• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Question: Will the series X and/or S be in limited quantity and hard to get if you don’t preorder like I’ve heard is the case for the ps5?

HAL-01

¿Is this confirmed?

REAX5YQ.jpg
Makes perfect sense. the series S is missing memory, and is only about as powerful (of not a little bit less) than the One X. Last gen games could look better in the series s via a next gen patch, but not through BC mode

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That’s infinity ward, remedy, and now Id software. I’m pretty sure this console will be relayed to a 1080p machine a couple years into the gen. True next gen engines and features will make that box suffer
Because they've all been paid by sony ....
**Puts his tinfoil hat and his conspiracy hat**
They are paid by their studios, that are paid by their publishers, that make money from games they sell.... On playstation, hence sony has paid every devs that said a good thing about ps5 and everybody that said a bad thing about Xbox...

It's either that or the series S may bottleneck and the ps5 is a great hardware but that seems a bit too far fetched.

Another highly credible theory is that Sony created the Covid to make Halo look bad because the covid originated from Asia and what a coincidence Sony is an asia company.....They have to be connected in some way.

kyliethicc

It's how they managed to get the price so low among other things. Something had to give.
But they should have just spent the money to give it 12 GB of RAM, unified 336 GB/s bandwidth with a 192 bit bus.

Its 1 more chip of ram and 2 more memory controllers on the die. They probably could have just ate the extra cost, its like less than $30 for that.
(Or just launch it at $350 and cut the price 6 months in.)

Then it'd have 9.5 usable for games. Almost 2x the One S & PS4. And a bit more than the One X.

DaGwaphics

I automatically assume that all console launches result in shortages. Even the Wii U and DreamCast sold out (I think Jaguar did too, if I'm remembering correctly). The differentiator is how many weeks before stock is readily available, if you're golden by week two there's a problem.

But they should have just spent the money to give it 12 GB of RAM, unified 336 GB/s bandwidth with a 192 bit bus.

Its 1 more chip of ram and 2 more memory controllers on the die. They probably could have just ate the extra cost, its like less than $30 for that.

Then it'd have 9.5 usable for games. Almost 2x the One S & PS4. And a bit more than the One X.

I find it hard to believe that MS did not go around to developers and actually get feedback on what they thought but it's actually seeming that way.

I guess they wanted to keep a split ram configuration for some odd reason.

kyliethicc

If they could have done something better at the same cost they would have.
They could have done something better for a slightly higher cost. They should have.

Jason Schrier said devs told him the Lockhart has significantly less memory and was an issue.

Turns out he was telling the truth. Devs from Infinity Ward, Remedy, and now Id, all are disappointed by the S.

Makes me wonder how many more are just not saying it publicly.

¿Is this confirmed?

REAX5YQ.jpg
BIG uffff

Also the way John from DF describes how MS employees first revealed the Series S like it was not a big deal (as if) like taking it out of a literal handbag and casually placing it on the table for their "one last thing" just says to me that they really REALLY made it their priority to make the box look small and seem as if it can even fit inside handbags etc. and they spent considerable resources on it, BUT trying to make it look like casual thing for a reveal.

The reveal videos show Series S fitting inside Series X etc. as its marketing the size as if anyone here considers moving a non-handheld console around in our bags... I mean if you have 2+ TVs you are most likely plugging both with a different console already, and if you consider moving to friends etc. Series S is the same price as Switch but it really is not handheld or anything so your friend would at least have it, no?

Why does it really matter how small a console is as long as it doesn't actually have a screen on it and in actual handheld size? A device that you plug into your TV and inherently needs TVs doesn't need to be the most small, IMO waste of R&D that could have been spent elsewhere.

RaZoR No1

Does the XSS CPU have more power to allocate for physics etc. because it doesn't have to handle the bigger data, textures etc. XSX has to handle for 4K?
Or is this kind of a bottleneck or situation now history due to the new I/O features?

I mean it is the same CPU (?) but it doesn't have to feed the GPU as much as XSX has to.

Last edited:
They could have done something better for a slightly higher cost. They should have.

Jason Schrier said devs told him the Lockhart has significantly less memory and was an issue.

Turns out he was telling the truth. Devs from Infinity Ward, Remedy, and now Id, all are disappointed by the S.

Makes me wonder how many more are just not saying it publicly.

They would have to eat the cost if they did something better. I'm guessing they definitely didn't want to do that.

kyliethicc

i am pretty sure you are confusing it with paid sponsorship

please show me a game review from lets say IGN mentioning they got a free copy
Thats a good point, I'm not sure. The youtubers I watch all seem to say it before reviews and mention they have to be ause of the FTC. Idk.

kyliethicc

They have to keep split to keep it inline with windows,Direct X ,easy porting to windows. Probably a long standing request from devs.
No lol that makes no sense. Its a console.

Xbox One X has a unified bandwidth of 326 GB/s. 12 GB GDDR5 @ 6.8 Gbps, 384 bit bus. No issue porting to PC there.

The Series X could have just had 20 GB @ 14 Gbps, same 320 bit bus, and had unified 560 GB/s bandwidth.
Cost too much.

The Series S could have just had 12 GB @ 14 Gbps, a 192 bit bus, and had unified 336 GB/s bandwidth.
Cost too much.

T-Cake

What if there’s some technical wizardry going on that can make the Xbone X memory addresses map to the reduced XSS memory? After all MS completely bypassed the ESRAM in the Xbone with the Xbone S.

No lol that makes no sense. Its a console.

Xbox One X has a unified bandwidth of 326 GB/s. 12 GB GDDR5 @ 6.8 Gbps, 384 bit bus. No issue porting to PC there.

The Series X could have just had 20 GB @ 14 Gbps, same 320 bit bus, and had unified 560 GB/s bandwidth.
Cost too much.

The Series S could have just had 12 GB @ 14 Gbps, a 192 bit bus, and had unified 336 GB/s bandwidth.
Cost too much.

Word!!! I stand corrected. So this series S.......is just a fuck up. These guys are stuck in 2013.

ethomaz

Banned
What if there’s some technical wizardry going on that can make the Xbone X memory addresses map to the reduced XSS memory? After all MS completely bypassed the ESRAM in the Xbone with the Xbone S.
It is not just memory... GPU is inferior too.

Xbox One S uses the same APU with eSRAM as original Xbox One.
Only Xbox One X doesn't have eSRAM.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Honestly, I was interested in the idea of the Series S initially, but seeing a...
- Technical Producer at Remedy
- Multiplayer Designer at Infinity Ward
- Lead Engine Programmer at Id Software
all express concerns, I have "discontinued in three years" alarms going off in my head. If not, then third-parties will probably target 1080p on the thing instead of 1440p because it might not be worth the effort to tweak things precisely. Just cut the number of rendered pixels down and ship it out.

There's a reason a lot of graphically intense third-party games have straight-up ignored the Switch for the last three and a half years.

T-Cake

It is not just memory... GPU is inferior too.

Xbox One S uses the same APU with eSRAM as original Xbox One.
Only Xbox One X doesn't have eSRAM.

Yes, pardon me. But the Xbone X can still run Xbone games flawlessly so there is something going on. Maybe the Velocity Architecture helps somehow. Or maybe it really is Xbone S game versions only.

I automatically assume that all console launches result in shortages. Even the Wii U and DreamCast sold out (I think Jaguar did too, if I'm remembering correctly). The differentiator is how many weeks before stock is readily available, if you're golden by week two there's a problem.

Depends of the country / area.

I started to hunt ps4 on launch, all stores were sold out, had to check all EU amazon stores until I found one in amazon France after 1-2 weeks I think. And it took at least 2-3 months before they were widely available in My area

Wiiu were sold out locally

Switch never sold out in many cities or online, which is weird as it were sold out in many other countries

Xboxs havent sold out ever here I think

I assume that ps5 is even more difficult to find than ps4

Sw0pDiller

Waiting 5 months to dive into the specs with a GDC talk with fake audience on screen, then waiting 3 months to reveal the console form factor and some games and then waiting another 3 months (and counting) to talk about the rest of relevant info like the price, release date, launch lineup, UI, etc.
Well to be honest, all everybody was talking about was ps5 ps5 ps5 for the last three months. Everybody forgot the silence they had with all the hype ms tried to build up with those slick xbox series x videos. But they messed up bad with games and sony just had to be silent and see ms fall over their own feet. They do it again right now. Ms falls over their own "tower of power" message and still is showing no games. Sony just need to wait this out. Give ms this couple of weeks in the spotlight and then completely control the narrative again with hardware, price and games announcements.

The big difference between Ms and sony us that Microsoft follows sony and tries to steal their thunder with tweets and interviews. Sony just needs to.follow their own path. Ms showed already that having the cheapest (xbox one s digital) and the most powerful (xbox one x) console does not make it the most populair. You need games and good games at that. Stuff that sony has and will have it the time to come. They just need to make sure they are not extremely more expensive. Something they (cerny) already said was a big focus when developing ps5.

xacto

Well to be honest, all everybody was talking about was ps5 ps5 ps5 for the last three months. Everybody forgot the silence they had with all the hype ms tried to build up with those slick xbox series x videos. But they messed up bad with games and sony just had to be silent and see ms fall over their own feet. They do it again right now. Ms falls over their own "tower of power" message and still is showing no games. Sony just need to wait this out. Give ms this couple of weeks in the spotlight and then completely control the narrative again with hardware, price and games announcements.

The big difference between Ms and sony us that Microsoft follows sony and tries to steal their thunder with tweets and interviews. Sony just needs to.follow their own path. Ms showed already that having the cheapest (xbox one s digital) and the most powerful (xbox one x) console does not make it the most populair. You need games and good games at that. Stuff that sony has and will have it the time to come. They just need to make sure they are not extremely more expensive. Something they (cerny) already said was a big focus when developing ps5.

Sony looking at Microsoft is almost like assisted suicide.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, pardon me. But the Xbone X can still run Xbone games flawlessly so there is something going on. Maybe the Velocity Architecture helps somehow. Or maybe it really is Xbone S game versions only.
There is no Velocity Architecture in Xbox One X.
It can "by pass" eSRAM because its memory is way faster.

Xbox One Series X can run Xbox One X games.
Xbox One Series S can run Xbox One S games.

Xbox One Series S can't run Xbox One X games.

That is all.

Last edited:
Because they've all been paid by sony ....
**Puts his tinfoil hat and his conspiracy hat**
They are paid by their studios, that are paid by their publishers, that make money from games they sell.... On playstation, hence sony has paid every devs that said a good thing about ps5 and everybody that said a bad thing about Xbox...

It's either that or the series S may bottleneck and the ps5 is a great hardware but that seems a bit too far fetched.

Another highly credible theory is that Sony created the Covid to make Halo look bad because the covid originated from Asia and what a coincidence Sony is an asia company.....They have to be connected in some way.
It's actually true. Everyone knows id Software is a Sony 1st party. Bethesda, the whole Zenimax is Sony 1st party. People should stop listening to these 1st party devs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You need to check your data.

NA population 580 million.
Europe 741 million.

He’s right to say US and Canada is about 400 million. North America includes everything north of Columbia & Venezuela... the Caribbean, Mexico, etc.

Edit: beaten to it by others quicker than me 🤪

Last edited:
Honestly, I was interested in the idea of the Series S initially, but seeing a...
- Technical Producer at Remedy
- Multiplayer Designer at Infinity Ward
- Lead Engine Programmer at Id Software
all express concerns, I have "discontinued in three years" alarms going off in my head. If not, then third-parties will probably target 1080p on the thing instead of 1440p because it might not be worth the effort to tweak things precisely. Just cut the number of rendered pixels down and ship it out.

There's a reason a lot of graphically intense third-party games have straight-up ignored the Switch for the last three and a half years.
It doesn't matter if it will be discontinued in three years, the moment it was leaked it held back the whole generation.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People should listen less to the devs, and pay more attention to the likes of Digital Foundry and IGN. Got it.

It’s starting to approach cult like behaviour at this point. Anyone who disagrees with the Microsoft marketing line is completely wrong, no matter who they are.

I like my Playstation, but I can accept when they’re fucking things up.

It doesn't matter if it will be discontinued in three years, the moment it was leaked it held back the whole generation.

In a couple of years the comparison between third party and first is going to be horrific.

Last edited:
Whoa... This is coming from a Lead Engine Programmer @ id Software, one of the best studios in the industry at optimizing the shit out of their engine. I get the impression that PS5, like PS4, is again going to be the easiest console to develop for. SX and SS split memory banks seem like it's going to cause some hindrance.

I don't know why they keep splitting memory like that. Surely there would be better options to cut costs on the Series S than to make it have such a memory set-up Xbox will be stuck with the entire 7-8 yr gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
IF this is true ..how is it suppose to play next gen games at 1440P or stable frame with all these bottlenecks. This shit looking goofy.
1440p for next gen 4k series x games is simply impossible.

you would need 6 tflops to run the same game at 1440p, and around half of the vram bandwidth so 280 gbps. it has neither.

you will get somewhere around 1080p-1200p for next gen games. current gen games should run at 1440p though. thats what the pro runs at most of the time. this thing has a much better cpu so it should be able to double the framerate of most Pro games as long as they dont hit the vram bandwidth bottleneck.

its basically a weaker 5500m which is a 4.6 tflops gpu. you can look at the benchmarks for it. its basically a 1080p GPU.

Last edited:
I don't know why they keep splitting memory like that. Surely there would be better options to cut costs on the Series S than to make it have such a memory set-up Xbox will be stuck with the entire 7-8 yr gen
I'm a little surprised at the split memory decisions from Microsoft. Wasn't the biggest request from developers for the PS4 (source: Road to PS4) unified memory for the CPU and GPU. I assume for the purposes of the XSS, the 2GB will be reserved for the OS and the 8GB will be for games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom