of the boxes. Microsoft clearly wanted to push the cross gen look which is why you have this kind of labeling especially after Activision didn't want to adopt smart delivery. It's why with other games it's alot less confusing like with Farcry for example.
I do mean Microsoft not Activision. The information on the cover is dictated by platform holder. Activision only put the art and title of their game.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem sircaw sircaw Bryank75 Bryank75 do you think Sony might wait until October to start talking PS5 again, by talking I am referring to another event where you see in depth gameplay demos, UI reveal, price and pre order info and probably a couple of unannounced titles gets revealed and then November the console launches. Or do you think Sony already has an event edited out and ready to be aired the moment Microsoft reveals Series S and pricing for Series S and X?

Bryank75

Banned
You’re assuming they’re going for the same market. They’re not.
A portion is... as I've said before I could change to pc at any time.

There are many like me, even if it's between 1 to 5 million sales of consoles...that is a huge amount of revenue because they are high spending customers.
They will never make up for that by bringing anything to PC. Horizon sales were pathetic and all the other spending of these people will go to Steam or EGS.

I think there is a huge amount of arrogance behind the idea that they can get away with putting anything on PC and not suffer negative consequences.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem sircaw sircaw Bryank75 Bryank75 do you think Sony might wait until October to start talking PS5 again, by talking I am referring to another event where you see in depth gameplay demos, UI reveal, price and pre order info and probably a couple of unannounced titles gets revealed and then November the console launches. Or do you think Sony already has an event edited out and ready to be aired the moment Microsoft reveals Series S and pricing for Series S and X?

Honestly they can have an event for the hardware and save the price announcement for another.

Bryank75

Banned
I think they have everything ready to go and are just waiting on XBox. The only thing they have is two different prices for each SKU.... depending on the XBox prices.

It's counter-intuitive and I could be way off but I think the closer we get to launch without a price, the more likely the console is cheaper than we think. So if we get an announcement before Xbox, then I will be more worried that it's 600.

Or do you think Sony already has an event edited out and ready to be aired the moment Microsoft reveals Series S and pricing for Series S and X?

I wasn't tagged in this, but I'm a firm believer they have it ready to go the minute Microsoft caves and goes for their even, but I was told "that's not how marketing works", which I concede I'm a layman on that.

They could also choose to go on their own, which I I think they might as well, but they also seem very keen to avoid *any* Halo-style disappointments and have everything 100% committed, produced and secured before they speak.

However, I don't think the general rules of marketing apply or have applied to this generation so far.

It's been a void of no information with very small tidbits. Wherein by this time in any generation before, we'd already know most everything and have our preorders in long ago.

There are many like me, even if it's between 1 to 5 million sales of consoles...that is a huge amount of revenue because they are high spending customers.
They will never make up for that by bringing anything to PC. Horizon sales were pathetic and all the other spending of these people will go to Steam or EGS.

I think there is a huge amount of arrogance behind the idea that they can get away with putting anything on PC and not suffer negative consequences.
1 to 5M of consoles is 1 to 4% of the total number of consoles the PS5 will sell. They would not make up the billions of loss revenue from cutting the price of the PS5 by $100.
And if $600 is too expensive for some people, I don’t see those people spending $2000 on a gaming PC.

Last edited:
I reached a point where I don't care of what they show. At the end I need to play Spider-Man, God of War and Horizon in the upcoming 6 years 🤣. Price, power, and features won't make a difference 🤣.
If I am not satisfied with graphics and performance, I might upgrade my PC for the few good 3rd party games that release once every 10 years.

Shmunter

Don’t be so glass half empty. The gfx on console will be eye melting.

Bryank75

Banned
1 to 5M of consoles is 1 to 4% of the total number of consoles the PS5 will sell. If $600 is too expensive for some people, I don’t see those people spending $2000 on a gaming PC.
It's a consideration, since that will cover a 3070 and is almost enough for a 3080.

I wouldn't take my customers for granted like that.

I reached a point where I don't care of what they show. At the end I need to play Spider-Man, God of War and Horizon in the upcoming 6 years 🤣. Price, power, and features won't make a difference 🤣.
If I am not satisfied with graphics and performance, I might upgrade my PC for the few good 3rd party games that release once every 10 years.

unfortunately PC gaming is not an option for me as to where I am right now in life. The console will once again be my only way to get lost in the immersive stories and worlds on PlayStation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom