• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Please. They showed the best build they had 4 months out from release. I'd suggest that was "close" to a final build.

Relax though, with the extra time it'll no doubt get a lot better. Maybe Bethesda is helping out with some Fallout code.
Ok, so no source. Just your guess.

Zoro7

Banned
Dirt 5? Last thing I heard it had transfer of games. When did this change?

EDIT: Oh wait you mean that it doesn't transfer from PS4 -> PS5, and you think these companies might do this deliberately due to the marketing deal with Xbox?

I’m assuming at this point that save transfers from PS4 to PS5 is more difficult to implement than that on Xbox. I think companies have less incentive to do so as they don’t have the same marketing deals with PlayStation. All just assumptions here. Who really knows?

reksveks

My advice is wait til this time next year, and get a 1 TB Gen4 M2 SSD. That will work with for running PS5 games and should be available for a decent price by then.

The Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB is only $230 already at launch, give it time and get it on sale.

Got that Samsung for my PC but yeah. given that I cant see myself buying enough next-gen games at launch on the ps5, I definitely can wait.

kyliethicc

I’m assuming at this point that save transfers from PS4 to PS5 is more difficult to implement than that on Xbox. I think companies have less incentive to do so as they don’t have the same marketing deals with PlayStation. All just assumptions here. Who really knows?
Kojima once said that Sony told him Metal Gear Ground Zeroes was too small of a game to get a Platinum trophy. Then there was that shitty troll game called "my name is mayo" that got a platinum trophy because they asked for it.

Sometimes it seems like Sony has dumb inconsistencies and or some devs just don't push hard enough to get what they want from Sony.

There's Miles Morales, where the PS4 save can transfer to PS5. But this Dirt game can't? Makes no sense.

It was like how 505 said they couldn't upgrade people to the PS5 version of Control for free, but then did, then tried to pretend they didn't and undid it. Some of the devs/publishers are full of shit.

Last edited:

FranXico

Kojima once said that Sony told him Metal Gear Ground Zeroes was too small of a game to get a Platinum trophy. Then there was that shitty troll game called "my name is mayo" that got a platinum trophy because they asked for it.

Sometimes it seems like Sony has dumb inconsistencies and or some devs just don't push hard enough to get what they want from Sony.

There's Miles Morales, where the PS4 save can transfer to PS5. But this Dirt game can't? Makes no sense.

It was like how 505 said they couldn't upgrade people to the PS5 version of Control for free, but then did, then tried to pretend they didn't and undid it. Some of the devs/publishers are full of shit.
It's like Kojima called them on tuesday, and the other guys on Thursday.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And then some idiot robs the store only to find the boxes empty.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Then gets the bright idea to auction them off on ebay.
It's so funny seeing grab and runners do this to only stop by the door when they realise the box is empty 😁

Mr Moose

You're really trying to say this again? Reallllly?

Someone should have told the studio head.

We’re in the homestretch now and the team is working hard to put all the pieces together and polish the game while still navigating unprecedented challenges in our personal and professional lives. There’s a lot of work to be done, but I’m so proud of how much the team has accomplished and the tremendous progress being made every day. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we focus on the road to holiday.

36qgkw.gif

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I can definitely imagine that. Developers already have so little time, so if there is no money involved they will just ignore it probably.

You're really trying to say this again? Reallllly?
Well, personally I believe that Microsoft was never going to release this game like that, but I also think that the backlash on the footage fast-tracked that decision. It definitely helped Microsoft push to postpone it. Knowing this. I think it's still disingenuous to use that as a XSX benchmark, so if people really want to use it like that, then I'll keep asking for proof on where Microsoft said that this is what it would look like in the final build, and that they wanted to release it like that.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Yeah I can definitely imagine that. Developers already have so little time, so if there is no money involved they will just ignore it probably.

Well, personally I believe that Microsoft was never going to release this game like that, but I also think that the backlash on the footage fast-tracked that decision. It definitely helped Microsoft push to postpone it. Knowing this. I think it's still disingenuous to use that as a XSX benchmark, so if people really want to use it like that, then I'll keep asking for proof on where Microsoft said that this is what it would look like in the final build, and that they wanted to release it like that.
Mate if there wasn't an internet wide outrage caused by Craig they wouldn't have postponed it.
It's all the hate and the memes that forced their hand.
Do you think they're fond of postponing their one big console seller?

reksveks

Think that we have 3 different studio's suggest it's a technical issue (re cross gen saves) that devs have to try and overcome. Suspect cdpr and ubisoft probably have the marginal resources to overcome it but smaller devs maybe not.

Shio

I don't like what 505 did but just a thought, what if they said they could not upgrade it for free because the save file was not compatible....and even though they made it available, did anyone actually load it up and play to check if it all was ok? , maybe it cost them to make save file changes and that is why the need to charge for it?

Mr Moose

The build used to run the campaign demo was work-in-progress from several weeks ago with a variety of graphical elements and game systems still being finished and polished.

How much did you expect it to change from then until release until it was moved to next year?
Did you expect it to magically change into a good looking game? Fix the 720p stuff?
Maybe 343i are just a bit incompetent?
Do you think they would show off that gameplay and be then like "Oh don't worry, it won't look like that when released at launch, it'll look much much much better"? No. They were proud of what they showed off.

NeroDaGod

Lol, so you're asking people for proof but you have none to the contrary? Okay...

I'm sure they showed that footage at their CONSOLE SHOWCASE for a launch game which at the time would be releasing in 4 months for shits and giggles...

JTCx

How much did you expect it to change from then until release until it was moved to next year?
Did you expect it to magically change into a good looking game? Fix the 720p stuff?
Do you think they would show off that gameplay and be then like "Oh don't worry, it won't look like that when released at launch, it'll look much much much better"? No. They were proud of what they showed off.
Also it was their opening show with 8 minutes of gameplay. Acting like people were going to be blown away and gobble that shit up.

They shouldve just replayed that E3 2018 trailer lmao.

Vae_Victis

Banned
If they showed that gameplay, they definitely wanted to see people's response. If they already thought the gameplay looked terrible and the game had to be postponed anyway, they would have said the game was postponed and not published gameplay they already thought would damage the image of the game going forward.

In any case, yes, of course Halo is not indicative of what the XSX can do, it's just indicative of the fact that 343 is a mess right now.

The reason why most people who are dubious about the state of the XSX though do so not because of Halo, but rather the fact that so far Microsoft showed zero gameplay running on the console except for games that could or did easily run on an Xbox One as well, which will of course be pushing the hardware nowhere near its limits. I'm not saying there is a complete catastrophe going on behind the curtains, but if you combine late devkits/issues with first devkits for several developers + work from home + possible unfinished optimization of some APIs (ray tracing seems to stand out there, between The Medium removing the feature from the store page, and Halo before the delay and Devil May Cry announcing they would be patched in later - while on the same DMC they will be there day on on PS5), and you connect all the dots, I don't think it's insane to suggest more than one AAA next gen game is currently running on XSX below what Microsoft expects, and they are hesitant to show it off until the issue is band-aided as much as possible or they just have no other option anymore.

Last edited:

FranXico

Well, at least he clearly declares that he received a free console from Microsoft. Which is better than some of his contemporaries.
It goes without saying, it should be obvious it's MS sending the consoles. But it should indeed be communicated transparently.

xHunter

He's certainly mistaken (and already apologized for it), but it's such an odd decision and one that must be based in cash. Why not allow legacy controllers to be used?
How is it odd? As far as i know most, if not all, new consoles didnt allow the old controllers to be used. And that is not even that far of a stretch, since the controllers have new features. You couldnt use the 360 controller on the xbox one even though it was almost the same controller with the same tweaks we saw for DS4 vs DS.

I just dont understand this argument. Did you expect your DS4 to work on the PS5 when you bought it 7 years ago?

NEbeast

Bungie Acquisition Leak

kJJysIp.jpg

Take it with a grain of salt.

I hope not, Bungie said after Activision they want to stay independent. Being under someone else has never worked out for them. Under MS they weren't allowed the freedom to make Destiny, arguable the biggest looter on console. Under Activision they were under constant pressure to pump out DLC/sequels. They are better off being independent.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Source? As far as we know the build was weeks/months old and they delayed the game. So no, this wasn't the final build.

While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere!

They put a lot of effort into making sure the slice was good to show, so I think you can imply a lot from that in terms of how recent the build was - yes it was representative of where they were and what the launch target was. However to me that also rang a few alarm bells that perhaps they also knew they weren't ready for launch too, so ... :)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Mate if there wasn't an internet wide outrage caused by Craig they wouldn't have postponed it.
It's all the hate and the memes that forced their hand.
Do you think they're fond of postponing their one big console seller?
Like I said, I believe Microsoft would've postponed it anyway, and this just forced them to make that decision more quickly.

The developers never intended to show this footage, this was just the only footage they had. Marketing and Engineering where on different wavelengths, because Marketing kept hyping it up, while engineering knew they couldn't live up to it. Like I said, I don't believe they would release this game looking like that.

Lol, so you're asking people for proof but you have none to the contrary? Okay...

I'm sure they showed that footage at their CONSOLE SHOWCASE for a launch game which at the time would be releasing in 4 months for shits and giggles...
You do understand what "I believe" means, right? This is what I think, I never said that this was a fact. Unlike other people who claim it was going to release like that, even though they have no proof.

If they showed that gameplay, they definitely wanted to see people's response. If they already thought the gameplay looked terrible and the game had to be postponed anyway, they would have said the game was postponed and not published gameplay they already thought would damage the image of the game going forward.

In any case, yes, of course Halo is not indicative of what the XSX can do, it's just indicative of the fact that 343 is a mess right now.

The reason why most people who are dubious about the state of the XSX though do so not because of Halo, but rather the fact that so far Microsoft showed zero gameplay running on the console except for games that could or did easily run on an Xbox One as well, which will of course be pushing the hardware nowhere near its limits. I'm not saying there is a complete catastrophe going on behind the curtains, but if you combine late devkits/issues with first devkits for several developers + work from home + possible unfinished optimization of some APIs (ray tracing seems to stand out there, between The Medium removing the feature from the store page, and Halo before the delay and Devil May Cry announcing they would be patched in later - while on the same DMC they will be there day on on PS5), and you connect all the dots, I don't think it's insane to suggest more than one AAA next gen game is currently running on XSX below what Microsoft expects, and they are hesitant to show it off until the issue is band-aided as much as possible or they just have no other option anymore.
The gameplay was great btw, the actual Halo fans liked the gameplay, and the design (more old school Halo). The issue was with the quality of textures and graphics.

On devkit issues, and why Microsoft still hasn't shown anything. I agree, that there might be something, because it's taking them really long. We'll just have to wait.

Mr Moose

The developers never intended to show this footage, this was just the only footage they had. Marketing and Engineering where on different wavelengths, because Marketing kept hyping it up, while engineering knew they couldn't live up to it. Like I said, I don't believe they would release this game looking like that.
Do you really believe this?

Today, I’m thrilled to share the world premiere of Halo Infinite Campaign gameplay with fans around the world. This demo is the culmination of years of work from hundreds of passionate developers across 343 Industries so I want to start by thanking each and every one of them.
Studio Head, Chris Lee

Last edited:

TBiddy

They're trying to force developers to use all the gimmicks in PS5 games.

And while doing that, force their customers to repurchase controllers.

For PS5 games? Because they don't support the DualSense features. It's no different than last gen, you can't use PS3 controllers on PS4s (but you can use PS4 controllers on PS3s).

It's still odd. It would take very little effort to create an API that enables developers to discover if the controllers are legacy or not and thus enable advanced features or not.

How does it work with accessories? Guitars, wheels etc.? Do they all need to be repurchased as well for next-gen?

edit: accessories will work, it seems. Makes it even more odd that controllers wont, and it seems like an icecold business decision focused on maximizing profits.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Glad they're not forcing 4K at all price. And even more glad they're confirming more and more 60 fps games.
I agree. Let the devs pick whatever res and FPS works best.

Fake 4K, or 1440p / 1800p can still look great, and some games (like Destruction Allstars) should be 60 FPS minimum.

Make the game fun, run solid, look good. Don't just chase a big flashy number like 4K if it hurts the game.

Mr Moose

It's still odd. It would take very little effort to create an API that enables developers to discover if the controllers are legacy or not and thus enable advanced features or not.

How does it work with accessories? Guitars, wheels etc.? Do they all need to be repurchased as well for next-gen?
I think I read some accessories like wheels will work, and fight sticks or whatever they are called. My memory is shit though so could be wrong.
I don't get a new console to use old controllers though, so I am personally fine with old DualShock not working with PS5 games (I have 4).

NeroDaGod

You do understand what "I believe" means, right? This is what I think, I never said that this was a fact. Unlike other people who claim it was going to release like that, even though they have no proof.

Surely you understand what I was implying? I will explain it for you... I was pointing out how it's ironic that you're asking people to prove a view they have, which bearing in mind the circumstances, corroborate what they're saying, only because it goes against "what you believe".

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They're trying to force developers to use all the gimmicks in PS5 games.
Not really. The main issue is rumble vs haptics.

All PS4 games use rumble. Sony didn't force devs to, they all use it cause its useful.

All PS5 games will use haptics (instead of rumble) and so game devs shouldn't have to program their PS5 game for haptics and also for rumble just so some gamers can use DualShock 4s to play PS5 games.

Its actually dev friendly to say make your PS5 game just for the DualSense. They're not forcing devs to use all the extra bits, or making them do extra work by saying make your game work for 2 gens of controllers.

Riky

$MSFT
The gameplay was great btw, the actual Halo fans liked the gameplay, and the design (more old school Halo). The issue was with the quality of textures and graphics.

That was my impression after watching it, I was actually really pleased they had moved back towards the original game, the actual gameplay looked like classic Halo and that was a good thing. I'm still really looking forward to it.

kyliethicc

And while doing that, force their customers to repurchase controllers.

edit: accessories will work, it seems. Makes it even more odd that controllers wont, and it seems like an icecold business decision focused on maximizing profits.
No one wants to play PS4 games with the Sixaxis or DualShock 3. And no one cares that they can't.

Its perfectly normal. New gen, new controller.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really believe this?

Studio Head, Chris Lee
Yeah. That's what has been said afterwards, by insiders to Brad Sams. When studio heads talk that is very much marketing. Just like Todd Howard, Phil Spencer, Jim Ryan, etc. When they speak, it's marketing.
There’s also said to be a disconnect between the Halo marketing and creative teams, with the former trying to keep the hype train rolling even as development threatened to derail.

Source

Erm... yes? Do you lack reading comprehension? I was pointing out how it's ironic that you're asking people to prove a view they have, which bearing in mind the circumstances, corroborate what they're saying, only because it goes against "what you believe".
You make one wrong assumption. Those weren't "views" of people, they said them as facts. That's the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

FranXico

Not really. The main issue is rumble vs haptics.

All PS4 games use rumble. Sony didn't force devs to, they all use it cause its useful.

All PS5 games will use haptics (instead of rumble) and so game devs shouldn't have to program their PS5 game for haptics and also for rumble just so some gamers can use DualShock 4s to play PS5 games.

Its actually dev friendly to say make your PS5 game just for the DualSense. They're not forcing devs to use all the extra bits, or making them do extra work by saying make your game work for 2 gens of controllers.
The feedback API could very easily provide plain rumble if a DS4 is connected instead of a DualSense - this is done at a system level. Zero extra work for the developer who implemented haptics feedback calls.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Yeah. That's what has been said afterwards, by insiders to Brad Sams. When studio heads talk that is very much marketing. Just like Todd Howard, Phil Spencer, Jim Ryan, etc. When they speak, it's marketing.

Source

You make one wrong assumption. Those weren't "views" of people, they said them as facts. That's the difference.

This comes from an insider lol so that source is... questionable. And immediately after that sentence, " Of course, this is all rumour for now,".

Conveniently left that bit out to fit your narrative.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Source

That doesn't mean they didn't want to show that footage, they did. The team is probably just incompetent. They've had 5 years and that's what they came up with, I'd blame the studio as a whole.
Of course, this is all rumor for now, but Sams paints a pretty consistent and believable picture of 343 Industries as a studio beset with a chronic lack of focus. Here’s hoping they can rally and deliver the kind of Halo experience fans expect.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This comes from an insider lol and immediately after that sentence, " Of course, this is all rumour for now,".

Conveniently left that bit out to fit your narrative.
And you deliberately left out the rest of the sentence? "but Sams paints a pretty consistent and believable picture of 343 Industries as a studio beset with a chronic lack of focus."
Sams who is known to have his inside sources at Microsoft.

That doesn't mean they didn't want to show that footage, they did. The team is probably just incompetent. They've had 5 years and that's what they came up with, I'd blame the studio as a whole.
I would think engineering didn't want to show this footage, since they knew they couldn't live up to the hype. They let marketing go on for too long, they should've pulled them back a year ago. But oh well, what has happened, happened, and now we can wait for 2021.

TBiddy

No one wants to play PS4 games with the Sixaxis or DualShock 3. And no one cares that they can't.

Its perfectly normal. New gen, new controller.

Normal isn't always better. It's awesome that the Xbox controllers will also work next generation. For all those who have special editions, limited editions or even home-designed controllers, the ability to use them for next-gen as well is amazing.

There's a real risk that a lot of PS5 games won't utilize the new gimmicks, thus there would be no need to exclude legacy controllers.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
is this really a big deal? If games are coming out in the launch window are people really going to play on both platform? I mean I had COD Ghosts and AC IV as PS3 titles that were upgraded and only played them on PS4 🤷‍♂️
It's important for people not buying the PS5 at launch, but later on. Haven't you ever played a game, put it down, and returned to it 6 months later? Going further on wherever you then were in the game?

kyliethicc

The feedback API could very easily provide plain rumble if a DS4 is connected instead of a DualSense - this is done at a system level. Zero extra work for the developer who implemented haptics feedback calls.
We know many games are using the haptics in ways that CANNOT be replicated by a rumble motor.

"Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that it has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce." - Polyphony Digital

"The haptic feedback, in comparison to the vibration function of previous generations, allows us to utilize a much wider range, starting from a very strong vibration that is much more powerful than before, down to extremely light vibration. This way we can offer players very detailed, “textured” nuances. Because of this, our approach is different – it isn’t a transient or a constant vibration level anymore, it allows us to meticulously adjust the feedback throughout the game." – Kenji Kimura // Director, Ghostwire: Tokyo

You can't take a wider range of feedback and just condense it down to rumble. It'd be shit. And it'd hurt the game design and player experience.

And why would a game dev even bother with such ideas if some gamers won't even feel them? No. The only way to ensure game devs efforts are useful and guaranteed to be the same for all players is to require the new controller.

We have been using the same rumble feedback for over 20 years. Sony (and Nintendo) are trying to replace that with better haptic feedback. I want them to succeed despite Xbox's lagging behind because we need a new, better form of feedback for controllers. Its been 20 years. Devs need more tools to create with. And we deserve better experiences. This is beginning of the next 10-20 years of controller feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom