• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I think he's reading too much into a comment Bethesda made.

For the time being Bethesda will publish the games they are already in the process of publishing. Hell this purchase won't finalize until possibly mid next year even....

The long term future of their publishing is absolutely not going to be some independent entity. That would be nonsense.

Exactly, why are some people so clueless, imagine playing 7 billion so they can still publish their own games😄

Things in the pipeline will still released anything after that is all Microsoft, I don't understand why it's so difficult.

Sounds like the big guns will still release on PS5. If that’s the case then no reason to buy an Xbox.

I dont know why people believe this. Once pre existing contracts are done. Them shits are exclusive & locked to GP. This is good. On the other hand what big guns?? Who's checking for these bethesda games?? I have never heard anyone hyping up their game catalogues.

Me after that acquisition

giphy.gif

Playstation need to do something or they will have problems in a couple or years.

PS dont need to do anything but concentrate on PS5 & making it the place to play the best games.

Its eye catching but I think people are lost in the hype. Forget about the acquisitions. Lets look at whats actually been bought & the quality. It all comes down to the games.Lets keep it a 100% Bethesda games don't sell like hot cakes. If your real. There's nothing in Bethesda's roster that matches Capcom,EA,Acti,PS, Nintendo,Square roster. Bethesda rosters are mid level games. I don't see interwebs clamouring for bethesda games.

This deal is overpriced for mid level IP/games. But I think the impressive thing about this is its guaranteed content for gamepass subscribers. I played 1 bethesda game all gen. So I'm not missing out on anything when their games are GP exclusives.

Its just not going to change the 3 to 1 of PS5 buyers out there. Or the poor game sales on xbox. Additionally the backslash of pushing GP vs industry publishers/studios will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I doubt he has inside info on this deal. He doesn't have many connections left with game publishers, devs, media, etc.

I know his "opinions" burned a lot of bridges. But in this case, I doubt he would voice his opinion like this if he wasn't sure of it.

In 5 months they went from 10 million to 15 million game pass users. If they keep growing like this, game pass will be very very profitable, and thus also sustainable
Enough to ignore a 100M+ User base willing to pay 60/70$ for your game? I doubt it.
They are not focusing on hardware anymore and in the end, it's just business.

People think companies are "passionate" about their games and fans, but it's just money.

Nintendo is giving people the finger on the "limited" deal of Mario BS, not because they care, but to maximize profits. They don't do sales on their games and people see it as "increased value". They are running free and the fans are eating all of the BS with a smile on their faces. Xbox needs to live to prevent Sony from pulling some BS like that on everyone.

NoviDon

I expect both corporations to continue buying up studios (not as big as zenimax bethesda however) throughout the generation, and by gen 10 have a massive catalog of "console exclusives" . itll be a few too big to buy companies left standing like Activision ubisoft etc, and everything else worthwhile(non indie) owned by MS or sony. Fans of a particular console will suffer alot, but all of those acquired titles will still be available on PC...further heightening its value.

splattered

Bethesda buy out doesn't change much at all in the near term. When Elder Scrolls releases in 2023, it'll be on PS still as has been intimated. If not, we're years away from that game. Same for Fallout, which is even further away, likely end of the new gen. Those are the big ones.

Also, those pumping their fists in the air with this news need to be careful what they wish for. This could lead to MS/Sony entering into a full blown arms race and Sony retaliating with buying Capcom or Square.

Not gonna happen, they blew their wad with Insomniac and Final Fantasy timed exclusivity :)

So some of the games will still be multiplatform. Odd choice Xbox, shoulda just locked them all up. Good move for Game Pass regardless.

Starfield looks promising. I like game with exploration and it looks like a space exploration game. If they release it on PS5, I won't have to upgrade my PC, then I'm good.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I dont know why people believe this. Once pre existing contracts are done. Them shits are exclusive & locked to GP. This is good. On the other hand what big guns?? Who's checking for these bethesda games?? I have never heard anyone hyping up their game catalogues.

PS dont need to do anything but concentrate on PS5 & makinf it the place to play games.

Its eye catching but I think people are lost in the hype. Forget about the acquisitions. Lets look at whats actually been bought & the quality. It all comes down to the games.Lets keep it a 100% Bethesda games don't sell like hot cakes. If your real. There's nothing in Bethesda's roster that matches Capcom,EA,Acti,PS, Nintendo,Square roster. Bethesda rosters are mid level games. I don't see interwebs clamouring for bethesda games.

This deal is overpriced for mid level IP/games. But I think the impressive thing about this is its guaranteed content for gamepass subscribers. I played 1 bethesda game all gen. So I'm not missing out on anything when their games are GP exclusives.

Its just not going to change the 3 to 1 of PS5 buyers out there. Or the poor game sales on xbox. Additionally the backslash of pushing GP vs industry publishers/studios will be interesting to watch.
Neither mainline TES nor mainline Fallout is "mid level" mate.

kyliethicc

That's not really an argument/point. The health of the industry is not at stake here.
I'm just saying all prices and purchases are arbitrary. Its capitalism. The market will decide and sort it all out over time.

They could just not raise prices, but cut costs. Or not, and just make less. They can do many different options.

I just have no issue with quality games being $70 on day 1, and thats all I was saying to begin. Just like I was fine with $60 PS3 games in 2006. But I get some won't want to spend that, and of course, they shouldn't. Gotta do whats best for one's self.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I know his "opinions" burned a lot of bridges. But in this case, I doubt he would voice his opinion like this if he wasn't sure of it.

Enough to ignore a 100M+ User base willing to pay 60/70$ for your game? I doubt it.
They are not focusing on hardware anymore and in the end, it's just business.

People think companies are "passionate" about their games and fans, but it's just money.

Nintendo is giving people the finger on the "limited" deal of Mario BS, not because they care, but to maximize profits. They don't do sales on their games and people see it as "increased value". They are running free and the fans are eating all of the BS with a smile on their faces. Xbox needs to live to prevent Sony from pulling some BS like that on everyone.
No game sells +100 Million copies. Spider-Man, one of the most sold first party titles of this gen sold 15 million? If all of those would have sold at $60 (which they didn't), that would 900mil. That's 4 months of current game pass subscribers...

Also I'm sure that the executives at Sony, Xbox, Nintendo love gaming WHILE thinking about business. Just because they are trying to build a profitable business doesn't mean they aren't passionate about gaming.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm just saying all prices and purchases are arbitrary. Its capitalism. The market will decide and sort it all out over time.

They could just not raise prices, but cut costs. Or not, and just make less. They can do many different options.

I just have no issue with quality games being $70 on day 1, and thats all I was saying to begin. Just like I was fine with $60 PS3 games in 2006. But I get some won't want to spend that, and of course, they shouldn't. Gotta do whats best for one's self.

WIth all do respect your initial argument was:

"If games for PS5 and PS3 cost the same ($60) then games would actually be less expensive than ever before. Its not sustainable or realistic to never raise prices."

The current market at the sticker price of $60 is more than sustainable is my point.

Last edited:
I know literally nothing about Starfield. That game and Scrolls 6 both seem like theyre 5+ years away from release.

I only know Doom as Bethesda game that released recently. I'm not really into first person shooter. What games do they have that is in the release window? I have my eyes on Elder Scrolls and Starfield.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Disagree, the price rise was long in the making with them being stable for 2 generations now. Game dev cost have shot through the roof, $10 hike isn't the problem. The problem is lack of regional pricing, some markets are going to get fucked over for no reason. And with value on offer on other platform, Sony run the risk of reduced revenue if more and more of these games are available via a subscription. But, my over-arching point was more about the impact on gaming industry as a whole, rather than Sonys wallet getting little bit lighter. With race to acquisition for these publishers, it's only a matter of time before the gaming space is flooded with different subscription models.

Which brings me to my next point, the trouble with gaming subscription model has always been two-fold, where does it leave your lesser known indie to AA games which are not on any subscription? Will folks pay $19.99-59.99 to play these games? Just look at TV/movie space, how many folks do you think use cable these days? Or even go to theaters to watch your lesser known movies? How many folks even buy these content physically/digitally? I can't even recall how many subscription services I currently pay for, it's close to double figures already for TV/Movie consumption alone.

If subscription model gains foothold in this medium (which it will, its inevitable with other corporations looking to invest). It'll change the spending habit of your consumers, the prestige titles/IPs/AAAs stuff will continue to sell well. But, anything not belonging to that category or not on a sub service is dead in the water. Also, the talk about sustainability is valid, your mega-corporations who have been in the business long enough (like Microsoft) will be willing to write the losses for a long time before it turns profitable But, newer players in the ilk of Google, Amazon, Apple won't be as patient if the trajectory of growth doesn't align with their expectations. If it's a sunk cost, it'll be a write off and all those publishers/devs working those banner are just gone.

They have shot through the roof at the ask and demand of no one. Saying prices need to go up simply because dev costs have gone up makes sense if the consumer was asking for it. Nobody asked Ubisoft to make every game an open world giant game that requires thousands of developers to finish in a timely manner. The scope of the industry is always growing and along with that so have the developers/[publishers sources of revenue from the consumer on the product.

The price of games already went up just not the initial commitment. If we lived in a world without MTX and DLC stapled to 95 percent of games then sure, raise the prices, but thats not the reality we live in.

The subscription model will most definitely force some things to happen but I think you could argue that they need to happen. Look at the release list for a week on any of the major players games. Its filled with content that not a single consumer could realistically consume. You have to be look at the market and fill it with content people want not just content.

This is why the subscription of Game Pass is working in my eyes as it gives curation to a market that is 85 percent bloat and 15 percent good content at a price that makes sense for the consumer. It will most definiltey push a lot of people/content out but I see that in the current climate of the market a good thing.

KAL2006

Banned
I ain't going to lie this has made my next gen purchase something to think about. Before it was a very easy decision with PS5.

I'm not a person who likes buying 2 consoles either.

However it feels like Sony games are just further along in development so I'm going to stick with PS5. I'm not that bothered about Doom, but games like Evil Within, Elder Scrolls and Dishonored are big ones for me. It's a choice between those and God of War, Naughty Dog etc.

If when Elder Scrolls and Starfield come out I guess I can always play those on Gamepass through the cloud and just beat them. And if I feel Sony are lacking with their exclusives and Microsoft gets way better in the future I can always buy a Series X afterwards.

Faithless83

Banned
I had never seen the (next gen specs) xbox bashing thread this quiet. 🤣
You guys needed a win, last time with the 12TF was months ago. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

No game sells +100 Million copies. Spider-Man, one of the most sold first party titles of this gen sold 15 million? If all of those would have sold at $60 (which they didn't), that would 900mil. That's 4 months of current game pass subscribers...

Also I'm sure that the executives at Sony, Xbox, Nintendo love gaming WHILE thinking about business. Just because they are trying to build a profitable business doesn't mean they aren't passionate about gaming.
See that I said user base, meaning potential customers. How many versions of Skyrim did we saw again?
Basic math:

5M x $70 = 350M
25M x $10 = 250M

That said, they need to pay the other publishers their cut from Gamepass.
Are you sure they are willing to ignore the sales? Just like they couldn't ignore on Minecraft case.
It's just business, man.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

WIth all do respect your initial argument was:

The current market at the sticker price of $60 is more than sustainable is my point.
I don't think it is. They could leave prices the same, but they'd have to cut costs. Something has to give.

No other industry keeps the price of a good the same for over 10+ years. Especially entertainment.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't think it is. They could leave prices the same, but they'd have to cut costs. Something has to give.

No other industry keeps the price of a good the same for over 10+ years. Especially entertainment.

Then why are major publishers posting record breaking numbers for quarters?

DaGwaphics

The current Game Pass economic model simply makes no sense from a business standpoint. Which means it's just a phase artificially kept up by Microsoft to gather users, and at some point the rules of the game are going to change.

Game Pass ultimate is $180/y. If even just 4 AAA games will be added to the service at release over one year, it means the publishers are collectively letting go of more than $200 of launch revenue per user. Sure, in most cases Game Pass will have a larger install base than the expected sales for a single game, but it's not just those games on the service, it's more than 100 in total, a lot of which could have sold for $60 at launch, or would still sell for $30-$40 now.

Bottom line is, if you just took the revenue from Game Pass and split it for all the games that have been in the service, a good number of them would have done so at a loss. The numbers don't add up. It's also simple common sense that if entering Game Pass were advantageous for publishers compared to just selling games in the traditional way, basically everybody at this point would have done so. Yet Microsoft has to chase down individual deals, and even buy entire billion-dollars publishers to secure products on the service.

Why? Because Microsoft is footing the bill for the time being with the knowledge that even though the service is not profitable right now, once it reaches a critical enough mass of users it could easily become so if they just tweak a couple of factors: direct money in (price of the subscription), money out (development costs), and more focus on sources of revenue irrespective of an initial sale to the consumer (microtransactions). I don't know which one of these will give first, or if a combination of all of them, but it's simply economically impossible for the current price/offer to remain untouched going forward.

As long as Microsoft did this with their own bunch of first party and the odd third party AAA here and there, it didn't really matter. But if they start really pushing for this, basically using their pre-existing incalculable amount of money to force the conversion or outright kick out those who would have maintained a traditional game sales and ownership model, in the long term the end result could very easily be a complete shift in paradigm for the worse for the user (if they succeed), or a titanic industry crash (if they fail).

You're looking at things from a perspective that is too nearsighted. Let's say that GP gets to 30m @ 10/mo. That is 3.6b/yr in revenue. You can invest in a 100m game every single month and still have a lot of $$$ left for additional content and profit. And MS probably has their eyes on a bigger number than 30m as well. GP is a long-term play. Basically, MS trying to get some first mover advantage before Amazon, Apple and Alphabet come to play at full tilt.

And none of that even figures in the fact that platform holders already earn more from MTX than they do from selling traditional software (even Sony), and that will come at a bigger scale if games gained audience more quickly via GP.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

A global pandemic causing people to spend money on home entertainment including gaming might or might not have something to do with it. I dunno.

Faithless83

Banned

Covid made a lot of people turn to gaming for their sanity.

We've seen literally nothing?

I also have my eyes on Star Citizen and Beyond Good and Evil 2. Games that I would get lost in its world are my type of games.

Sony also have two games rumored to be set in space. One is with Naughty Dog and one with Japan Studio. I hope they're true.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Covid made a lot of people turn to gaming for their sanity.
A global pandemic causing people to spend money on home entertainment including gaming might or might not have something to do with it. I dunno.

Fine, then go back some time before covid.

Last edited:
Elder Scrolls is release window?

I don't know. Is it? I think I just confused you with the last sentence. It was just me saying I have my eyes on those games for a while now.

Is there any game from Bethesda that is even in the first year window release of xbox? Why should we care if their games are 3-5 year away from now and when they do get released we can play them on a more powerful PC day 1 anyway?

Neither mainline TES nor mainline Fallout is "mid level" mate.

We just had next gen showcases none of these games were coming up in convo's. People out here clamouring for MGS remakes. Nobody is checking for them games. Everything has its run just accept those mid games fell off.
Just like wolfenstein.

None of those games pop up in top generational games convo. If your not top then your bottom or mid. Them games are mid as fuck. It is what it is.Their roster is mid.Nobody cares for Doom guy he got washed.The minute FF7 remake come out. There's levels out here. You cant all make the all star team.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They have shot through the roof at the ask and demand of no one. Saying prices need to go up simply because dev costs have gone up makes sense if the consumer was asking for it. Nobody asked Ubisoft to make every game an open world giant game that requires thousands of developers to finish in a timely manner. The scope of the industry is always growing and along with that so have the developers/[publishers sources of revenue from the consumer on the product.

The price of games already went up just not the initial commitment. If we lived in a world without MTX and DLC stapled to 95 percent of games then sure, raise the prices, but thats not the reality we live in.

The subscription model will most definitely force some things to happen but I think you could argue that they need to happen. Look at the release list for a week on any of the major players games. Its filled with content that not a single consumer could realistically consume. You have to be look at the market and fill it with content people want not just content.

This is why the subscription of Game Pass is working in my eyes as it gives curation to a market that is 85 percent bloat and 15 percent good content at a price that makes sense for the consumer. It will most definiltey push a lot of people/content out but I see that in the current climate of the market a good thing.
This is a good point for the greedy games like NBA2K, but at least Sony doesn't put microtransactions in their big games. I'd happily pay $60 or $70 for The Last of Us Part II and God of War, etc. Those are the games I play the most anyways.

I paid less than full price for Rainbow Six, and it keeps getting better and better every year for free. Now they do sell cosmetics, but it's completely optional (and kinda useless vanity.) Rocket League same thing. I've played that game for 5 years, almost daily. I'd pay $70 for that. I got it for "free" via PS Plus, day 1. Never spent 1 cent directly to Epic/Psyonix for that game, but I got hundreds of hours of fun.

I dont think 95% of games have DLC that anyone needs to buy either. I have lots of Sony PS4 games, and I can only think of 2 with paid DLC (Horizon and Spider-man) but the versions of those games I bought included the DLC. I waited 1 year and got Spider-Man with all DLC on sale on the PS4 store for $20. Great value for me. Gotta take it all case by case. I paid full price foe TLOU2 and Ghost and loved both, glad I did. It all depends.

We all just gotta decide whats worth what and the publishers will eventually take note. Thats why I bought Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. EA finally made a singleplayer game with no stupid mtx and or multiplayer. It all depends on the game. I can't support FIFA games anymore even though I used to enioy them because its not worth the price to me.

Darklor01

Fine, then go back some time before covid.

OK, reading the article.. it sites monthly subscription services, digital sales for various titles which mostly seem to be social games like Candy Crush making up the bulk of the profits along with money recouped from layoffs. Yes, the Call of Duty titles are mentioned .. but most of their profit seems to be on the Mobile division in that particular article.

RaZoR No1

See that I said user base, meaning potential customers. How many versions of Skyrim did we saw again?
Basic math:

5M x $70 = 350M
25M x $10 = 250M

That said, they need to pay the other publishers their cut from Gamepass.
Are you sure they are willing to ignore the sales? Just like they couldn't ignore on Minecraft case.
It's just business, man.
What you need to consider is, MS is making the subscription money monthly.
Let's calculate with the actual numbers:
15M x $10 150M monthly, 1,8BN per year.
OK not everybody has Gamepass Ultimate and probably a lot of the subscribers used the 1$ upgrade option, therefore let's say MS gets only 5$ per user.

Currently that's still $75M monthly, 900M yearly.

Additionally all games, get a GP discount, so if you like the game and keep it, you can buy it cheaper. Important for third party games.
MS has theoretical now a huge market, thanks to PC and mobile phone users.

Everyone has at least one device or platform, where you can use and subscribe to Gamepass, unless you only own Apple devices...
This is of course without considering all of the additional DLC or MTX buys etc.
Unless we learn, how the deals with the different publishers are, regarding GP, unfortunately we cannot calculate how much profit MS makes.

It is not a bad strategy, but a risky one and I think currently MS is one of the few global players, who could afford such a big investment for the future.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If they want to keep making games better, they'll need to spend more to make more, and need to ask for more from buyers.

Also, net revenue isn't operating profit.

Darklor01

I don't know. Is it? I think I just confused you with the last sentence. It was just me saying I have my eyes on those games for a while now.

Is there any game from Bethesda that is even in the first year window release of xbox? Why should we care if their games are 3-5 year away from now and when they do get released we can play them on a more powerful PC day 1 anyway?

Yep, it was the wording. I have my eyes on Elder Scrolls down the road as well. I will eventually buy an XSX for that and Fable at some point.

Bo Microsoft have a market cap of over 1.5 Trillion dollars. I love PlayStation. But I can do basic math and I know 1.5 trillion is fucking huge lol. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, these corporations are on a different level.
Market cap means shit. And a servant of a prince in the middle east can buy Microsoft and Apple combined 😂😂😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom