• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s performance. But devs will solve it, I think:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

To be honest, based on what I have seen so far, PS5 clearly has better RT capability, which puzzles me a lot. I do believe PS5’s RT may be a special customization.

On paper the XSX should have better RT performance due to the extra CUs that it has. If it isn't doing that then there's an issue elsewhere that's making RT a problem. Again back to my theory on how there's something off with the dev kits.

ZehDon

... What I do know is that the layer has to be thick in order for it to work for both PC and Xbox. They are basically treating Xbox as PC now.
They've been treating Xbox as PC since the OG Xbox. Xbox is a contraction of Direct X Box - because it was a standalone piece of PC-style hardware powered by Microsoft's DirectX API and a derivative of the NT Kernel.

For the Xbox Series X, Direct X 12 Ultimate is employed. One of the big shifts for DX12 in general, but U specifically, is optional low-level access to the hardware, and a focus on pure efficiency. Funnily enough, this was done in response to Mantle and other APIs which were offering developers much greater flexibility in the PC space, though restricted to AMD's cards in Mantle's case. Mantle, Vulkan - these appear to have lit a fire under Microsoft's ass. For the Xbone, DX11.x was used, which was nice but bloated, and didn't offer the same optional low-level access as DX12 - its more in line with Sony's GNMX, the higher-level access layer on PS4. Comparisons for DX12 have been made to GNM, which is the low-level access layer on the PS4, but with the added benefit that DX12 is cross-vendor compatible: it works on any hardware that supports DX12, meaning optimisations for the XSX|S platforms can be carried over to the PC platform, and vice versa.

It’s performance. But devs will solve it, I think:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

To be honest, based on what I have seen so far, PS5 clearly has better RT capability, which puzzles me a lot. I do believe PS5’s RT may be a special customization.
We still don't know a lot of the guts inside the PS5. I do believe they've done something to ray-tracing capabilities, but I don't think it will match Series X at the end of the day. More compute units do have an impact. What I'm mostly curious about in relation to the PS5 is the impact of the custom cache scrubbers and coherency engine. Also what has been done with the geometry engine and possible tweaks to ray-tracing. I think it's obvious, at the end of the day, the Series X GPU has the advantage due to it being wider, but I find the efficiencies built into the PS5 more interesting.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You seem to have literally no understanding of what an M.2 SSD is.

And everything I said about the storage is correct.

Xbox One has either 73% or 78% of total storage as usable space after the OS, 73% for 500 GB and 78% for 1 TB.

Xbox Series X will have the same OS, plus another 40 GB reserved just for quick resume. The One X 1 TB has 780 GB usable after OS. 780-40=720.

780-40=740. Somebody had to do it. Keep in mind that a full Windows 10 installation can be squeezed onto a 32GB drive. The new OS might be a little smaller on the SSD.

On paper the XSX should have better RT performance due to the extra CUs that it has. If it isn't doing that then there's an issue elsewhere that's making RT a problem. Again back to my theory on how there's something off with the dev kits.
Extra CU doesn’t automatically translate to better RT. Xbx CU runs at a much lower frequency. Besides not all CUs can RT at the same time. The number of intersections xbx can do in a real workload is going to be very interesting. Among all things, I’m mostly interested to see some real and well optimized xbx RT demos. Minecraft demo actually proved my point.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Bumped into this a while back, some interesting stuff, maybe related to how the PS5 APU functions. Can’t seem to find the orignal tweet, he may have deleted it.

KRdUr4U.jpg

We still don't know a lot of the guts inside the PS5. I do believe they've done something to ray-tracing capabilities, but I don't think it will match Series X at the end of the day. More compute units do have an impact. What I'm mostly curious about in relation to the PS5 is the impact of the custom cache scrubbers and coherency engine. Also what has been done with the geometry engine and possible tweaks to ray-tracing. I think it's obvious, at the end of the day, the Series X GPU has the advantage due to it being wider, but I find the efficiencies built into the PS5 more interesting.
maybe in 5 years or so. I don’t know. It’s too distant. This is very similar to the old debate between core duo 2 and q6600. games performed better on duo2 initially due to higher frequency but q6600 eventually took over. the thing is, after three years, no one would care. RTX6080 may run 8k/120 with RT. :messenger_beaming:

maybe in 5 years or so. I don’t know. It’s too distant. This is very similar to the old debate between core duo 2 and q6600. games performed better on duo2 initially due to higher frequency but q6600 eventually took over. the thing is, after three years, no one would care. RTX6080 may run 8k/120 with RT. :messenger_beaming:
I'll be interested in upgrading my PC once Nvidia or AMD brings multi-chip-moduals and 3D stacking to their GPU. That's when performance will get nuts. Looking forward to RDNA3 and Hopper.

Lysandros

Even if specific customizations are out of the equation, RT performance is also tied to clock frequency. XSX can theoreticaly cast 18% more rays but PS5 can generate 20% more bounces. So i can't see XSX having a clear advantage there.

Bumped into this a while back, some interesting stuff, maybe related to how the PS5 APU functions. Can’t seem to find the orignal tweet, he may have deleted it.

KRdUr4U.jpg
I think this is getting well into the nda scope. Haha, at the end of the day, we will simply enjoy the system performance that we thought was impossible.

Let me be straight. I absolutely did not expect I could see 4K/60 RT games running on ps5 with the geometry density like DS based on specs on paper. I was totally surprised pleasantly.

saintjules

Anyone here actually used Xbox AA? I'm trying to anticipate how many steps it will take from at start, to getting approved and then actually selecting the Console. Gonna be a race against time I feel.

kyliethicc

780-40=740. Somebody had to do it. Keep in mind that a full Windows 10 installation can be squeezed onto a 32GB drive. The new OS might be a little smaller on the SSD.
True I made a typo. What I said though is still true. Doesn't change the facts about Xbox bloated OS.

The Xbox One 1 TB has 780 usable. Quick Resume will reserve at least 40 GB.

So the PS5 will likely have around 700 GB of free space, while XSX will have around 740 GB.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is getting well into the nda scope. Haha, at the end of the day, we will simply enjoy the system performance that we thought was impossible.

Let me be straight. I absolutely did not expect I could see 4K/60 RT games running on ps5 with the geometry density like DS based on specs on paper. I was totally surprised pleasantly.
Anyone else think Matt is quietly speaking about the PS5? Sony NDA no joke.
I think he is talking about the Cache Scrubbers in the second part.
Yes, definitely seem's like he's indirectly speaking about the PS5's APU. If so, the first tweet discussing the latency of the caches falls in line with what RGT leaked about the PS5's CPU having unified CCX clusters (Zen 3) which helps to reduce latency in caches significantly.

The second and third tweet seem like obvious reference to the GPU cache scrubbers that Mark Cerny discussed. In essence I think the PS5 APU philosophy can be summed up as "work smarter not harder".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... Tim dog and fam shared the tweet like never before... that's why the number is so different from the other dozens of similar tweets where the PS5 wins 65-75%
I am not a poll expert but I dont think ANY dog can manipulate a 40k sample. especially in twitter its one vote per account, so he could have retweeted 1.000 times and it would make very little difference.
Had this dog have such power, he would do something else with his time.

jose4gg

I am not a poll expert but I dont think ANY dog can manipulate a 40k sample. especially in twitter its one vote per account, so he could have retweeted 1.000 times and it would make very little difference.
Had this dog have such power, he would do something else with his time.

I said, Tim Dog and fam, read carefully, they basically spent the entire evening telling their thousands of followers to vote... and we do know they don't have any followers that like PS5 over XSX...

But hey, let me know if you want me to share some other polls with "77K" and "50k" of responses where my initial statement is true... PS5 always wind 65-75% ...

Neo Blaster

you'll want to use the USB-A ports on the back for external drives. They're also 10 Gbps and will look better having the cables running into the back of the console. Unless of course the drive needs a USB-C port.
Talking about the front ports, can you charge faster using the USB-C port or there's no difference at all?

I said, Tim Dog and fam, read carefully, they basically spent the entire evening telling their thousands of followers to vote... and we do know they don't have any followers that like PS5 over XSX...

But hey, let me know if you want me to share some other polls with "77K" and "50k" of responses where my initial statement is true... PS5 always wind 65-75% ...
sure, share them, why not?

kyliethicc

Talking about the front ports, can you charge faster using the USB-C port or there's no difference at all?
I don't think so because Sony said the USB-C port on the controller is 5 Gbps, same as the USB-A port on the front of the console.

So using the USB-C port on the front to charge might be faster, but I think the controller port would also need to be 10 Gbps. But I could be wrong, not sure.

It’s like said weeks earlier. With the new dev API GDK. PC’s running the GDK are having a problem emulating features for Xbox Series X. Which include ray tracing. Then on top of that with some devs learning to master the many layers of Velocity Architecture is why you haven’t seen a lot of game running or seen the performance difference on Xbox series X games.

Which leads to a joke I have heard 3rd party devs joke about with Xbox Series X game development. This is a joke as far as I know and not true. That the Halo Infinite Gameplay was captured on Xbox Series S gameplay profile settings on dev PC, because Xbox Series X build was unstable and it was up scaled to 4K. That’s why it looked bad. The Joke is Microsoft First Party is having problems with GDK and Xbox Series X feature sets being emulated on PC.

Though I hear recent updates to GDK API have been amazing and Devs seem to be bragging about recent updates for the GDK for Xbox Series X. Remember this is second and third and so on.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The Linneman poll is 57% PS, 43% Xbox across 48,000 pollers. In order to get a 70/30 split for PS you'd need another 13% shifting out of Xbox.

Grabbing MS Excel.....

Linneman poll
PS57%27,360
Xbox43%20,640
Total voters100%48,000

To get to a 70/30 split for PS where you minus off bogus Timdog Xbox votes, you'd have to subtract around 9,000 Xbox votes
PS70%27,360
Xbox30%11,726
Total voters100%39,086

LiquidRex

Are the Xbox Series X bottlenecks preventing the console reaching 12.1 tflops. 🤔
Is the split RAM an issue 🤔

Also why haven't we seen the suspend and resume feature demonstrated on the PS5 🤔

Last edited:
It’s like said weeks earlier. With the new dev API GDK. PC’s running the GDK are having a problem emulating features for Xbox Series X. Which include ray tracing. Then on top of that with some devs learning to master the many layers of Velocity Architecture is why you haven’t seen a lot of game running or seen the performance difference on Xbox series X games.

Which leads to a joke I have heard 3rd party devs joke about with Xbox Series X game development. This is a joke as far as I know and not true. That the Halo Infinite Gameplay was captured on Xbox Series S gameplay profile settings on dev PC, because Xbox Series X build was unstable and it was up scaled to 4K. That’s why it looked bad. The Joke is Microsoft First Party is having problems with GDK and Xbox Series X feature sets being emulated on PC.

Though I hear recent updates to GDK API have been amazing and Devs seem to be bragging about recent updates for the GDK for Xbox Series X. Remember this is second and third and so on.
does it mean we will see actual xbx gameplay soon? Really looking forward to it.

3liteDragon

I know the Series X has more compute units, but what's the real world difference gonna be? 18%? What's that gonna equate to in terms of increased resolution or effects? Someone remind me again the real world difference between PS4 and Xbox One.
The one advantage I can think of right now are particle effects. Theoretically, the Series X should be able pull off some insane particle effects since those do scale well with more CUs/parallel processing. But then again, Cerny talked about how the primitive shaders feature from their custom GE should be able to deal with something like particle effects much more efficiently without consuming too much GPU power. Will we see a big difference in these areas between the XSX and the PS5? We gotta wait until we see some AAA third-party games running on both consoles side-by-side.

Another question I have though is, knowing that the Series X has 52 active CUs with 4 disabled, how many of those CUs are actually being used in parallel and how many are just idle on a per-frame basis?

Last edited:

The polls are pointless. The actual sales will tell.

does it mean we will see actual xbx gameplay soon? Really looking forward to it.
There is a few games with in the last month running on Xbox Series X hardware. Dirt 5 and Medium. There are more getting up and running better on Xbox Series X. Launch games should be fine. Halo Infinite and Forza was supposed to be launch titles or launch window titles but where delayed because of these issues.

The issues was There was more Dev PC’s running GDK API then actually Debug Consoles. Debug consoles shipped out later then Sony’s PS5 Debug Consoles. Then Covid happened. Slow development down and slowed more debug consoles from getting out faster. So some studios was using Dev PC’s to try emulate Xbox series X features and settings. PC’s was not doing a good job of emulating Xbox Series X. Usually in development You have Dev PC’s hooked up to debug consoles. Makes it easier when trying to use the consoles custom feature sets in development.

That has changed over the last month or two. As also the GDK dev kit has gotten better also.

ZehDon

Sorry for the time, I did not have this things saved, I know there are a couple of more, but some of them don't include XSS so I'm not posting them, however, I could post them because at the end of the day that one is the last selected in each poll...

Unless I'm mistaken, aren't these timed on or prior to the PS5 price reveal and the latest showcase, where several games were revealed to be also coming to the PS4, while JL's poll is after the showcase? Could be totally wrong on the times, though.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
The one advantage I can think of rn are particle effects. Theoretically, the Series X should be able pull off some insane particle effects since those do scale well with more CUs/parallel processing. But then again, Cerny talked about how the primitive shaders feature from their custom GE should be able to deal with something like particle effects much more efficiently without consuming too much GPU power. Will we see a big difference in these areas between the XSX and the PS5? We gotta wait until we see some AAA third-party games running on both consoles side-by-side.

Another question I have though is, knowing that the Series X has 52 active CUs with 4 disabled, how many of those CUs are actually being used in parallel and how many are just idle on a per-frame basis?
I was actually surprised and not so surprised by the particle effects in the Demon Soul's and Spiderman Miles Morales gameplay, they look beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom