• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlDan

Which I don't own... I don't have a gaming PC, and PS5 doesn't offer the games that will release on Game Pass in the future. (Halo Infinite, Starfield, ES6, Everwild, Forza, Fable, etc.).

I could buy the PS5 now, and the XSX in the future. But I'm doing it the other way around, since PS5 games are so expensive. Will buy those exclusives on the cheap once PS5 Pro releases.
Did you just make the assumption that xbox games won't increase in price?

that's a bad take, we haven't seen the retail price for any of the games you're waiting for.

MastaKiiLA

so if it was native 4k and solid 60fps... you would have just accepted it? rather than crying "ITS RUNNING ON PC WHO CARES"... there is literally no reason for DF to deep dive into resolution/frames for that reason

please think before typing out these conspiracy crap
I don't think they're conspiracies. I'm relatively new to DF, and subbed their channel because I find their technical analysis interesting. I can pick and choose what I care to believe from it, but the content is good IMO.

However, I think their critics have justification for feeling their system of choice is unfairly treated, as there are legitimate inconsistencies in the videos. PS reveal videos got wacky zoom, and speculation on framerates. The showcase demo of the MS show didn't get that same level of detail. We can all agree the game looked disappointing, but you don't need DF to tell you that. The zoom and framerate talk was expected to the same degree as the PS show, even if it meant picking apart a turd. That stink isn't supposed to be DF's concern, they'd merely be consistent in quality of analysis.

Similarly, there were no mentions of what made FF16 look so underwhelming, along the same lines as Halo. FF clearly suffers from poor lighting, among other missing effects, but while Halo got an entire video dedicated to pointing out how the poor lighting impacted the overall visuals, FF received no such treatment.

In the Hitman2 analysis, the worst portion of the benchmark shifted from the easy-to-read frame counter to a percentage based readout, which could be inferred as masking how bad the framerate truly was for an extended portion of that scene. IIRC, that section was also sped up, making the duration of those framerate drops seem less.

These aren't conspiracies so much as these are notable inconsistencies in presentation. I mentioned how trusted review/analyst sites make a point of creating standards when generating their content, as to provide comparable results, and to avoid the impression of bias. DF isn't some upstart review site trying to gain its footing, and establish its reputation. They've been around long enough to know better, and these are grown men who should be open to constructive criticism in order to allow themselves to improve. They don't seem to be heeding any of the feedback, which isn't helping to improve their standing with their critics. They might not care to do so, and that's their prerogative. However, I don't think you can write off criticism of their methods as just conspiracies, because I think that diminishes the claims of bias, that DF themselves have opened themselves up to with their continued sloppy approach to graphics analysis. It is what it is.

Is that Edinburg I see in this picture next to the phone?

Laptop or Surface, IMO. Though I admit I have no idea why a laptop would be shown separate from a PC. Maybe because it's a mobile PC?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Did you just make the assumption that xbox games won't increase in price?

that's a bad take, we haven't seen the retail price for any of the games you're waiting for.
We saw the retail price of the games at launch. Same price as always. There was a topic here on NeoGAF with price comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vae_Victis

Banned
While checking out Resolution Standards.
I saw where Sony got the resolutions 1440p and 1800p with the PS4 Pro.
But I also saw 50fps as a standards.

JcILivd.png

Why aren't games caped at 50fps for more stable frame rate?
I mean games run at any frame rate when unlock.
So maybe 1800p/50fps could be a thing?
I think it's just an arbitrary industry standard, since most TVs are capped a 60 Hz and that's what you can shoot for to get the most out of it.

Back in the day (mainly in the PS1 and PS2 era) several games released in PAL regions were actually capped at 50 fps (and then also had an option for 60 fps), since the standard PAL TV signal uses 25-50 Hz instead of 30-60 of NTSC.

Last edited:
We've driven nearly every convo into the ground but at least stuff like SSD or power differences are actual next-gen speculation lol Feel like moaning about DF is severely off topic.. but then again so is moaning about Twitter fanboys, and that's half this thread.

I'd love to re-visit convos about how BC is going to work on PS5, since we'll actually find out soon.. I'm expecting all BC to run at PS5 clocks myself, and am happy about it.. but everyone seems to expect PS5 to downlock. One sort of last piece of info I'm waiting for confirmation on myself.

Obviously any Pro enhanced game or games with unlocked frame rate/resolution should be equipped to scale nicely with PS5, but I think we’ll see a handful of first party games locked to OG PS4 spec. I’m also curious to see how BC titles run on PS5 vs XSX and how much (if at all) the Xbox API overhead impacts performance gains.

I’m holding off on playing/replaying a handful of games for when PS5 launches since I skipped the Pro: Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne round 5, Last of Us Part 2 Part 2, and Jedi Fallen Order.

Birdo

Banned
Is MS using the same game boxes for next gen games?

I know their launch line up is multi-gen, but eventually they will need to have boxes for Series S/X only games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Obviously any Pro enhanced game or games with unlocked frame rate/resolution should be equipped to scale nicely with PS5, but I think we’ll see a handful of first party games locked to OG PS4 spec. I’m also curious to see how BC titles run on PS5 vs XSX and how much (if at all) the Xbox API overhead impacts performance gains.

I’m holding off on playing/replaying a handful of games for when PS5 launches since I skipped the Pro: Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne round 5, Last of Us Part 2 Part 2, and Jedi Fallen Order.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. My backlog for PS4 is pretty big, and I'm in no hurry.. so waiting on a few games to see how BC works.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Is MS using the same game boxes for next gen games?

I know their launch line up is multi-gen, but eventually they will need to have boxes for Series S/X only games.
They are not exactly the same, they are just very very similar. The current-gen versions have "Xbox One" written at the top, the Xbox Series X versions only have "Xbox" in the middle and to the right the Series X logo.

Xbox One:

190634.jpg

Xbox Series X:

cover_77dd86e3-60e5-4cf3-ae01-d2d9991afacf_2048x.jpg

Last edited:

tmlDan

We saw the retail price of the games at launch. Same price as always. There was a topic here on NeoGAF with price comparisons.

None of the games you listed are at launch, if you're talking about other publishers then yes. But Xbox first party studios don't have retail prices associated with them. The only reason Halo might have the standard price is because it is launching without RT included and its kind of a make good for the delay when it was supposed to be a launch game.

I'd be surprised if they stay the same as this gen but that would be more than welcome, it'll make them cheaper to buy on PC too.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
None of the games you listed are at launch, if you're talking about other publishers then yes. But Xbox first party studios don't have retail prices associated with them. The only reason Halo might have the standard price is because it is launching without RT included and its kind of a make good for the delay when it was supposed to be a launch game.

I'd be surprised if they stay the same as this gen but that would be more than welcome, it'll make them cheaper to buy on PC too.
I have Game Pass. I don't separately have to buy first party studio games of Microsoft. And 1 year of Game Pass is cheaper than 2 first party exclusive games of PS5 (at launch). Besides the more powerful system, the XSX is also the more budget friendly system.

Birdo

Banned
They are not exactly the same, they are just very very similar. The current-gen versions have "Xbox One" written at the top, the Xbox Series X versions only have "Xbox" in the middle and to the right the Series X logo.

Xbox One:

190634.jpg

Xbox Series X:

cover_77dd86e3-60e5-4cf3-ae01-d2d9991afacf_2048x.jpg

Ah, thanks. I hadn't seen those. They should have been a little more different.

Would have been cool to see enhanced XBO games get their own SX boxes, like they did with some 360 games on XBO:

Red-Dead-Redemption-Game-of-the-Year-Edition.jpg

I'm curious to see if and how the "game pass" narrative shifts in 1-2 years when Microsoft actually have some triple A exclusives to show.

It won’t change much if at all. If anything, I think you may see some games like Crossfire X where some parts of the game are gated behind a paywall.

MS are basically betting that Game Pass/Ultimate will generate more revenue in the long term than what Gold, game pass, and digital games (not DLC/MTX) have generated individually, and that revenue will need to be made up somewhere.

pasterpl

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate gets EA Play on Xbox consoles on 10th November, Microsoft has announced.

That's the same day the Xbox Series X and S launch.

Then, beginning in December, members with an Ultimate or PC subscription can download and play games from the EA Play library on Windows 10 PCs.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It won’t change much if at all. If anything, I think you may see some games like Crossfire X where some parts of the game are gated behind a paywall.

MS are basically betting that Game Pass/Ultimate will generate more revenue in the long term than what Gold, game pass, and digital games (not DLC/MTX) have generated individually, and that revenue will need to be made up somewhere.

There's also:
- They hope to add users that actually weren't spending $120 / $180 a year before (buying 2 or 3 games on average).. so for these users even just signing up represents an overall platform revenue increase
- Third party games expire on the platform and have to be bought to continue playing, get someone hooked and they'll buy
- Exposing users to such a wide variety of games might get them into genres they weren't before, and they might buy other games
- Having a monthly fee tied to your service encourages you to use that platform over others, and just in general giving them access to so much content does the same

It's not all "making up for lost revenue" as it's flawed to state that every Gamepass user represents less revenue than they were generating before.

Nowcry

And it doesn’t even use Ray Tracing.

You know that the Global Illumination that exists for years uses RT for the calculation only that instead of doing it with the dedicated hardware the shaders / CPU are used and if you had the same calculation power you would obtain the same result.

I say it so that you stop saying nonsensical things and it seems that you do not know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Demon Souls is looking good but still not even close to UE5 benchmark.
We really need to stop making comparisons to the UE5 demo, the core technologies like Lumen and Nanite sure but the actual gameplay demo then no. Even such technologies are deep in development and won't become widespread for another year or two.

The visual style of the game as well as the artists visions are unique to every game. This art style will change drastically from RPG to closed world games and multiplayer games. The UE5 demo chose a very dry/dessert/rock environment, a good way to show off high polygon assets and high resolution textures but also because real-time dynamic/bounce lighting is easier to achieve and is less taxing on the GPU when there are environments with little to no foliage. This same art-style may work for a game like Uncharted but then again I'm curious to see how well UE5 will render foliage heavy environments which Uncharted game like, but back to my point this type of art style just won't work with games like Demon Souls.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

VargasPaPuM

Yeah, The pixels at the edge of the wood in Demon's Souls are as small as pixels seen in other native 4K PC games.
I am not sure if it's native 4K because if it is, Bluepoint would come out and say the game is native 4K. However, the game is using a fantastic image reconstruction that rivals DLSS.

Halo infinate, on the other hand, is trash. Some part of the screen are 720P while other parts are like 4K. The textures, shaders, and assest quality are X360 gen.
Halo infinity map is way bigger a lot of more triangles to process

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wasn’t Virtua fighter exclusive to Sega Saturn that generation? I remember playing on my Saturn but when I traded for a PlayStation I couldn’t play it.
I loved my Saturn because of those Sega exclusives.
Looked at Wikipedia and what you say seems to be correct.(y)
My memory is doing tricks on me. Must have been Tekken1 then.
Getting old.:lollipop_sad_relieved:

Allandor

I have no idea how you can say this doesn't match up to the UE demo.

ibywRCs.gif
It looks great, but it is not on the same level as the UE demo. The scene is much less complex and a real game :)
View distance is much smaller and also the darkness hide some of the "weaknesses" vs the UE demo. After all, the UE demo is just a tech demo and no real game.

But It looks really great.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Targets eliminated

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem
TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark
@Bryank76
@agnositc2020
V Voost Kain
Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 AGAIN,

New targets Acquired

EviLore EviLore
Nikana Nikana
@Dan_of_Rivia
jose4gg jose4gg
SatansReverence SatansReverence
THE:MILKMAN THE:MILKMAN
xacto xacto
IbelieveInGenerations IbelieveInGenerations
FranXico FranXico
D digital foundry

Wanted dead or alive ( it don't matter just get him) Mod of War Mod of War

There can only be one. its looking good. :messenger_heart:
Fish rule
xxxxxxx "lollipop_disappointed:

List reads like the rundown of bosses from an obscure jrpg from the 90s.

SatansReverance has an awful AOE attack, and Nikana’s second phase is a bastard.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait, Bryank got banned too? Dang. What is going on?
Seems the fun is over. Mods are clamping down on rampant fanboyism.

This will elevate the level of discussion, but it will also make it a lot more boring. I predict fewer funny posts, takedowns, and just an overall gestapo feel where you are constantly walking on eggshells. Basically era.

Let's hope that we are at least allowed to make fun of Sony, microsoft and Nintendo without fear of getting banned.

50383877436_26bb3e6748_k.jpg

50395155476_8dc35fafd3_k.jpg

Because Sony saw the market for Bleeding Edge was huge.

Edit: $70 plus looks like a GAAS with heavy MTX.

Nice but

We’ll tell you more about this bunch of diverse, charismatic, and heroic AllStars in a future Blog post.

Sony this game is coming out in just over a month!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Falc67

I have no idea how you can say this doesn't match up to the UE demo.

ibywRCs.gif

This looks amazing, but it doesn't match up to the UE5 demo. Have another look at the Demo. Only thing I've seen matching that is Hellblade 2, and we don't even know how representative that is of gameplay.

pasterpl

Bringing Bethesda Games to Xbox Game Pass

As we shared, Bethesda were early supporters of Xbox Game Pass, and we will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, coming to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios and Doom Eternal, which is coming to Xbox Game Pass on October 1 and for PC later in 2020.

bold bit suggested that it is not coming to other platforms

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This looks amazing, but it doesn't match up to the UE5 demo. Have another look at the Demo. Only thing I've seen matching that is Hellblade 2, and we don't even know how representative that is of gameplay.

Yes it does. The visual fidelity is as high. The LOD is as high. Feel free to provide direct comparisons if you like, but they’re on a par IMO. This is next gen. The only real next gen we’ve seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom