• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demon's souls, Ratchet and Clank, etc won't sell PlayStation's either. To the masses at least. PlayStation first party numbers prove that. Low attach rate compared to a console like the Switch which at half the install base is blowing Sony first party sales out of the water. Social media and marketing moves units and if people are swayed because Twitter is saying Gamepass is an insane deal and Digital Foundry videos show the Series X consistently performs better that's how the mindshare shifts and word of mouth spreads. There's a reason PS4 destroyed the Xbox One, social media and marketing did the heavy lifting. Not the games. Because let's face it, Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall weren't.....shall we say, Breath of the Wild-esque experiences.
buddy you couldnt be more wrong if you don’t think games sell systems. And you ignored the entire used game market by just looking at the sales number. Those first party attach ratios are at all time high this gen. The games are even more important than before. Please look at PS4 vs Xbone history again. look at when the sales gap suddenly widens.

GAF machine

Gold Member
If I had the money i'd gold you.

Medal of Investigation. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: 🏅

You're wish has come true.

:messenger_open_mouth:... Thanks Bo! :messenger_grinning:... Words can't express my surprise and gratitude for your act of kindness and generosity. My :messenger_heart: was truly warmed by it.

I wish I could say I was deserving of it, but I can't because my investigation hasn't yielded any fruit. It's only provided some hope (perhaps false) that maybe, just maybe there's a chance many of us may get what we want.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your generous gift. May the kindness and generosity you've shown me be extended to you tenfold by someone you know or a stranger. God bless you Bo_Hazem.

And to you ksdixon, thanks for the thought -- it literally counted. May your thoughtful consideration of me be extended to you tenfold by someone you know or a stranger, that you be blessed as well.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
You might not like what they’re doing, but you can hardly argue with the results.

Booo hooo, They need to tell me everything 😭, I should know everything booo hooo😭😭

How do they expect me to spend a fortune ($399 lol) without knowing the ins and outs of their (expensive lol) hardware 😭😭 IM ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING 😭😭😭

That's Slimy in a nutshell, nerds can be weird at times lol

buddy you couldnt be more wrong if you don’t think games sell systems. And you ignored the entire used game market by just looking at the sales number. Those first party attach ratios are at all time high this gen. The games are even more important than before. Please look at PS4 vs Xbone history again. look at when the sales gap suddenly widens.

Where did he say that games don't sell systems? The used games market - are you kidding? Sony doesn't even want that market to exist because they know they're games are being bought and sold on the cheap or going to the bargain bin. They aren't comparable to Nintendo at all, who almost never have sales.

FunkMiller

of course they are gonna sell out preorders. xbox sold out too. and yet we all think that it will get outsold by a 2:1 margin next gen.

it doesnt mean the marketing hasnt been atrocious. RGT is right, the road to ps5 thing was the worst way to reveal a new console. so much tech lingo and no demos. and since then its been one misstep after another.

currently, we are hitting F5 waiting for Naughty dog to announce a next gen patch for tlou2 on a random saturday. thats not how this stuff is supposed to be marketed.

Oh, I’m not saying they’re doing much of a good job at the moment... I just don’t think lavish marketing campaigns after one another is where their at. And covid has fucked everything this year. Lucky for Sony that they have such huge mindshare going into this generation.

Also, the single best marketing either company has done this year was a six minute gameplay video of a next gen launch game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe Digital Foundry?

But then again I haven't heard them confirm anything about the resolution. I remember they didn't know the resolution of the UE5 demo until they were told.

I'm guessing Demon Souls could be handling the resolution very similarly. If Digital Foundry isn't able to tell the difference then I don't think anyone should be worried.
they did not. they have been very busy lately.

Where did he say that games don't sell systems? The used games market - are you kidding? Sony doesn't even want that market to exist because they know they're games are being bought and sold on the cheap or going to the bargain bin. They aren't comparable to Nintendo at all, who almost never have sales.
literally the first sentence? :messenger_neutral: Half of his reply was saying it. And he used the sales number trying to prove his point. What’s up with you though? Triggered?

I've been ragging on Sony's marketing for well over a year now and frankly it's quite stunning how they have fucked it all up.

I remember people here telling me that is too early to ask for more details. Well we have literally just preordered the console and we still don't know anything about the ui, console features, and how bc works.

The Spiderman fiasco is the perfect example. They are charging money for a product they have not yet shown. Everyone hates it because they haven't shown a side by side comparison of wise the upgrades look like.

This shouldn't be this hard. They are in the business of selling consoles and games and yet they are failing to even show this stuff properly.
The only explanation I can think of is having to do with some NDA from AMD. Maybe Sony is just being stubborn and, as with all other PS5 info, are just planning on slowly revealing that info at some point. I really hope they do their own "hot chips", but I think AMD needs to come forward with RDNA2.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
:messenger_open_mouth:... Thanks Bo! :messenger_grinning:... Words can't express my surprise and gratitude to you for your act of kindness and generosity. My :messenger_heart: was truly warmed by it.

I wish I could say I was deserving of it, but I can't because my investigation hasn't yielded any fruit. It's only provided some hope (perhaps false) that maybe, just maybe there's a chance many of us may get what we want.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your generous gift. May the kindness and generosity you've shown me be extended to you tenfold by someone you know or a stranger. God bless you Bo_Hazem.

And to ksdixon, thanks for the thought -- it literally counted. May your thoughtful consideration of me be extended to you tenfold by someone you know or stranger, that you be blessed as well.

You're welcome, mate. It's covered by Jim, he told me to tell to avoid buying Xbox Series X|S and GamePass and buy Spiderman MM with the remastered PS4 game for as cheap as $69.99. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

of course they are gonna sell out preorders. xbox sold out too. and yet we all think that it will get outsold by a 2:1 margin next gen.

it doesnt mean the marketing hasnt been atrocious. RGT is right, the road to ps5 thing was the worst way to reveal a new console. so much tech lingo and no demos. and since then its been one misstep after another.

currently, we are hitting F5 waiting for Naughty dog to announce a next gen patch for tlou2 on a random saturday. thats not how this stuff is supposed to be marketed.

Stating that xbox sold out too is plain wrong. First you must state at where, I assume you mean USA but that doesnt equal into sold out.

Xbox s/x have been available in multiple countries for the whole time since they opened preorders. Finland + Slovakia = both have them available even now. And there are probably more countries besides these.

Meanwhile PS5 is literally sold out on the globe. Someone said on this thread that on Norway PS5 orders can go to 21.7.2020 aka 21st of july until they get theirs. Here at Finland it is around march when some sites say orders to be fullfilled for new orders.

That is being sold out, xbox is available on multiple countries for launch = not sold out

Saying "xbox is sold out at USA" is fine, but it is just lying/ignorance/bullshit to compare them as "yeah both are sold out" like they would be on the same page.

PS5 is sold out on global level, xbox isnt. Facts are facts. Biggest Slovakian retailer site shows less than 900 units sold this week, of xbox. That aint anything to brag about.

sircaw

Banned
Bo, you are the biggest Sony fan I’ve ever met. Respect.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem my man, listen up, we all know you are hated by xbox fanboys on this site.

Just imagine how many ps5 consoles you could sell if the xbox fanboys knew you would be playing demon souls, think of how many of them would buy a console just to invade you.

You Bo, could be the secret sauce that Sony has not spoken about yet. "lollipop_disappointed:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem my man, listen up, we all know you are hated by xbox fanboys on this site.

Just imagine how many ps5 consoles you could sell if the xbox fanboys knew you would be playing demon souls, think of how many of them would buy a console just to invade you.

You Bo, could be the secret sauce that Sony has not spoken about yet. "lollipop_disappointed:

Can't help it, programmed that way.

giphy.gif

Shmunter

Maybe I'm dumb, but can someone enlighten me, how Xbox Live has over 100 million monthly active users, while Playstation Network has about the same and Steam 90?

They sold 70 million less consoles.

It’s any Xbox, windows or mobile user that has an account which is free. Unrelated to consoles in count or ratio.

Nickolaidas

even if its checkerboard 4k 60 fps, that means the game couldve looked much better at 4kcb 30 fps. and they couldve released a 1080p 60 fps option like gow and sotc.

I feel like devs are going all in on 60 fps next gen with which is kinda disappointing for graphics whore. the fps whores are definitely getting their wish though.
You *do* realize that Demon's Souls is going to have a 'performance' and 'fidelity' mode, right?

kyliethicc

even if its checkerboard 4k 60 fps, that means the game couldve looked much better at 4kcb 30 fps. and they couldve released a 1080p 60 fps option like gow and sotc.

I feel like devs are going all in on 60 fps next gen with which is kinda disappointing for graphics whore. the fps whores are definitely getting their wish though.
There are 30 and 60 FPS options for Demon's Souls, Racthet & Clank, and Spider-Man.

Digital Foundry speculated that Demon's Souls is native 2160p @ 30 Hz or 1440p @ 60 Hz based on their pixel counting the footage.

Both will look great. We as the users can chose which is better for us.

Last edited:

DocRay

Stating that xbox sold out too is plain wrong. First you must state at where, I assume you mean USA but that doesnt equal into sold out.

Xbox s/x have been available in multiple countries for the whole time since they opened preorders. Finland + Slovakia = both have them available even now. And there are probably more countries besides these.

Meanwhile PS5 is literally sold out on the globe. Someone said on this thread that on Norway PS5 orders can go to 21.7.2020 aka 21st of july until they get theirs. Here at Finland it is around march when some sites say orders to be fullfilled for new orders.

That is being sold out, xbox is available on multiple countries for launch = not sold out

Saying "xbox is sold out at USA" is fine, but it is just lying/ignorance/bullshit to compare them as "yeah both are sold out" like they would be on the same page.

PS5 is sold out on global level, xbox isnt. Facts are facts. Biggest Slovakian retailer site shows less than 900 units sold this week, of xbox. That aint anything to brag about.

You can still buy Xbox X/S here they have in stock and didn´t sold out

now, what efficiency improvement margin do we expect for amd's latest? 5%? 8%? even if 10%, cerny's magic words do not compute.

I guess we will find out this Christmas who is the troll. could prove to be me -as I go through these numbers and draw conclusions, but I'd suggest that you don't be so hasty to rule out that cerny was the troll all along.

I'm bringing this clueless post from our resident TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark back up. It was laughable then as AMD had a slide that said the performance per watt increase would be 50% going from RDNA1 to RDNA2.

But his wider point was that clockspeeds on PS5 were pushed too high (basing this on RDNA1's clockspeeds for troll reasons). But today we've possibly uncovered the clockspeed ballpark of RDNA2 GPUs, which is informative when it comes to PS5's RDNA2.5 GPU:

VideoCardz said:
Navi 22 – Navy Flounder
The mid-tier GPU in a lineup appears to feature 40 CUs, so just as many as Navi 10. Therefore, the GPU is expected to be an RDNA2 version of mid-range graphics for the upcoming RX 6700 series. The GPU is listed with a (maximum) GPU clock of 2500 MHz, so even higher than Navi 21.

So fuck off with the FUD that 2.2Ghz clock on RDNA2 console GPU is too high :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I heard they just got the XSX so I'm not surprised.
They were busy doing the same MSFT scripted social media BS for XSeX that twitards like fatfinger Jez were doing too.
Would think DF would have some backbone that they would say no to this kind of Bs, as they claim to be professionals analysts...:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

I think I saw the same XSeX start up vid from several shills and YouTube channels.

Last edited:

NEbeast

PS5 is selling based on PS4 hype. The point is the they could have "even more" hype by releasing proper info, and not mis-communicating certain things like the Spiderman upgrade fiasco.

Ps5 is selling because it has a great first year of games, and it will continue to have great games after. That's all that matters to most people, UI etc is bottom of the list for most consumers.

1 in a 100,000,000 shot maybe? Shop near my house.

V5Obfar.jpg
I've never seen Tangy Cheese before.

I'm bringing this clueless post from our resident TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark back up. It was laughable then as AMD had a slide that said the performance per watt increase would be 50% going from RDNA1 to RDNA2.

But his wider point was that clockspeeds on PS5 were pushed too high (basing this on RDNA1's clockspeeds for troll reasons). But today we've possibly uncovered the clockspeed ballpark of RDNA2 GPUs, which is informative when it comes to PS5's RDNA2.5 GPU:

So fuck off with the FUD that 2.2Ghz clock on RDNA2 console GPU is too high :messenger_sunglasses:

I think it's even more proof that the PS5 has an RDNA2 GPU. RDNA1 could never reach those clock speeds.

With that said the only reason why Microsoft went with a lower clock speed is due to the extra CUs that they have. Yes the XSX and XSS do have RDNA2 CUs as well.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

An update from my country - Greece.

The PlayStation 5 has been sold out (both versions) from the three major retailers where you can pre-order online.

The X Series X has been sold out from 1 out of the three same major retailers where you can pre-order.

The X Series S is still available to pre-order from all three major retailers where you can pre-order.

zaitsu

Banned

Poor shark , its sad to be him.
Wrong whole time, being so dumb.

DaGwaphics

It even sounds like they could have clocked the PS5 a bit higher even.

Well, now this is AMD we are talking about so we have to see how often they can hit max clocks during actual usage (if at all). Though, I hope they aren't overselling and have moved past the aggressive downclocking featured in the 5000 series.

Well by comparison the XsX @ 1.8Ghz does look a little conservative even with 52CUs. But I guess that's why the box is smaller as that clockspeed on RDNA2 is not too far off sweet spot.

To me it looks like the PS5 is similar to Navi 22 and the XSX is similar to Navi 21 but with alot less CUs.

But to be fair they both can be based off Navi 22 but Microsoft asked for more CUs in their GPU.

Md Ray

TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark spreading BS and FUD? Why am I not surprised?

EDIT: Just saw the article a couple of hrs ago. Pretty amazing.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom