• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Moose

So you can Play Horizon Forbidden West with a DS4 on PS5..... in Backwards comparability.

Same game with better graphics and they say no.
Didn't you say almost the same thing already?
So I can use it on Spider-Man Miles Morales on PS5 if I play a version that looks worse and plays the same? That's some big brain shit.

I won't be getting the PS4 version, seems pointless getting it at the same time as the PS5 versions release.

They apparently took down the demon souls trailer likely to remove PC.

giphy.gif

TheAssist

"Buy our new consoles we don't have any games but you know, 4K !!!"

also

"We'll charge $70 now for the suckers that buy the digital version"

Final Fantasy 16
Ratchet and Clank
Demon Souls Remake
Spiderman
God of War
Deathloop
Kena
Horizon Forbidden West
Destruction All Stars
Little big Planet thingy
BUGSNAX
Ghost Wire Tokyo, God Fall
Gran Turismo 7
Little Devil Inside
Quantum Error
Returnal
Stray

Probably within the next 12 months for most of these games, except maybe FF16

yeah, they are looking pretty good right about now. demon Souls going to PC on day one is not surprising at all. i called it months ago. I knew herman hurst was lying because i had found a similar tweet of Phil denying other xbox games would come to PC when he first announced Gears 5. They all lie.

I was cancelled here for saying this. I was told it would take 3-4 years before sony ported their games to PC. sure.....

Im buying an rtx 3080 tomorrow. Fuck this gen. Fuck this hobby too. 7 years, 7 years they had to prepare and they couldnt make next gen games. this basically means this gen would be 9-10 years long. thanks but no thanks. time to move on and find another hobby. that 3080 is gonna be held back by these bizarre ps4 games anyway.
I'm pretty much on the same boat with the exception of waiting for RNDA2 benchmarks before committing. Content-wise, the PS5 show was pretty solid. But I don't appreciate the sneaky-sneaky stuff Sony is doing. It doesn't matter how much better Sony markets the PS5 than Microsoft marketing the XSX. That's such a low bar anyways and the PS5 doesn't offer enough unique value proposition that makes me want to get one immediately.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

whats the point of a 8 core 16 thread CPU when you are going to be limited by a 8 core single thread CPU running at 1.6 ghz?
Whats the point of shoving an SSD down our throat for 30 miserable minutes in March when you are going to be limited by a 20 MBps SSD anyway?
Whats the point of making us buy a $500 console when i can play the same shit on my PS4?

John is right. There is no fucking point.

saintjules

I called a random Gamestop store within my radius. They said they don't know if they will be the selected Retailer to take pre-orders. I'm sure they'll know later tonight.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So Sony is basically saying we believe in generations of hardware, but the next gen games don't start til a year or two later.

Greedy and bad for pushing hardware.

Genuinely reconsidering my pre-order at the moment. If everything’s either going to Ps4 or PC, why do I need a Ps5 again?

Same argument as Xbox Series X now.

Might do a bit of research on best gaming pcs...

Looks like. I’m sat here thinking about it, and I can’t even be angry. They just played us all like fiddles.

Both companies are pretty much doing the same thing. We’ve all been arguing over nothing.

giphy.gif
So hopefully, HOPEFULLY, that can stop now that we establish both Sony and MS are shit right now when it comes to next gen.

I predict the real battle with next gen will be when next gen ONLY titles show up in a year or two. I think then the battle will heat up.

Mr Moose

Horizon, at least the cinematics they showed, is fucking gorgeous...

Who gives a shit if it's on PS4?

Same with Spiderman.

Talented teams can scale games... and for the most part games are just gonna keep being the same games we are playing with better graphics and load times..ya'll need to get over it lol
I agree, they'll still look great but... Imagine if they weren't held back by the PS4 :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Back to your conjecture and certain narrative.

I never once said I knew that was happening I was just pointing out you were mistaken (again) and was driving a certain agenda
Ok, let us try to be SERIOUS for a moment here....!

All this time, after sony came with the strong and bold "commitments", there must have been written at least 1000 pages here in this topic alone.
And you have the nerve to tell me about "CONJECTURES"?

All great in price,

- Good Headset price
- Good games at launch
- But HZ2 cross-gen in 2021, that killed all my hype...

Headset price is ok, but 80€ for games IS A JOKE.

80€ is 94,5$ usd.

Sold copies on launch will drop, even current 60-70€ is too much for many.

I almost never pay full price and this turns it into never.

Getting 100 physicals/gen like im used to would cost 8000€, madness. Almost 10000$

Ok, let us try to be SERIOUS for a moment here....!

All this time, after sony came with the strong and bold "commitments", there must have been written at least 1000 pages here in this topic alone.
And you have the nerve to tell me about "CONJECTURES"?

I know you enjoy poking people and thinking you are upsetting them which you probably achieve in some cases.

Honestly with me its a futile attempt with this kind of narrative.

Have a good one man

3liteDragon

From their blog post:

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

Sounds like cross-gen support at least MIGHT stop late 2021 with God of War: Ragnarok (Please Sony lol). Also the wording on cross-gen games is interesting cause you can’t tell whether these games were built from the ground up for PS5 and then optimized for PS4 or vice-versa. Still waiting to see how HFW and GOWR gameplay look on PS5 before saying anything else though, cause Jim Ryan and PlayStation are looking hella sketch rn.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I agree, they'll still look great but... Imagine if they weren't held back by the PS4 :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I think some of you are going to be sorely disappointed when there isn't a massive difference between what Sony is able to do with cross-gen and what they can do with true next-gen.

Obviously there will be differences... but you guys are expecting too much IMO.

Sony with cross-gen will probably murder 3rd party next-gen for most of the generation I'd bet.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Cinematics are not really held back by other versions, unless it's such a drastic jump you can't even run the same engine or assets in the same ballpark. There is no dynamic design to account for. You don't have to think "if I write the AI this way for the PS5 version, it won't run on a PS4 and that will mess up the whole game as a consequence". For the cinematics you just scale back assets for the PS4 version until it can keep pace with the scene without melting.

Audiophile

Sorry, but cross-gen Miles Morales & especially Forbidden West has delayed my purchase til next year. Sony said they believe in generations and a clean break; they've reneged on that as far as I'm concerned. How can they traverse the gap between 1.6Ghz Jaguar <> 3.5GHz Zen2 & HDD <> Ultra High Speed SSD/IO while offering experiences truly impossible elsewhere? They either hold the PS5 version back in terms of the fundamentals or they build two very [functionally] different versions of the game.

A big selling point/differentiator of PS5 was a clean break & doing what you couldn't before. It's not that I don't want PS4 players to be in on the action, but I don't see how you can do anything but water down your product with this approach; which ultimately hurts everyone. PS4's had a good run.

I've always loved the PlayStation platform and I hate to sound like a grumpy bastard, but I'll likely buy PS5 later next year when there's hopefully a full next-gen 1P title to play (God Of War?!). Cross-gen upscales like Spidey & Horizon will be eBay purchases; when I get round to getting a PS5, as I'd still prefer to play the upscaled versions.

PS4 Pro is getting sold when I'm done with Season 6 of MW. Looks like I'll be having a year off gaming.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think some of you are going to be sorely disappointed when there isn't a massive difference between what Sony is able to do with cross-gen and what they can do with true next-gen.

Obviously there will be differences... but you guys are expecting too much IMO.
Yup. Anything that takes advantage of the new SSDs in the next gen machines and uses the CPUs without being trapped by weak sauce ancient HDDs/CPUs is going to be the biggest upgrade.

PSX

Most people arguing over PC and PS4 cross or whatever, Obviously it will play better on PS5. ports are horrible everyone knows nothing is new.
instead of arguing enjoy the moment it won't last, and play video games at the end get busy :messenger_winking_tongue:

Montauk

Well I guess the reason for the games being cross gen is that the engines are still modified current gen engines. They are basically scaled up to work on PS5/series X and within a few years when new engines are coded that take full advantage of the systems they will drop the cross gen stuff.

We will see what dev can take the most advantage of next gen systems while also delivering a decent current gen port. I guess Sony studios have it a little easier with "coding closer to the metal" and having a stronger base to start with

That and wanting to sell games to an install base of 110 million PS4 owners.

Surely people understood both of these obvious realities going into this?

If there was a typo and that pc release mention in the demon’s souls trailer was meant to be for a different trailer, then perhaps Sony should apologize for making such an amateur mistake. Being a typo might actually be the case the way I see it. Hopefully, that’s how it is.
It’s clearly an error they made because it makes no sense by saying it’s exclusive AND going PC. Called it from the start.

kyliethicc

Genuinely reconsidering my pre-order at the moment. If everything’s either going to Ps4 or PC, why do I need a Ps5 again?

Same argument as Xbox Series X now.

Might do a bit of research on best gaming pcs...
I hate PCs so its no option for me. You couldn't pay me to play a PC. Windows is dogshit. Macbooks are fine for normal life. Not gaming.

I'm just not sold on a needing a PS5 this fall. Reminds me of 2013. I got my PS4 in summer 2014 and I may just patiently wait out the craziness this holiday, pick up my PS5 next summer when there's stock and God of War 2 and GT7 are coming soon.

My 3 biggest anticipated PS5 games were GT7, GOW2, and HFW. Now Horizon is no hype, and so it looks like the must have games aren't coming til 2021 for me. Thankfully I still have The Last of Us Part II to beat on Grounded, and so many more.

So hopefully, HOPEFULLY, that can stop now that we establish both Sony and MS are shit right now when it comes to next gen.

I predict the real battle with next gen will be when next gen ONLY titles show up in a year or two. I think then the battle will heat up.
Yes, everyone thought their approaches were pretty much the opposite but in the end it seems they're taking the same route. But it seems Sony was really focused in delivering a LOT of games in the first year, which is not the case for the competition. Now I really think the rumors that a lot of these games were in development for PS4 are true.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It's an internal expansion bay, although I'm really curious about where it is located.

I think this is the expansion bay? on the side/bottom. That rectangle above the vent.

My guess is the only supported drives will be "naked" M.2 2280 form factor. I imagine a caddy sled will slide out and you'll put the drive in, slide it back inside and the PS5 will have built-in heatsink around it. Whether on the sled or inside the console. Sorta like how the PS4 HDD works now.

I assume it has to be just a plain M.2 drive with no extra heatsink or fan to keep it small and fit inside. 22mm x 80mm is the most common used form factor on PC.

ZCJzTqy.png

Last edited:

TheAssist

Well, I just preordered my PS5 DE at Saturn Germany.

First time preordering a console. I always waited at least 2 years. But this time its so i can further delay the new PC which will be quite expensive since I have to upgrade everything. And at 399 I'm cheaper than the GPU alone and have plenty left for some games which right know is more important to me than a bit more raytracing at triple the price.

GreyHand23

I think the writing was on the wall. DF was shocked that everything was running in native 4k at the last event and I'm guessing that's because these are all cross gen games and R&C is a very early PS5 game. I imagine the true PS5 exclusives coming further in the future will be a lower resolution and upscaled using ML or other methods and really go all out with graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom