• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its crazy people want to splash out all that cash just to see an extra few blades of grass, that's if the game developers even decide to bother with that console, they might just put all their effort in the most popular console instead.

The dual sense is a true next-generation experience, people are going to miss out on one of the best innovations.. WHY.

Madness.

I paid around 900 dolars (Brazilian version) of Ps5 with Disc Just to play astrobot and feel the Magic with haptics cause I have no money for games.

Ask this clown right here If I am happy with my purchase.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Its crazy people want to splash out all that cash just to see an extra few blades of grass, that's if the game developers even decide to bother with that console, they might just put all their effort in the most popular console instead.

The dual sense is a true next-generation experience, people are going to miss out on one of the best innovations.. WHY.

Madness.

Growing up, starting with NES, I loved playing my favorite sport, Baseball. When those games started showing my team in a proper representation of the stadium they played in, I needed to own the game that did that best and most realistic. For the past eternity, that’s been a Sony console. To see the next graphical leap towards playing in the place I love that much, I’d pay up every time.

While that may wins up being on Xbox this upcoming or next gen won’t be the point for anyone that wants to change my narrative.. I’ll play for those extra blades of grass, Ray traced glints of summer sun off the wall and seat surfaces, ... etc. I’ll never be a ball player, but the closer I get to it virtually, the more I’m willing to pay.

Nickolaidas

i am sorry, but official xbox statement was that Halo was build up from ground up to series x.
And that's horseshit, like the one saying that Horizon 2 is made from the ground up for PS5.

Look, I'm not whiteknighting MS, both Horizon 2 and Halo Infinite will suffer from the decision to go cross-gen. I'm just saying that aside from the fact that Halo Infinite is cross-gen, it also most definitely has development issues because of 343i and not because of the X Series X.

Darklor01

Maybe there is a distinct PS5 version vs. a multi-gen Xbox version which would then detect which console type you’re playing on and download the update because it isn’t on the base version copies or code.

If this is the case, it makes sense, and people are either not thinking it through or are spreading FUD.

bitbydeath

It's PushSquare. Reading this was like reading PureXbox back when Infinite showed its outdated visuals and just ok gameplay in the trailer. They're trying to make us believe that Horizon 2 will take full advantage of the PS5 (which is utter horseshit) in order to help Sony ensure sales.

Pretty crazy to think what full next-gen games will look like when early cross-gen games look like this.

mLe9huw.gif

Mahavastu

Whatever just let them maybe they like the supposed resolution bump or something lmao.
Btw can anyone tell me if I buy Valhalla Gold Edition on PS4 digitally do I get the same thang on PS5 yeah?
Thats what Ubi Soft promised: buy on PS4, get the same without fee on PS5.
When I read this it was for WatchDogs Legion, Valhalla and the new Far Cry, but probably other games as well

sircaw

Banned
Growing up, starting with NES, I loved playing my favorite sport, Baseball. When those games started showing my team in a proper representation of the stadium they played in, I needed to own the game that did that best and most realistic. For the past eternity, that’s been a Sony console. To see the next graphical leap towards playing in the place I love that much, I’d pay up every time.

While that may wins up being on Xbox this upcoming or next gen won’t be the point for anyone that wants to change my narrative.. I’ll play for those extra blades of grass, Ray traced glints of summer sun off the wall and seat surfaces, ... etc. I’ll never be a ball player, but the closer I get to it virtually, the more I’m willing to pay.

i get it, in the old days when technology was moving along in massive leaps and bounds. I remember the first time i saw quake 2 go from software more to full 3dfk with my voodoo adrenalin rush card, i was blown away.

but in to-days world when there is so much eye candy already when we need experts to zoom in 800% to tell us this is better, i am not so sure. I think its a mental thing rather than a visual thing

I mean i am just looking at the demon souls demo, that initial starting area, it is so packed with foliage, and that's the 60 fps mode,.

also, there is no guarantee that developers are going to put in the extra effort for the more powerful machine, they might just say why should we bother when the vast majority of the public bought the game on the ps5, lets focus our resources there. You could buy an xbox version and find out its the inferior version, then your stuck up a creek without a paddle.

Also the controller, if developers add features for it it might be the best thing ever to happen to games, especially sports games. People might not even realise it yet but that could be the biggest next gen feature people might be missing out on.

Last edited:

geordiemp

And that's horseshit, like the one saying that Horizon 2 is made from the ground up for PS5.

Look, I'm not whiteknighting MS, both Horizon 2 and Halo Infinite will suffer from the decision to go cross-gen. I'm just saying that aside from the fact that Halo Infinite is cross-gen, it also most definitely has development issues because of 343i and not because of the X Series X.

You or I dont know if HFW using the same engine and assets for HFW, so your speculating.

HZD had crazy GPGPU procedural generation and was highly optimsied for ps4, look how PC ran it.

Halo infinte said optimised for XSX. We can read.

demigod

Maybe there is a distinct PS5 version vs. a multi-gen Xbox version which would then detect which console type you’re playing on and download the update because it isn’t on the base version copies or code.

If this is the case, it makes sense, and people are either not thinking it through or are spreading FUD.

No, because that would mean its available on release date but its not. It says it right there, patch POST release.

The enhanced version of spiderman is locked behind miles morales and costs 79e
When my other console AND many third parties are giving me these upgrades for free, 79e seems theft.
Spiderman ps4 was the game that sony showed to spin the SSD, cerny too in his show.

I personally don't see the problem. If I can play the original for free, that seems fair. Would I like to get an upgraded version - have a team spend a good chunk of time and money - making the overall experience better? Sure, of course. Do I expect it? No. Seems pretty entitled to me.

I think what would be good is if they sold you the upgrade for a minimal cost without hidding it behind the MM version. But I'm guessing that's just more work for them (plus they're assusming if you'd like an upgraded version of the original you'll probably want MM too).

What MS are doing (and other publishers, to be fair) are going above and beyond. In MS's case, probably to help sell hardware (they clearly want to turn around the battle that they're currently loosing) as well as get people to sign up to Gamepass. I'm sure if they were the front runners in this race they'd not be giving stuff away for free.

Will be interesting to see if the preasure from MS will get Sony to change their policy. However, the way that the hardware appears to be selling, I think that's unlikely at this stage.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Thing is.....825GB is only 175GB less than your 1TB now.
No, the difference is larger.
The 825GB of the PS5 are "marketing" GB, which translates to 768 "real" GB.
The TerraByte are 1024 "real" GB, so the difference are 256 "real" GB between both

"real": 1KByte = 1024 Bytes
"marketing": 1KByte = 1000 Bytes. Marketing loves to use it for advertising the size of Harddiscs because it sounds more impressive. Some apps use it to make it easier for the users who do not know about the 1024 thing

The usage of the "marketing" GB was confirmed by Mark cerny around the time of his march talk, when he said something like that 825GB is the logical size because they are using 12 channels and 12 chips, and 12x64 = 825.

Darklor01

i get it, in the old days when technology was moving along in massive leaps and bounds. I remember the first time i saw quake 2 go from software more to full 3dfk with my voodoo adrenalin rush card, i was blown away.

but in to-days world when there is so much eye candy already when we need experts to zoom in 800% to tell us this is better, i am not so sure. I think its a mental thing rather than a visual thing

I mean i am just looking at the demon souls demo, that initial starting area, it is so packed with foliage, and that's the 60 fps mode,.

also, there is no guarantee that developers are going to put in the extra effort for the more powerful machine, they might just say why should we bother when the vast majority of the public bought the game on the ps5, lets focus our resources there. You could buy an xbox version and find out its the inferior version, then your stuck up a creek without a paddle.

Also the controller, if developers add features for it it might be the best thing ever to happen to games, especially sports games. People might not even realise it yet but that could be the biggest next gen feature people might be missing out on.

My only guess would be real or projected sales data telling a developer how many users they may be able to sell to on each platform. If they think it’s worth developing the title on both platforms, or they have a contractual obligation to with a publishing house, they will.

Nickolaidas

You or I dont know if HFW using the same engine and assets for HFW, so your speculating.

HZD had crazy GPGPU procedural generation and was highly optimsied for ps4, look how PC ran it.

Halo infinte said optimised for XSX. We can read.
So we're going to pretend that the PS4 version won't hold back the PS5 version because 'new engine'? We're seriously going to pretend the major issue we made fun of MS a few months ago is somehow non-existent on the PS5 because ... magic?

C'mon, man. You're good with tech. You know there's no way that the PS5 will be fully utilized for HFW when the game has to run on a PS4 as well. How will flight at maximum speeds will work on the PS4? Even on freakin' MineCraft on the PS4 if you fly too fast in Creative Mode you can see the textures materialize out of thin air, and that game is just ... blocks. How will the PS4 be able to load in its memory both the surface assets and the underwater assets whenever Alloy dives underwater? It will have to load both surface and underwater textures at the same time (which means the textures will suck donkey dick), or Guerilla will have to do something Jaxter 2-like to make it work (like Alloy entering a long empty cave and then find a hole to dive underwater or something, giving ample time to the PS4 to get rid of its unwanted assets).

Either way, the PS5 will have to sigh and perform the same in order not to embarass its slower cousin.

Darklor01

No, because that would mean its available on release date but its not. It says it right there, patch POST release.

Yeah, I hear you. I’m not sure. Maybe they got the dev kit late.. or, COVID delayed it.. anything could be a reason including the possibility of development issues.

DaGwaphics

I think this discussion is pointless which console is the most wanted. At launch Console sales are driven by the hardcore gamers. Out of 100% hardcore gamers there is about 10% hardcore gamers that buy both consoles. I fall into that 10% because I buy all consoles. The other 90% is divide by hardcore gamers that are fans of either Microsoft or Sony’s brand. So let’s say 55% or PS Brand Fans and 45% are Xbox Fans. I came up with this percentage because PS is a bigger brand in Europe and Asia. So both the Xbox Series X and PS5 will sell like hot cakes.

The Question that needs to be asked is after the first 6 months the console launches which platform will win over the Majority. Which is a hard Question to answer at this point. We will not have any idea for the first 6 months. Because Games, and pricing and supply will effect both over the first 6 months. Before a clear baseline is established.

Though this is my opinion and 2 cents.

Agreed, it seems obvious that Sony will sell more and be in higher demand. I'm not sure why anyone would argue or care about that tbh.

FunkMiller

So we're going to pretend that the PS4 version won't hold back the PS5 version because 'new engine'? We're seriously going to pretend the major issue we made fun of MS a few months ago is somehow non-existent on the PS5 because ... magic?

C'mon, man. You're good with tech. You know there's no way that the PS5 will be fully utilized for HFW when the game has to run on a PS4 as well. How will flight at maximum speeds will work on the PS4? Even on freakin' MineCraft on the PS4 if you fly too fast in Creative Mode you can see the textures materialize out of thin air, and that game is just ... blocks. How will the PS4 be able to load in its memory both the surface assets and the underwater assets whenever Alloy dives underwater? It will have to load both surface and underwater textures at the same time (which means the textures will suck donkey dick), or Guerilla will have to do something Jaxter 2-like to make it work (like Alloy entering a long empty cave and then find a hole to dive underwater or something, giving ample time to the PS4 to get rid of its unwanted assets).

Either way, the PS5 will have to sigh and perform the same in order not to embarass its slower cousin.

Yep. What holds true for one console holds true for the other. Horizon will be a stunted experience because it has to run on PS4, and my hype for it is basically dead in the water now. The first game was pretty good, but I was hoping the second would blow me away thanks to its reliance on using the Ps5’s full power. This won’t be happening now.

I‘m just pleased there are other genuinely next gen games on Ps5 alone for me to enjoy.

geordiemp

There are 2 big differences, IO and CPU power....

Depends but likely limited by CPU, although its not so straight forward with GPGPU. It could be different, lets see what the games .

I would of prefered no ps4 option, but lets wait to see what they look and run like.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Something like this, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

There are 2 big differences, IO and CPU power....

Depends but likely limited by CPU, although its not so straight forward with GPGPU. It could be different, lets see what the games .

I would of prefered no ps4 option, but lets wait to see what they look and run like.
Let's not fool ourselves.

The PS5 reads 9GBs per second. The PS4 reads 50MBs per second. HFW has to be built with this handicap in mind. There's no way around that.

Yeah, the PS5 will have superior textures, native 4K, 60fps, nice particle effects, cool weather simulation and blah blah blah, but that's it. They won't make any gameplay changes which will make the PS5 a far different and superior experience, because that will immediately devalue and change the PS4 version's experience.

DaGwaphics

So Sony gave the PS5 a total of 4 USB ports. The 2 on the back are clearly for external drives, various accessories (like the headset dongle) and also the new camera / PS4 camera adapter.

The USB-A on the front is primarily for the cable to recharge controllers, but likely also for compatibility with the PSVR headset cables.

So this leads me to ask.. why did Sony include that 1 USB-C port? why not just another A?

I am starting to think that the next PSVR headset will use that Type-C port.

I've wondered whether or not we'll see a USB-C dongle that can act as an adapter for the existing headset. I guess it would depend on how much bandwidth PSVR needs, 10GBps wouldn't quite match HDMI 1.4 specs. I guess it is possible that PSVR might need both of the front USBs to function. Edit: Unless the headset is fine with a DP signal converted to HDMI which most displays are.

Could a new headset use USB-C in a VirtualLink-esque manner, I don't know. The standard died on PC because high-res headsets had signaling issues, though Sony may put the time in to correct that.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Let's not fool ourselves.

The PS5 reads 9GBs per second. The PS4 reads 50MBs per second. HFW has to be built with this handicap in mind. There's no way around that.

Yeah, the PS5 will have superior textures, native 4K, 60fps, nice particle effects, cool weather simulation and blah blah blah, but that's it. They won't make any gameplay changes which will make the PS5 a far different and superior experience, because that will immediately devalue and change the PS4 version's experience.

Also lets not fool ourselves, this Guerilla here a top tier sony first party studio, how much do you think first party will optimise and push ?

Its not a game for gamepass.

Last edited:
Yep. What holds true for one console holds true for the other. Horizon will be a stunted experience because it has to run on PS4, and my hype for it is basically dead in the water now. The first game was pretty good, but I was hoping the second would blow me away thanks to its reliance on using the Ps5’s full power. This won’t be happening now.

I‘m just pleased there are other genuinely next gen games on Ps5 alone for me to enjoy.
[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, If You think about It, nextgen still has huge potential to blow us away once devs fully shift to nextgen only.

I hope God Of War Will be that game.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Force feedback PS5 🤔

Hmmm ... I do not own ... Fallout 4, Days Gone, Battlefield 1 and Persona 5. Can't say I won a lot by this list.

Hope Bloodborne will get visuals/framerate upgrades though.
Also lets not fool ourselves, this Guerilla here a top tier sony first party studio, how much do you think first party will optimise and push ?

Its not a game for gamepass.

No matter how talented they are, they cannot override the horribly outdated HDD of the PS4. They're good, but they can't perform miracles.

Unless the PS4 version is a horribly half-assed downgraded attempt to make it work, I expect HFW on the PS5 and the PS4 to have an equal difference with tLoU1 on the PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

or maybe i live in reality, and that what gamepass is. if you are in denial and blind, does not mean some others are too.

but you know, if it is good for you, then it is good for you :messenger_tears_of_joy: i like to own things.

To bad the great value DE doesn't' let you "own" anything either, at least nothing transferable. LOL

FunkMiller

Hmmm ... I do not own ... Fallout 4, Days Gone, Battlefield 1 and Persona 5. Can't say I won a lot by this list.

No matter how talented they are, they cannot override the horribly outdated HDD of the PS4. They're good, but they can't perform miracles.

Unless the PS4 version is a horribly half-assed downgraded attempt to make it work, I expect HFW on the PS5 and the PS4 to have an equal difference with tLoU1 on the PS3 and PS4.

Only three for me!

Don‘t think this is aimed at us though... it’s for people coming across from Xbox.

sircaw

Banned

Love that list, not played Monster hunter world, final fan 15, days gone, until dawn, the last guardian, persona 5 and res evil 7.

and will play bloodborne and fallout again for sure.

I just want to know is the the dlc in it all from the start.

120FPS? Gear 5 will look amazing on XSX, and other games for example new CalL of Duty.

Why is XSX not running DMC SE at double the resolution of PS5? Why is it stuck at 1080p 60fps with ray tracing when it supposedly has double the performance when PS5 is set to profile 3?

Why are we not seeing XSX games at 4K 60fps and PS5 games at 4K 30fps? Who are you trying to fool Web?

Sony has published a patent for a possible PS5 interface

SamWeb

So why are you posting FUD from Timdog, it would be realy funny if it was not thought up by a high school kid ?

Xbox posters getting desperate in their fUD.

Its a shame some kids only understand TF, they should go read a book and learn something.

Staaaap
I have not seen a refutation of this information. but if it hurts your feelings, it does not mean that it is unreliable.
and your bigotry looks pretty immature too...

saintjules

In case anyone is interested. Someone created a spreadsheet which has an overview of all the games you'll be able to play on launch and whether or not they have PS4 upgrades. Xbox games too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom