• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

I think Microsoft wants to price Series X at $600. They just don't want to say it first.
Sony will match that price and Sony think they have a better value (games) and thus more demand at same price.
Microsoft has the Series S planned to be around $200 less than the X.
Sony will offer the PS5 digital for $100 less than PS5 to undercut the X and to make S look overpriced.
Sony will not say price until Xbox does.
Xbox has to announce soon or risk pushing launch into 2021.

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

I think the consoles will be $600 this time because they are basically launching "Pro" models at the beginning of the generation. The current gen Pro and X models skewed perspectives on the minimum needed for a "next gen" leap and so they both went for expensive but powerful new consoles. All tech prices have risen over the last 5 years, and I think both companies are betting on demand staying high at higher than expected prices.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I think Microsoft wants to price Series X at $600. They just don't want to say it first.
Sony will match that price and Sony think they have a better value (games) and thus more demand at same price.
Sony will offer the PS5 digital for $100 less than PS5 to undercut the X and to make S look overpriced.

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

I think the consoles will be $600 this time because they are basically launching "Pro" models at the beginning of the generation. The current gen Pro and X models skewed perspectives on the minimum needed for a "next gen" leap and so they both went for expensive but powerful new consoles. All tech prices have risen over the last 5 years, and I think both companies are betting on demand staying high at higher than expected prices.
I don't know about that.
According to the BOM of the PS5 and considering PSN prints money now, I think Sony could afford to sell PS5 at 499 and that would be a wise decision.

kyliethicc

I don't know about that.
According to the BOM of the PS5 and considering PSN prints money now, I think Sony could afford to sell PS5 at 499 and that would be a wise decision.
I agree they could, but I think they'd prefer to match Xbox price. If Series X is $500, Sony will match. Hence why they're gonna wait. I think they'd love to wait and either match or undercut, but I suspect both consoles will be expensive.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I agree they could, but I think they'd prefer to match Xbox price. If Series X is $500, Sony will match. Hence why they're gonna wait. I think they'd love to wait and either match or undercut, but I suspect both consoles will be expensive.
Costing a hundred bucks less was really helpful last time around :)

mejin

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

There is no smooth transition with those prices.

Sony is only "waiting" if MS will be more aggresive than their PS5 at $500 and DE at $400 cause all things point to Sony being ready to the launch imo.

They have the games so they won't need to do any price cuts to PS5 soon, but the starting price point can't be $600.

Et3rn1ty

Neo Member
Since this is a speculation thread i have a theory for the so called retail prices and the lack of information....
No one (again in this forum i dont know why...) has realised this is not a game of sony and microsoft only.
Its nvidia against amd..
These are billions played under the table..
Amd is in a position that can hit hard nvidia and gain share just like sony did to nintendo back in the days...
Rdna 2 has alot of tricks that we dont know and will be shared only when they know a lot of ampere architecture...
Also the pricing of the new gpus of amd can play a big role to the pricing of ps5 and xbox series x...
I dont know if sony can push so lately amd to better deals and i want your opinion to this matter...
(I am from greece so sorry for my english....)

It was. Agreed.

If what you said is true then the PS5 DE would be 100$ less then the PS5 Disk version and 200$ less than the XSX. While price matching the XSS at 399$.

I don't think that's going to happen because it would be a disaster for Microsoft. They will price match the XSX with the PS5 disk version and make sure the XSS is cheaper than the PS5 DE.

SaucyJack

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

Disagree.

I'm feeling $499 for PS5 and they must know Xbox has a higher BOM. They want MS to go rather than price match their 499.

Ryan Smith confirming what I had stated earlier: RTXIO uses software running on the GPU to do the decompression (within the Streaming Multiprocessor). There isn't dedicated HW decompression like PS5 and XSX.

Won't that waste Gpu cycles to do decompression since it's running in an SM? And won't that eat up performance?
Man, i was really hoping Nvidia would use the Tensor Cores to do Compression/Decompression workloads as i thought it made a lot of sense, guess i was wrong. It would've been a great way to utilise the Tensor Cores though.

Delpij

I think Sony is making a PS5 event on Dec. 10th to release the console on the 11.

That's the only explanation for what they're doing.

I think so too.

The most important part of the “french leak” is not the price, it’s the fact that their contact told them that both next gen consoles would be respectively delayed to mid/end November (XSX) and early December (PS5).

THE:MILKMAN

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

I just can't see how they justify such increases in pricing and IMO the specs we know about with the consoles are both pretty conservative with most the innovations contained with the same size or smaller APU dies. A lot of the parts/tech are copy/paste for the second time in some cases! Like I mentioned before in 2013 the low volume/high margin GTX 780 was $649 with 3GB of the same spec/speed as PS4 RAM where it had 8GB. Today we get the $699 RTX 3080 with 10GB of cutting edge and vastly faster 19Gbps GDDR6X RAM as well as the other massive boosts in performance.

These consoles are smartly designed to a price. A price based on 10's of millions of volume. I think I will upgrade my PC if these consoles come in >£500.

geordiemp

I just can't see how they justify such increases in pricing and IMO the specs we know about with the consoles are both pretty conservative with most the innovations contained with the same size or smaller APU dies. A lot of the parts/tech are copy/paste for the second time in some cases! Like I mentioned before in 2013 the low volume/high margin GTX 780 was $649 with 3GB of the same spec/speed as PS4 RAM where it had 8GB. Today we get the $699 RTX 3080 with 10GB of cutting edge and vastly faster 19Gbps GDDR6X RAM as well as the other massive boosts in performance.

These consoles are smartly designed to a price. A price based on 10's of millions of volume. I think I will upgrade my PC if these consoles come in >£500.

You cannot compare Samsung, which is subsidised and Nvidia will be paying less for a different node which consimes more power, and TSMC pricing.

Consoles cant have 650 watt power supplies in a small box. AMD parts will also be advantageous for laptops.

sircaw

Banned

This is why there are so slow to give information to the public.

Also dealergaming kinda got called out today by Nxgamer about spreading misinformation about PS5 smart-shift.

If only the great Dealer worried about his beloved xbox as much as he does the ps5.

Week after week, he has to throw shade at it, Sad pathetic fool.

Another lame arsehole that loves to criticize the ps5 and its exclusives but is buying it day one to boot.

When are people following these turkeys ever going to learn what these guys are about?

You cannot compare Samsung, which is subsidised and Nvidia will be paying less for a different node which consimes more power, and TSMC pricing.

Consoles cant have 650 watt power supplies in a small box. AMD parts will also be advantageous for laptops.

I'm not comparing them directly, Geordie. Just that relative specs are much lower in key areas for these new consoles comparing to the GPUs but console prices most are expecting are way up. Yet high profit, low volume GPUs prices have risen slightly or stayed the same. Everyone talks about inflation, exchange rates and the unbelievable specs of the consoles to justify $600 and I don't get it.

It just doesn't add up or make any sense to me given the totality of the info we have at this point.

I'm not comparing them directly, Geordie. Just that relative specs are much lower in key areas for these new consoles comparing to the GPUs but console prices most are expecting are way up. Yet high profit, low volume GPUs prices have risen slightly or stayed the same. Everyone talks about inflation, exchange rates and the unbelievable specs of the consoles to justify $600 and I don't get it.

It just doesn't add up or make any sense to me given the totality of the info we have at this point.

Compared to current PCs(which is kind of silly)

CPUs are much better now than then.
GPUs are good, better than last gen when compared to what AMD have released so far
Memory amount jump is lower than last gen
SSDs are superior vs what last gen had

So next gen consoles have better specs than what last gen offered vs what typical gaming pc had back then

There is even less point to compare to intel/nvidia parts as they SUCK on console world, by either price, power consumption or form factor.

So specs are much HIGHER, not lower, in key areas compared to how things were 2013.

Last edited:

geordiemp

The rumour I read (not mine) is Samsung gave a special deal to Nvidia, cost per good chip rather than per wafer otherwise they would not be on a samsung node and have such pricing.

So all we can do is compare TSMC pricing....and consoles dont have a choice they need lower power. Same for laptops, servers and only home pC market can get away with such high wattages.#

Also memory prices are high, and consoles have 16 GB and SSDs, the 500 buck Nvidia card has much less total memory to consider.

Last edited:
I don't know about the prices, but I don't agree that they are launching "pro models", or that mid-gen boosted refreshes won't arrive.
Just because this gen we are at the starting line with more competent machines than last gen, that doesn't mean that technology won't keep progressing.

xacto

Still...

5JCDwAp.jpg

GPUs are good, better than last gen when compared to what AMD have released so far

So next gen consoles have better specs than what last gen offered vs what typical gaming pc had back then

There is even less point to compare to intel/nvidia parts as they SUCK on console world, by either price, power consumption or form factor.

So specs are much HIGHER, not lower, in key areas compared to how things were 2013.

I think you and many others are missing the word 'relative'. I'm comparing the relative in time differences in spec and price of PS4/GTX 780 and 3080/PS5.

I see nothing that makes me believe $600 is in any way a possibility for PS5/XSX unless things have gone wrong worse than with PS3.

The rumour I read (not mine) is Samsung gave a special deal to Nvidia, cost per good chip rather than per wafer otherwise they would not be on a samsung node and have such pricing.

So all we can do is compare TSMC pricing....and consoles dont have a choice they need lower power. Same for laptops, servers and only home pC market can get away with such high wattages.#

Also memory prices are high, and consoles have 16 GB and SSDs, the 500 buck Nvidia card has much less total memory to consider.

Yeah it was MLiD that talked about such a Samsung/NVIDIA deal wasn't it? Even if true I doubt it would necessarily mean Sony/AMD's cost for TSMC wafers are astronomical and I assume given the volumes the costs are fine. I don't doubt some parts like RAM, overall SSD cost vs HDD and per die costs have increased but I think that slide at Microsoft's Hot Chips event was more talking about their mitigation of the costs and not to mention the small matter of the APU being used in Azure servers (even if XSX fails).

I will just reiterate again the console chips are the same size or smaller, RAM is only up 2X vs 16X, these consoles seem smartly designed to mitigate rising costs, many parts copied over from this gen. On RAM PS4 had 175% of the same RAM as 780 in 2013 and now PS5 will have 60% more of far less spec RAM.

Plus crucially no exotic or cutting edge stuff. 7nm is extremely mature now too. Have to say though I'm starting get tetchy and irate about this whole waiting game Sony and MS are conducting.

Mahavastu

CPU+GPU are in the SoC, which is about the same size for the XBox and smaller for the PS5 compared to their 2013 counter parts. The price is a bit higher because of the new manufacturing process, but not that much higher to justify utopic prices.

We had 3 shrinks since 2013, which means the manufacturing costs of the 16GB RAM should be like 25% of what the 8GB cost in 2013. Even if Sony/Xbox can only negotiate a 50% discount it would be quite substantial saving

The SSD in the PS5 is IMHO very price optimized and should not be that much more expensive then a 500GB notebook HDD in 2013.

I personally do not see why some here expect a $600 price point for the PS5.

the average customer wont care much. For them it is "yet another gaming console". If the price is too high, they won't sell "good enough"
Sony wants to sell quite some more units then in 2013. They won't be able to do that with a $599 price point.

Just had a crazy idea.....

Imagine if Sony and Microsoft did a "launch" edition console at $600 then a month or two later a "sane consumer" edition at $399?

How would that go down? We all know Bo will just throw a suitcase of money at them in contempt but what about everyone else?

Sounds completely insane but I ain't ruling anything out at this point.

kyliethicc

I don't know about the prices, but I don't agree that they are launching "pro models", or that mid-gen boosted refreshes won't arrive.
Just because this gen we are at the starting line with more competent machines than last gen, that doesn't mean that technology won't keep progressing.
The point I was making is PS2 was 480, PS3 was 720, PS4 was 1080, so PS5 should be 1st to do 2160. But PS4 Pro already did 4k and so that shifted expectations, while PS5 will even be capable of 8K output. Its as if the PS4 launched with HDMI 2.0 and 4k output support.

Both companies could have just held back from any 4K aupport until next gen and launched 4-6 TF consoles for $400 in 2020 and then launched the consoles we are getting at 10-12 TF in 2023, or even 2026+.

The mid-gen refreshes of 2016-17 has shifted the power, pricing, and expectations of generations. HDMI 2.1 and 8K output are basically the "Pro" features like the PS4 Pro could do 4K. They could have held that back for a PS5 Pro in 2023.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Just had a crazy idea.....

Imagine if Sony and Microsoft did a "launch" edition console at $600 then a month or two later a "sane consumer" edition at $399?

How would that go down? We all know Bo will just throw a suitcase of money at them in contempt but what about everyone else?

Sounds completely insane but I ain't ruling anything out at this point.

I cant remember early adopters being stung on price, it was mainly you got a few free games coming in late in bundles.

If you buy day 1 it always costs more

kyliethicc

There is no smooth transition with those prices.

Sony is only "waiting" if MS will be more aggresive than their PS5 at $500 and DE at $400 cause all things point to Sony being ready to the launch imo.

They have the games so they won't need to do any price cuts to PS5 soon, but the starting price point can't be $600.

“I think the best way that we can address [the challenges of releasing a new console in a pandemic recession] is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can,” Ryan said. “I don’t necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games… all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”

Jim Ryan on PS5. That doesn't sound like its gonna be cheap. Only way I think Sony does $500 and $400 is if the XSX and XSS are $500 and $300.

I honestly don't see $599 for either console, even still. Microsoft doesn't have the software to back it up(and Sony, depending on what really is a launch DAY title)and Sony wants to avoid a PS3 debacle as much as possible.

It is a very precarious world to be talking of price, particularly if it is exorbitant. The recession doesn't show signs of quick abatement.

I admit my interest is waning, so I hope they talk soon. I know folks are saying to dismiss Sept. 9th by this juncture, but I wouldn't be so certain of anything.

It's pretty well established(from various factors that all add up) at this point the systems are launching Nov. 6th and Nov. 13th, respectively.

Extrapolating from that and considering a holiday weekend, that puts XSX less than TWO months before it is presumably hitting the shelves with a lot more info needed, including the reveal of its little sister Series S *still* kept in the dark thus far. An entire console hasn't even been shown yet.

Sony is in a similar boat if they continue to wait on Microsoft, albeit both their versions have been revealed.

Quite a weird time for next gen.

hemo memo

Gold Member
“I think the best way that we can address [the challenges of releasing a new console in a pandemic recession] is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can,” Ryan said. “I don’t necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games… all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”

Jim Ryan on PS5. That doesn't sound like its gonna be cheap. Only way I think Sony does $500 and $400 is if the XSX and XSS are $500 and $300.

Do we know if they started the direct pre-order process? Did anyone get an email?

The point I was making is PS2 was 480, PS3 was 720, PS4 was 1080, so PS5 should be 1st to do 2160. But PS4 Pro already did 4k and so that shifted expectations, while PS5 will even be capable of 8K output. Its as if the PS4 launched with HDMI 2.0 and 4k output support.

Both companies could have just held back from any 4K aupport until next gen and launched 4-6 TF consoles for $400 in 2020 and then launched the consoles we are getting at 10-12 TF in 2023, or even 2026+.

The mid-gen refreshes of 2016-17 has shifted the power, pricing, and expectations of generations. HDMI 2.1 and 8K output are basically the "Pro" features like the PS4 Pro could do 4K. They could have held that back for a PS5 Pro in 2023.
Listen, judging only by the very best that playstation first party has to offer, and the most current ones as well, ps4 pro never "did" 4k
-TLOU2 is 1440p, less than 50% of 4K, and at 30 fps that, and
-Ghost of tsushima uses a checkerboard in order to reach 70% of 4k, while if you want a solid 30fps on that it goes to 1080p

let 4k@60fps be a target for this gen and its refreshes, and forget the 8k mumbo-jumbo
dont forget that we also want games to become more complex, free from the jaguar-joke cpu they were chained to.

DeepSpace5D

Final guess
$600 Xbox Series X
$600 PS5
$500 PS5 DE
$400 Xbox Series S

It could be that next-gen is this expensive, but I keep thinking back to how Shuhei said releasing the PS3 at $599 was a mistake. Others at Sony said it was their “Icarus” moment; they flew too close to the sun with that pricing and they learned their mistakes from it. Granted, you have to adjust for inflation somewhat with today’s times, but I still somehow doubt Sony have made another $600 console, a $200 increase over what the launch PS4 was.

I feel like that $399 sweet spot is still very important for Sony and I can see that being the reason why they made the Digital version, to reach that price point. The regular PS5 will probably be $100 more but I think $499 is the highest they’ll go.

Vaztu

I was wondering if anybody knew if Ali Salehi said anything about PS5 smartshift because i wasn't here when that was happening.

kyliethicc

It could be that next-gen is this expensive, but I keep thinking back to how Shuhei said releasing the PS3 at $599 was a mistake. Others at Sony said it was their “Icarus” moment; they flew too close to the sun with that pricing and they learned their mistakes from it. Granted, you have to adjust for inflation somewhat with today’s times, but I still somehow doubt Sony have made another $600 console, a $200 increase over what the launch PS4 was.

I feel like that $399 sweet spot is still very important for Sony and I can see that being the reason why they made the Digital version, to reach that price point. The regular PS5 will probably be $100 more but I think $499 is the highest they’ll go.
Remember that $599 in 2006 is $779 today. And the Xbox 360 was $399.

Sony would have to launch the PS5 at $799 while the XSX was $599 to repeat such a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom