• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the difference between MS and Sony.

MS talks about what the Series X can do and posts specs and numbers and figures.

Sony lets the games do the talking.

In the end, people can mock the fact that Sony baptizes its own VRS as 'Geometry Engine', but gameplay trailers and in-engine screenshots don't lie. We've seen the Unreal demo. We've seen Dark Souls. We've seen what the PS5 can do, and we are not concerned about the quality of the console in the slightest.

Series X so far has shown an indie game running on it and BC games upscaled. Oh, and a pc-running Halo Infinite gameplay video and screenshots that look like shit.

If I was MS, I would be less inclined to talk about VRS, 25TFs, memory born out of thin air and crap like that, and actually SHOW some damn next-gen gameplay. Just to know what the damn thing can ACTUALLY do.

The best part about all of the buzzwords (XVA, SFS, DirectML, VRS, Mesh shading) is that they’re not exclusive in any way to the hardware.

I guess MS saw how rabid fans were over DX12 and tiled resources that they decided to name every single API feature for the XSX/S.

DaGwaphics

Unless people intend to play a lot of games at the same time, I don't see this game swapping between SSD and external HDD as a problem.

Hopefully the systems support updates and the whole nine on the archived games, that way you are always ready to go (pending the copy, LOL).

The best part about all of the buzzwords (XVA, SFS, DirectML, VRS, Mesh shading) is that they’re not exclusive in any way to the hardware.

I guess MS saw how rabid fans were over DX12 and tiled resources that they decided to name every single API feature for the XSX/S.
Pretty much. And yet we still have people thinking PS5 doesn't have VRS despite stuff like this.
5miureft2sr41.jpg

This is the difference between MS and Sony.

MS talks about what the Series X can do and posts specs and numbers and figures.

Sony lets the games do the talking.

In the end, people can mock the fact that Sony baptizes its own VRS as 'Geometry Engine', but gameplay trailers and in-engine screenshots don't lie. We've seen the Unreal demo. We've seen Dark Souls. We've seen what the PS5 can do, and we are not concerned about the quality of the console in the slightest.

Series X so far has shown an indie game running on it and BC games upscaled. Oh, and a pc-running Halo Infinite gameplay video and screenshots that look like shit.

If I was MS, I would be less inclined to talk about VRS, 25TFs, memory born out of thin air and crap like that, and actually SHOW some damn next-gen gameplay. Just to know what the damn thing can ACTUALLY do.

You never answered to me if sircaw was telling the truth or not...

Anyway, this is the beginning of a console generation. Microsoft is laying their plans down for everyone to see and judge.
About games, you must have learned that they have been buying a bunch of -now first party- studios, and that they feed them with loads of money.
They also are pushing brand new tools -like I described above- for simultaneous development/deployment on all platforms, old-gen next-gen and pc.
If microsoft fails at something, is at their advertising for this particular space that is videogames. Rule here is you need to push hype and imagination.
Microsoft marketing approach is more business-like approach. Personally, I much prefer it this way. I would think that given the stats I read about median age of paying customers in videogames, more people would think like me.
I am sure games will be shown before release.
Just don't expect the surrounding over-hype that sony does.

To give you an example of what I mean, you are asking for "next-gen gameplay" while what you've been impressed with from sony is a cross-gen spiderman (that plays 100% like last-gen spiderman) and a pre-previous gen remake (no comment).

You can bet your ass though that come November, hype or no hype, what microsoft says about their h/w and its advantages will materialize in the games that you will be able to buy.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Jeez, that sweet sweet clickbait money.

"Minimum" has been standard language for storage spaces on PlayStation games since PS3. It's just they way it's phrased, there is no need for quotation marks as if it means something shady or strange.

Motorst1.jpg

I'm pretty sure "minimum" was even in the PS2 memory card space requirements. So it's not like it has been around for 20 years or something and a gaming journalist should have read it at least once or twice in their lifetime. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Good point, I didn't consider the DLCs. So is the PS5 versions actually SMALLER than on PS4? :messenger_neutral:

I mean, unless Insomniac did some optimization fuckery by installing most of the world map only once for both games, it doesn't look like there is much room for error: Miles Morales is 50 GB on its own, and both games are 105 GB, so it looks like Spider-Man is 55. And it does make sense for them to have a similar size, most of the data would be the world map anyway, and that's very similar for both; scripts, audio files, cinematics, unique enemy models etc. would make a miniscule difference, even if Miles Morales has half or one third of the "content", since the map is in both and that's most of the space.
Don't forget compression is better now(Kraken), and the game is probably avoiding asset redundancy since it's supposed to use the SSD.

Everyone is forgetting the next big game to be announced for the PS5. Its coming soon, here's my three pieces of information on it:

1.) "Hey."

2.)"You."

3.) "You're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border,right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as the rest of us."

Everyone is forgetting the next big game to be announced for the PS5. Its coming soon, here's my three pieces of information on it:

1.) "Hey."

2.)"You."

3.) "You're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border,right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as the rest of us."

God no not Skyrim again.......

Edit: Or is that Morrowind?

NVM it's skyrim.

Last edited:

HAL-01

I wonder when Sony will show off the console UI, changes to PS Now, etc. We also still need to see next-gen trailers of Madden, NBA, Avengers, etc.

Lots of information still to come and only a short while left to do it. I would think Sony will at least talk UI before the end of September.
We’ll probably see some more from them around TGS. Xbox also has a show programmed on the 24th. I can’t wait to see the PS5 patches for TLOU2 and ghosts, alongside doom eternal

You never answered to me if sircaw was telling the truth or not...

Anyway, this is the beginning of a console generation. Microsoft is laying their plans down for everyone to see and judge.
About games, you must have learned that they have been buying a bunch of -now first party- studios, and that they feed them with loads of money.
They also are pushing brand new tools -like I described above- for simultaneous development/deployment on all platforms, old-gen next-gen and pc.
If microsoft fails at something, is at their advertising for this particular space that is videogames. Rule here is you need to push hype and imagination.
Microsoft marketing approach is more business-like approach. Personally, I much prefer it this way. I would think that given the stats I read about median age of paying customers in videogames, more people would think like me.
I am sure games will be shown before release.
Just don't expect the surrounding over-hype that sony does.

To give you an example of what I mean, you are asking for "next-gen gameplay" while what you've been impressed with from sony is a cross-gen spiderman (that plays 100% like last-gen spiderman) and a pre-previous gen remake (no comment).

You can bet your ass though that come November, hype or no hype, what microsoft says about their h/w and its advantages will materialize in the games that you will be able to buy.
I'm sure the real-world GPU advantages this guy evangelizes will be far beyond what we've seen from even the PS4 and Xbox One. People will look upon PS5 with disgust once Digital Foundry exposes the truth.

Anyway, careful drinking all that Kool-Aid kids. That's how you develop diabetes.

do u think sony will do anything in monday to slow down xbox preorder hype ??

Right now all they need to do is focus on getting their own preorders back out there and making up for this situation. I think thats the best thing they can do.

Maybe confirm Ratchet is also a launch title or something. But really the aforementioned is of utmost importance.

kyliethicc

Will a save game place my character in the exact same position/situation I left the game before suspending? It's still needed.
Well suspending and resuming 1 game sure. But multiple games? Useless, just save and quit. Waste of SSD space. For every game suspended, the SSD would have 13 GB less space. So thats 13 for 1 game, then 26, 39, and it could really add up.

Suspending 1 game when the console goes into rest mode is great, same as PS4. After that, no need. Plus it doesn't even work with multiplayer games. And I would never want to jump back and forth quickly from 2-3 singleplayer games. For every singleplayer game I play, I'm going to play just that 1 game for at least 30 mins or hours, then save and quit if/before I start another one.

HAL-01

Hey, man. I owe you and several other X-Box biased fans an apology for rightly being distrustful of trailers of Horizon 2 and other PS5 titles. The shot of Alloy under the sea could now just as well be a cutscene and not gameplay, because I seriously doubt that the PS4 can pull off such a thing (and there's no way that the two versions will be radically different other than higher res and better textures).
I don't understand this sudden belief that the game won't look like the trailer on PS5 because its crossgen. World geometry doesnt suddenly look dramatically different in a cutscene. The world Will look like that, and on the PS4 it will be at a lower LOD, with cut down lighting, cut down particle density (schools of fish), and cut down volumetric cloud/physics simulation effects. You can trust out of all things guerrilla isn't gonna flounder on the visuals.

mitchman

Gold Member
Well suspending and resuming 1 game sure. But multiple games? Useless, just save and quit. Waste of SSD space. For every game suspended, the SSD would have 13 GB less space. So thats 13 for 1 game, then 26, 39, and it could really add up.
Nah, you don't need to write all assets in memory to disk, just need to write the state of the game and which assets were loaded. The assets can be loaded again really quickly with the fast SSD in PS5. So 2-3GB max per game, not a problem.

kyliethicc

Nah, you don't need to write all assets in memory to disk, just need to write the state of the game and which assets were loaded. The assets can be loaded again really quickly with the fast SSD in PS5. So 2-3GB max per game, not a problem.
Digital Foundry has already said it saves the entire RAM cache to the SSD. So 13.5 GB per game max for XSX, and 9 GB for Xbox One X games.

"When you leave a game, system RAM is cached off to SSD and when you access another title, its cache is then restored. From the perspective of the game itself, it has no real idea what is happening in the background - it simply thinks that the user has pressed the guide button and the game can resume as per normal.

We saw Xbox Series X hardware cycling between Forza Motorsport 7 running in 4K60 Xbox One X mode, State of Decay 2, Hellblade and The Cave (an Xbox 360 title). Switching between Xbox One X games running on Series X, there was around 6.5 seconds delay switching from game to game - which is pretty impressive. Microsoft wasn't sharing the actual size of the SSD cache used for Quick Resume, but saying that the feature supports a minimum of three Series X games. Bearing in mind the 13.5GB available to titles, that's a notional maximum of around 40GB of SSD space, but assuming that the Velocity Architecture has hardware compression features as well as decompression, the actual footprint may be smaller. Regardless, titles that use less memory - like the games we saw demonstrated - should have a lower footprint, allowing more to be cached."

Last edited:
Digital Foundry has already said it saves the entire RAM cache to the SSD. So 13.5 GB per game max for XSX, and 9 GB for Xbox One X games.

"When you leave a game, system RAM is cached off to SSD and when you access another title, its cache is then restored. From the perspective of the game itself, it has no real idea what is happening in the background - it simply thinks that the user has pressed the guide button and the game can resume as per normal.

We saw Xbox Series X hardware cycling between Forza Motorsport 7 running in 4K60 Xbox One X mode, State of Decay 2, Hellblade and The Cave (an Xbox 360 title). Switching between Xbox One X games running on Series X, there was around 6.5 seconds delay switching from game to game - which is pretty impressive. Microsoft wasn't sharing the actual size of the SSD cache used for Quick Resume, but saying that the feature supports a minimum of three Series X games. Bearing in mind the 13.5GB available to titles, that's a notional maximum of around 40GB of SSD space, but assuming that the Velocity Architecture has hardware compression features as well as decompression, the actual footprint may be smaller. Regardless, titles that use less memory - like the games we saw demonstrated - should have a lower footprint, allowing more to be cached."

no. They are guessing. They don’t really know how it works :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
don't mix and match. we don't really know what ms will do with gold yet, and everyone that needs to resub for a year can very easily buy a prepaid 12month card.

The thing here is, sony dictates that IF I want to play the enhanced version of spiderman that I already have bought,
I need to pay them 80euros (=$95)
and for me, a paying customer for both microsoft and sony, this sure gets me very pissed.

Even sony sweetalker dark1x is openly talking about it, but still in his kissing-up to sony way:

I really hope someone puts some sense into sony, and do it soon!

Don't mix enhancements with remastered. Enhancements are pretty easy to do, remastered is much more work, especially for a 2 years old game. I don't work for free, and you don't work for free, so don't expect others to do so. Enhancements are already there with the PS5 boost mode.

Last edited:
Don't mix enhancements with remastered. Enhancements are pretty easy to do, remastered is much more work, especially for a 2 years old game. I don't work for free, and you don't work for free, so don't expect others to do so. Enhancements are already there with the PS5 boost mode.
Bo, that's a discussion dark1x is having about ...SPIDERMAN. what "remasters" are you talking about? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
He is also pissed like all of us who already have bought spiderman, that sony wants us to re-pay for it for the enhanced ps5 version.

for him, who is low-key and sony sweet talker, this comment is like being the gladiator in the arena having slayed 150 lions :messenger_beaming: :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Dolomite

825 is closer to 1000 than 500, so PS5 will likely have more than 82%, but less than 87%.
So PS5 will have around 85% usable, 700 GB.
Your guess of 650 free space would be 78% of the SSD, thats far more than Sony PS OS uses.

XSX will have around 775 usable, XSS will have around 360 usable.
Because the XSX/S OS will also need some storage reserved for quick resume saves

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom