• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of downgrades....

yN5IWHU.jpg

Before crystal meth
After crystal meth

Xbox fans have realised even with Bethesda they have no first party for launch, very little for year one too. We're back to downplaying anything positive about PS5.
Pretty much. Celebrating a studio acquisition is fine but endlessly trolling because of it is premature and makes you look like a right tit.
Can't remember the amount of marked for trolling accounts I have come across in the past few weeks but it was quite a bit.
I warned one yesterday he might get banned because his account was marked for trolling. Dude just carried on trolling in the thread regardless and one of the mods booted him. So these Xbox guys are not too bright either.
Its like a disease or something. They just can't help but scratch that nasty itch.

Last edited:

benzy

Someone pointed out most of the leaves are missing in the window in that screenshot... very strange. Is this how Raytracing works? It only selectively reflects certain details? Or is something else going on here?

Devs can omit objects from being raytraced in the bvh data structure to save on performance resources. In Control on GTX cards even stuff like transparency effects from explosions are missing in RT reflections because they’re too big of a performance impact. Tree leaves in games are also made of transparencies.

Last edited:

Loxus

I've said this months back, but it's always worth mentioning again.

AMD's new cards are using 40CU / 80CU designs, with the 80CU GPU's utilizing their new stacking technology X3D. This means that the high end GPUs are more or less dual GPU's in one bundle, stacked. Of course we need to consider that cards will have 36/40 and 72/80 CU's, depending on how many (if any) CUs are disabled.

The Series X, while leveraging some of the RDNA 2 features (Fabrication process, co-processors, etc), doesn't use the "regular" RDNA 2 "template", so to speak. This is probably because of the need to have the 52CU APU run as a server for XCloud. That's ok.

So, at the end of the day, we have

PS5 - Closer to the RDNA 2 "template", with most of its features (the ones Sony deemed necessary) and Sony's own extensive customization
XSX - Seems like it's MS's own design, apparently grabbing more features from stock RDNA 2 and including MS own customization

Funny thing is, past disproven rumors said that the PS5 is RNDA 1 with RDNA 2 features tacked on, but the Series X actually deviates further from the RDNA 2 design. Nevertheless, both consoles are RDNA 2.
Also this patent by Sony could have something to do with RDNA 2
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200242723.pdf

I remember Mark Cerny in Road tp Ps5, "If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds. It doesn't mean that we as Sony simply incorporated the PC part into our console."
Sounds to me like how they removed bottle necks from the SSD, they did to the GPU. Thus helping AMD co-engineer RDNA 2.

RDNA 2 could be chiplet based for the 80CCU designs.
40/40 for two chiplets or GPU and I/O chiplets like in the Sony patent.
Also, the PS5 could be a Chiplet based APU, separating the CPU, GPU and I/O like in the Road to PS5.

s0bYWWT.jpg

This is my speculation btw.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

I remember Mark Cerny in Road tp Ps5, "If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology useful in both worlds. It doesn't mean that we as Sony simply incorporated the PC part into our console."
Sounds to me like how they removed bottle necks from the SSD, they did to the GPU. Thus helping AMD co-engineer RDNA 2.

Also, the PS5 could be a Chiplet based APU, separating the CPU, GPU and I/O like in the Road to PS5.

s0bYWWT.jpg

You know what? I think you're right. Look at that image. MAIN CUSTOM CHIP: CPU + GPU + I/O COMPLEX, which by the way seems to take the bigger area of the chip. I never noticed that!

It explicitly says CHIP, so all of those things are in one! Good catch!

splattered

Devs can omit objects from being raytraced in the bvh data structure to save on performance resources. In Control on GTX cards even stuff like transparency effects from explosions are missing in RT reflections because they’re too big of a performance impact. Tree leaves in games are also made of transparencies.

Sweet thanks i was hoping it was something like that

travisktl

That wasn't the final build of Halo 😂
That's not necessarily the problem with Halo. The issue is that it has had a $500 million budget, has been in development since 2017, and Microsoft was using that as the killer app for Series X...and it still looks like a Xbox One/Xbox One X game.

On the opposite side of things, Bluepoint put out Shadow of The Colossus in 2018, so you can guess they started on Demon's Souls not too long after. I'm sure their budget is a fraction of what has been used for Halo, they're not a first party studio, and Demon's Souls looks like one of those fake pre-rendered target next gen videos, but it's actually real and fully playable. It just doesn't make sense why Halo looks so bad, despite that being a final build or not. There are really no excuses.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

s0bYWWT.jpg

This actually been on my mind for a while now, RedGamingTech alluded to the PS5’s APU having a chiplet design however he worded in a strange way as if he didn’t want to reveal too much, I’ll have to dig the video back up but this makes a lot of sense considering what’s officially been revealed.

LED Guy?

Banned
Speaking of downgrades....

yN5IWHU.jpg
I think those were taken in different scenarios and lighting? Also the 2nd pic on the right is quite blurry, we can't make full judgements though, and there are many customizable hairs, clothes, skin, facial features, so things might differ.

Also the latest gameplay & trailers proved that the game got a huge graphical upgrade over 2018.

Loxus

I've said this months back, but it's always worth mentioning again.

AMD's new cards are using 40CU / 80CU designs, with the 80CU GPU's utilizing their new stacking technology X3D. This means that the high end GPUs are more or less dual GPU's in one bundle, stacked. Of course we need to consider that cards will have 36/40 and 72/80 CU's, depending on how many (if any) CUs are disabled.

The Series X, while leveraging some of the RDNA 2 features (Fabrication process, co-processors, etc), doesn't use the "regular" RDNA 2 "template", so to speak. This is probably because of the need to have the 52CU APU run as a server for XCloud. That's ok.

So, at the end of the day, we have

PS5 - Closer to the RDNA 2 "template", with most of its features (the ones Sony deemed necessary) and Sony's own extensive customization
XSX - Seems like it's MS's own design, apparently grabbing more features from stock RDNA 2 and including MS own customization

Funny thing is, past disproven rumors said that the PS5 is RNDA 1 with RDNA 2 features tacked on, but the Series X actually deviates further from the RDNA 2 design. Nevertheless, both consoles are RDNA 2.
Also, your part with PS5/XSX got me thinking.
PS5 was said to be Ariel/Oberon, XBSX Arden
Komachi has AMD GPU categized by generation.
https://komachizaregoto.blogspot.com/2019/08/amd-gfx-id-which-generation-is-chip.html

0BOM3UH.png

Ryzen CPU are categized like this.
Zen: 1st Generation
Zen+: 2nd Generation
Zen2: 3rd Generation
Zen3: 4th Generation

What if RDNA is like that,
ASIC ID : GFX10 = NAVI For SCBU.
: GFX1000 = ARIEL/OBERON = PS5 not categized in any RDNA category. Probably a unique design.

ASIC ID : GFX10_1 = RDNA1 = 1st Generation
: NAVI10.
: NAVI12.
: NAVI14.
ASIC ID : GFX10_2 = RDNA1 Revision = 2nd Generation
: GFX1020 = ARDEN = XBSX not in RDNA 2 category
: NAVI10. Revision
ASIC ID : GFX10_3 = RDNA2. = 3rd Generation
: NAVI21.
: NAVI22.
: NAVI23.
ASIC ID : GFX10_4 = RDNA2 Revision = 4th Generation
: GFX1040 = VANGOGH LITE = MERO (?).
ASIC ID : GFX11 = RDNA3?
: GFX1100 = Reserved = NAVI31.

Just another speculation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone know if Skyrim and Fallout 4 will be 60 fps? Pretty sure they got 4k’ed on One X but they definitely stayed 30fps.

if they get 60fps I might pick up playing again.

THE:MILKMAN

Do you think anyone is a bit miffed that Sony didn't send them a console? I just find it funny that only Japanese youtubers are getting them.

Will be interesting to find out the reason(s) Sony have chosen the strategy they have. Are they being quiet because they want to hide stuff until the last possible minute or did they just decide they couldn't be bothered with all the game media and influencer PR effort? I mean the latter is basically the Nintendo strategy and that has worked amazingly for them!

Last edited:

saintjules

And then some idiot robs the store only to find the boxes empty.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Then gets the bright idea to auction them off on ebay.

Side note - Ebay is actually cracking down a bit on the selling of the PS5 Consoles. The snapshots of pre order receipts are being flagged. While you can still sell the Console, Ebay will not allow you to list them until you actually are in possession of it. They want to make sure that you can get it to the buyer within 30 days. 'High demand items' was also discussed in the error I got 😂

When did you pre-order yours? I have faith Submarino will get mine ready for pick up in an Americanas store near my home on November 20th.

Boletei o meu no dia 19. Pagamento reconhecido dia 22 e previsão de entrega para dia 30.

Disseram que este é o prazo máximo. Tomara que venha, no mínimo, com 6 dias de antecedência ao prazo máximo previsto.

LED Guy?

Banned
Wow talk about a YouTube bottom feeder, that guy just watches the forums and finds something to complain about every day.
Well I don't see it that way, he's one of the most helpful YouTubers that sticks it to fraudulent and predatory companies' like EA, Activision and all others when they do shady stuff and all that, and exposes them for their shady tricks.

NY_Metropolitan

Neo Member
Have any of you guys trade-in your ps4 towards your ps5 pre-order?

I have a ps4 slim 500gb.

I have my ps5 almost paid off at GS($380 so far).

Maybe I get something for it at GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom